Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4109455 - 04/21/15 08:45 AM Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I am sort of stuck in a pattern and want to mix it up for my little girl a bit more. I do a mean spag bog, killer hotdogs, awesome home made schnitzel (none of that pre made supermarket gunk), homemade salad and potato bake, just getting into learning how to make a good tasting rissole and she likes good steak, eye fillet only of course rolleyes and the old fall back, sausages, mash and peas. Friday night is takeout so pizza or Maccas (blerch) but i need a couple of quick things that are good and healthy that i can whip up when i couldn't be bothered spending an hour or more doing some of the meals. Sometimes i am super lazy and we do pancakes biggrin or we just fry up some bacon and eggs with fried tomatoes and toast.

Hit me your quick dinner ideas if you have any !

Do nots - Carrots are a no no as is brocoli and brussel sprouts. They are her three 'not eating that' foods.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4109457 - 04/21/15 08:50 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Hamburger helper. Quick and easy one pot method.

Oh wait, you are in OZ.

Do they have hamburger helper down there?

Buy a large slow cooker crock pot. Find recipes online. Throw stuff in it and it will be ready when you get home.

I have been known to cook pot roasts and stews and even bbq ribs and pulled pork and chili in a crock pot.

#4109469 - 04/21/15 09:05 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Tamale Pie!

Not more complicated or longer to prepare than anything you already do and can be done in a million different ways.
We actually do it gluten free (for the wife) and non-spicy hot (for the two little kids).

Simply brilliant.

That and a chicken drumsticks oven thingy mhy wife does with this killer sauce. I guess is something Soy or Teriyaki-
I just can't get enough!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4109470 - 04/21/15 09:11 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Not sure how popular or easy to find hamburger meat/ground beef is in OZ but you can make all kind of stuff with it: meatloaf, tacos, chili, hamburger helper in a couple of dozen different flavors, hamburgers, meat ragu', meatballs, 3 bean soup, etc etc

#4109495 - 04/21/15 11:50 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Household fav that's easy: Pasta Kryptonite

1lb sausage, sliced abt 1/2" ea. Andouille or whatever you like.
1/2 lb chicken thigh fillets....or, even easier, possibly better, get a small rotisserie chicken, hot, and pull it apart while still hot
16oz Fettuccini, or rigatoni...whatever you like
Can of Rotel tomatoes/peppers
Red onion, sliced up
2tbs garlic, diced
Olive oil

Grill the chicken separately while you brown the sausage with the onions and garlic in some olive oil
and boil the pasta.
When finished, cut up the chicken into pieces.
Combine it all with the Rotel and stir up. Drizzle more olive oil over the top. Nice with some parmesan when served.

Makes enough for a family of 4 plus some lunches. Even better the next day.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4109497 - 04/21/15 11:53 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

*Reads RK recipe*

AAAAARGH!

J/k looks positively awesome. neaner

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4109499 - 04/21/15 11:58 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
You can always make quick hamburgers, nothing special for quick anbd basic.
1lb 80/20 ground beef for 4, 1/4lb burgers. Refrigerated meat is best, rather than room temp.

Make thin but wide patties, larger than your hand. Cook in frying pan. If warm, its hard to get it to stay together without adding anything to the meat.

Not the best way to make burgers, but only takes a few minutes and simple. Meat and bread. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4109501 - 04/21/15 12:04 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Got a crock pot?

4 good sized chicken breast fillets.
Thick cut bacon
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken
Rice.

Wrap the chicken up in the bacon, completely covered.
Put chicken and all cans of soup in the crock pot. 8 hrs on low or 4 on high.

Ok to go eat there, but I like to pull the chicken-bacon wraps, put in a dish and broil for about 15 minutes to crisp up the bacon. Prepare the rice.
Serve on rice with the crockpot soup as gravy over all of it.
AWESOME

#4109504 - 04/21/15 12:09 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: komemiute]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: komemiute
*Reads RK recipe*

AAAAARGH!

J/k looks positively awesome. neaner

Its good! The kids even love it.
You can also swap sausage for sliced Portobello's, still cooked like the sausage, for a little healthier version. The kids even like that.

#4109505 - 04/21/15 12:11 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

wink You know it was in good humor- You ARE good at cooking.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4109506 - 04/21/15 12:20 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Cooking? What's that? neaner

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4109515 - 04/21/15 12:35 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: komemiute]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

Even better at eating. Unfortunately. LOL

#4109526 - 04/21/15 12:45 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Pizza. It's what's for dinner when you can't think of anything else that's not frozen solid.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4109537 - 04/21/15 12:51 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Even better at eating. Unfortunately. LOL

You either eat your food warm, or you live long enough to see it becoming the next week side dish.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4109588 - 04/21/15 01:34 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Flygande Jacob.
Looks like a lot of things that don't belong to each other, but it's tasty - if high in the calorie count. Kids love it.

#4109590 - 04/21/15 01:35 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
When I have my boys I'm big on steak tips, teriyaki chicken, soft taco's. I also like to use left over chicken and make Chicken Fajita's. So easy, cut up chicken, shaved cheese and fajita bread cooked on a frying pan. Topped with Sour Cream and taco sauce.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4109591 - 04/21/15 01:37 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ssnake]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Flygande Jacob.
Looks like a lot of things that don't belong to each other, but it's tasty - if high in the calorie count. Kids love it.

That actually sounds pretty good, and the ingredients can be had over here.

We need more food threads biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4109596 - 04/21/15 01:41 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Sandwiches, the underestimated treasure.

If done right, they can be a lot better than what one would expect. For example, I use the battery of barbecue sauces for seasoning rather than the standard mayonnaise. Iceberg lettuce (or some other salad) is a must, I like to mix various types of cheese and sausage or other cold meat. Mustard if you like, boiled eggs, sour gherkin (sliced), tomato, bell pepper slices - so you can smuggle a bit of healthy stuff in that's actually contributing to the experience.

#4109599 - 04/21/15 01:53 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Mac and Cheese (not the fluorescent orange kind out of a box!!)

My Kids love my homemade Macaroni and Cheese. From an really old cookbook that makes the old fashioned "White sauce" with milk/butter/flour poured over layers of cooked macaroni and cheddar (or any kind of) cheese with a topping of more cheese or parmesan.

Sauce:

2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
3 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt, (or to taste)
black pepper to taste.

Make a quick roux with the melted butter and flour. Add the milk slowly with stirring along with spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for ~5 min until well thickened. I usually add more cheese to this mixture.

Pour over the layered cooked pasta and cheese and bake at 375 deg F for ~25 min or until the top layer of cheese is starting to brown.

We also like Empanadas.

Dunno if you you can find Empanada wrappers down under, but they are great as you can fill them with ANYTHING. I usually do refried beans cheese and salsa, but any kind of meat and whatever spices you fancy can be used. Dump on the filling, fold the empanada wrapper over and seal with a fork. Deep fry if you want, but I bake @425 deg F for ~15-20 min.

Stir Fry

Great with any kind of leftovers or fresh meat/tofu/vegetables/seafood. I uses broccoli a lot, but obviously leave it out!!! Can be all vegetarian or add whatever else you want.

Usually use a base of onions/peppers/garlic/celery and whatever other veggies are around. Add shrimp/beef/chicken/sausage/tofu as you like. Make Asian style with soy sauce/hoisin sauce and serve over rice, or make Italian style with Oregano/crushed tomatoes and serve over pasta etc. etc. etc..

Shepherd's Pie

Brown up your choice of meat + onions + peas + whatever else. I like to mix with seasoned breadcrumbs as you would for a meat loaf. Season as you like with tomato sauce (my kids like it with BBQ sauce)

Boil up some potatoes and mash coarsely. Make a bottom crust of mashed potatoes. But the meat on top. Cover with more mashed potatoes. Back in moderate oven ~350 deg F for ~25 min or until crust is a little hard on top.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4109602 - 04/21/15 02:01 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Sandwiches, the underestimated treasure.

Just give me a Reuben from either Stage Deli or Katz's and I'm totally content. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.