Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4100005 - 04/01/15 02:54 AM Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Elon Musk style. wink

Im a Garmin guy but TomTom recently put out a good traffic suckage index ...

TRAFFIC SUCKAGE INDEX

Having fun there in LA? What, only number 10?

Wow, Toronto is only ranked 47th?! Based on what I saw driving to and from work today ... Im totally disgusted ...

- I got seriously cut off by some BMW driver who thought he was in the Indy 500. He/she continued to weave around rush hour traffic like a maniac

- Some people dont understand that the leftmost lanes are progressively faster passing lanes

- Some people slow down for no reason (cellphone maybe?), worst of all in the left lane

- Some people on the express lanes see the collector lanes totally congested so they feel the need to slow down for no reason

- Rubberneckers really piss me off

Literally all in today's drive. I can go on and on from past experience. banghead

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4100055 - 04/01/15 07:30 AM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
And the insane over reliance in satnavs...
Last week a truck driver followed the GPS instead of his brains and tried to drive his 60t truck over a pontoon bridge rated at max 4t.

But, he who is without sin and so on....
Yesterday I had a tailgaiting #%&*$# behind me and I drove through every single puddle ( we had snow mixed rain all day) to spray him with dirty water.
Eventually he took the hint. biggrin
Not really turning the other cheek I guess:D

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#4100083 - 04/01/15 09:06 AM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Great how the chinese are already up to speed
on how to suffer the miseries of an advanced country.
Number of motor vehicles in China has gone up
from around 15M in 2000 to 260M, second only
to the US, and they can proudly boast of now
having 13 of the top 35 slots in that list.
(And there are now more drivers in China than
people in North America.)

#4100110 - 04/01/15 10:35 AM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm shocked that Miami wasn't on that list. As for LA, you couldn't pay me to live there.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4100146 - 04/01/15 12:15 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I have first hand experience in London so I can't conceive of the places listed as worse than that ! It must be absolute madness.

The issue IMO with Vancouver is getting in and out ...horrible bottlenecks.....but either side is not too bad.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4100161 - 04/01/15 12:40 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I can't help but wonder how much smoother traffic would flow if people would just put their damn phones down until they get to their destination. Sorry for the old man rant.

#4100169 - 04/01/15 12:46 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: LB4LB]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: LB4LB
I can't help but wonder how much smoother traffic would flow if people would just put their damn phones down until they get to their destination. Sorry for the old man rant.
It's not a rant at all. It's the absolute truth. I see drivers on a daily basis either not going when the light turns green or driving 15 mph under the speed limit because they're texting or surfing the web on their phone.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4100178 - 04/01/15 12:56 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Someone needs to invent a heads up display that projects peoples phones onto their wind shield. Maybe a keyboard on the steering wheel so that they can use their thumbs to text and tweet their little brains out while driving. At least that way they would be looking out over the dash board at the road ahead. It may have to come to something like that, because I think people just can't put their phones down.

#4100180 - 04/01/15 12:56 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
We are fortunate to have lived in an age where you can still have your own car. Those years are numbered, it will become unsustainable as human populations increase

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4100183 - 04/01/15 12:59 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Haggart
We are fortunate to have lived in an age where you can still have your own car. Those years are numbered, it will become unsustainable as human populations increase

rolleyes

#4100194 - 04/01/15 01:06 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
and industries are already working on tossing human drivers out of the seat

"Self-driving cars still feel like a sci-fi technology, decades away from reality but you'd be surprised. A lot of the things we need to put them on the road already exist, and the rest is just around the corner"

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7211789/the-big-future-cars

#4100200 - 04/01/15 01:15 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
They are taking a lot of the drivers responsibility out of it already. You don't need to check your mirror to see if it is okay to change lanes, a sensor will tell you if it is okay. Starting to swerve into the next lane, a sensor will alert you. About to slam into another car or a building, don't worry a sensor will alert you on that too.

#4100202 - 04/01/15 01:23 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
could be a good thing .... i remember the state message board on the highway last year on my way to work:

"As of (date) 3001 drivers have been killed on Texas roads"

#4100203 - 04/01/15 01:24 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Just think of the major changes to auto insurance and liability. If these cars are completely automated and don't use any input at all from the driver what happens if there is an accident due to a system malfunction/miscalculation? The manufacturer of the car would be held liable no?

#4100205 - 04/01/15 01:27 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
true enough Panzer

#4100225 - 04/01/15 01:51 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Just think of the major changes to auto insurance and liability. If these cars are completely automated and don't use any input at all from the driver what happens if there is an accident due to a system malfunction/miscalculation? The manufacturer of the car would be held liable no?

Could already be happening.

But my sensor said there was nothing there so I went into the other lane.

My car didn't automatically brake, so I ran into the back of the other vehicle.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4100338 - 04/01/15 06:17 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Haggart]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
could be a good thing .... i remember the state message board on the highway last year on my way to work:

Which would be only a small percentage of that if people would pay attention when driving. We don't need more gadgets, we need people to pay attention. I've been driving for 30 years and have never been at fault in an accident or hit another vehicle. I'm not special or perfect, anything I can do everyone else can do. I just realize that I'm operating a piece of machinery that can end one or more person's life in the blink of an eye, and make sure I'm always in complete control of it.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4100346 - 04/01/15 06:34 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Istanbul traffic is insane. Been there two years ago and the average Istanbulian would rather sit in a car in a traffic jam for an hour than ride a bike for 10 minutes. Or walk for half an hour.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4100351 - 04/01/15 06:39 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: NH2112]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: NH2112

Which would be only a small percentage of that if people would pay attention when driving. We don't need more gadgets, we need people to pay attention. I've been driving for 30 years and have never been at fault in an accident or hit another vehicle. I'm not special or perfect, anything I can do everyone else can do. I just realize that I'm operating a piece of machinery that can end one or more person's life in the blink of an eye, and make sure I'm always in complete control of it.

Indeed. A technology fix for stupidity isn't a fix, it's a crutch and another failure point. If people in WI didn't drive while they were drunken morons we'd reduce road deaths a million times over what an automated system would save.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4100382 - 04/01/15 07:33 PM Re: Traffic Cant wait for human drivers to be outlawed [Re: Linebacker]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
People obviously don't WANT to pay attention, they want to do other stuff. If cars drove themselves, they could do whatever they wanted on their commute to work.
I think many people would rather take 15 mins longer to get to work in exchange for not having to fight the traffic themselves. They could read or phone or whatever for all that time and get to work or home relaxed and not stressed out.

As for people dying from failures, I'll bet the number would be far lower than we have now from people being in control. Quite simply driving tests are too lax, and people are allowed to get licenses that have no business driving anything, anywhere, ever.

If cars could drive themselves, they could tighten the restrictions and only the good drivers would be allowed manual driving.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.