Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4098110 - 03/27/15 08:51 PM Amazon Cloud. what is going on?  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Got this email from amazon today, maybe some of you received it as well:

Thanks for being an Amazon Cloud Drive customer! Amazon Cloud Drive is introducing new unlimited storage plans.

You can now save all your photos in one place with the Unlimited Photos plan for $11.99/year, plus 5 GB for videos and files. Or, if you have more than photos that you need to keep safe, the Unlimited Everything plan is perfect for all your photos, video, files, and documents, for $59.99/year.

What happens to my current plan?
Your 5 GB plan is no longer available and has been replaced with a free 3-month trial of one of the Unlimited plans. Access to your existing files has not changed. You can continue to download and view your content. In order to upload new files you will need to pick one of the free 3-month trials.

Maybe I'm paranoid. But I really don't like this wording in the mail:

"What happens to my current plan?
Your 5 GB plan is no longer available and has been replaced with a free 3-month trial of one of the Unlimited plans."

Does that mean that I will be billed if I don't cancel? And btw I can't cancel anything because I'm not a prime customer. And I don't intend to log on to Amazon Cloud because doing so implies my accept on the terms & conditions.

What country of law applies to Amazon? and does that law have anything to say about giving me, the customer a clearly worded, easily recognizable opt-out option? Or committing a company such as Amazon, not to unilaterally change the terms and conditions without clearly informing me of this change and giving me an opt out.

Would removing all my payment information from Amazon and effectively closing my account be the safest option? this is not about money anymore. This is about principle and I'll out principle anyone just as a matter of principle!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4098115 - 03/27/15 09:01 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I heard the plans for the Amazon Cloud are still up in the air.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4098124 - 03/27/15 09:18 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
On a related note, I signed up for a free 1 month Prime membership so I could watch some movie on demand, and then forgot to cancel in a month. Got the bill one month later, and promptly cancelled. Money refunded in a day. OK, that's cool.

Yesterday, I get dinged for another $100, and since it's the weekend, won't have a refund and/or access to that cash until Monday, at the earliest.

The interwebs is getting out of control.

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#4098137 - 03/27/15 09:55 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying this email is completely out of the blue and you're not even an Amazon Cloud customer?

If you are, what are you currently paying for the 5GB plan?

#4098141 - 03/27/15 10:12 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Free user I was. And now I can't figure out what Amazon think they're doing. So I'm confused.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4098164 - 03/27/15 10:57 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
So you do have an account you can cancel? Presumably if you do that before the three month trial expires you won't be charged. Plenty of time to download anything you've got stored on there and check out the alternatives, i.e. dropbox.

#4098171 - 03/27/15 11:11 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: McGonigle
Free user I was. And now I can't figure out what Amazon think they're doing. So I'm confused.

Quote:
Access to your existing files has not changed. You can continue to download and view your content. In order to upload new files you will need to pick one of the free 3-month trials.

it sounds like you can continue downloading the content you have already stored with them, but if you want/try to upload additional content, they will make you choose a 3-month trial level... after which they would bill you if you didn't cancel it.

Of course, the prudent thing would be to check with them on that. But if you just go to download your existing content, and do not get prompted to choose a plan, it would seem you have nothing to worry about unless you leter decide you want to upload something.

#4098173 - 03/27/15 11:18 PM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I need to find out how this might impact the MP3 albums I've purchased, which are automatically saved in the "cloud" for me to download later. I have a few GB of such purchased music in the "cloud", which I may need to hard copy.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4098198 - 03/28/15 12:01 AM Re: Amazon Cloud. what is going on? [Re: McGonigle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Mine seems to be worded a little different. We get the 5GB and unlimited photo storage free as part of Amazon Prime. (apparently, didn't know that)

Thanks for being an Amazon Cloud Drive customer! Amazon Cloud Drive is introducing new unlimited storage plans.

You can save all your photos plus 5 GB for videos and files in one place with the Unlimited Photos plan which is free with your Prime membership. If you have more than photos that you need to keep safe, the Unlimited Everything plan is perfect for all your photos, videos, files, and documents, for $59.99/year.

What happens to my current plan?
All of the files you have previously stored in Cloud Drive are still accessible, and since you are a Prime member, you automatically receive Unlimited Photos benefits for free.

Can I change plans now?
Yes, you can upgrade to the Unlimited Everything plan and start the 3-month free trial.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.