Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4110098 - 04/22/15 01:14 PM I'm trying to like BF 4...  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
It was cheap so I thought I would give it a go... visually stunning, and unlike others, I really enjoyed the SP campaign!
The firefights were great and the sound was fantastic... really enjoyable.
I had read some of the reviews and the campaign had got slated, but I wish it was longer and that there was more SP content.

Now, MP on the other hand is a total mess... I really don't understand what the hype is about.
Lots of maps and choices, but the game play is ludicrous...
Every game I have played is just total mayhem with every player either running flat out everywhere, getting killed and getting re-spawned... or they are camping!
There is no control or proper tactics being used. The main reason is simply that people are only interested in points and scoring, nothing else.

What is needed is a game mode that weighs risk against achievement... no re-spawns.
One life, so that idiots do not just run and gun, and the achievement would be reward for successfully taking a meaningful objective.
At present it is worse than Call of Duty, and that's saying something.

As stated, it is a beautiful looking game with great environments. But god, just entering MP is so damn frustrating.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4110171 - 04/22/15 03:19 PM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I think the only way you are going to truly enjoy this sort of game Trooper is by playing as part of a clan.

I started with BF1942,through its various mods,then BF2,3, and finally 4. If you are all on TS and on the same side then tactics will usually destroy a team of random players.It's the only way to play if tactics are your thing.Until now I have yet to figure out how to get 32 random guys (and gals) to play as a team,even when there are definite benefits in doing so.

Last edited by Chucky; 04/22/15 03:20 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4110195 - 04/22/15 04:17 PM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Playing as a team is the way forward but I know what you mean about some of the lame ways people play but I wouldn't say its as bad as Call of Duty, nothing can out n00b Call of D00dy: Modding Glitchware. The good thing is you can earn points without running around like an idiot whose trousers are on fire by dropping med kits, ammo boxes, revives etc but Battlefield 4 will never be as realistic as say the ARMA series although even that has its online n00bs and campers - they kind of drifted across from CoD and BF when DayZ became popular.

#4110435 - 04/23/15 04:49 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Show a little respect for CoD will you? last I checked it was still properly known as Call Girl on Duty Modern Whorefare!

Playing both Battlefleece 3 and 4 , 4 looks better but overall BF3 has better gameplay and still lots of servers going. Getting people to work in team has always been a problem as some people are interested in their stats only, others are just interested in creating mayhem on servers( destroying their own equipment or even obstructing players on their team,etc) and some really try to play for the team. Unfortunately multiplayer in fps is like the internet ; you never know who you are going to meet? Still better gameplay than CoD or even CS. Arma is totally different in pace and intent and not comparable. If you want a comparable experience and better game and teamplay try Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm.

#4110685 - 04/23/15 03:41 PM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
I gave up on the BF series at #3. This for various reasons like the crappy Origin POS, silly "kill points" popping up all over the screen and like you I did not like the "warrior on methamfetamin" game play.

If you have A3 I can highly recommend you to check out TacBF that is heavily inspired by BF2/PR. It's a hefty DL if you don't have AiA map pack already but it's all well worth it if you like tactical gameplay among a majority of teamplayers where teamwork is awarded more than kills! There are respawns but they "cost" your team.

In short, it's one of the best public PvP gameplay I experienced in OFP > A3 with lots of teamwork and co-operation between air-land assets etc.

Here is a trailer made by l337acc...

And here is a another unedited clip...

Check out TacBF homepage at URL below for more help and required mods...

http://www.tacticalbattlefield.net/forum/app.php/page/download

Safest time to see some larger action (50-70 players) is on weekends but there are people on every night at ~1800-0100. The US/Canadians usually joins around ~2200 GMT.

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4110990 - 04/24/15 07:55 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Liking the look of this, thanks for the info....will give it a whirl

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4110991 - 04/24/15 07:58 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Thanks Keycat I'll definitely check that out. I've been playing quite a bit of A3 Wasteland but I seem to come across far more cheats in A3 than I do in other games like BF4. Cheating was always an issue when I used to help run an A2 server and it seems the hacks and exploits never really went away with A3, I wish they would introduce a more robust anti-cheat method.

#4111470 - 04/25/15 12:45 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
@Revvin: There are admins on almost every night and will ban any cheaters for good. So if they decide to cheat they will miss out a lot of fun in the future.

Here is another great video by l337acc that is recommended. Since I get may ass whooped often I need to try remember his advices myself wink

My own tips for starting out in TacBF is...

1. Join there TS3 server at tacbf.ts3dns.com with TFR addon. This is the best and prefered way to communicate with the squad members as well as other squads for the SL and for requesting heli pickups, mortar support, armour support (when available) etc. And it's much easier to help anyone having issues or need help to get going.

Don't worry if you speak broken english (like I do) no one is judging the spoken language and sometimes ppl make their own squads for german, russian, french etc. so if you prefer that language ask to join their squad.

2. Join a group at start and ask what radio channel are going to be used. Sometimes a squad fills up quickly when they have a good SL but if it is full you can still press the request button and more often than not SL let you in. If he doesn't don't take it personal, just try another squad.

3. Lastly, avoid talk crap about or make fun of other nationalities in the lobby, we are all there to have fun and a friendly atmosphere helps that.

Final note: Since the mod is WIP do expect minor issues/bugs. The TacBF team is working activley to fix them as an example TacBF version 3.12.0 was released yesterday.

Hope to see you on sometime!

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4112590 - 04/28/15 12:21 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
The cheats have pretty much driven me away from PvP MP gaming. I did enjoy BF3 on the old 360, but it doesn't run nearly as well on the PS3.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4112744 - 04/28/15 11:57 AM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You cannot play effectively, even as a team with comms, when the rest of the idiots just run around, die, and respawn...
They have no fear of loosing their virtual lives, it's just points, points, points.... waste of time frown

#4112856 - 04/28/15 02:35 PM Re: I'm trying to like BF 4... [Re: Trooper117]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
You cannot play effectively, even as a team with comms, when the rest of the idiots just run around, die, and respawn...
They have no fear of loosing their virtual lives, it's just points, points, points.... waste of time frown

I heartily disagree, I've been playing the game since launch and have seen the havoc wreaked by a disciplined squad. I played in a match only a few night ago on Siege of Shanghai where a squad rolled the map letting the numpties who run around like its Call of Duty soak up the bullets while they got on with capturing, holding and counter attacking. Even something as simple as getting behind the enemy and quickly capturing one of their rear points is enough to knock them off kilter long enough for your squad to sweep cross the map unless you're facing another organised squad on the other team. All the Call of Duty numpties will spawn at that rear capture point because its close to the enemy spawn and the village idiots love to just spawn and kill as quickly as possible, the numpties on the other team will do the same and they just waste bullets on each other while you and your squad move on to the other points.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.