Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4096025 - 03/24/15 12:35 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Well, shooting the MG-3 is quite fun, but you should make sure that you find someone else to carry gun as well as ammo around for you.
We once let some Americans shoot it, and they were kind of ambivalent; mostly because they didn't press themselves properly against the stock and got their shoulders hurt a bit...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4096076 - 03/24/15 02:16 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

The Mg-3 impressed me the way it barked and kicked, and despite that was mighty precise.
Loved it compared to the "meh" of our own Short Carbine, the Beretta Sc 70/90.
(Even our "Minimi" just didn't deliver such a feeling...)
Luckily it was just for familiarization as there was this huge boy that before enlisting was a Lumberjack assigned to it.
Should have seen the guy. His nickname was Eclipse. well over 1.90 m and as broad as a barn door.

He also had such a stamina that despite having the Mg3 and half the ammo he never was over a step behind the NCO when marching.

:/

It took a while for the some in the Company to keep effectively up.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4096084 - 03/24/15 02:22 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Kind of like how so many films have tires squealing when cars turn corners or hit the gas...even when they're clearly NOT on pavement but are on dirt, mud, or grass!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4096218 - 03/24/15 06:16 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I think fistfights and hand to hand combat are generally the worst form of fight choreography that even modern cinema still has trouble catching up with reality- probably because reality is too clumsy for the screen. Everything else has improved in modern films, but fisticuffs or sword duels and things like that- still very theatrical.

#4096223 - 03/24/15 06:19 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
If they were half realistic we wouldn't have people showing up at gun ranges expecting exploding gas tanks, giant muzzle flashes, and people that are automatically 100% knowledgeable because they managed to grow male genitals.

Couldn't have that, no sir!

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4096239 - 03/24/15 06:29 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The only ones who got it right were the producers of the Batman TV series.

*POW* *CRASH*

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4096241 - 03/24/15 06:29 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Mechanus]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Mechanus
I think fistfights and hand to hand combat are generally the worst form of fight choreography that even modern cinema still has trouble catching up with reality- probably because reality is too clumsy for the screen. Everything else has improved in modern films, but fisticuffs or sword duels and things like that- still very theatrical.

A few films have gotten it right IMHO. The Bourne series always had very visceral and realistic looking hand to hand combat.

Some of the older tv shows like Star Trek: TOS and Babylon 5 had terrible fight choreography but I still love them. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4096244 - 03/24/15 06:31 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Those are cleanly into the realm of "so bad they're amazing"

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4096482 - 03/25/15 12:20 AM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Personally, I think the most realistic fight in movie history was when Jonah Hill and Diddy punched each other's fists in "Get Him to the Greek."

What irks me about most movie fights isn't the poor choreography, but rather the beatings people take and remain on their feet, ready to fight some more.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4096485 - 03/25/15 12:25 AM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
How about when they get thrown through a window and get up like it was nothing?

'I've just broken a leg, fractured a rib and been cut by a thousand shards of glass, Lets fight!' ar15

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4096490 - 03/25/15 12:35 AM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Most of those hits if they land as square as that would do things like break noses or an orbital bone (let alone the fragile bones in the human hand)- those are serious and could be life threatening.

However, the hits themselves are telegraphed and often look show camera angles that make them look dramatic- especially like in Rocky films, the windup comes for a long time, and then, "Pmfh" Risin' up, back on the street. Did my time, took my chances

Some of the worst knockouts I've seen it didn't look like the punch landed so accurately, almost looks like a glancing blow that you would assume would not do that. I'll never forget one fight I witnessed- a smaller guy hit a bigger guy on the ear. From my vantage point, looked like he barely clipped him, the big guy just crumpled.

Nevertheless, in movie fights, it's either a one hit knockout, or guys keep fighting for a long time with these amazing, accurate punches.

#4096778 - 03/25/15 02:12 PM Re: So when did movies drop those stupid ricochet effects? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I don't care to specify what happened, but I've been in a couple fistfights.

Unless one is constantly sparring (I was just training in martial arts) you, well... I, feel always like you're not going to do any harm. And thus use too much force.
In any case, what Mechanus said- a fist in more than enough to drop nearly anyone.

There was a TV series where the main character ended up with his head on the ground and beaten on the cheekbone with a battle rifle no less than 10 times. Amazingly he ended up with some skin cuts on said cheekbone.

jawdrop

At least I always walked away standing.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.