Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4111830 - 04/25/15 09:58 PM Dx11?  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

I have been following the excitement at SimHQ over Prepar3D. From what I understand, it can be a great enhancement over the classic Flight Simulator X. So, I suppose. But:

1) Are the contents of the FSX directory transferrable to corresponding folders in Prepar3d?

2) Granted it is expensive and takes a great deal of CPU and computer space. v1.4 is Directx 9c compliant. Yet v2 and soon v2.5 are only Directx 11 functional.

3) My system is compliant to recommended settings of V2+, except for Dx11. It us a Dx9c graphics system.

So is v2+ worth further exploration or should my focus be upon v1.4?

Advice and comments are most welcome.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4112160 - 04/26/15 11:44 PM Re: Dx11? [Re: 5555]  
harryw Offline
harryw  Offline

NV
Hey

Originally Posted By: 5555

1) Are the contents of the FSX directory transferrable to corresponding folders in Prepar3d?

Generally yes. You have to be careful to not forget any special gauges etc, but the C172 for example works as expected. But you will have problems with planes that have FS9 textures - it's the stuff that Steves DX10 fixer took care of with FSX. There is no guarantee.

Quote:

2) Granted it is expensive and takes a great deal of CPU and computer space. v1.4 is Directx 9c compliant. Yet v2 and soon v2.5 are only Directx 11 functional.

You can buy the academic version. The distinction between professional and academic version is, well, academic.
P3D 2.x is actually much easier on the CPU but harder on the GPU.

Quote:

3) My system is compliant to recommended settings of V2+, except for Dx11. It us a Dx9c graphics system.

Then forget it. You need a DX11 capable GPU because without tesselation it's not worth it to switch to P3D 2.x

Quote:

I think if FSX is working well for you right now you don't have much to gain by switching to P3D but a lot of potential headaches coming your way. P3D 2.5 does look better than FSX but not THAT much better. Eventually Lockheed Martin will have to go 64 bits and then of course also switch to DX12. That, I would say, is the time to definitely switch over.

I run P3D 2.5, never tried 1.4. It's worth it for me because I run it on a laptop and with my GPU / CPU power and heat dissipation P3D works better.

#4113022 - 04/28/15 10:07 PM Re: Dx11? [Re: harryw]  
ronster Offline
ronster  Offline

Originally Posted By: harryw
Hey

Originally Posted By: 5555

Generally yes. You have to be careful to not forget any special gauges etc, but the C172 for example works as expected. But you will have problems with planes that have FS9 textures - it's the stuff that Steves DX10 fixer took care of with FSX. There is no guarantee.

Quote:

You can buy the academic version. The distinction between professional and academic version is, well, academic.
P3D 2.x is actually much easier on the CPU but harder on the GPU.

Quote:

Then forget it. You need a DX11 capable GPU because without tesselation it's not worth it to switch to P3D 2.x

Quote:

I think if FSX is working well for you right now you don't have much to gain by switching to P3D but a lot of potential headaches coming your way. P3D 2.5 does look better than FSX but not THAT much better. Eventually Lockheed Martin will have to go 64 bits and then of course also switch to DX12. That, I would say, is the time to definitely switch over.

I run P3D 2.5, never tried 1.4. It's worth it for me because I run it on a laptop and with my GPU / CPU power and heat dissipation P3D works better.

The 64 bit thing is interesting. It's usually a distinctly non-trivial exercise to step up from 32 to 64 bit and could involve some fairly huge rewrites/replacement of code. Not to mention it'll quite possibly break compatibility with third party stuff. An expensive step and not one they'll take lightly, not to mention raising the question of whether they recoup that investment. They'd almost be better starting largely afresh and breaking the licencing shackles that they currently have (IIRC the limited official audience market they have is conditional from them acquiring the FSX code in the first place?).

#4113117 - 04/29/15 03:48 AM Re: Dx11? [Re: 5555]  
harryw Offline
harryw  Offline

NV
Definitely a headache for 3rd party developers, especially if they didn't conform with the Application Interface. That actually is the biggest hurdle, because just like FSX, P3D would be extremely bland without 3rd part support.
But as for the 64 bit port itself: I've done application ports to 64 bits and if the code is well written and all data types abstracted from the word size then the best case scenario is just a recompile. Of course it's never best case and if there's pointer arithmetic involved it can get tedious. It not anywhere near the work of rewriting from scratch though.
And it has to be done. When almost everybody who's flying complex airliners saves their flight every 5 minutes out of fear of the dreaded Out Of Memory crash and there is serious work going on to lower the memory footprint of big airports by running them in a separate process and injecting textures from there into P3D then you know it's about time!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.