Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4109611 - 04/21/15 02:29 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

When the cooking falls to me I like to do roast chicken, beef or whole fish which are nice "fire and forget" dishes.

I know that roasts seem like a big deal and a lot of cooking but, in fact, they only take about 10-15 minutes up-front work but then they get popped in the stove and you can get the other essentials (homework/reading/shower etc.) done over the next hour. They also don't involve much cutting/peeling/cleaning and don't require much "watching" if any once you get to know the times.

Given that there's just the 2 of you, there will be a lot of leftovers, but that means some healthy and tasty lunches.

Roast chicken

Sprinkle the inside with salt+pepper to taste.
pat outside dry and rub with pat of butter
Sprinkle the outside with herbs (rosemary, thyme etc. to taste) you can also lay a couple of strips of bacon
place BIG chunks of carrot/beets/rutabaga/yams/sweet potato and/or potato on the roasting platter around the chicken (rubbing the unpeeled potato with butter = yum).
cook at 350F for 1 hour and then poke knife under the "leg-pit" to see if the juice runs clear or still pink (pinkish=give it more time).

When it's done you have a delicious roast chicken + carbs and all you need is a salad to round out the meal.

Roast beef

With a slim knife cut deep incisions into the meat, place garlic slivers in the incisions.
Salt + pepper outside. Do the BIG chunky carb thing all around the platter.
In the oven for 20 minutes at 450F to seal the outside.
Then turn down to 325F for 1hour+ (depending on size of roast and personal taste).

Fish

This is a faster one and I've only done it with salmon and arctic char (a type of salmon). It's more of a "special occasion" type of thing because of the cost and also because my eldest son is allergic to fish.

Assuming the fish is already clean.
Place 3 lemon slices on a piece of alu-foil large enough to tent/close fully over the fish. Place fish on 3 lemon slices.
Set 3 lemon slices on top of fish. Place lemon ends (what's leftover from cutting the slices) in the cavity. The aim is to use the ends to prop the cavity open for more even cooking, so the lemon ends have to be big enough for this purpose and placed in the cavity to ensure some airflow. I use two lemons to make sure this is the case.
I usually place a few thin slices of butter between the lemons on the top but don't add any sort of spices of any kind.
The alu foil "tent" is then closed up with a simple fold (it will be hot and difficult to open if you crimp it too much) and the baking pan goes into the pre-heated oven at F350 for about an hour. When opening to check watch out for the burst of steam.

Last edited by Cold_Gambler; 04/21/15 02:34 PM.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4109614 - 04/21/15 02:39 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Just give me a Reuben from either Stage Deli or Katz's and I'm totally content. smile

There is a Kat'z in Florida?

#4109626 - 04/21/15 02:59 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: CG2015]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: CG2015

Just give me a Reuben from either Stage Deli or Katz's and I'm totally content. smile

There is a Kat'z in Florida?
No but I will go there next time I visit NYC. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4109663 - 04/21/15 04:43 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Three leeks, sliced/halved and place the whites in a bowl of cold water
Two cans of potatoes
Can of chicken broth
Half cup of half and half
Package of diced ham

Blend the potatoes with the chicken broth in a food processor and set aside.
Melt two tablespoon of butter in a large boiler pan and add the drained leeks.
Cook until leeks are soft then add the blended potatoes and heat.
Add the half and half to the soup along with the hams.
Heat and enjoy with oyster crackers.

#4109702 - 04/21/15 05:59 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
finlander Online hick
finlander  Online Hick

Oulu town, USA

Kalamojakka (Finnish fish stew)

6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion chopped
2 lbs. fresh fish fillets cut into bite-sized pieces (preferably northern pike)
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 c. whole milk or half and half
2 peppercorns
5 whole allspice
4 Tbsp. butter
Salt to taste

Put potatoes in kettle and place fish fillets over them; add onion, peppercorns, and allspice. Add enough water to reach fish fillets but not cover them. Cover the kettle and cook without stirring until potatoes are tender. Do not pour out the water. Add evaporated milk and whole milk (or half and half) and butter. Bring to a simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Add salt to taste do not boil after salt has been added.

#4109726 - 04/21/15 06:35 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Easy stuff with just ground meat:

tacos, buy the box kit and some shredded lettuce and a tomato or two

sloppy joes...can of manwich, buns. 1 lb of meat makes a bunch of them.

spaghetti...boil spaghetti, pour a jar of sauce in with the meat. Use 90% lean meat and there's not enough grease to have to bother to strain out. Doesn't have to be anything special for quick meal nights. Just get a good sauce.

patty melt....hamburger patties, saute some onions...stick them in a cheese sandwich.

Pasta kits like Hamburger Helper, Zatarins etc. We keep these on hand at all times. Everyone loves beef stroganoff kits. We have to make them 2 boxes at a time/2 lbs of meat though, they don't make a lot.
Even easier, tuna kits. No meat to cook and you can keep cans around forever.

Breakfast foods:

Learn how to make an omelet, if you don't know already. I make one, serve to someone, on to the next instead of making them wait. They suck when cold. Some shredded cheese, some bacon (get the kind that's already cooked, you just reheat in the microwave to save time and mess)...done.

You mentioned pancakes already. My shortcut: instead of making pancake after pancake, the first ones cold by the time you get done......everyone gets ONE plate sized pancake. They cook just fine, they aren't as dry this way and you're done quickly. Serve them as they get done. Just don't make it so big it won't fit your plates. There's a lot to eat, they usually don't even get finished. And mix up the batter in a large measuring cup instead of making a big mess. Easier to judge the water needed and easy to clean up.

Sandwiches
Even basic roast beef or ham sandwiches seem pretty special if you use buns or split rolls, put them together and lay them out, open, on a pan to broil for a few minutes in the oven. Meat, cheese, broil...done in 5 minutes total. Much better than a cold meat sandwich, but all you're adding is heat.

Salad night
If we do this, I have some small chicken breast fillets I throw on the grill. Takes just a few minutes to cook the small ones. Then cut into strips for the salads. Nice to have something hot on there and it's filling that way.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4109744 - 04/21/15 07:12 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Risotto is always a good way to use up some scraps for a quick meal. So long as you have some arborio rice and some stock, anything else can be chucked in - mushrooms, ham, peas, leeks, asparagus, shellfish..

Top with some grated parmesan or gran padano, serve with crunchy bread and salad...

#4109955 - 04/22/15 09:10 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Man..you guys are awesome ! Going to try as many of these as we can and get into it, cheers ! Totally forgot about omeletes, so easy and so goooood..just finished whacking one up then and we are chowing down biggrin

cheers again all for taking the time to put your recipes down thumbsup

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4109958 - 04/22/15 09:20 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

@DaBBQ: no disrespect intended.

I can't stand Leeks and Radishes and Beets and similar vegetables.

I rather eat broccoli!

#4109971 - 04/22/15 09:48 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Here's another one that's finished in 15 minutes:-

Foo Yong Hai

3 large eggs, at room temperature
75 gr bean sprouts
75 gr ground pork
4 medium-sized shrimp, peeled and cut into small pieces
1 scallion, cut into small rings
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
dash of cooking wine (or sherry)
small dash of oyster sauce
soy sauce
Pinch of sugar
white pepper
3 tablespoons oil
(White) rice - as much as needed for two.

Cook rice according to instructions.
Break eggs into bowl and stir. Add all other ingredients (except the oil) and stir again. Make sure oyster sauce is fully dissolved in the mixture.
Heat a wok (or frying pan), add a spoon of oil, wait a few seconds to let the oil heat, turn heat lower, add 1/3 of the egg mixture. Or maybe in your case 1/4. Let the egg set until the top is still just liquid. Flip the egg, fry until both sides are golden brown. Serve with the rice.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4110283 - 04/22/15 07:12 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cooking? What's that? neaner

Lol +1

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4110871 - 04/23/15 11:00 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Got a crock pot?

4 good sized chicken breast fillets.
Thick cut bacon
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken
Rice.

Wrap the chicken up in the bacon, completely covered.
Put chicken and all cans of soup in the crock pot. 8 hrs on low or 4 on high.

Ok to go eat there, but I like to pull the chicken-bacon wraps, put in a dish and broil for about 15 minutes to crisp up the bacon. Prepare the rice.
Serve on rice with the crockpot soup as gravy over all of it.
AWESOME

RK,
We had this one tonight. I did the crispy bacon version. "AWESOME" is right. My two teenage boys loved it -- one was just in after track practice and he ate nearly half the pot. I added some ground black pepper to mine. Next time I'm going to add an onion and may try some chipoltle on there. What do you add to put some kick in there without killing the flavor?

Really good. Thanks for sharing.

#4110876 - 04/23/15 11:07 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Glad you like it!
I forgot to mention adding some flour, it thickens it up a bit. Probably up to 1/4 cup MAX, if that much. You can do it from the start or while the chicken is in the oven. It isn't necessary, but if you found it a little thin, that's why. If adding at the end, do it slowly and stir it in as you go so you don't do too much.
Pepper is right, I just leave that for at the table. No salt needed. Might be good with a can of Rotel if you want to spice it up a bit, and swap the cream of mushroom for a cheddar cheese soup? Would come out more like chicken spaghetti that way, but I like it as-is. I could live off of just the gravy and rice.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4478285 - 06/15/19 09:07 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
MiniCookie Offline
MiniCookie  Offline

These recipes usually help me Easy Shrimp Recipes , when I need something quick and easy, try it!

#4478288 - 06/15/19 09:43 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!

lawncareby20mm

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4478289 - 06/15/19 09:59 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I can barely boil water so “quick and easy meals” for me means microwave stuff like TV dinners.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/15/19 10:00 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4478293 - 06/15/19 10:13 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I bought an air fryer last year. Barely use my microwave now. Frozen fryables are easy. Chicken, chicken fried steak, shrimp, all kinds of fried potatoes (curly fries, waffle fries, potato wedges, tots, hash brown patties, etc. even sweet potato fries), fish stick and fillets. The only think I'd warn against is anything that might burst or leak like mozzerella sticks or egg rolls or something.. Tip: start by cutting however long the box tells you for toaster oven or oven in half. If you go for the full time it'll probably be too dry to eat.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4478299 - 06/15/19 11:28 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Southern biscuits and gravy.

Go ahead and cheat, getting biscuits in a can, as we want this on the table in 16 minutes once the oven pre-heats.

Um, US biscuits, mind you!

So, once one puts the biscuits in the oven, brown about a third a tube of breakfast sausage, around 4 patty's worth, at medium heat.

Add a bit of shortening or lard, maybe a tablespoon or two, and sprinkle on flour until the sausage crumbles are all nicely coated - say, um, two cup's worth.

Add in whole milk, around four cups. If you think you may have too much, put in another half cup. Seriously. You need more milk.

Bring it to a mild boil, stirring, pausing only long enough to put what looks like too much black pepper -say three tablespoons. Put in some salt, but be skimpy here. If you can't really see the pepper in the gravy, add more.

Taste it. Needs more pepper, doesn't it?

Keep stirring it around until that magic moment where it turns from soup to a nice gravy. Lower the heat. Heck, turn it off if you want. Stir it around some more until the timer for the biscuits dings.

Pull the biscuits out of the oven, cut them in half, and put the gravy on top of them.

The gravy will thicken as it cools, and if it's too thick, just heat it gently and add more milk.

[edit]. This is for two people who like each other. It could serve three or four if you don't really like them very much. More sausage means more flour which means more gravy.

Last edited by Dart; 06/15/19 11:32 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4478301 - 06/15/19 11:33 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
You can always make quick hamburgers, nothing special for quick anbd basic.
1lb 80/20 ground beef for 4, 1/4lb burgers. Refrigerated meat is best, rather than room temp.

Make thin but wide patties, larger than your hand. Cook in frying pan. If warm, its hard to get it to stay together without adding anything to the meat.

Coconut oil in the frying pan + 3 1/3 lb burgers, salted, peppered, and cook on low heat with a top over the skillet. Only flip once.

Yum.

Grass fed beef @ 90% lean is excellent, too.

#4478306 - 06/16/19 01:43 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
my version is to agree with what ever my wonderful bride of 42 years suggests, don't get any easier than that...

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.