Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4094226 - 03/20/15 08:01 AM Redeeming my Tiger II's last failed sortie  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
It was decided, after a ground up rebuild of my shattered Tiger II ...and some time out for the boys with the nurses far away from the front where late night parties and midday hangovers had become the norm, that they must push forward into battle again. This time no matter the circumstance they would stick with what they knew worked. Staying in cover, hull down, long range. After an initial push from their hop off point they buttoned up with a view from the edge of a forest overlooking the plain that the enemy was expected to travel across.

With a Jagdpanther and another Tiger II on their left flank we had solid overlapping cover of the whole plain before us. Another two Tiger II's were covering the right 100 metres away, all well hidden. The enemy slowly appeared, all preferring to stay hull down about 12-1400 metres away and shots were traded until one of them bolted out into the open which spurred a mini charge by the allied forces. At a mere 1000 metres it was impossible to miss.

The first shot into the turret was a Tiger to my right, second and third were mine. We had a kill up and the boys refocused with a hardened gaze, they knew what it was like to be inside a burning coffin of steel. A T44 and another M26 that had followed were also left shattered behind this lead tank. Two others had stayed hull down and watched as their attempted rush attack had failed. None of our side moved from cover, just waited, watching.

Movement about 1600 away caught the commanders eye, an SU tank destroyer appeared, moving quickly for the forest opposite. I called his position to the other crews and then we traversed and followed him with the turret, the 88 swinging across slowly, judging where he would be by time the shell had made it's flight..we fired..

You can see the flash our 88 just above the Su mantlet in the distant tree line

A couple of seconds wait as shell and Su moved to close on the same point in time, we would either alert him..or he would know nothing more...

Commander backslapped the gunner, waited and watched for another minute or two to make sure nothing else came across the killing field. The three other Tigers broke cover and headed for the enemy lines, the Jagdpanther stayed as rear cover and we decided to move back to the other flank as it seemed light on, this flank was rolled up. Our job here was done.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4094228 - 03/20/15 08:09 AM Re: Redeeming my Tiger II's last failed sortie [Re: Ajay]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Awesome stuff. wink
It feels pretty awesome when you manage to chalk up two or three kills in a row.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4094257 - 03/20/15 10:05 AM Re: Redeeming my Tiger II's last failed sortie [Re: Ajay]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Another good AAR mate smile

#4094284 - 03/20/15 11:15 AM Re: Redeeming my Tiger II's last failed sortie [Re: Ajay]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
You produce some good AAR's Ajay old chap cheers

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4094336 - 03/20/15 12:57 PM Re: Redeeming my Tiger II's last failed sortie [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Cheers chaps smile Took the boys out for one last run this evening, starting to finally get attached to this beast. Plan was the same, ambush position, picked a spot where i was covered one side and the other had two of our guys ahead and moving forward. My idea was to just wait for the enemy to trundle down the road ahead of me, of course this didn't happen. While i was waiting the guys on my right flank ahead turned and crossed over in front down the road i was covering, just after they passed i heard a 'BOOMF!' and saw a puff of smoke appear out the rocks ahead on the hill in front. You can just see the puff of dusty cannon smoke in the rocks to the right of the black smoke in this pic.

If i didn't move out that guy would trundle down and deliver rear shots into the two who had just passed below him..so off we went, at least i knew he didn't know i was there and would hopefully be focused on them and not see me until too late..so off we went, eyes wide biggrin

Right where i was looking i saw movement in the bushes and then a black shape, aimed for what i hoped was the centre and let the gunner take charge

And what do you know..another tanker is decorated with the 'Grand Award of the Flying Turret' (Posthumous)

This shot gives a better idea of his crafty and evil little hiding spot.

3 kills and time to retire for the night and wash the sweaty smell of fear out of the tank, no doubt next time it will be a knife fight map like Jungle, Kuban or Karelia (ugh) next..dreading it if so..please be Kursk smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.