Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4099039 - 03/30/15 11:43 AM Morality in 100 years?  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
http://aeon.co/magazine/philosophy/what-will-morality-look-like-100-years-hence/

Note: the first six paragraphs of "predictions" are merely an introduction, which will be discussed within the article.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03/30/15 11:53 AM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4099045 - 03/30/15 12:00 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I think history has shown repeatedly that much of what is considered to be "morality" is relative and changes with the times and it also depends on what culture/civilization you are looking at.

Anyway, I think most of us here on SimHQ are very mature and can have a discussion about this but I can also see this thread going PWEC real quick. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4099048 - 03/30/15 12:08 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Agreed with PM. This can "go south" really fast.

I'm not going to comment on anything in the article, other than to say that such predictions IMO are often silly and based on current norms. "Morality" of the Roman court of Nero vs Constatine. The English court of Charles vs. Cromwell etc.

It will get moved to PWEC if it gets "weird"

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4099095 - 03/30/15 01:04 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I think they need to change the "100 years" in the article to 1000

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4099116 - 03/30/15 01:31 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
What I disagree with is the notion that human beings are children that must have morality imposed on them by some greater authority, by threat of force, because they are too immature to realize the benefits themselves.
It has always been dictated by the culture and enforced by the authorities in that culture, authorities made up of those same human beings. As the culture changes, the morality changes. For literally all of recorded history it has been that way and it's worked well enough that there are now 7 billion people on this planet and still increasing.
Personal opinions on the efficacy of these morals or those morals are irrelevant because the mechanism has been shown to work. There are more people now, living longer, healthier lives, with more advanced capabilities, than ever before in history. In localized areas things will change, civilizations will rise and fall, but the greater framework continues to function for the benefit of the species as a whole.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4099125 - 03/30/15 01:37 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Given a free hand, a people will tend to create something they like. What that may be, as Panzer mentions, will vary widely with cultures.

One can imagine a point at which such could diminish, however. It was once unthinkable that so many millions of children could be schooled under such a unified education system in one country. Some of the world eventually moving from a nationalized education standard to a globalized one, not unthinkable.

As ever, though... "Predictions" are a great way to be wrong! biggrin

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4099138 - 03/30/15 01:45 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I remember when Paul Erlich wrote "The Population Bomb" back in 1968. Erlich was an entomologist. He should have stuck to observing butterflies because his observations on people couldn't have been more wrong. When none of his predictions came true, like most alarmists of any stripe, he doubled down.

I don't see globalization becoming the norm, if anything, I see the opposite happening. We seem to think we're in some sort of inexorable progression to utopia (someone's read The Hunger Games and other works of teen fiction once too often) and I believe that exactly the opposite will happen. I think that balkanization is the new future.

The article pretty much strides past everything that makes humans...well, human. It completely ignores the sociology of people and how we think, behave, and our intent. I'm trying to imagine a society like the one described in the article lasting very long with such a complete lack of innovation. One illness would wipe it out because of its complete lack of ability to adapt.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4099208 - 03/30/15 04:05 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Let me restate that it's worthwhile to read the whole article. yep

I get the impression that one or two who have already commented did not read the whole article, but only the first "chapter". wave2

The interesting part starts after the captital "W". RTFM

The opening paragraph IMO is merely a teaser.

wink

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4099216 - 03/30/15 04:18 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I'll wait till this takes the trip to the other forum. smile

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4099226 - 03/30/15 04:44 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I read the whole article. I agree with the basic premise. Morality will change. It might even revert to an even more draconian morality than anyone suspects. I think it's all going to depend on where you live.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4099234 - 03/30/15 04:57 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Timothy]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Timothy
I'll wait till this takes the trip to the other forum. smile

Why not copy the link to the other forum and start a parallel discussion for those who would want to delve into the political side of it?

Could also serve as a "lightning rod" to keep this thread Community Hall friendly. yep

#4099242 - 03/30/15 05:15 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Quote:

That content is based on a simple and ancient idea: that morality means giving common concerns or the wellbeing of others as much weight as ones own self-interest. Moral behaviour in this sense can be found in any society, because it is the glue that sticks individuals together and so makes society possible. Indeed, the basis of this morality altruism is innate to humans, as many recent studies have shown. Without ever having been told to do so, even toddlers are willing to help and to share with others.

There is a lot to debate in this paragraph.

If someone wants to invoke The Golden Rule, which is found in some form or another in every society, it doesn't mean in and of itself that's what morality is based on, rather, that is a moral itself. In other words, it's a specific moral rather than what morality as a whole is.

Morals appear to be practical rules of thumb that are developed in response to situations we've met before, i.e., "The moral of the story is people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

This is different than ethics, which analyzes and debates morals: "Sure it might be a moral act to do those things, but are those morals in and of themselves good or wise or ethical- is there a time for example when it is good to disobey a moral, or why is this moral a good one in a different context?"

People have pointed out that morality is inherent when they point to toddlers, but it's a self referential thing to point out that a toddler does something moral by giving something to someone else. I don't know if this is morality, since animals can do the same thing and are not necessarily referred to as moral agents.

Having empathy isn't necessarily what I would call morality, in other words, since morality often tells us to do things that might be contrary to what we empathize with and vice versa.

#4099244 - 03/30/15 05:20 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
very well put Mechanus.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4099270 - 03/30/15 06:10 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I agree that it's ethics, not morality, that they're discussing. They are often mutually exclusive.

A moral man thinks stealing is wrong. An ethical man doesn't steal.

I also think they're ruling out a different trend possibility:

Quote:
(O)ur descendants will be appalled that we let 19,000 children every day die from preventable, poverty-related causes.

Or, possibly, they'll be amazed that we had only 19K kids die every day for those reasons.

The thing about "Golden Ages" is that people living in them rarely are aware of them.

Certainly the article is focused only on the West. The morality and ethics they describe are perfectly alien to much of the globe; the people in Darfur would hardly scoff at a sausage, and homosexuals aren't embraced in any way in western Iraq and eastern Syria (unless one counts grabbing them in order to throw them off of high buildings onto pavement).

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4099280 - 03/30/15 06:27 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

An argument could be made in ethics that the most obvious examples that what shouldn't be done can and ought be done in another circumstance or situation i.e., situational ethics.

So blanket moral prohibitions against lying or stealing might be unethical. Would it be for example unethical not to steal from or lie to the Nazis if it could be done?

Ethics is an ongoing discussion, morals really are just more like 'laws' without necessarily being laws. Some people equate them with duties. A duty you owe to others not to steal from them.

There have been some people (like Plato) who aren't satisfied with that, and have presumed there is something deeper in all of this, that there is something Good and formal and eternal interwoven in reality. But by definition, they tend to not be very sophisticated explanations when dealing with sophisticated situations, particularly in situations where no matter what you do, you will transgress some rule, when you have to weigh which is the better between two or more bad options.

#4099288 - 03/30/15 06:37 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
You can't invoke Godwin's law, everyone knows killing Nazis is fun biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4099293 - 03/30/15 06:43 PM Re: Morality in 100 years? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

What's really astounding is that if you want to see a blueprint for the first borderline totalitarian state, look in Plato's Republic, in fact people have taken note of it and it shows when those things have been produced.

The reason where it comes from is that Plato tried to come up with a definition of justice. After a time debating it, the definition appears to be futile, since it either always presupposes itself in circular reasoning or it's impossible to come up with a practical definition that fits in every occasion. So he comes up with this: justice is staying where you belong in your station, that is, everyone is born into a specific class or station, that's where you belong, you cannot leave your post. Born a farmer, die a farmer, that's justice. From there he sets up a very stratified, although supposedly enlightened state without any kind of mobility, like an ant colony.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.