Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#4172943 - 09/24/15 05:02 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
The escaped pilot turned out to be the leader of Jasta 27 Hermann Göring.
Of course he doesn't know how much the history could have been altered or what Butterfly effect he produced
by not being able to kill him, if there wasn't this certain bent bullet.

So would be cool if you watch them in a serial order. thumbsup

Great job you are doing there, Creaghorn, and yes - I intend to watch them all in serial order.

That thought about Göring makes me wonder even further.
Manfred von Richthofen almost got shot dead by a single bullet, hitting his rear upper head.
It was bad enough as it was - he was unconscious for some time, and unable to fly the plane.
Good for him, that the Albatros D.V flew kinda waves, when let alone. In a Fokker Dr. I it might have been a different story.
And he would have never become this historical ace with no less but 80 victories.

Arthur Gould Lee's joystick once got slammed towards his belly by a single defensive bullet from a two-seater,
and his Sopwith Pup reared up. Imagine what a thin "stripe of luck" the width of that joystick was for him!
I guess that you needed - besides all the best qualities as a fighter pilot - a huge amount of luck,
or the nine lives of a cat, to survive that air war.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4173827 - 09/27/15 12:03 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia

#4173899 - 09/27/15 08:35 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Sorry, I know I promised to watch them in serial order, but I couldn't resist having a "sneak preview", Creaghorn. eek2

First I was shocked to read "Deceased" - but then it was another pilot - phew!
That Fokker pilot was really good! You had me worried there for a bit: turn-fighting a Fokker D.VII with a SPAD XIII
didn't seem to be a good idea? But then you did what I would have done too - try to run away.
When he was still there after passing through a cloud, I knew he must have been a German ace.
It was a lot of luck used up by this encounter - his rounds might have hit vital parts, or even you.

But it was good to see that even a careful crack like you can get into such calamities!
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

#4173915 - 09/27/15 10:32 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Yeah, he was very lucky, and the Fokker-pilot was really latched on him. Though Brasco did some mistakes in this flight. The first spin was not on purpose, he lost drag and fell into the spin so the initial advantage was gone. Since then he was more or less forced to evade this aggressive German. Every time he could have use his speed to fly away the Fokker-pilot either had the advantage of height and closed in, or Brasco was flying to the wrong direction. Since his roll capabilities suffered due to the hits he received he had to turn rather slowly into the right direction and then trying to run away. This what maybe looked like a turnfight but not to fight but rather to run away. In the clouds he changed directions in the hope the Hun will continue his way straight on but he didn't fall into the trap. So indeed very very lucky that he got out of this unharmed. Still a mistery why the German turned away home when he had prepared Brasco pretty good for the kill. Stuff like that is what makes WOFF the very best game of all time. Especially with the death of the squadronmate. First the revenge on strafing the enemy airfield and then seeing that there are still rare occasions of humanity.

#4173917 - 09/27/15 10:50 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

...the hits he received he had to turn rather slowly into the right direction and then trying to run away.
This what maybe looked like a turnfight but not to fight but rather to run away.

Ah, okay, now I understand!

Still a mistery why the German turned away home when he had prepared Brasco pretty good for the kill.
Stuff like that is what makes WOFF the very best game of all time. Especially with the death of the squadronmate.
First the revenge on strafing the enemy airfield and then seeing that there are still rare occasions of humanity.

Well, that's one possibility.
He might as well have had a fight before, and his ammo or petrol was short?
Or he got tired, or hungry?
They may have had his favourite dish in the mess this day, and he knew it was lunch time? stirthepot

But seriously - yes, WOFF is quite unpredictable there.
I once followed a flight of DH-2, which were so much higher than me, that I could never reach them.
But then there was this hotspur, maybe a neophyte, who decided to attack me - all on his own;
the others continued flying home. He would perhaps have received a dressing-down from his CO,
but I shot him down.

#4174846 - 09/29/15 12:46 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia

#4174851 - 09/29/15 01:07 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Creaghorn, another super episode in Danny's continuing saga. The dream sequences - eerie. Excellent hit-and-run tactics with that SPAD, and even at that the Bosche gunner still got some hits on Brasco's kite. Also, that coasting up to the hanger? Show off.
winkngrin

Really enjoying the series Sir, keep 'em coming.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4175035 - 09/29/15 06:50 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Jammer28 Offline
Jammer28  Offline

Houston, Texas

From Daniel Brasco part 31 – The most tragic bent bullet in history
“...but I forgot his name. Some Herman Germering or something like that.”

Hilarious! I nearly spit out my coffee!

#4175261 - 09/30/15 07:51 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Thanks for spotting Jammer thumbsup

I think mostly the opponent pilots were relatively unknown to each other. One simply did not knew too much about the other side, besides sooner or later a name of the leader or the very best ones. Maybe they have seen a certain painted AC repeatedly and sooner or later found out who he was, sometimes not. Like "Greentail" in McCuddens book. He didn't have a name, only the aircraft with a green tail whom he has seen and fought several times. And even then probably he has met different greentails of whom he thought it was the same. Through intel they knew for sure sooner or later who the squadron leader or the best cracks of an opponent squadron were and those names stuck, but still not too much information as one nowadays might think. E.G. when the 56th shot down Voss, they were wondering if they have shot down Richthofen or Wolff or Voss until the body was identified. Or when MvR was shot down many didn't realize it was him unless checking his papers in the jacket. And that although downing a red airplane. So I think Göring was for sure not a name to remember immediately if he was mentioned by the way. At least Brasco hasn't :-). Unfortunately now he does remember very well.

#4175265 - 09/30/15 08:08 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Thanks Lou. Yeah, it's quite tricky to fight two twoseaters alone and get out unharmed. I should have flown directly under them and then pulling the nose up. I think I did too early, so I got into their crossfire occasionally. Tough to find the sweetspot to see them, be under them, shooting at them from underneath and avoid running into them. wave

#4175325 - 09/30/15 12:38 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Absolutely right Creaghorn about trying to stay in that sweet spot that allows you to fire at them from below but does not allow them to return fire. I find it about equal with the frontal attack which does offer you an excellent shot with no return fire as you approach but can get very dicey if you do not break off and dive away at precisely the correct moment and angle. There is no real 'safe' way to attack two-seaters, especially as the war progresses, which is as it should be from all contemporary pilots' accounts.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4177062 - 10/03/15 09:27 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
...he lost drag and fell into the spin so the initial advantage was gone.

"lost drag"? A puzzling turn of phrase. What, exactly, do you mean by this?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4177193 - 10/04/15 07:07 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Yes, I mixed up terms and therefore it was wrong explained lol. He fell into a spin by accident.

#4177317 - 10/04/15 07:49 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Absolutely brilliant. You feel the fear, as you flee, knowing you can outrun the DVII, think you are clear, and then hear the guns behind you again. This can't be - I can't get out of this.
Salut !
shredward

We will remember them.
#4177434 - 10/05/15 02:50 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Dude, you add dream sequences. How in the world can we keep up with your cinematic brilliance. Once again, I think you should be doing this professionally. clapping

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4177581 - 10/05/15 01:28 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
@Shredward

Thank you very much. Yes, I indeed jumped in my seat when out of the cloud the Fokker suddenly appeared again.

@Banjoman

Thank you Banjoman. But I think the skills are nowhere near profesional. Unfortunately I'm only using the Windows moviemaker. If I would use those really good editing softwares around, I might do things better. Thanks a lot for your compliments. I'm flattered thumbsup

#4179250 - 10/08/15 11:22 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia

#4179429 - 10/09/15 01:21 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
BTW. I tried MPEG2 format this time. I see no difference, so obviously it depends of what editing software one uses. WMM is of course not the best choice.

#4179544 - 10/09/15 06:00 PM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Creaghorn]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
So...we've lost Danny?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4179741 - 10/10/15 07:52 AM Re: WOFF Video-series "Daniel Brasco - Escadrille 69" [Re: Hauksbee]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted By: Hauksbee
So...we've lost Danny?

Sorry, you missed the point dizzy . No, Danny is save and sound so far. His brother is missing since the last two episodes.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM