Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4097959 - 03/27/15 04:32 PM Recommendations needed  
KevinHoggard Offline
KevinHoggard  Offline

I posted this on SAS Site as well. I have had the sim for about a month now. Got it patched up to 4.12.2 and was getting my a** handed to me every mission, so I reverted back to 4.10.1, but with that comes frustration when your going 260 MPH and bombers are pulling away from you and climbing at the same time, so I decided to go back to 4.12 and only do QMB practice until I can start a campaign.

My needed advice is how to effectively attack bombers? Of course the rear approach is certain death as the AI gunners are very very good. I have tried getting above them off to the side, but as the bomber passes under the wing I lose sight of them, dipping the wing to regain their position of course causes me to turn into them and as I dive, yup..I'm at their 6 and getting shot up by the tail gunner.

I do want to practice tactics but what are some tips how to do this?

Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4097991 - 03/27/15 05:23 PM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
You have to be patient to get in a position to engage bombers.
Never attack from behind.

Fly at them from their left or right directly, or the FRONT quarters. Depending upon the bomber and where their defenses are, you can sometimes attack from above... or below...

Best way to say it is slash attacks from the side. Extend. Turn around. Repeat.

Just don't sit behind them. You're basically "standing" still for them to shoot you.
Short bursts and see if they drop their bombs prematurely. If they do, move on to the next one, no need to continue to engage if their payload threat is mitigated.

You will learn to have a better feel for your position in relation to them. Situational Awareness (SA) is extremely important.

Last edited by Tolwyn; 03/27/15 05:24 PM.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#4099019 - 03/30/15 10:18 AM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
4Shades Offline
4Shades  Offline

Perth, Western Australia

Tolwyn is right. Slashing attacks from the front or side at high speed. Stay FAST, use deflection shooting, don't get too close. If you do it right you should get plenty of hits on bombers but rarely get hit yourself. Any other method and you are toast.

IV/JG7_4Shades

SEOW Developer
#4099037 - 03/30/15 11:27 AM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Which bombers are you trying to down? Is it Bettys? God I hate Bettys.....

I tend to misjudge distance on slashing attacks usually missing the merge or destroying the target with my plane which is not to be recommended. I fly out of range underneath at full chat until the target goes behind canopy and then pull up and give them what for in the guttywuts.
Beware though of rear gunners in D3A or Stukas that seem to be able to fire through the floor of their kites.

#4099174 - 03/30/15 02:48 PM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
KevinHoggard Offline
KevinHoggard  Offline

Thanks guys, practiced a lot this weekend both with the enemy empty and default in QMB. More practice, but it's getting better. I too, like BD-123, tend to misjudge distance using slashing attacks. Learning to not turn and get behind those bombers when I miss a pass, but to extend and set up for another pass.

2 things I have learned: 1 - I probably wouldn't have lasted very long as a pilot. 2 - these guys had balls of steel my hats off to them and a huge Thank You for what you did.

#4099986 - 04/01/15 02:29 AM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Turn off the Vulnerability options and you can attack them with impunity. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4100107 - 04/01/15 10:20 AM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

'2 things I have learned: 1 - I probably wouldn't have lasted very long as a pilot. 2 - these guys had balls of steel my hats off to them and a huge Thank You for what you did

Although I agree with your testicular sentiments, many contemporary personal accounts I have read particularly from pilot's involved in the Battle of Britain tended to disregard rear gunners as ineffectual especially in regard to Stooks and 110's, other than concentrated fire from tight formations.

Much gun camera footage can confirm this, showing most attacks conducted from the target's 6. I have in mind the chilling footage of a 109G6 surgically taking apart a B17 (seen here at 2.30")

So one doesn't have to feel bad at copping a packet from AI rear gunners in this sim as they are not accurately depicted! smile
Did I mention I hated Betty's BTW?

#4100423 - 04/01/15 08:52 PM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
KevinHoggard Offline
KevinHoggard  Offline

Ahh wheels, I don't wanna do that, I wouldn't really learn a thing. I think I'm starting to get this down. Started the USAAF Campaign flying the P-40 - Started at Pearl. Shot down 2 DA3 and 1 B5N, didn't get hit at all. My aim stinks as I used up all my ammo. Then continued the campaign, have shot down 3 Betty's so far and only 1 hit me good but was able to make it back and land.

Learning to use the Gunsight view better as well, that makes it a little easier too.

#4100516 - 04/02/15 02:00 AM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
One thing is the initial position before your slashing attack, try to have the sun on your side of the bomber if possible (it's supposed to work better since 4.12 IIRC), and more important before turning into the bombers you need to be at their 10 or 2 o'clock, starting an attack from 3 or 9 ends in the 6 sector. Starting from above allows also to lure turret gunners by diving into the belly side and pulling late, gunners need more deflection since you're not coming at them directly until it's time to shoot, and the target is much bigger when seen from the sides and above or below.

When you start a dynamic campaign, you can also change the difficulty in conf.ini, it's pretty essential with the new AI or you won't last long. Even with easy AI settings in dgen it's very easy to end on the wrong side of a sharpshooter.

#4101001 - 04/02/15 10:53 PM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: KevinHoggard
Ahh wheels, I don't wanna do that, I wouldn't really learn a thing. I think I'm starting to get this down. Started the USAAF Campaign flying the P-40 - Started at Pearl. Shot down 2 DA3 and 1 B5N, didn't get hit at all. My aim stinks as I used up all my ammo. Then continued the campaign, have shot down 3 Betty's so far and only 1 hit me good but was able to make it back and land.

Learning to use the Gunsight view better as well, that makes it a little easier too.

Better than any of my sorties. I typically end up with a seized engine and a dead stick landing if it was a good mission.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4101162 - 04/03/15 12:46 PM Re: Recommendations needed [Re: KevinHoggard]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Kill those Betties Kevin KIIIIIL THEM!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.