Hop To
#4116197 - 05/05/15 04:18 AM Distance Runners  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I started a topic a few months ago while I was deployed to Kuwait about running in general. Great tips, bought some good shoes, and started running about 3-4 times a week. Helped me get an excellent score for my USAF PT test...something I hadn't done for years! My USAF PT test only requires 1.5 miles and I did that in 13:25. For my age (48) that's pretty decent. During that time I usually ran 2.2 - 3.3 miles (course around the base was 1.1 miles).

My 21 year old daughter found out I'd started running and has now asked if I'd like to participate in the Indianapolis 500 Mini Marathon (13.1 miles) next year with her. My first thought was "no freaking way!", but then I started to think this could be one of those cool family memories we could share.

So, I feel pretty good doing about 3 miles...how the heck do I get up to 13.1 miles??? My legs feel pretty rubbery after 3 miles right now.

Marathon guys, do you push or just keep a steady pace just to finish? I'd be good just finishing and not racing...lol.

What kind of tips could you offer an older guy who's only been running for a few months?

To get into marathon shape, do you run long distances all the time or take it easy at all?

TIA!

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4116207 - 05/05/15 04:52 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
It's pretty simple:

3 days a week, run Sprints, build them up to where you can sprint 200 meters then rest till your heart rate is down around 100 bpm.

Then alternate weeks one week do one long distance run of 6 miles and the next week do it twice then back to 1. It will minimize the pounding your body takes.

Schedule it out till you get to 15 miles for the 13.1 mile race.

I have another workout by a PHD trainer for the Olympics who used to come by the Compound and train us, but the short is what you see above.

One thing to note, don't immediately start sprinting at 100%. Start out at like 70% and build up over a couple of weeks to where you are at 90-95%. Also, never start at full speed, do a few at 70% and then the rest at 100%.

Also, learn dynamic stretches and get a foam roller. Make sure you stretch your hip-flexors too.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4116212 - 05/05/15 05:04 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Not that I'm an accomplished runner by any stretch of the imagination, but I found it a big help to sign up for a few intermediate races spaced out between now and the goal event. They will help to keep you on track.

Last edited by Paul Rix; 05/05/15 05:05 AM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4116217 - 05/05/15 05:30 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Paul Rix]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I've actually thought about that Tough Mudder stuff you were talking about too.

Mid life crisis? Not really...just been out of shape for too long...lol.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4116222 - 05/05/15 06:08 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
Well, there's many ways to skin a cat, but here's my take.
Avoid injury! That will really throw a wrench in your plans. So, at the first sign of anything but ordinary sore muscles, go very easy till it's gone. I find as I get older, it takes a very long time to recover.

As for running, I like long and slow training for distance. It won't make you fast, but it will prepare your tendons and muscles for the distance, while minimizing the risk of injury.
I went from just making the basic PT test to a halfmaraton, in just under 4 months, and a full marathon 3 months after that. I trained 3-4 times a week, with two to three 5 or 8 km trips, and one 15 to 20 km trip.
That was at the ripe old age of 40
If you want to get faster, I absolutely agree with Timothy's post, but be very carefull when sprinting.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#4116337 - 05/05/15 01:16 PM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Tough Mudder was a lot of fun and I might do it again next year, we will see. I am more likely to continue with running though. A year ago I couldn't run a mile without having to walk a bit. In the subsequent months I have run a 5K, 10K and 10 mile road race. My schedule isn't conducive to a proper routine, so my training has been somewhat random, which hasn't helped at all.

Despite the aches and pains I am feeling this week (after the Tough Mudder event this past weekend), I generally feel 100% more energized than I used to. My next goal will be a Half Marathon and then we will see about a full marathon in 2016 (maybe).

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4117224 - 05/07/15 02:43 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Weasel: There are sites online which can generate a good training plan which will ramp you up on the distance appropriately. I recommend looking into one.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4117257 - 05/07/15 07:29 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Beerman Offline
Beerman  Offline

Since you've only been running for a few months, your goal should be to put miles in your legs. Increasing the total mileage you run each week should be your priority.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend a 3-2-1 running routine. This routine calls for 6 runs each week broken up into 3 short runs, 2 intermediate runs, and 1 long run. For example I usually run about 27 miles per week so I run 3 miles 3 times, 4.5 miles twice, and 9 miles once.

Figure out how many miles you're running per week and increase volume by roughly 10 percent each week. The most important thing is you need to go slow to get fast. It sounds strange, but the idea is being able to run the miles without burning out and getting injured. Only 2 of my short runs are at my half-marathon pace of 8:30/mile. The rest of the runs are done at about 10:30/mile. I don't recommend incorporating any sprints because you really don't have a strong base yet.

Beerman

#4117271 - 05/07/15 08:54 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I'd also agree with concentrating on increasing distance rather than speed. Interval training may be the quickest way to get faster, but it's much more aggressive and will significantly increase the chances of injury.

#4117295 - 05/07/15 11:39 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Longest i've ever ran....8+ miles Aloha run Hawaii. Held every year for charity.

Would still rather do that than the 12 mile road marches in the Army lol.

#4117658 - 05/08/15 02:06 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Brun]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted By: Brun
I'd also agree with concentrating on increasing distance rather than speed. Interval training may be the quickest way to get faster, but it's much more aggressive and will significantly increase the chances of injury.

This, if you're planning just to finish then all you really need to do is run longer distances at whatever pace allows you to go that long, maybe with a shorter, faster run thrown in the mix. I'd give myself 1 full day off between longer runs, though, because the body does need more time to recover at our age (I'm 46.) Pay extra attention to diet, too, protein will build & repair muscles so you'll need a lot of it. Carbs give quick energy but are gone fast. Eat a LOT of proteins for 2 or 3 days before the race, and overdose on carbs the day before. They'll get you through the first 8-10 miles.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4117716 - 05/08/15 07:19 AM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Just ran a big marathon PR 3 weeks ago, 2:48:44

I put in the miles this winter. All I did for speed was do a few shorter races about once a month to get some speed in.

To avoid injury the key is to get good running shoes. Also make sure you stretch. Slowly build your mileage up each week, no more than 10% each week. Then your 4th week is a recovery week with less mileage. Then start up 3 weeks again building up slowly. I did this all winter building up from 30 to 65 miles a week. 2 week taper before the race to give your legs a break and boom then it's go time smile

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4117820 - 05/08/15 01:04 PM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Hugely impressive Kestrel, congratulations. Not far off the pace of my fastest 5k, really puts it into perspective.

#4117897 - 05/08/15 04:09 PM Re: Distance Runners [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Thanks for all the tips!

I did get a good pair of Asics running shoes while I was deployed and immediately noticed a difference. I have a year to prep for the Indy half marathon, so I might try to squeeze in some smaller charity 5K or 10K things just to get a feel and maybe get my head into it more.

The mental thing is what holds me back the most I think...I get bored easily. I ran a couple miles the other day out in the country and it was nice. Change of scenery and all. I could have gone a few more miles I think but I saw my wife about a half mile away pull into my driveway from work and then my mind shut off and I just wanted to get back home. Legs are feeling pretty good though. After runs before I'd feel the burn and would be sore for a couple days...now the recovery is very quick and I'm not sore.

Thanks again!

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.