Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4103538 - 04/09/15 07:58 AM Flight leader orders.  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Hi all,

It seems that, when i am a flight leader, my mates tends to become stupid and unresponsive to the environment as i have to give them orders even to react to a enemy aircraft attacking us (in fact they attack ME), using the TAC and designing the EAs to them...do you experience the same and do you deal this situation the same way ?

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4103549 - 04/09/15 08:58 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
With me, as the Leader, I have not noticed any issues once I order the attack though since I am attacking too I will admit I have never stood back and just watched but all seems fine. I think it helps mightily to be in a good and obvious position for the attack when you give the order and that seems to help them. I have never been attacked by my own guys. And when you are the Leader I don't think they will react till you give the order - or until they are shot at...I think. Since I always play in campaign mode a slaughter of my own flight discourages experimentation!

When I am not the leader the AI does sometimes seem slow in responding to a threat - sometimes. Other times they will aggressively react too, and attack, distant targets. There seems to be little predictability to it - which is kind of cool and adds to a sense of realism. Once the AI leader did allow an enemy formation to approach quite close to our rear - just once - I guess we will say we were surprised. I couldn't take it (as the rear man) and broke formation and engaged just out of their firing range. Don't remember all the details of the rest of the fight but I am sure they all eventually engaged. But again that was just once.

FWIW.

#4103555 - 04/09/15 09:11 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Jeckel Offline
je mehr desto besser!
Jeckel  Offline
je mehr desto besser!

I'm a new boy for the WOFF Campaign. At the moment doing training in the Aviatik C1. Will be posted to Alsace later (so they say).

Sorry posted in the wrong thread sigh

Last edited by Jeckel; 04/09/15 09:34 AM.
#4103557 - 04/09/15 09:14 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Welcome aboard sir and good luck!
Or since you are flying for the Germans perhaps "Hals und beinbruch" may be more appropriate. Did I spell that right?

#4103565 - 04/09/15 09:38 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Jeckel Offline
je mehr desto besser!
Jeckel  Offline
je mehr desto besser!

Völlig richtig!

#4103566 - 04/09/15 09:43 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
@ jeckel: Willkommen an der Front.

@ DIH: i've forgotten to say that it occured in campaign mode. When ordering to attack, I presume you do that after having designed each of the tatgets with the TAC ...and what if your flight is bounced or directly attacked by foes, do they react on their own ?

Last edited by kaa; 04/09/15 09:44 AM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4103573 - 04/09/15 10:25 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
kaa when I order the attack as Leader I pick ONE of the enemy, designate him as a target, and then order the attack. And it all seems to work out. That is also the advice from OBD.
If you are pressing me for a guess to their exact behavior I THINK what happens (based on fleeting glimpses) is the flight makes for the target I picked out with "Attack" on their minds. When they get close to it, and the other enemy threats, they react to all threats in the area (having been "set loose" with the Attack order) and pick out a target and fight as suits their AI brain. The reason I think this is that initially (sometimes but not always) you will see half your flight trying to get the target you selected, despite the presence of multiple enemies, until their AI brain thinks they are a threat, reacts accordingly, and now you have a general dogfight with all AI's doing what they do.

As to your AI flight mates reacting on their own I have to say if you are NOT the flight leader they will eventually.
If you ARE the flight leader they wait till you give the order OR (and I am half guessing here) until they take damage and then they react. As flight leader I have never truly been surprised by the enemy though on several occasions I have been in a bad position to react to them. Again though I have never allowed my AI flight, as the leader, to be attacked just to see what would happen.
The only time I have ever seen the AI break formation is if they have a engine malfunction.
Hope that all wasnt too confusing and was helpful.

#4103579 - 04/09/15 10:55 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
The only part of the sim I find annoying is the fact that when your flight or an enemy flight goes into return home mode they are then unable to fight. This can cause some obviously unrealistic situations at times.

#4103580 - 04/09/15 10:56 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Jeckel Offline
je mehr desto besser!
Jeckel  Offline
je mehr desto besser!

My printed "Woff default key guide" give ctrl + ~ as "target attacker" but doesn't explain exactly how I do that. Or do you just target any attacker and then use tab to get the one you want?

#4103587 - 04/09/15 11:15 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yes you have to target an enemy plane and then switch through them to get to the one you want specifically.

#4103588 - 04/09/15 11:17 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Wodin, they are not unable to fight then.
I believe I have even seen aircraft in "landing" mode which changed back to "fighting".
At least when going home, and they get attacked, they can switch back to fight.

When you see an aircraft continuing the "Going home" despite being chased, then I guess
this pilot is either out of ammo or has other reasons why he cannot fight anymore.
For enemy flight over German-held terrain, that reason could simply be, that they are
running low on fuel and MUST return.

Welcome, Jeckel!
To assign a target, you must switch the TAC on, and select the mode for "aircraft" or "ground targets" or other.
Then you can mark a target, and by repeating this you switch through the possible targets.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4103638 - 04/09/15 01:07 PM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I haven't tried the "always engage" setting in workshop, but that could be one possibility to solve the need to issue an attack command through the TAC.

There is another "unofficial" way to keep the AI always on their toes and react to EA. It worked for me when I did use it last year. The only downside was the AI's ability to react almost instantaneously to EA, so there was no way of getting ambushed. That was the only negative because they still behaved normally like running away when the odds are stacked against them (i.e. no fights to the death)

It requires a file to be edited.

How to do it ->

Click to reveal..

In the WOFF directory, locate the "simulation.xml" file. Search for the following lines:

offensiveSearchCycle_secs="10"
defensiveSearchCycle_secs="10"

Set both these values to 1 or 2, then close and save and you're done.

#4104482 - 04/10/15 10:56 PM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: kaa]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The FAQ tells you how to command your squad mates. If you press TAB on the TAC to select a target, this is YOUR target. Pressing A will tell your AI squad to chose their own targets in that same group as your selected target.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Downloads/FAQ%20WOFF.pdf

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4104685 - 04/11/15 11:50 AM Re: Flight leader orders. [Re: Polovski]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Ok Pol! thank you all, that was very enlightening !

Tom Cundall.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM