Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4105707 - 04/13/15 07:36 PM Run 8 questions  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I've been itching to get Run 8 for quite some time now but can't really pull the trigger because I've got Train Simulator 2015 just "gathering dust" on my hard drive. My main issues with it are 1) no TIR support, 2) no controller support, and 3) I don't know what I'm doing.

How does Run 8 fare when compared to TS 2015? Can I use my TIR? Can I use my TM WH throttles to at least control something? Are missions/objectives clearly stated and achievable?

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4105774 - 04/13/15 09:44 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Hi Ice,

Run 8 is pretty much a sandbox sim-- there are no pre-made scenarios/activities/missions and there currently is no AI (apparently coming by years end). The sim provides the basis for simulated actions/train movements two ways; first as a means for groups of players to simulate actual operations together (mainline freight movement, yard action, hump yard action, car tagging, industry servicing etc) or secondly, as a means for a single player to do the same but in an environment that can be likened to a model railway or in whatever fashion you want to play.

There are several groups that run online. RTS (24/7 server) is one where they have a 24hr period of operations simulated that literally mimics a day-in-the-life of the Mojave/Needles/San Bernardino operations of UP and BNSF. DAMS runs several servers including one that simulates an inhouse rail company operation. Others run servers for 'event' style MP. The game shines in MP.

There are limitations to be aware of- especially given you have TS20XX-- Run 8 simulates only American rail with a massive California system (all the California sets can be linked together), the east coast A-Line for Florida operations, and recently the CSX Selkirk line. Run 8 also has a steep initial learning curve, with locomotive operation well simulated, however you are limited to running only a few variations, like the Amtrak P40, GEVO, SD40 to name three. There is no steam, no EU/UK. TIR does function, the game was also developed for Raildriver (I have no idea about using other control devices tho). Graphically it is on par with early Railworks 2 but the inner workings/nuts & bolts is where the sim is well done and robust. There is no SDK available unless you are a legit developer, so no homemade track setups smile

Hope that helps and isn't too biased sounding!

Kind regards,
Dave

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#4106880 - 04/15/15 11:27 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the reply, Dave!

AI -- I've just seen a YT review that said there was AI. The review was by At The Railyard and the sub was ATSF/BNSF Seligman. I'm not sure if it is for Run 8 though. The video does not seem to state which sim is used. While I'm not fussed about AI, I think it'll be interesting to see other trains operating a route, whether that train be AI- or human-controlled.

Sandbox -- I'm having fun with Elite:Dangerous so I have a little idea of what a sandbox is. However, I would like some scenarios or missions simply as "goals" to which I set my sights upon. I don't want to be feeling good doing a route in 2 hours not knowing it is usually done in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I want to feel good knowing I did a 1:45 route in 1:44.

Routes -- I'm not really interested in any route in particular and I'm really more into freight which is what Run 8 seems to have. US/UK doesn't really matter to me at the moment.

Learning curve -- I don't know if I'm just a total n00b but TS20XX just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's the "feel" that people are describing that is in Run 8 that I am missing in TS20XX. I look forward to learning more about driving a train and how it relates to Run 8.

Controller -- Unfortunately, I don't have the Raildriver (can't commit to it given how often I play TS20XX) but I do have a TM Warthog and rudder pedals. Do you know if it'll work with those? Just to be able to use my dual-throttle as acclerator/brake, that would be awesome.

I've decided to pull the trigger and get Run 8. Unfortunately, I can only really get one "route" at the moment so which one is best or recommended to start with? Also, does it come with tutorials/documentation or any support at all for the total train n00b? Most of my "fun" in TS20XX is scenery ogling, trying to crash the train, trying to NOT crash the train, and doing speed runs. I'd like to run trains more as a simulator now rather than a crash-test environment.

- Ice
#4106935 - 04/16/15 02:52 AM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Hi Ice, if you are going to invest in Run 8 you have to start with the BNSF Mojave Sub as it contains the base simulator (the other sets are add-ons including the eastern sets, A-Line and Selkirk). It's a lot of fun and with real physics takes a lot of thought running from Bakersfield to Barstow...learning to brake will be a highlight (use of dynamics especially) and learning to start out while on an incline fully loaded will be a huge challenge. There are some decent how-to videos on you-tube, and I highly recommend a look at Run 8 Depot site where you can download pdf's of the line maps (has inclines/declines marked, signals, mileposts, and most importantly the speed changes). RTS has set up a wiki, and DAMS has a ton of info.

There is no AI in Run 8, quoting a recent post by the lead programmer at another forum
Quote:
AI: It's in the works. But as I've said in the past, it will either work extremely well or not at all. Run8 was designed mainly for real people to run together with other real people.

Let me know how you get on, Ice. I can point you in various directions if you need more info. smile

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4107427 - 04/16/15 08:04 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm assuming you are using a Raildriver? Do you know if anyone is using other controls aside from just the KB/mouse?

I'm getting the Mojave Sub, thanks for that info. I wonder why the other routes cost the same as Mojave though, considering Mojave is the game + route?

What's the best way to get into MP considering I am in the UK? Is one server more newbie-friendly than the other?

What route should I practice on in the Mojave Sub?

Thanks!

- Ice
#4107477 - 04/16/15 09:57 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
I'm a keyboard and mouse driver for train sims. I use an X52Pro set up for flight simming/combat flight/space sims. Kb&M works fine for me although there are times when I *think* a raildriver would be that much more cool lol.

There is an EU group that runs multiplayer http://www.run8europe.eu/

In North America, RTS runs two servers 24/7, one for California subs and another for Florida A-Line
http://railroadtransportationsimulator.wikia.com/wiki/RailroadTransportationSimulator_Wiki

Diverging Approach Multiplayer (DAMS) http://www.run8dams.com/

All are newb friendly and are usually pretty eager to help out newcomers. You'll pick up the lingo fairly quickly, and find that quite a few of the sims users are current/or retired railway employees so they have a shedload of knowledge. In North America operating rules are followed, and they vary slightly from company to company. Players will expect newcomers to be at least sensitive to that (some servers are more relaxed than others, YMMV) and to learn the rules/follow the rules. Pretty serious simmers still having fun though.

I'd practice getting a train moving first, so start at either Bakersfield or Barstow by spawning one of the trains available. Learn to brake and accelerate without snapping couplers. Once you are satisfied you can do that ok, try running the Techachapi Pass. You'll want to learn how to set the dynamic brakes, avoid run-a-ways by keeping your speed down, and remember that locking up your wheels, steel on steel, is kinda like ice skating. If you can climb the pass and descend without losing it then it's for sure time to jump into MP.

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4107803 - 04/17/15 04:13 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Okay, I just got the damn thing installed..... I'm still using the "cheat" panel to auto-start and MU/DP the trains, and just got my first train moving..... then it promptly stopped. I think I broke something somewhere, but I've got no clue how to diagnose it.

Is there a newbie tutorial I can follow? I've followed the "Run8 Basics Overview - Single-Player Operations" pages but it gets confusing after a while. It took me forever just to find the right train that I wanted! I'm looking for a more hand-holding newbie tutorial if there is one.

Also, do you follow the default key mappings or have you made your own?

- Ice
#4107927 - 04/17/15 07:18 PM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Ice, check out the guide in this thread I found it handy when I started.
http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?314177-Run8-Help-for-Piglets

Also check out the RTS wiki here http://railroadtransportationsimulator.wikia.com/wiki/RailroadTransportationSimulator_Wiki

I use the default keys, and there is an excellent list available on the Run 8 Depot as a download- I just have it printed off for referral purposes.

Last edited by Leaf85; 04/17/15 07:22 PM.

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

#4108035 - 04/18/15 12:04 AM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Still fuzzy with what I'm doing but I managed to get a train from Bakersfield UP train yard to the Caliente sidings. I think it's quite a steep incline as I approach Caliente? Everything was going fine but for some reason, my locomotives broke free from the rest of the train just after I entered the siding. Reversed back to re-couple and I think it was N4 or N5 when the train started moving again but I had to be careful.... I broke the coupling again, reversed back again, and gently took the train forward and parked just before the signal.

I had TIR on but it did not seem to work in the game. Also, it seems like there is support for Raildriver, but nothing else. Bummer. Would've been awesome if I could've at least mapped the train/indy brakes to my TM WH throttles.

I have the mojave-route.pdf file and I guess I can make a bit of sense of the routes but the markers/speed limits are quite confusing. For example, heading from Quantico to Caliente via the South Track, what does "~1.1% MP333" mean at Magunden Siding? Or "Morning Dr. MP 315.5"? Why are speed limits (yellow-boxed numbers on the lines) sometimes facing left, sometimes facing right, and others say "79]55"?

- Ice
#4108087 - 04/18/15 03:50 AM Re: Run 8 questions [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
The 1.1% is a gradient indication at Milepost 333. I don't have my maps handy atm. Morning Dr. or Morning Drive at MP315.5 is just an indication that a street named Morning Drive is at Milepost 315.5 so for route learning that might be a known spot to the crews and a mark suggesting a level crossing-- if that crossing is unmarked you must slow to 35 mph or less. Again, no map handy- srry.

The different facing of the speed signs on the map is for East/West (BNSF) or North/South (UP) bound traffic (I have no idea why one company runs this as E/W and another designates the track as N/S). Decreases in speed must occur as the lead loco reaches the speed change sign, speed increases can only occur after the last vehicle passes the speed change sign. The dual numbers are for different types of traffic. Passenger trains run at the higher speed, freight always runs at or less than the lowest number. In this case the Amtrak P40 can operate at 79 mph max, while your GEVO's with two miles of empties tankers behind it can run at 55 mph max. I believe unmarked yard speeds are 15mph max, although most railroaders would tell you 10-12 mph in the yard and 8-12 mph over yard switches. The mainline cross-over switches on the California maps are all highspeed cross-over switches as far as I'm aware, but check the maps anyway as some are rated at slower speeds if I recall correctly.

Currently dabbling in;
IL2BOS/BOM smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.