Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4101754 - 04/04/15 11:31 PM Question for everybody  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Howdy All,

So a question about play time was brought up a couple of nights ago, and a few of us kicked it around further after the Saturday session.

Gist of it is this: Currently we've got 3 major events for Arma at SimHQ. Saturday (9pm UK Time (GMT/UTC) - 4pm EST), Sunday (8pm UK Time (GMT/UTC) - 3pm EST), and Monday 1am (Tuesday morning!) - 8pm EST). Monday is the "main event", Sunday is aimed at being more time friendly to our European players, and is generally oriented towards a smaller player count. Saturday is currently the black sheep. It was originally Iron Front, and was also timed to be accessible to Europe. After Iron Front it was intended as a day to test mods for consideration for the main pack used on Monday, but this too sort of faded into the ether. Currently Saturday has nothing distinct about it from Sunday or Monday, except a player count in the low single digits.

So I submit to you, the SimHQ ARMA player, what should we do about Saturdays? What can we do to boost Saturday session player counts? Should we move it to another night? Have we reached ARMA event saturation and should we abandon it?

I've posted a poll with a list of options for you guys to weigh in on. It is in no way definitive or complete. If you think you've got a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

Also, if you're not currently playing with us because our schedule doesn't currently match with yours, feel encouraged to participate/let us know what would better work for you.

The patch coming Wednesday is going to drastically improve the way Arma plays and feels, and it'd be great to have more people to share that experience.

How do you solve a problem like Saturday?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/04/15 11:25 PM

Off to greener pastures
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4101778 - 04/05/15 01:54 AM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

The gap between Monday and playing on Saturday is big. I'd rather see it be Sunday/Monday/Thursday so the sessions are more spread out. Because of how weekends are for most people, it's tough to make two sessions in one weekend. But I could almost always make a weeknight session.

#4101797 - 04/05/15 04:50 AM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
I know that with my schedule justifying playing arma 2 or three days in a row is very difficult. Like bonchie said Thursday would break up the end/early week arma clump. We could also try and pick a theme, like say pvp or spec-ops missions or something. I know that Tao used to have a few tvt missions that should have a comeback.

#4101810 - 04/05/15 06:31 AM Re: Question for everybody [Re: Tyco]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
i'm ok with whatever, saturdays can be pretty hard to make for me, it would be nice to have a more euro friendly insurgency time though winkngrin

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4101833 - 04/05/15 09:54 AM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
Convert Iron Front to the ArmA III version and do Iron Front again.

(and keep it on Saturdays. Thursdays are right out.)

Last edited by mugwump; 04/05/15 09:55 AM.

S = k ln W
#4101903 - 04/05/15 03:01 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: mugwump]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

i know saghen fronted that idea mug, i'm not 100% how well that conversion works these days with the latest changes to arma3 though, will have to try it out and see if they fixed it.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4102874 - 04/07/15 09:24 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Ok so I haven't voted yet because the options don't reflect any choices I would make (sorry Near Blind, you are doing a great job though!) so let me explain where I am on this -

First things first: No matter what time and day you decide I will still and always treat it based on whether I am available, around, doing nothing at the time, and so on. Monday nights are the only gaming time that I tell people I am busy that night The highest compliment I can give to BI and SimHQ is a dedicated time slot in my life, because time is the only real currency any of us have. But I can't dedicate two slots. (I think Tyco said the same thing with much fewer words)

Saturdays are by far the hardest day for me to be around for a session. It started as an Iron Front session and there were several Euros who would play, but it has always been very iffy for me to be free for it. Tuesdays are not ideal after playing the night before, and Fridays only work for Insurgency because the play time is late. So that leaves Wednesday and Thursday nights as possible extra session. (I think Bonchie said the same thing with much fewer words)

The big difference from back in the day is that the server isn't on 24/7 like it used to be. I get why it isn't these days, but we used to have more informal sessions throughout the week. So that is what I think should happen - pick a day that the server will be turned up. If players want to show up and run missions they can, or just run domination for awhile if the only a few. Whats the difference between turning the server up and a dedicated session? Expectation. If you are just starting the server and running it for four hours you aren't counting heads (well you always are but you get my point).

Well thats my idea - Wednesday Firing Range or Thursday Playground, see where it goes from there.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4103117 - 04/08/15 01:03 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
TheProf Offline
TheProf  Offline

Canada
I've always enjoyed the Saturday sessions and have just about always been there. I'll still be there if it
continues, but if it's moved to Thursday evenings I'll be there.

#4103196 - 04/08/15 03:06 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: TankerWade]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Originally Posted By: TankerWade

The big difference from back in the day is that the server isn't on 24/7 like it used to be. I get why it isn't these days, but we used to have more informal sessions throughout the week. So that is what I think should happen - pick a day that the server will be turned up. If players want to show up and run missions they can, or just run domination for awhile if the only a few. Whats the difference between turning the server up and a dedicated session? Expectation. If you are just starting the server and running it for four hours you aren't counting heads (well you always are but you get my point).

Well thats my idea - Wednesday Firing Range or Thursday Playground, see where it goes from there.

I'm quoting Tanker, but this is more of a question towards Meat and Ads, is it possible to convince Doug to keep the server running outside of the established sessions? Have we got that kind of clout?

Off to greener pastures
#4103200 - 04/08/15 03:17 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I played a very little bit, and I loved it.
Friendly, welcoming, open, supportive.

I wish I could play more, but essentially for me it's simply a matter of no free time.
Wife, two kids, and trying to buy a house/settle down it's grinding me through.

It burns to have such a cool sim and not using it.
Hell, I literally bought it only for playing with SimHQ guys!

That said... More European friendly time would be a big help.
So I voted move it to Saturday evening.

But I'd still have to find the time to play at all.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4103218 - 04/08/15 04:11 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Quote:
but this is more of a question towards Meat and Ads, is it possible to convince Doug to keep the server running outside of the established sessions? Have we got that kind of clout?

Ads will have to answer that, he does the actual server stuff, i just manage the in-game bit smile I belive the reason its turned off during the week is that

a)no one uses it
b)saves resources

I dont "think" Doug would have any problem having it running on a day so long as it doesnt conflict with anything else, but Ads will have to answer that one smile

As an aside, i took a look at the latest IFA3 build and its all working pretty well, my vote would be going and using that, as saturdays did use to be the IF day, just seems proper like smile

#4103448 - 04/08/15 11:38 PM Re: Question for everybody [Re: near_blind]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I will inquire as to the server schedule.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.