Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4097505 - 03/26/15 06:59 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hasse, this is actually standard procedure for most airlines. I know BA's (whom I work for) policy is to have a second person in the cockpit when either of the two pilots have to lead. The responsibility it to close the door and monitor the peep hole when the pilot returns.

Also, on the a/c that have a forward galley near the cockpit, they will use a roller cart as a barrier when the cockpit door is to be opened.

Apparently this was not part of Germanwings SOP or they simply did not follow protocol.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4097523 - 03/26/15 07:31 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
I heard tonight the theory of a pilot saying the armored door was not the solution. He said that if some crazy guys in the plane kill two or three passengers or crew and tell him that they will continue killing people if he doesn't open the door, he would probably open it...

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#4098506 - 03/28/15 09:41 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I would imagine now they will have to look at automatic checks to stop a routine aircraft being allowed to dive in such a dramatic way especially around towns or mountains, at least when only 1 guy in is the cockpit or something.

Also maybe it needs a ground control activated override for the lock on doors (again maybe when only 1 person in the cockpit).

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4098531 - 03/28/15 10:40 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

In the future this problem will probably be solved when human pilots are replaced by computers.

As long as nobody hacks them, that is.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4098598 - 03/29/15 02:39 AM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Solve this one real easy... go back to a three man cockpit. Done.

#4098635 - 03/29/15 09:01 AM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: OvStachel]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: OvStachel
Solve this one real easy... go back to a three man cockpit. Done.

It will never happen. This case of pilots volunteerly crashing their plane happened around 10 times in modern aviation history out of millions of flights. This will never justify the extra cost of having a three man crew on every plane. This is how free market economy works.
Customers today want to pay the smallest possible price for their flights (same with everything they buy), they have to accept the consequences and the risks involved, being this airplane crash, children working in chinese factories or clothing factories collapsing on workers in Bangladesh, as well as being slowly poisened by the industrial food they eat.

Last edited by corsaire31; 03/29/15 09:05 AM.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#4098776 - 03/29/15 04:43 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: Hasse]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hasse
In the future this problem will probably be solved when human pilots are replaced by computers.

As long as nobody hacks them, that is.

There was a story last week, on the NBC evening news I believe, about people hacking smart cars. So it would happen, I'm sure.

Corsaire, I know OvS said a three-man (person) cockpit, but the effect will be accomplished by having no fewer than two people in the cockpit at any given time. So when either pilot or co-pilot feels a need to step out for a moment one of the flight attendants would go in until his/her return to help lessen the chances of a repeat of this tragedy. Of course, there's always the possibility of overpowering the "monitor", which is why I said "lessen the chances".

As an aside, I didn't know that the third person had been eliminated until this. How long has that been the case? And more importantly, whose been getting the vectors since Victor's departure?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4098783 - 03/29/15 04:52 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
I'm no expert but flight engineers, like on the old 727s, have been dwindling for a while as their duties have been absorbed via the advancements in technology. Planes like 737, 757, 767, 777 have a crew of two.

#4098862 - 03/29/15 08:30 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
It wouldn't be for any other reason but security. There are presently no modern commercial aircraft that require more then 2 flight crew to fly it. The B787 being the most modern Boeing venture is above and beyond anything before it, and will fly, and taxi itself. Pilot basically turns it on and off.

From what I gather reading about the investigation, there is a very gray area created about reporting employee health issues according to EASA standards. It seems for this carrier, the responsibility is on the employee to report his/her sickness to the company of employment and not the doctor providing the care. Under normal circumstances of a cold or a flu, I could understand... but a mental disorder that involves the operation of a aircraft is a whole different ball game. There is a fine line between information that should be made "public" and that which should be kept private.

That will most likely be the factor to change. I would gather in the form of airlines and other companies using a specified doctor to conduct routine health/mental checks on all flight/maintenance crews, having the results directly submitted to the Quality/Certifying departments of each individual airlines.

As it stands with whom I work for, our standard are extremely high and nothing less than 100% attention to detail is expected. That should be the standard of any carrier in the business of passenger transportation. But even these standards have hole, which I would imagine are about to be plugged by the FAA, CAA and EASA very quickly.

OvS

Last edited by OvStachel; 03/29/15 08:30 PM.

#4098878 - 03/29/15 09:22 PM Re: OT - Germanwings Tragedy [Re: HumanDrone]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Interesting POVs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social