Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4102384 - 04/06/15 09:15 PM DCS: A-10C Warthog - Broken Wing with Tacview  
Bunyap Offline
Bunyap  Offline

This is an A-10C Warthog single mission called Broken Wing. I fly it more or less all the way through and have Tacview displayed so you can keep an eye on what is going on and see all the little things I missed as well as a few things I got right.

Parts 1 and 2 are up and parts 3 and 4 will follow this week.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4102782 - 04/07/15 06:14 PM Re: DCS: A-10C Warthog - Broken Wing with Tacview [Re: Bunyap]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Great videos, Bunyap. I look forward to the continuation.

I actually did the voice of Overlord for the triggers in this mission, and also helped Bahger with a few details and testing. I'm sure he'll be interested in this video series as well.

Regarding the tasking, timing, and getting airborne, the premise of the mission is that it has to happen now before the bad guys get to the blackhawk. That's why Roadkill gets moving with or without your blessing, and also why you're asked to get airborne and anchor at Steerpoint 2 until receiving the "deploy as fragged" order. "Deploy as fragged" should be triggered when the F-15s engage the MiGs, giving you a window to move north while the MiGs have other things to worry about.

If you get north in time, you should be able to slew to REDBRIDGE, then find your enemy ground units while they are still following the road in column formation. This just makes things a lot easier to manage; once they dismount near the crash site it gets a lot harder.

There's also another A-10C you can spawn if you have another player, and he starts airborne with the tasking of taking out REDBRIDGE before the red ground forces cross it. This is tough to do in time (especially since the MiG-23s are already in your Cheerios), but makes for an interesting scenario.

From a loyal subscriber: keep up the good work! thumbsup

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4103520 - 04/09/15 06:06 AM Re: DCS: A-10C Warthog - Broken Wing with Tacview [Re: Bunyap]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Wow, Bunyap, I am hugely flattered and honored that you chose my mission for this excellent video playthrough. Fries, thanks so much for the heads-up: I have not been active in DCS A-10C for quite a while now and haven't looked at "Broken Wing" for two years but I was always proud of it so it's a thrill to see it holding up and still being played. It's in the top three favorite missions of the many I've made for A-10C.

I will be following this series closely to see how you get on, Bunyap. You are certainly very expert in your handling of the Hog and all its systems; my missions tend to set the bar fairly high in this regard and you clear it with ease. In this mission you need to know how to access the CDU mission steerpoints both on and off the flightplan and you need a fairly high level of SA in order to avoid becoming task-saturated. You might be a little behind the eight-ball in defending the USMC convoy now (we saw the lead vehicle get taken out by an enemy ATGM); my assumption was always that the player would take off, stay low, ingress as fragged and trust the F-15s to give the Floggers plenty to worry about. It's unusual for Red interceptors to get down in the weeds to take on slow-moving A-10s, especially when there is a Blue CAP lighting up their RAW screens. However, I cannot fault you for caution and maybe I should have pushed the need to scramble your Hogs harder in the briefing.

Fries, your voice work was excellent, thanks so much. I cannot imagine doing A-10C mission design without custom voice/comms files, it makes a huge difference to immersion.

I am also very impressed indeed with the quality of your DV recording and editing skills, Bunyap; I would not have a clue how to superimpose TacView on recorded DV from an A-10C mission playthrough. Great use of 6DOF in TrackIR too.

Finally, since I do not even know if I have the original mission files, can anyone advise me re. how to get the mission posted in the ED mission upload pages again? I do not know why some of my missions are still here and others not.

#4103887 - 04/09/15 08:26 PM Re: DCS: A-10C Warthog - Broken Wing with Tacview [Re: Bunyap]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

@Bahger,

It appears that your older missions are for "DCS A-10C" and your newer missions are for "DCS World". Just filter by your name instead of using all of the other filters. You'll see them.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.