Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
#4099607 - 03/31/15 01:38 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Let me ask this question. If someone belives that people should have a clean psychological medical record in order to own firearms should they also have a clean psychological medical record if they want to have a career as airline pilot?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4099636 - 03/31/15 02:23 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

No in either case. (Well I happen to be against most firearms but that's PWEC). Mental health should be much more open. When someone gets cancer they really are just pathetic and weak and should carry the stigma of such a physical failing.

That came off as a little weird right? Mental health should be no different than a broken leg. Report, treat, recover.

#4099657 - 03/31/15 02:49 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Is there any evidence of people "recovering" from homicidal psychosis???

Being "ok" while medicated is NOT a recovery IMO, especially as I have personally seen what happens to otherwise "normal" people when they miss a med or it wears off. In my limited experience the underlying psychosis comes back in spades after being medicated and stopping.

This whackos "right to privacy" extinguished 149 other lives and people are defending that???

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4099675 - 03/31/15 03:26 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Let me ask this question. If someone belives that people should have a clean psychological medical record in order to own firearms should they also have a clean psychological medical record if they want to have a career as airline pilot?

one has nothing to do with the other obviously so i can't provide a suitable answer to such a question

If rights to medical privacy allow doctors and patients to not have to disclose their ill state of mind when they are employed in transportation fields involving large numbers of people - then there is something seriously wrong with that and needs to be changed. Doctors treating such patients should be required by law to disclose that information to the patients employer if their patient is employed in public mass transit or private paid transportation systems. In addition, transportation employers should have the right to investigate at least the past 5 years of any employees medical history.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4099687 - 03/31/15 04:01 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Nixer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Nixer

This whackos "right to privacy" extinguished 149 other lives and people are defending that???

I don't think anyone is defending it. Rather, IMO, they are pointing out a potentially slippery slope. At least that's my interpretation of what has been written.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4099689 - 03/31/15 04:05 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Lufthansa has set aside $300 million in currency as they expect to have to use it with regard to this case

#4099696 - 03/31/15 04:15 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Then again, any pilot who fails his periodical flight physicals will be grounded. I don't see a reason why such physicals should not include a psychological exam. Or, if it already does, a more thorough one. wink

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03/31/15 04:15 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4099771 - 03/31/15 06:22 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I'm still working on it.

I'm not saying the solution involves aliens, but...it involves aliens.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4099787 - 03/31/15 06:35 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I saw on the news that a recovered cell phone video from the crash site shows the people inside the plane in the monents before impact. Basically tells the same story as the voice recorder.

I'm amazed a cell phone or memory chip of a cellphone survived the impact

http://q13fox.com/2015/03/31/cell-phone-...manwings-crash/

#4099848 - 03/31/15 08:16 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
XenonS Offline
XenonS  Offline

Alternative theories about what can have exactly happened in the cockpit and why are likely to be 'out' because of the initiated AUTOMATED flight descent by co-pilot Lubitz.
The question remains if such a descent was performed because of some valid reasons (the absence of conversation in this regard is not a fool-proved fact to exclude this.)

It's very difficult in this case not to counfound the own sentiments with analytic facts, but I still have the conviction that without the very important FLIGHT RECORDER, most of the facts explained up to now are just interpretations of sounds and nothing more, even if carried out by all sorts of experts.

By analysing past airplane crashes, it turns out that most of them are a concatenation of very unlikey events, that when all put together finally have led to the crashing. This again makes sound-only analisis a very tricky business which can not be complete at all.

XenonS

#4099867 - 03/31/15 08:57 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Jedi Master]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: Haggart
anyone with a history of serious mental health issues such as suicide should not ever be allowed to fly commercial aircraft

Um...so how many times had he committed suicide before this?

rolleyes

You knew what he meant.

#4099887 - 03/31/15 09:31 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Who really knows what he meant?

The shadow knows.....

#4099957 - 04/01/15 12:48 AM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

#4100037 - 04/01/15 05:09 AM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Today I was in (undisclosed Florida city). The Jet bridge was filled with old people slowly shuffling onboard. FAs told me that the bins were full and asked it I could call ops to start tagging bags. It was easier just to tell the agent directly so I played salmon against the flow on the jetway walked my way to the counter. About halfway there an old woman stopped me with a look of genuine concern to ask about my state of mind. I assured her that I was happy and she couldn't be in safer hands. She wanted to keep talking but I had marching orders and said a few more words of comfort as I continued toward the agent. As I turned away an old man's voice yelled for all to hear, "don't commit suicide!" I turned and two guys in their eighties looked at me nodding and grinning like the three of us were sharing some hilarious inside joke.

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 04/01/15 05:11 AM.
#4100042 - 04/01/15 05:39 AM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot Andreas Lubitz told his Lufthansa flight training school in 2009 that he had a previous episode of severe depression.

let the lawsuits begin

#4100209 - 04/01/15 01:38 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
Today I was in (undisclosed Florida city). The Jet bridge was filled with old people slowly shuffling onboard. FAs told me that the bins were full and asked it I could call ops to start tagging bags. It was easier just to tell the agent directly so I played salmon against the flow on the jetway walked my way to the counter. About halfway there an old woman stopped me with a look of genuine concern to ask about my state of mind. I assured her that I was happy and she couldn't be in safer hands. She wanted to keep talking but I had marching orders and said a few more words of comfort as I continued toward the agent. As I turned away an old man's voice yelled for all to hear, "don't commit suicide!" I turned and two guys in their eighties looked at me nodding and grinning like the three of us were sharing some hilarious inside joke.

There's a lesson there. yep

#4100220 - 04/01/15 01:49 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Well if there is I missed it.

#4100241 - 04/01/15 02:22 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Yep.

#4100263 - 04/01/15 02:55 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Wireman]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Wireman

There's a lesson there. yep

Always change into your Stewardess outfit before leaving the cockpit??

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4100264 - 04/01/15 02:56 PM Re: Germanwings airliner down, French Alps [Re: Chaz]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Its certainly an interesting topic and as a commercial pilot, I am somewhat adverse to throwing in my thoughts.

Aside from the fact (that I am not aware of) that the CVR has not been released. Do we know for sure what happened up front with the First officer?

But to help open up more to this conversation, I think we should think in broader terms.

Depression, certainly its a factor, but generated by what? People certainly seem to have different breaking points. We have broken relationships, marriages, deaths in the family, financial hardships, fatigue, and a host of other external influences that can affect us.

Some may see maybe one of these in their lives, but the majority of us will experience quite a few of these. The unlucky of us may see a few of these items at the same time.

How do we fight against this. The yearly medical may not pick it up (I know for a fact that fatigue and depression can cause physical anomalies but these anomalies normally arise after an extended period of these pressures).

People also have varying levels to which they can withstand the problems listed above.

So how do we ascertain the safe threshold of an individual, and how do we asses a stress level that a particular individual is receiving against his/her perceived allowable threshold?

Now the finger of blame can lie in many places and from my experiences, todays commercial flight industry is very cut throat and that has its own problems.

But can we quantify this threat? We surely need to understand it before we can engage a fix for it.

As it stands, every flight I do (and have done) is a constant assessment of the capabilities and behaviour of the person sitting next to me as well as the cabin crew as well as the passengers + despatcher + groundstaff + etc.

But I am no psychologist and I am certainly not a mind reader.....

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 04/01/15 03:05 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.