Cargo : 0 T
Fuel : 8 T
Mass : 455.0 T empty
463.0 T full
Range : 10.43 LY unladen
10.43 LY laden
Price : 83,783,156 CR
Re-Buy: 4,189,158 CR @ 95% insurance

With a 10.43LY jump range, it gets nowhere very fast. It also has very limited power for what modules it can carry so at the moment, my FSD, Wake Scanner, Interdictor, and Fuel Scoop are turned off once I deploy hardpoints.

I'm really looking for a reason to keep it. I like the firepower but it seems that it's only good for PvE on Resource Extraction Sites or Nav Beacons. Hunting down assassination missions or going after a player on PvP and the short jump range just gets in the way. Heck, even just going from Point A (high tech system for upgrades) to Point B (system with lots of RES'es) is a pain!! Mounting a Fuel Scoop is now essential as it has very short legs and a tiny fuel tank. Does anyone have a loadout for the FDL that gets more jump range but also keeps a decent amount of firepower?

I've also had a Python before and I really liked the layout of the weapons. The FDL is odd because the biggest hardpoint is on the belly which means the target needs to be on "the waterline" or even slightly below, and the bars in the canopy frequently get in the way. The 4 other hardpoints are best used with the target 30 degrees or even higher above the waterline, that way the body of the FDL doesn't get in the way very much and the guns can track much better. From my limited Python experience, it's hardpoint layout means it doesn't have this problem.

Currently, my FDL is valued at around 75M Cr. and I know stripping it before selling it would net me another couple million credits, so here is a roughly similar in value Python fit:
Click to reveal..
[Python]
L: 3C/G Cannon
M: 2D/G Beam Laser
M: 2D/G Beam Laser
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0I Heat Sink Launcher
U: 0A Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0A Frame Shift Wake Scanner
BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 7C Power Plant
TM: 6B Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4E Life Support
PC: 7B Power Distributor
SS: 6E Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)
6: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
6: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
6: 6E Shield Generator
5: 4E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 16)
3: 1E Basic Discovery Scanner
2: 1E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 2)
---
Shield: 299.48 MJ
Power : 12.10 MW retracted (48%)
22.95 MW deployed (92%)
25.00 MW available
Cargo : 82 T
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 731.2 T empty
845.2 T full
Range : 16.14 LY unladen
14.57 LY laden
Price : 83,175,963 CR
Re-Buy: 4,158,798 CR @ 95% insurance

The Python does not have the same amount of Utility slots so I'm losing out on Point Defence and ECM. How many human pirates carry missiles? I've yet to find out, so I hope this doesn't bite me in the rear. I can either go for 3 big cannons and 2 smaller beam lasers or a more expensive fit of 3 big beam lasers and 2 smaller multi-cannons. However, even with a 6A Shield, the FDL seems to have a more powerful shield coverage with a 5A Shield. On the other hand, the Python isn't as prone to power problems and it is surprising what an extra 3-5 LY jump range can do to shorten jump routes.

All in all, I'm really looking for a good reason to keep the FDL. The canopy obstruction does not help, the off-set seat is a little odd everytime I sit down, and the jump range is pathetic. It does have good speed, good maneuverability, and an awesome array of weapons though. If only the targets would stay in the same system or ones within 10LY jump distance. Please, can anyone help?

- Ice
#4114776 - 05/02/15 10:24 AM Re: FDL vs. Python for my needs [Re: - Ice]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I don't know ice.

The fer de lance is a good pvp / pve ship. But as you said, its jump range is its Achilles heel. At present its a good system defence ship, but tracking down enemy, it can't do it. Even a viper gets more jump range.

From some of the yt vids I have watched, many state that down grading the huge class belly weapon for something smaller may be a better compromise for power and jump range. Have you tried that?

Can you keep the hull and get the python as well?

If only you could transfer equipment from ship to ship instead of selling and repurchasing, that would be very beneficial.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4114988 - 05/02/15 10:04 PM Re: FDL vs. Python for my needs [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Why have a Class 4 hull to mount a Class 3 weapon? dizzy

I've managed to tweak it out a bit to get a little more jump range so now it is serviceable but whether it remains in my ship hangar remains to be seen. I can strip it and keep the hull but if I don't like it, I might as well sell it as well and it'll mean I can get the Python straight away. If I keep the hull, I'll need some major credit-grinding to get a Python as well.

"Transferring equipment from ship-to-ship" is possible if you mean just transferring a F2 Multi-cannon from the FDL to the Python since you don't lose credits when selling modules so just sell the module, go to the next ship, load the module.

- Ice

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.