Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 456 of 608 1 2 454 455 456 457 458 607 608
#4097992 - 03/27/15 05:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop makes some very good points and, as an American who admits he watches TV, I certainly agree with his point of view. I would also add that American Public Radio is well worth listening to and supporting. I get an hour of BBC news every morning and generally speaking, the news coverage on Public radio (like PBS) lacks all the faults of American news broadcasts listed above that result mostly from the desperate need for high ratings and targeted demographics resulting from coverage of trivial but trendy events and famously controversial people highlighted with brazen sensationalism.

When we bought our first TV we had one channel to choose from. Soon that became 3 and our parents had to run out and buy new antennas or at least antenna rotators. With cable TV the rule of the land thanks to congress these days audiences are greatly fragmented by so many options including Internet and print.

Newspapers here are being marginalized. Circulation is dwindling. Advertising is moving away faster than friends of a newly convicted sex offender. As I told my publisher on the happy occasion of my last day in the newspaper business and so many years ago that it actually seems prophetic today: "IMO in order to survive, smaller, local newspapers must steer away form world and national news that people mostly get from TV anyway and concentrate instead on the local news." Of course this means they can't just print stuff straight off the AP direct to page one anymore and reporters must actually get out and find the news.

I see this trend happening now with smaller papers all around here. Regional TV news and network news have a hard time covering all the interesting local news unless the story is of very broad appeal. Yet we the people want to know: What was that siren I heard on my street last night? Why are electric bills higher in our town now that capital punishment by electric chair has been reinstated in the state? What is the date of our 50th annual Dog Vs Cat Soap Box Derby, Downhill Tricycle Races and Blindfolded Jigsaw Puzzle completing Competition?

Even gossipy stuff like, His wife is out of town attending a Loyal Order of Ornery Bitc**s Convention in San Francisco, so who was that lovely lady I saw the mayor out on the town with late last night? Things of that nature interest us and where else can we get it but in the local paper?

Not even Public Radio reports all that kinda stuff every single day. It may not be glamorous reporting but people hungry for local news will subscribe to read it and advertisers will pay to reach that hungry multitude.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 03/27/15 05:35 PM. Reason: Silly SHQ Cernsor

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4098122 - 03/27/15 09:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Our first TV had 425 lines which made your eyes go funny. This changed to 625 in due course and was a big improvement. It seems quaint now but there was the ever present X or H aerial secured to the chimney.

I read news coverage from many sources. It doesn't guarantee truth (what newspaper does?) but at least you get a sound idea of the mind-set of a particular country. The Times of India, Washington Post, The Guardian, La Monde, China Daily, de Welt, Pravda etc., and my preferred TV news service; Al Jazeera English.

Contradictions abound, which is a source of entertainment in itself.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4098388 - 03/28/15 03:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Ringing across the bloody battlefield of Bosworth Field, we hear a plaintiff cry "A Caballus...My kingdom for a Caballus". So shouted Richard III, Shakespeare tells us. OK, maybe he really cried "For Petes sake fellows, gimme a darn horse"? Who really knows? Turns out that perhaps we should suspect that the Bard's history was a tad shaky. For one thing an examination of the bones of this reviled man and possibly tyrannical King seem to show his back may have been a wee bit bent but certainly he was not a crippled humpback.

Found under a car park Richard has finally been 'parked' once more and perhaps for all time. The coffining and internment of the mortal remains of "Good" King Richard recently took place and perhaps some notions about this reviled monarch can be put to rest as well?

It seems that genetic analysis appears to show the king had blue eyes and blonde hair. This is at odds with his accepted portrait. DNA analysis shows there may have been infidelity in the king's family tree. This is important because, depending on precisely where this occurred, it could cast doubt upon the Tudor claim to the English throne. On the maternal side DNA passed down matches that of living relatives. But genetic info passed down on the male side does not. Richard III and his royal rival Henry Tudor were both descendents of Edward III.

The bones do not tell us if he really had his nephews murdered to protect his throne. If he did it would seem that his own violent death was his just desert. Analysis of the bones show that the blows that killed him were so heavy that it drove his crown into his head. Incidentally perhaps examination of the man';s teeth show he ground his teeth with the stress of kingship. He also suffered greatly from tooth decay.

Reports from the time of the battle indicate that the king was indeed hit so hard by a Welsh swordsman that his crown and helmet were driven into his skull. The remains have provided insights as to what life was really like for the last Plantagenet king.

On the good side, yes there seems to be one, during his brief reign Richard did introduce the bail system which we follow today, he standardized weights and measures, abolished buying high offices and established English as the language of law. Perhaps so the common man would understand precisely why his ears and nose were being lopped off or his pregnant wife had to be drawn and quartered. I seem to believe that he also made books somewhat more available to the people. Of course most common people probably could not read or write so this may be a moot point.

Ain't ancient history interesting...

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4098433 - 03/28/15 06:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT,

'A spade! A spade! My Fender Jazz Bass for a spade! If only I could have had an inkling as to what lay under that car park....I would have been standing there now with a leather satchel and wearing an official looking bassinet, bedecked with white roses, natty medieval tights and stylish, turned up poulaines.

There is of course some criticism of this 'undignified circus' but most of it is coming out of York where they are really miffed that they can't have the same, very profitable 'circus' in that historic cathedral.
Apparently, there was a four hour queue yesterday where, no doubt, refreshments were made readily available, a la Royale.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4098449 - 03/28/15 06:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

I'm not judging you here mate, to each his own, but I have it on unimpeachable authority (IE LeRoy) that the rather conspicuous ensemble described in detail is pretty much your regular form of attire when off duty..... yep

And, no doubt, those very royal relations of the resting Richard were gathered there in the striped refreshment tent rubbing rising and falling elbows with a multitude of wealthy notables and interested, influential Yorkers.

Her Majesty excluded of course, nothing draws a multitude of the filthy rich like the sweet smell of even more money. What ever will they do for excitement when they have it all?

#4098632 - 03/29/15 08:47 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT,

When they have it all, for their kicks they will turn to feckless relationships, drugs and desperate, attention seeking social behaviour as exemplified by success in popular music and the film industry.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4098718 - 03/29/15 02:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Alright then, with those rather familiar possibilities firmly in mind, it would seem to me that it has already happened when I wasn't looking....

Although the ornamental Bartlet pears and yellow Forsythias are already in gorgeous full bloom here not to mention the Daffodils that popped up in late February, winter has returned with below freezing temps for the past two nights.

It is 10:33 AM our time and the sun streaming in my east facing window has already chased away the chill of last night. A full day of sunshine today will gently warm us beginning a week-long trend into the 60's F. Monday and well up into the 70's F. by next Friday. Easter Sunday is expected to be sunny and seasonably warm with a max temp in the high 60's. How does this compare with early springtime in sunny, sunny Derbyshire?

Before you know it the grass will be high enough to hide the pitiful wreck of your Fokker.... Alright, that was unfair, forgive me. The green, green grass in that sunny Derbyshire meadow will be high enough to softly cushion the perfect 3 point landing of your lovely Fokker. Have you no desire to build a complementary Camel adversary? You've seen mine and it was a joy to build though I never flew it.

I have none of my lovingly hand crafted planes or ships now, not even the lovely Cutty Sark clipper ship, sadly, it was deemed there is no room for them here. frown

C51 reports he has made additional progress on his train layout. I sent him the photos of your good works and believe he was planning to get in touch with you at some point in order to compare notes.

#4098732 - 03/29/15 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

Time is at a premium when constructing a model railway. I've spent a frustrating two and a half hours this afternoon extending part of a friend's layout. Half of it got done but the radius finished up wrong so the other bit will have to be re-laid.

That Wales camping trip looks like being cancelled. Day by day my enthusiasm is deteriorating with the weather. Also, the Fokker rudder has become partially detached. That's another job to do. My bass failed to sell on Ebay. Things can only get better....right? darkcloud

Manfred von Richtofen

#4098741 - 03/29/15 03:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Clearly prospective e-bay buyers were unaware of the celebrity that had played the Fender. Was it a Jazz or Precision. I believe it is a Jazz. Truly a great bass. It became a funk machine in the 70's. It has that snap and growl that is so popular. Countless notable bassists have used the Jazz. Did you think to autograph it? If not, and you wish to remain anonymous, you might look up the signatures of John Paul Jones or perhaps Jaco Pastorius.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes. On the other hand it is good to have a project like the Fokker rudder and even relaying the track if you ascribe to the old adage "Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until next week".

Always remember, as I always have through my tribulations, that when you are flat on your back, things are truly looking up... band

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 03/29/15 04:04 PM. Reason: preposterous preposition

#4098853 - 03/29/15 08:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT,

LOL winkngrin Those words of wisdom have given me some cheer.

I recently bought a 165 style guitar and was looking around for sound comparisons when I came up with this rather beautiful Danish folk song which may bring a tear to the eye of Jens. Hope you like it. It is reminiscent of an American Civil War film I saw some time ago. Many European immigrants must have taken their folk songs to the New World.

I Skovens Dybe Stille Ro

Manfred von Richtofen

#4098895 - 03/29/15 10:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
Dux:

A haunting tune to be sure. The expressive notes of the harmonica renders such tunes so well. that's a lovely guitar supporting the harmonica man.

It does sound a bit like some of the music from Ken Burn's "Civil War". Many immigrants participated in that very uncivil war. As campfires burned low and thoughts of home and the battle to come cluttered the minds of young men; I imagine that on both sides of the lines you could hear such plaintiff tunes being played all around army encampments just at twilight. Thanks for the link.

Do you remember my telling you about that perfectly preserved Les Paul my son discovered when an acquaintance pulled it from under his bed and asked if it was worth even a hundred bucks? I am proud to say that once he regained his composure my son declined the bargain and appraised the fellow as to the high value of his treasure and sent him to a reputable place to have it appraised.

I asked my son about that just yesterday. He says he's not heard a word about the guitar neither has he seen the fellow since.

Funny isn't it how we can so easily understand and even be deeply moved by a foreign music but not understand a lick of the language.... wink

OK, shades of "Close Encounters" music is and always has been the universal language. Even my cat seems to understand it.

#4099062 - 03/30/15 12:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
That vid did bring a tear to my eye but probably for all the wrong reasons. That harmonica playing the tune does lend a "Civil" War ambiance to it. It is an old folk song of unknown origin, words by Fritz Andersen ca. 1864 which is a crucial year in danish history and self perception (the year we beat the German-Austrian Navy to retreat from our seas but lost the darn war and nearly the entire country so emphatically).

I've found a version which I think is nicer, with lyrics in several languages including English, so you can follow the words a bit better.

The song has been used as a children's song, and as a funeral song. Quite rightly Rog & Dux, you did spot a melancholy vibe, even in the harmonica version. This version though, might give you a lump in your throats.

Last edited by McGonigle; 03/30/15 12:30 PM. Reason: added )

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4099192 - 03/30/15 03:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

I was still eating breakfast at 3:20 your time when the notification hit my phone. It is 11:30 our time now and I'm already thinking of lunch.

Very nice music indeed. Didn't understand a word of the lyrics but somehow I think I got the feelings that were expressed. Music carries emotion to our brains like our blood carries oxygen. I think that particular tune is so universal in its appeal. Some of it seems almost Gaelic other parts somewhat like one of our own folk tunes. Not at all like the fringe of modern music that brings to the more cultured mind an emotion more like fight or flight. Thanks MG.

Did you notice the frog and the rose graphic Dux? I seem to recall that it was at the old Frog & Rose pub that Olga, in a blind fit of jealous rage unceremoniously tossed you right out an upstairs window.

Luckily for you there was a full load of horse manure in that a rickety old farmer's wagon parked directly below. The wagon was old and rickety, not necessarily the farmer. As I remember it now, you landed, more or less upright, a wide satisfied grin on your face, and without spilling a drop of the full pint of Gutter, Spitt and Bilgewater's choice English bitters clenched in your fist at the time.

Oh, yes, and Ophelia's bright, crimson lipstick prints, though slightly smeared, were still as easy to make out as when Olga first noticed them

OK, I suppose 'luckily' is a rather subjective term here however it saved your drink and it probably saved your life mate. BTW, I never saw you at the Frog and Rose again; did you ever pay for that broken window?

#4099560 - 03/31/15 11:22 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Nice version, too. I thought that the father and son video was especially poignant - working together on a mutual composition. They have both mastered their instruments to a high degree.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4099563 - 03/31/15 11:37 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

The HO165 guitar which indirectly led me to that vid is excessively rare. I had never heard of them before I sold the Jazz. Only twelve were made and judging from the very small amount of info on the internet, they are at least equal to the Gibson at a much lower price - if you can find one. I wouldn't know, not having a Gibson 165 for sound comparison. The dimensions have been exactly copied and the quality of manufacture is reputedly as good.

I have seen a two pickup version with a headstock like the Gretsch White Falcon, stepped on each side. Mine is supposed to be Nr.4 but there is absolutely nothing on the guitar, no internal label or neck stamping except the logo on the headstock. It seems that several were made in France and the rest at the Takamine factory in China. Why production was limited to just 12 examples is unknown. Perhaps they found themselves on the receiving end of a Gibson lawsuit. If so, they wouldn't have been the only ones!

It's definitely a jazz guitar, I'll be using it for rockabilly among other things. Eat your heart out Scotty Moore......NOT!

Manfred von Richtofen

#4099615 - 03/31/15 01:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Only 12 such guitars in existence? It seems to me that such a scarce item would make the prefect gift for any musically talented Derbyshire man. It is never too early, start constructing your heartfelt letter to Santa today.

To follow up on a previous post, a six-part series of "Wolf-Hall" begins here on PBS this coming Sunday. BTW there is also a play on Broadway of the same. Clearly, they are two different animals despite their common parent. I won't get to Broadway any time soon so I look forward to Sunday night. I don't think anyone mentioned Elizabeth R previously and that was a landmark production shown on PBS years ago.

Perhaps "Downton" is not quite up to the standard of "Upstairs.." but I do enjoy "Downton Abbey". I passed it by at first thinking it little more than an early twentieth century soap opera. After a second look however I was hooked on the series and I freely admit that now that it has been announced that the 6TH will be the final season I am sorry to see it go. Like it or not, it has become the most watched PBS series of all time.

As was pointed out previously, British comedy has long found a home here in the US on PBS. For some reason we Yanks easily appreciate Brit humor. Oddly enough, while many US TV shows have been very well received in the UK, I've read that Brits often fail to get the point of American humor. Is this true?

There is a well-know bit by veteran stand-up and TV comedian Jerry Sienfeld about that very thing. It highlights the variations in meaning of certain common words and phrases between the two peoples. In the bit Jerry is performing his best routines on stage in London and the sounds of crickets chirping is all he is getting from his audience. This is devastating so Jerry begins an analysis of the failure immediately he leaves the scene of the crime.

Turns out, all he has to do to get rich belly laughs and sincere applause from his UK audiences is to change a few words here and some phrases there so his humor is understood. No doubt some alterations have been made in some British comedies destined for American consumption for the same reason, however, if so, it has been seamlessly done.

Even with a program such as "Doc Martin" with much conversation carried out in the local accent of that beautiful seaside fishing community I have no trouble at all following along and apparently, due to its American popularity, neither does anyone else. I believe it was Twain who penned something like "The US and Britain are two countries separated by a common language." smile

After a cold night, it is a beautifully sunny morning here in eastern North Carolina. As I gaze over the warm, shingled roofs of my neighbor's houses from my upstairs window to the woods just beyond, I can clearly see the greens of springtime beginning to show on the deciduous trees. Temps are expected to rise into the high 70's F./ 25 C.

We have little snow here in winter let alone spring Dux. However we have had snow as late as April. It has always gone away very quickly when it has come. I'd expect Derbyshire is greening up now or it will very soon.

#4099651 - 03/31/15 02:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT,

If that's the 'Wolf Hall' I was on about - the series that just ended a few weeks ago - I thoroughly recommend it.

As far as our attitude to American humour was concerned, I think that would be a fair view as it existed then - in the fifties/early sixties during the days of Jack Benny and George Burns. My younger brother often made the comment that 'They would laugh if their arses were on fire'! Well, his opinion has obviously changed as evidenced by his dedication to The Simpsons and Pawn Stars.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4099664 - 03/31/15 03:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Hmmmm. I watched both Benny and his buddy Burns a kid in the 50's and a teen in the 60's. I got the humor and enjoyed it. Nothing was in color of course.

Sometimes it amazes me what passes for entertainment on our cable TV ans moreover is interesting to so many people. To each his own.

I have watched "Pawn Stars" and it is very, very popular here. So is something called "Lizard Lick Towing". Remember Lizard Lick? Well, it is a real town just down the road from us and my son knows the people who appear in the show. With apologies to his pals and to C51's wife who regularly watches it in Toronto; I might watch that show for punishment only.

So called "Reality" shows, as a rule, do not interest me in the least. Not even "Naked and Afraid". OK, mainly because the best parts of that show are always blurred out.... wink

#4099707 - 03/31/15 04:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

My favourites from those times were 'Rocky and Bullwinkle', a sort of adult cartoon series and 'Beverley Hillbillies' with those great characters including the lovely Donna Douglas. I often felt sorry for the long-suffering Mr Drysdale...

Manfred von Richtofen

#4099748 - 03/31/15 05:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

I well remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, the 'Way Back Machine' and all that. There was another similar cartoon called Crusader Rabbit. Much later on a Brit entry titled "Danger Mouse" featuring a James Bond like mouse, an arch villain called "the Brain" and a sidekick chappie known only as Penfold caught my un-divided.

No surprise really but I had no idea until now that those early programs made it across the big wet spot. I definitely watched "The Beverly Hillbillies". My high school principal happened to be Buddy Ebsen's roommate at the University of North Carolina. One long afternoon I had the good fortune to spend some 'quality' time with the tall, gray haired man for some minor transgression I now conveniently forget. But for his glasses, he actually favored Ebsen slightly.

Turns out Mr. Edison was good company. I had been in several successful school productions and for some reason he thought I should pursue an acting career. We got along fine that afternoon. He told me several interesting anecdotes about Buddy and the Carolina Playmakers of which he Buddy Ebsen and another young man you may have heard of, Andy Griffith were card carrying members. He was the only one of the three who did not make a name for himself as an actor. Mr. Edison did however make quite a name for himself in the field of education in our state. He was a good man who cared greatly for his faculty and kids as well. I always liked the man.

I was completely surprised to learn from him that it was he whom I had happily listened to as a small child each Christmas on local radio. At Christmastime he put on a one-man radio show that featured the voices of Santa and two pesky elves named "Pinky" and Pudgy". I was much impressed.

Page 456 of 608 1 2 454 455 456 457 458 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.