Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4098496 - 03/28/15 09:28 PM RPG choices Poll  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

I know there are at least Skyrim, Witcher, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and probably a few more.

Which would you RPG-ers choose as the best, or favorite(s)? I am not an RPG-er but am considering trying one.

Thanks (not sure if this is the right Forum...)

RPG choice
multiple choice
Skyrim
47%, 30 Votes
Witcher
16%, 10 Votes
Shadow of Mordor
5%, 3 Votes
Dragon Age: Inquisition
6%, 4 Votes
Other...
27%, 17 Votes
Total Votes: 64
Voting on this poll ends: 04/04/15 09:26 PM
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4098499 - 03/28/15 09:32 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I like RPG's that have a combination of action snd story elements. Stuff like Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect and Skyrim. I dont really care for the old school RPG's where you're reading and reading and reading all the time. I'll just read a book instead! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4098505 - 03/28/15 09:40 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
KOTOR was excellent, one of the best SW games, surely RPG. I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow of Mordor and took my time with it, getting 50 hours, but I'd say that's more of a stealth game than RPG. There isn't a tremendous amount of story to go with it, it's just stretched out. I have Witcher 2 but just couldn't get into it. I don't doubt its quality though. The Mass Effect series is really good, but 2 & 3 are more fps than RPG. The first is the worth playing of the three, IMO. Controller support is not there, if that's a factor.

My vote:
Skyrim.
The game never fails to please. Even restarting isn't that big a deal since you have so many storylines to live out, approaches you can adopt, character types...the game just keeps on giving. And if they ever finish the Oblivion mod, that's going to be an insane amount of fun to get out of one game.
Just do your mods FIRST and then forget about modding once you start.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4098521 - 03/28/15 10:07 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Ooh tough for me to say as I like different ones for different reasons and the ones listed are entirely different from one to another.

My first major rpg romance was Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. Dabbled with others in the past but this one was the one to teach me in general what an rpg is about compared to other genres.(lore, read books, questing, leveling up, applying skill points, getting immersed into a world) Skyrim is great with the same formula but Oblivion is much better for my tastes between the two.

I really, really like The Witcher. I have very little time in the first one but I got sucked into The Witcher 2 in a big way and cannot wait for The Withcer 3. Different kind of rpg with a heavy emphasis on political conspiracies and a gritty, if not seedier type of world presentation.

I confess I'm having the hardest time getting into Dragon Age: Inquisition. I want to love it but I'm having the hardest time getting into it. I'm not sure if its a slow start coupled with a combat system that I don't particularly care for or if its just not for me. I looked into this and some others had these issues too with some suggesting that the game really opens up after about ten hours. I don't know if that is true or not because I can barely put enough time into it before loosing interest in it to see.

Shadow of Mordor is an awesome game but I'd say its more an action game with some minor rpg elements with the main focus being on the Tolkien lore, combat/action and unique Nemesis system.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4098556 - 03/28/15 11:56 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
The Fallout series, both the setting and combat are much more interesting than the typical sword and sorcery fare.

#4098562 - 03/29/15 12:21 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Fallout 1 and 2 FTW!

- Ice
#4098604 - 03/29/15 03:20 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
If your considering trying only one, I would highly recommend Witcher, starting w/ The Witcher 2. Skyrim would be my personal favorite on the list, but I approach it from a much different perspective than most. Skyrim is more of a sandbox, a place to visit rather than a game to play, in which you can carve out a place for yourself. But, it's only really satisfying when heavily modded. A combination of survival mods that make Skyrim the harsh land it's presented to be, and the complete removal of every in-game HUD element makes it a personally rewarding experience.

Again, if your aiming for a direct comparison, I would start w/ The Witcher 2, and if after you've finished you still have an itch, consider Skyrim to hold you over til The Witcher 3.

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4098607 - 03/29/15 03:49 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Has anybody here picked up Pillars of Eternity yet?

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4098644 - 03/29/15 10:43 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Pillars of Eternity.

Simply the best RPG of the last 15 years.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4098660 - 03/29/15 12:17 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
POE is boooooooooring..read read use imagination. REALLY ? the whole reason i play games is becouse i dont like BOOKS !!
literature is dangerous, it gives you ideas, form your own thinking ! democracy should not stand for that !!!

Coot, if you havent, grab dragon age origins: ultimate edition...dragon age inquisition was made for consoletards "a bigger demography", the game feels like a mmo grinding, even though it was excelent dialogue, and some neat lore hidden here and there,but it does not feel the same gravitas, or even the world setting of dragon age origins.

Origins was a dark medieval fantasy, inquisition looks more like kingdom of amalur fantasy, in no way you feel the the world is ending unlike origins,and the problem with inquisition is they have wonderfull areas with barelly any "meaty" content at all.

Also origins was made for pc and they didnt reeeealy expect a sequel, so you have way more freedom of choices as a warden then the inquisitor who picks 3 dialogue choices all leading the same path or 2 divergent points durint 4 parts of the game, but thats it.

also in origins your origins matter and you have a rich prologue for each race and class/wheareas in inquisition to simplify matters every inquisition prologue is the same (though you have to consider that initialy the game would only feature human origin), so the quizzy backgrou,is given in codex.

Really check out dragon age origins, you will love the freedom it gives your roleplaying. no renegade and paragon #%&*$#.
Also take in consideration DAI was made for last gen becouse of EA mandatory, so we lost what the game was suposed to have like real battlefields and missions that matter DURING gameplay.

Also i would like to point that skyrim is hugely overrated. your actions bears no consequences.

Also2, why no rpg EVER uses a system based on logic ? if i buy armor and never use it, it should not drop 3x of value, now if i use the armor you can consider it is bent and battered from combat,so a price drop is fine.

Also why dont armors have dmg system, and the game a smithing system, so you PAY to fix it, and every fix decrease the rating and protection of the armor, forcing you to get a new one. same for swords and ect.....just dont make them break, thats silly.

i was honestly expecting that from skyrim when i heard about the smithing in the game

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 03/29/15 12:25 PM.
#4098662 - 03/29/15 12:25 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Pillars of Eternity.

Simply the best RPG of the last 15 years.

plays like one too...

#4098664 - 03/29/15 12:34 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
POE... is not for you kids... not saying your a kid Blade. wink I don't know you... but POE is a awesome ol school CRPG like the old and great Baulder's Gate and/or Icewind Dale.

There's 2 types of CPR's... so it's hard to vote, because we would need to know what kind of gamer you are, and what experience you have with CRPG's?

As a old fart who played AD%D as a young teenager, and even in my early years of the Army... I really can get into an ol school CRPG, like the recently released Pillars of Eternity, which is awesome for what it is, but does require reading, thinking, and as SpongeBob Square pants would say "imagination".

Now if you like the more modern, kid friendly, I just want action, CRPG's like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition... then you got a lot of choices including plenty of good ones in your little poll.

I would say, since it's probably cheap as hell right now Skyrim might be a good start, Dragon Age Inquisition is pretty damn awesome... but I'm really looking forward to the next Witcher, but the Witcher series has always been a little more difficult to me then the others... imo

SO... research, and decide.

#4098689 - 03/29/15 02:00 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Well my first rpg was DAO, and its your fault magnum, with those pictures of dog. it was my first time having to learn those foreign concepts as lore (aka weird names for places,reeeding >_> ), stats, and such.

So i got acostumed to talk talky cutscenes, i was interested in POE, but i saw gameplay and there is a wall of text almost every where, i loved codex in DAO, and collected everybook in skyrim, but during gameplay is a turn off for me,specially dislike that DeeanDee narration "and so watching though the peek hole, he gazed upon..." DAO had this but not much and was more of a nod to D&Ds.

#4098852 - 03/29/15 08:07 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I was born and raised on old school CRPGs but I don't think I could go back to one now, an open world setting and player controlled combat are where its at.

I just wish someone could combine the story depth and challenge of the class CRPGs with the above, and base it in a setting that hasn't been done to death more than the zombie gendre.

#4098856 - 03/29/15 08:17 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
POE is really a well done modern version of the great old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate.

I tried to hold off on buying it since I still have Wastelands 2 and Divinity Original Sin to finish which are also excellent RPGs, but the rave reviews and let's plays made me pick POE up and I'm really glad I did, having tons of fun with the great story and challenging gameplay.

POE is more serious and has less reading and more action that Divinity Original Sin, and the combat feels better than Wastelands2, so there is definitely room in my RPG library for it.

I'm really happy that Kickstarter has allowed so many good RPG games to be made, don't get me wrong, I also enjoy the modern Bioware/Bethesda FPS type openworld RPGs, but there's also a ton of fun to be had with the older style, deep story isometric turn based RPGs as well, and we are lucky to have so many good ones out the last year or so, it's really cool to see how well they are doing sales and reviews wise too.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4098857 - 03/29/15 08:19 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Really enjoying The Quest and Silversword. The Quest is just about as good as could expect from character development and storyline. Silversword is for you Bard's Tale fans. I really like the slower pace and partial text based RPG's.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4098860 - 03/29/15 08:25 PM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Blade_RJ]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Blade_RJ

Also2, why no rpg EVER uses a system based on logic ? if i buy armor and never use it, it should not drop 3x of value, now if i use the armor you can consider it is bent and battered from combat,so a price drop is fine.

Also why dont armors have dmg system, and the game a smithing system, so you PAY to fix it, and every fix decrease the rating and protection of the armor, forcing you to get a new one. same for swords and ect.....just dont make them break, thats silly.

Both Morrowind and Fallout 3 use a system where your equipment degrades and can break. In Morrowind at least, your equipment declines in value if you try to sell it depending on its condition, and the prices you are offered to buy/sell depend on the seller's disposition towards you as well. Those are just two RPG's I've played recently that do this.

BT

For someone new or relatively new to RPG's I can't think of a better intro point than Skyrim. First, the game is simply gorgeous. Second, it is widely acclaimed by many, many people so chances are you'll like it, too. Third, the game is very accessible as an RPG, and certainly "easier" than older Elder Scrolls games like Morrowind. The story is good enough, you have plenty of customization options, and once you get your feet wet there is a simply massive amount of mods available.

I don't agree that Skyrim needs to be modded out of the box. It is really well done vanilla. Mods do improve the game, but I don't think they're vital to start out.

Really, Skyrim is just great. It's challenging but not super hard, has in interesting story, and is very easy to get into. I don't see how you can go wrong with it.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4098932 - 03/30/15 01:59 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Skyrim. No contest. Maybe an old game but still looks great and plays great with all those mods available for it.

#4098968 - 03/30/15 06:56 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Other. My favorite was the Mass Effect series (although they are really half shooters). Fallout 3/ NV were fun to, but just too sandboxish. Low quality throughout. I would prefer if they lost 30% or so of the scale and added more quality to the UI, combat, voices, ect.

I also liked other open world/RPG hybrids, like Dues Ex Human Revolution and the STALKER games. I would really like a harder sci fi RPG. Sci fi RPGs seem to be few and far. Really wish that setting would become more popular for RPGs. I am really not into fantasy type games, although I an wanting to play The Witcher 2/3. I have The Witcher 2, so I should play it sometime...

#4099002 - 03/30/15 09:10 AM Re: RPG choices Poll [Re: Dunolde]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

I played Dishonored for awhile then got tired of being on rails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.