Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 458 of 608 1 2 456 457 458 459 460 607 608
#4105293 - 04/12/15 09:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Referring to a post above, my first bicycle was a Raleigh.
Had often wondered if the brand had disappeared, but glad to see it's still around.
Of course, all other kids around me had "Hercules" brand bikes; making me a bit of an oddball. It didn't help that it was also white, as opposed to everyone else's black. But I sure was proud of that bike.
I haven't seen that Hercules brand since I left that land.
At the time I was not aware of bikes with fat tires or brake pedals as known in the states then. We had proper hand brakes.

Get the feeling there's probably some frequent readers of this thread that post as little as I do, but would certainly miss it if it went away. They may just not want to intrude on the fun.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4105417 - 04/13/15 06:52 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: McGonigle]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Originally Posted By: McGonigle

Still, 14 years for a sim which currently has no or slow active development isn't bad at all, and I think that the activity level over at A2A has also sunk.

I must step up and protest here. V2.13 is mostly done;
much that is completed is on offer as a beta, and I am
chewing away at the terrain edits required to accompany
Stickman's updated target building placements for british
aircraft and armament factories. Things go slowly as we
are down to few active members, but they continue. Our
new coder, two27, has completed his work for 2.13, and is
now doing the exploratory work for the advances he wants
to see in 2.14. When I've completed the terrain work, I
have to edit the campaign interactive online help file
to correspond to two27's changes in function with the 2.13
code. As there is only one of me, and as I am way, way
too popular at work in my RL job, things are proceeding
painfully slowly, but they will get done.

And there are many other terrain edits I want to get done
which are going to have to wait for 2.14. I have just done
an upgrade to Bristol for Stickman's (hugely) improved factory
targets there, with a proper remake of Filton airfield thrown
in, as the factories border on it. While there I discovered the
"Bristol Docks", languishing pathetically beside a very shoddily
rendered Avon estuary. They go on my to-do list.

Functionally, the sim is more robust than it has ever been,
with two27's overhaul of the wargame code making the campaign
a more sensible and bug-free creation. We really lack only
a gift of updated graphic coding to make it shine as an equal
to any other current sim, though I fear that may be a forlorn
hope. Though, you never know. We still get the occasional enthusiast
dropping by expressing interest. Unfortunately the last lot,
who seemed to appear round about the time 1C were dispensing
sadly inadequate patches for CloD, all suspiciously disappeared
after the latter finally threw in the towel, and community
modders started assembling Team Fusion.

#4105441 - 04/13/15 10:21 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I owe an apology to you PV1, to Stickman, to two27, for failing to recognize the work you are doing with BoB. Absolutely no offence was intended and I should have gotten my facts straight instead of writing unresearched dribble.

At the same time I'm delighted to have been wrong, and very happy to hear about the progress!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4105553 - 04/13/15 02:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

It is with sober remembrance, continued appreciation and renewed hope that we learn the 'dwindling' activity of the BDG that I mentioned above has not dwindled quite so much. It is, to be fair, difficult for we few (PV1 excepted) or pretty much anyone else to know what is currently going on with that body of talented, dedicated volunteers (PV1 respectfully included in that body).

Currently, I am not able to fly. (OK Dux, before you sophomorically point it out, most people can't fly either. And I accept that.) So I seldom have much reason to visit A2A. Perhaps there is more info available there than here and it is incumbent upon us that we and others check there for updated information more often. Or, more directly and so close to us we might trip over it, we could simply ask our good and faithful friend from the west PV1...

Thank you PV1 for your own continued efforts and for helping me to understand that the BDG continues to beaver away in unheralded obscurity principally for the love of the work, for the love of BoB2 and for all of us.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4105923 - 04/14/15 07:23 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

I have played RoF and Cliffs to exhaustion and have now deleted them indefinitely. However well developed the various aircraft types most certainly are, the 'let's go up and shoot something down', score-racking approach will always eventually become tedious. For me, as far as BoB AI goes, the definitive sim remains SoW and will remain so until its replacement arrives with RAF and Luftwaffe campaign, pilot career, promotion, gongs, sector control, group co-ordination, full mapping, accurate historical terminology and weather, every airfield represented and equipped as campaign situations change and so on. A sim so demanding in its complexity as to make it commercially unviable and therefor extremely unlikely, I regret to say.
whenpigsfly

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4105930 - 04/14/15 07:52 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Here is the aforementioned Raleigh velocipede which I rescued from an indifferent fate by handing over a measly ten coins of the realm. A bit of cleaning and adjustment here and there, two new chromed front wheel retaining nuts and a pair of new handgrips for about a fiver from Ebay (no expense was spared) freed up a seized rear brake and threw away those scruffy extended handle bar horns which seem to be a necessary adornment on most mountain bikes. The bottle holder wasn't the correct diameter for a can of Stella so that had to go, too.

All I need now is a Battle of Britain style klaxon horn and suitable helmet.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4105991 - 04/14/15 12:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Amazing find Dux, and a very nice job of making it look its best again. Thankfully, the geometry is the classical one with a horizontal top tube instead of the more contemporary heavily sloped top tube (my biggest gripe about modern mtb's).

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4106030 - 04/14/15 01:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux,MG:

A fine set of wheels it seems to me as well. But will it fly?

I'd say you have indeed done an admirable job of resurrection. That was of course the easy part. At our advanced ages, the trick will be to actually mount and ride the lovely thing. I found the other day, on taking a spin on my step granddaughter's bike, that my legs are far better attuned to long distance walking than even short distance pedaling.

All my bikes had straight bars. As for the bar on your bike being straight or angled, if you have ever stopped your bike so quickly that you have enjoyed the immeasurable thrill of finding your bottom airborne to alight solidly upon said bar with the attendant brain blinding, disabling result, you might re-thunk the straight bar design. yep

I can briskly walk 10 miles with no real difficulty but two miles on that bike in any gear soon reminded me that biking requires the use of different muscles. Having said that, if you will direct me to the correct land fill or trash dump nearest to me, I will walk over there and pick up a repairable Raleigh bike for myself.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4106102 - 04/14/15 02:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
JRT, Jens,

Thanks for the compliments! I must say that the sense of freedom afforded by cycling is something I had almost forgotten about. Scooting around all over the place at the moment because the weather has picked up beautifully.

Most mountain bike riders I have spotted around here seem to sit too low on their mounts. We always adjusted the seat so that you could just stand on the toes or forward part of both feet when at rest.

As you have noted, having the chain slip when standing and powering forward and then coming down on the crossbar can certainly make your eyes water. eek

Manfred von Richtofen

#4106236 - 04/14/15 07:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
After some quick research into the lower than usual saddle positions on a mountain bike enigma, I think I've got it: Its to do with lowering the center of gravity, essentially being able to move your bum lower, forward and aft on the bike, helping you to maintain balance and perfect control, as you climb or descend extreme hills and slopes.

Going downhill, shifting weight to the rear wheel ensures you do not topple head-over down the slope. Also, with a lower C of G you can negotiate corners faster. the analogy that came to my mind, was remembering the FIM Speedway series which is quite popular in Europe. They go left on dirt tracks around stadiums like Wembely, Göteborg, Vojens, and the riders are also positioned quite low on their bikes.

Think Bruce Penhall, Ivan Mauger, Michael Lee, Gary Havelock, Ole Olsen, Erik Gundersen etc. etc.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4106730 - 04/15/15 05:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I once made a spreadsheet with a a few pertinent formula found online and in in my own bike books regarding bicycles. It was particularly useful when my son and grand kids were getting and riding their first bikes. It was useful for my own bikes as well. I've got that archived somewhere but have no bike.

I know you fellows will remember the movie "633 Squadron". I remember going to see that with my dad. Our Canadian pal C51 sent me the following link. You might enjoy going there as did I.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/S...3-Squadron.aspx

#4106951 - 04/16/15 03:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Missed that movie. Thanks for the link!

#4107049 - 04/16/15 09:51 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
A very interesting read Rog, Thanks to our Canandian pal for forwarding it to you and to you for posting it.

I've got the movie on DVD and have watched it once many years ago so it might be fun to revisit it. Not my fave war movie as I seem to remember that the "love interest" scenes are weak and embarrasing, Cliff Robertson is ill-cast in the role as is the Greek actor playing a Norwegian.

My main interest in the movie of course is the musical score and I noticed with delight that the author of the article spent quite a few lines on the score by Ron Goodwin.

I had the luck to know Ron through an uncle who worked for the Danish Radio Broadcasting Organisation, and after making a radio program on Ron they struck up a friendship.

Ron told me that he was inspired to use "633" as a formula for the number of beats. It's not an exact match, but it was his first inspiration when he started to compose the theme.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4107165 - 04/16/15 02:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

My interest in the film is a nostalgic remembrance of my father of course and the prominently featured Mosquitoes. George Chakiris was indeed an odd choice. I suppose he was a hot commodity after his starring role in "Westside Story". Cliff's most memorable role was and still is as JFK in "PT 109". Naturally JFK was more than a little concerned about how he would be portrayed in that film. Robertson went through a tough vetting process before getting the coveted role.

I once knew a company executive who claimed to be a close friend of Robertson. Apparently that executive had been out on the actor's boat many times. The actor's boat, I was told, was located down in Florida. This executive thought very highly of the man.

What an interesting anecdote regarding the composer.Thank you for sharing that. The rousing theme song probably has a greater appeal than does the film today. I've always been partial to that music myself.

#4107272 - 04/16/15 04:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

There is a YouTube vid with that theme playing to a background showing the breaching of the Mohne Dam. rolleyes

That person should be chastised...
wink

Manfred von Richtofen

#4107388 - 04/16/15 07:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Indeed Dux. That is a breach of etiquette.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4108281 - 04/18/15 03:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux and MG:

I agree that retribution is definitely called for. But only after that clueless bastid director who painted a Hurricane in German markings and cammo for his film is beaten senseless with a wet noodle. Was it "Captains of the Clouds"? I'm not sure as to the film.

Here is another museum link from C51.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/S...he-Legends.aspx

#4108335 - 04/18/15 06:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I want one of those "Lancaster emergency equipment and evacuation routes" biggrin

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4108651 - 04/19/15 05:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Especially JRT who will find this F4U Corsair hard to take. I can see his hackles rising, even now...

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/faacapturedaircrafthomepage.html

Manfred von Richtofen

#4108673 - 04/19/15 06:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

There is not one hackle left not standing. In fact, they are all truly bristling. Thank you for that very disturbing link. At least it was an illustration and not a photo of the F4U. Were there any F4Us in the European Theater?

To be unreasonably fair, the Allies did the same thing for the Zero and other Axis aircraft as soon as they could get their hungry hands on them. The first 262 to fall into Allied hands caused a serious draw on the Allied headquarters quartermaster's supply of "Depends". The jet was disassembled, crated and shipped to the UK faster than the papers reassigning certain responsible Army generals to the front lines as privates could be typed.

Sooner or later pretty much all types of Axis aircraft were captured. Tests were done on these captured planes and flights made, even dogfights played out against similar Allied fighters to discover their relative strengths and weaknesses, comparisons were published and used in training. In order to get pilots without a death wish to fly them they realized they must prevent unfortunate consequences when these aircraft might be encountered by unknowing friendlies so they had to be painted with Allied markings of course.

To repay you for showing that unconscionable travesty of war, I am considering posting that ummm, rather compromising photo of you and a thoroughly plastered Olga that MG accidentally took at the recent HWH Squadron Midnight Easter Egg Hunt and All Night Roller Skating Derby. He meant only to catch PV1 and Fittop skating by in their shaggy Easter Bunny costumes yet in doing so he also caught you and Olga in the background firelight.

I believed you when you innocently claimed that you were only helping Olga get her balance as she learned to skate when she hugged you to her ample bosom and you accidentally fell right on top of her. I believe you mate but a thousand might not.

For one thing I happen to have seen that red, black and blue ribbon on her blouse. I looked it up in the 999,000 page HWH Handbook published in 28 Amazon Piranha leather bound volumes. According to that unimpeachable source the colorful ribbon indicates special service in the Joseph Stalin Female Synchronized Underwater Demolition Team and Elite Roller Skating Mountain Troop. I'd say the girl can already both skate and swim.

We'll let the lads decide for themselves.... perhaps....

Page 458 of 608 1 2 456 457 458 459 460 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.