Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 442 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 441 442
#4113861 - 04/30/15 04:29 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, that's a thoughtful award. Thanks so much. I'm still trying to decide on my next incarnation. Olham PM'd a suggestion for another Canadian, and I have two other ideas.

I am really going to miss Cam. Mind you, his cat's feeling pretty good about things, and I'm sure Cam's smiling down when he realises that he never did repay his father all the money he borrowed for flight school in Toronto.

Cheers, and see you in the virtual skies again later.

#4113875 - 04/30/15 04:41 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I'm pretty sure that if he had been a real person, Cam's father would have given all the money in the world to get his son back.

The cat might have felt differently, though! smile

Congrats on getting new bling-bling, guys!

All these recent losses have made me very nervous about continuing my DID career. I hope I can reach at least 200 hours with Niemann!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4113884 - 04/30/15 04:57 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: HarryH]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Originally Posted By: HarryH

.... and maybe try to get into an RE-8 with your next pilot?

Nope. Sgt. Chuck Steak from Canton shot down and killed on his first mission, Re-8.

This just ain't workin'.

#4113909 - 04/30/15 05:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

In Memory Of The Canadian Pilot Cameron Fraser - Rest In Peace

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4113955 - 04/30/15 06:34 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Wow, very nice Olham. I'm sure his parents will treasure this!

I need a change in order to get over losing Cam. I've decided to take a crack with a new German pilot tonight. Here's the back story.

Dieter Kirchhoff comes from Heidelberg. He was a student at the University, choosing to study biology and medicine at the insistence of his father, a prominent surgeon. Dieter, however, was a party animal. After a lacklustre undergraduate year he went to Oxford in 1913 to study and practise his English. When the crisis of July 1914 intensified, his father insisted that he return home at once.

His return to Heidelberg saw him pay more attention to girls than books, undoubtedly due to his relief at escaping the all-male and moralistic confines of Oxford. He probably would have been "sent down" from the University if the outbreak of war hadn't given him the opportunity of joining the cavalry. He served from November 1914 to September 1916 with the 26th Cavalry Brigade of the 7th Cavalry Division. Arriving too late for the mobile war, Dieter found himself engaged in boring occupation duties in Belgium. He harangued his superiors for a transfer to the Luftstreitkraefte for months. His transfer came through just in time to avoid going to Romania with the division.

#4113980 - 04/30/15 07:16 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: JimAttrill]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
Flight Lieutenant David Daggerty RNAS has finally broken his duck! He managed to shoot down an Albatros DIII with his PUP - although I must admit the Hun pilot seemed to want to commit suicide and flew along happily with me following him for a while. I thought he was a wingman until the penny dropped. Anyway it only took 45 sorties and 45 hours to get this far. The hun pilot had hit him a few times before this so he flew home to Marieux with 80% health and cannot fly again for a few days.

Congrats, Jim!!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4113981 - 04/30/15 07:19 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted By: Raine
Wow, very nice Olham. I'm sure his parents will treasure this!

I need a change in order to get over losing Cam. I've decided to take a crack with a new German pilot tonight. Here's the back story.

Dieter Kirchhoff comes from Heidelberg. He was a student at the University, choosing to study biology and medicine at the insistence of his father, a prominent surgeon. Dieter, however, was a party animal. After a lacklustre undergraduate year he went to Oxford in 1913 to study and practise his English. When the crisis of July 1914 intensified, his father insisted that he return home at once.

His return to Heidelberg saw him pay more attention to girls than books, undoubtedly due to his relief at escaping the all-male and moralistic confines of Oxford. He probably would have been "sent down" from the University if the outbreak of war hadn't given him the opportunity of joining the cavalry. He served from November 1914 to September 1916 with the 26th Cavalry Brigade of the 7th Cavalry Division. Arriving too late for the mobile war, Dieter found himself engaged in boring occupation duties in Belgium. He harangued his superiors for a transfer to the Luftstreitkraefte for months. His transfer came through just in time to avoid going to Romania with the division.

..the makings of a fine story in prospect! Looking forward to hearing Dieter's adventures, Raine!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4113990 - 04/30/15 07:41 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Jim -- Congratulations. I recall reading in Ira Jones's biography of Mannock, King of the Airfighters, how the first kill was such an important boost to morale for a pilot. I'm sure you're feeling the same way. Binge time!

#4113994 - 04/30/15 07:51 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Olham
In Memory Of The Canadian Pilot Cameron Fraser - Rest In Peace

Wow, Impressive indeed Olham! You never fail to amaze me with your graphics skills! Nice touch with the shadow cast by the photo!

Cam has gone West?? I missed that post! Geez! I will greatly miss his stories!! I was really engulfed in them.

I will have a single malt tonight in his honour, Raine!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/30/15 08:02 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4113998 - 04/30/15 07:56 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Cadogan West arose a little later than usual as it was his day off. After breakfast he went to enquire after a ride to Longavesnes.

Naismith told him that the major had taken all of the tenders on a mission.
"A mission? We are the flying corps! Where has he gone?"
"I couldn't say."

Cadogan reflected on it a bit. He would like to see Pressler.
"It's my day off, Naismith." West declared, "but I should like to take my aeroplane up for testing. The paint should be dry by now."
Naismith shrugged. "You should check with Captain Walsingham. He is strictly speaking OC until Kirk gets back."

The recording officer was typing up one of his many reports as West rapped on his door.
"Hello, Walsingham. I'd like to take B1779 up for a test."
Walsingham looked at Cadogan's earnest face and sighed.
"On your day off, West? Where are you really going? Amiens again?"
"Not at all. I want to visit my old squadron at Longavesnes if I may. The old man has all of the tenders out. I promise to stay out of trouble. And I really will be testing out the kite. I want to know if the new paint job cuts out dazzle."

Walsingham's brow furrowed a bit and Cadogan was afraid that the recording officer would prevent his plan.

"Very well, West," the recording officer said at length. "Just don't give me any reason to regret it!"

It is a joy to fly a Sopwith Pup on a spring morning without the tension of battle. Cadogan West flew low across the French countryside. Mostly open and empty fields were below him, but here and there clumps of trees and a steeple suggested a small village.
The land was becoming more richly green all the time and Cadogan found himself swooping a little as he thought of the joys of spring.

Longavesnes was close to the front, but slightly sheltered by low round hills. BE2e's were in the sheds and the arrival of the Pup aroused much interest.

Cadogan West saw recognition and smiles in the faces of many of the air mechanics, but most of the air crew were new and did not know who he was.

"Is Major Hunt still in command?" West asked.
"Hunt?" A lieutenant looked confused. "I think he was before my time."
"Clarke? Nash?" Cadogan skirted around the name of his former observer as fear gripped his heart.
"I don't recognise the name of Clarke. Captain Nash went west about a week ago." The Quirk pilot said. "We've had a bad month of it, I'm sorry to say."

"I could ask Captain Pressler about Clarke." The pilot looked so young to Cadogan, who was only just approaching 19 himself. Perhaps it was in the uncertain way he conducted himself?

But he had just said Pressler.

Sidney Pressler didn't look young. Not that he ever had done to West, who had completely forgotten that the observer had scolded him for his poor formation flying only 5 months before.

Pressler laughed aloud to see Cadogan.
"Well look at you, Westie! I'm glad to see you're alive!"

The two spent the afternoon reminiscing and sharing news. Many a good man had fallen that month and it was good to find comfort in those that remained.

----------

I'm very sorry to hear about Cam. He had won affection from us all I think, Raine.
Good luck to Dieter Kirchhoff!

Two German officers crossed the Rhine, Skidoo, Skidoo
To love the women and drink the wine, Skidoo, Skidoo.
Landlord, you've a daughter fair, with lily-white arms and golden hair.
Skidoo, skidoo, skidoodely-doo, skideedley-dee, skidum.

Loftyc! Is that 2 pilots? Oh dear!

Thank you for the medal Lou. I'd have told the story of its presentation today, but I wanted to do the Captain Pressler bit to round off April.

Jim, congratulations on the victory! I was thinking only yesterday how we are the only two Pup pilots left. She's still a marvellous plane and a serious contender in these early 1917 skies.

#4114026 - 04/30/15 08:47 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Very excellent memorial, Olham

#4114035 - 04/30/15 09:01 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I agree, a very nice memorial indeed.

Maeran, another excellent addition to Cadogan’s ongoing story. Well done.

Jim, that really is an incredibly believable run you have going in terms of the number of hours and missions it took you to get that first victory. Makes it all the sweeter.

Raine, I look forward to Dieter Kirchhoff's adventures.

MFair, sounds like Herman is having a rough go of it. Let's hope the month of May will be better for him.

lederhosen, I really like Emil's new mount. Very nice.

carrick, you actually got to see AA hit one of the planes in your flight? That's a rarity.

Olham, congrats on the promotion to Hauptmann.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4114041 - 04/30/15 09:17 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Maeran]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Originally Posted By: Maeran

Loftyc! Is that 2 pilots? Oh dear!

actually, Chuck Steak was #3. I'm having a tough time getting things going here.

#4114043 - 04/30/15 09:24 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

loftyc, my first pilots also had all bad starts - incredible how much can go wrong.
But then I must also admit that I was pushing harder than I do now.
Stop trying to force things to happen - react more than to act - and you may survive.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4114044 - 04/30/15 09:24 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
2 seaters are becoming increasingly tough. I wouldn't stay in them a minute longer than I have to these days.
At the first sign of trouble - run!
I wouldn't even wait around. You see dots in the distance? Binoculars out and zoom in. Are they heading your way? Run!

Save the fighting until you are in a machine that can actually fight.

Last edited by Maeran; 04/30/15 09:26 PM.
#4114050 - 04/30/15 09:49 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I may have made a mistake. After my mission today I noticed that the date was May 1st. Mine went from the April 29 to May 1st.

It really does not matter as on return from a balloon busting mission near Monchy, Hamm was pancaked by HA Gerrard on landing. He died in a big ol' crater right in the middle of the field. Of course Gerrard was ok.

Note: I have seen some crazy flying on takeoff with 1RNAS since I joined. I almost got hit twice. Once by the above offender. I had made a habit to stay clear on take offs until everyone was formed up but didn't know I had to be carefull on landing.

Who now? Ian? Ichabod? Ike? Issac?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4114055 - 04/30/15 09:56 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Good grief! Can everyone please try not to die?!

Inigo. Igor? Ivan? Ira?

#4114109 - 05/01/15 01:05 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: MFair]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: MFair
I may have made a mistake. After my mission today I noticed that the date was May 1st. Mine went from the April 29 to May 1st.

It really does not matter as on return from a balloon busting mission near Monchy, Hamm was pancaked by HA Gerrard on landing. He died in a big ol' crater right in the middle of the field. Of course Gerrard was ok.

Note: I have seen some crazy flying on takeoff with 1RNAS since I joined. I almost got hit twice. Once by the above offender. I had made a habit to stay clear on take offs until everyone was formed up but didn't know I had to be carefull on landing.

Who now? Ian? Ichabod? Ike? Issac?

Mine did the same! I thought it was an early senior moment.
Oh NO .... Herman Hamm was taken out by HA on landing.... nope

RIP Herman salute

#4114110 - 05/01/15 01:05 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Igor gets my vote.
Itchy is a close second

#4114118 - 05/01/15 01:23 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

We've lost Herman now as well? Man, May is starting out pretty damned bloody too. Condolences MFair.

For your next pilot, consider Ivanhoe. Not only a strong, historical name, but also fitting when and if you plow up the mud after falling from the heavens as "God's gracious tiller of the soil". winkngrin

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Page 259 of 442 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM