Hop To
Page 41 of 64 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 63 64
#4391391 - 11/26/17 01:36 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Almost sounded like you were mimicking a blip switch when you landed.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4391396 - 11/26/17 02:02 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
LOL.

Mike said that depending on how the aircraft was pointed the sound of the engine really changed.

At idle, though, she's really quiet.

He goofed up recording on his camera, but the other guy didn't and is going to upload what he has on his phone to me Monday or Tuesday, and I'll have some sexy stuff to make a video of.

Bunches of folks only ever show the good stuff where they grease it in, which is kind of sad. I tend to advertise the not-so-good, as it's more interesting and informative.

In this case, what screwed me up was overthinking my landing point. I was dropping like a rock, and throttled up to halt it - and thought maybe I should extend to land closer to the guys. And then thought that was dumb and I should just land. And, naturally, bounced it. Once I had the wheels down I glanced up at them and wound up a little off track of centerline, and instead of just pulling the stick back got cute with the rudder first.

The swishy-swish stuff after the tail was down, though, was purely for comedic effect.

Still, no wing scrub, no wheels bent, so it's all good in my book!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4391446 - 11/26/17 12:07 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Good stuff !

Maybe it’s because I’m looking for it, but I still see anhedral in the video.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4391495 - 11/26/17 04:13 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Old, that illusion is being caused by the fact that the Nieuport's upper wing has a slight sweep back to it. At least the real one does, anyway. I'm sure Dart's replica does, also. Swept wing jets will give that illusion, too, at some angles.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4391501 - 11/26/17 04:52 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yep, seven degree sweep, just like the original.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4391592 - 11/27/17 11:08 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
You weren't joking about the glideslope of a rock. I'm surprised that your "fat ultralight" doesn't do better in that department - i.e. it does look really steep without power?

#4391633 - 11/27/17 05:52 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Power off best glide is about a 10 degree down angle - if one goes engine out, look at what's below you.

I'll see if I can get my little screen capture program to agree with me and make a video of what CloudAhoy recorded during the "flight after repair" landing. It is instructive to see just why I bounced the heck outta the aircraft - hint: it is in fact all pilot error.

The entire aircraft is an exercise in how to induce as much drag as possible and still have it fly with a small engine and prop.

From Laser:
#4391648 - 11/27/17 08:56 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
But she’s a pretty string bag ! And you are such a joyful adventurer.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4391663 - 11/27/17 11:40 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I'm sure a lot of people look at your Airplane, Dart, and think, "Boy, I bet that's easy to fly, huh?" But with that small wingspan, flat nose, wires, struts...etc.. I'm not surprised that she glides like brick zeppelin. And I'm sure you're bouncing around a lot and dancing on those rudder pedals, right?
People thought that my Sonex looked like a handful. But it wasn't. I actually was surprised at how easy she was to handle. And being a taildragger I was just waiting for the day I groundlooped it. But I never even came close.
Speaking of that, how is that little Nieuport when she's back down on earth? Tap dancing practice?

Last edited by Pooch; 11/27/17 11:41 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4391666 - 11/28/17 12:46 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Once she's down, she's down, and ground handling is very straight forward. Like every tail dragger, one must be ready to put on dancing shoes at any time, though. wink

The thing I'm trying to figure out is rounding her out from that descent into a more gentle landing angle and attitude AND not going too fast at the same time. The days of mile long finals are done with this aircraft; they're not really helpful and it's not like one can see well out of the front of the windscreen.

With an aircraft like this the notion of "what did the panel say" is irrelevant. If you're looking at the panel you're about to do something very bad with the ground. This is all eyes up, looking at the horizon, the ground, and how the plane looks against them kind of aircraft.

But I cheat. Usually I have a little app - CloudAhoy - running on a tablet in the aircraft that tracks the aircraft via GPS, and even takes in reported winds to figure true airspeed. It's not 100%, but it's pretty darned good* and has been invaluable in figuring out the "V numbers" of the aircraft.

* CloudAhoy does not like really tight turns in the "simulated glass cockpit" mode. It just doesn't render 60 degree banked turns that make a circle of less than 700 feet. It also assumes one is in a nose geared aircraft, so while it's really good on takeoff, on landing it assumes that when one slows to a certain point the plane is level rather than tail low. It's super minor, but always takes me by surprise. It also will lose track from time to time, so one looks like they had lag on the server - in real life.

From Laser:
#4391704 - 11/28/17 05:45 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'm not saying she drops like a rock when one pulls the power, but...

[Linked Image]

From Laser:
#4391707 - 11/28/17 08:30 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Here's a little something I put together for a possible presentation at my next EAA meeting (we're really desperate for content):

From Laser:
#4391715 - 11/28/17 10:43 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Would it be correct to say that these designs trade appearance for flying characteristics? Not a bad trade if so wink

#4391736 - 11/28/17 01:03 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Very cool. I just downloaded that app. Thanks for turning me on to it.

I see on your approach analysis that it only knows ground speed. I know you have been flying in light winds so the difference in airspeed versus ground speed isn’t all that great and shouldn’t throw that speed number off too much, but don’t forget to factor it in. If your groundspeed was 55 then your airspeed was slightly greater. So even more propensity to bounce and float.

I wouldn’t be to hard on yourself about landings. Unlike production aircraft you don’t have a POH produced by engineers and test pilots. That is you. So you are establishing approach procedures and power settings. And without flaps and trim, it is all less forgiving. So all you have to work with is power setting and flare. You are flying it to the ground. And this is the test pilot stage. Shaking things out.

Yeah, 600 is a lot of down. To me I would try initial aim point short of runway, round out to get a much lower sink rate, add just a bit of power (just a couple hundred RPM) and then go for your landing aimpoint with a flatter approach, and just fly her to the ground. You had the airspeed to have allowed for more pulling back without stalling. That would lessen the sink rate.

I found my Cardinal landings were better with just a couple hundred additional RPM above idle. A full chopped throttle made the bottom drop out and a plonk. Part of the Cardinals landing being different than a 172 is the different wing design on the early ones like mine. They had laminar flow wings that really lost lift at low speed. So the transition on landing from flying to dropping happened fast right at flare. So I had to change what I knew from training with the 172.

#4391747 - 11/28/17 02:34 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Yes, the constantly learning is part of the fascination of aviation. And the fun of it...as long as you don't break the airplane, and yourself. My Sonex was a whole new flying experience for me. ...Never had an airplane that I could fly upside down, before! And I had gotten use to lowering the flaps to full down on landing on other airplanes, mostly Cessnas. You don't do that on the Sonex. Not on mine, at least. It was like hanging two barn doors outside of the airplane. First time I did it, I had a landing the may have been a bit worse than Darts. The Sonex was still vibrating a bit as I was rolling to stop. Learning.
You're having way too much fun. Seeing all of this makes me want to go up again.

#4391761 - 11/28/17 04:16 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Thanks, y'all!

It really is a conversation one has with the aircraft, learning each other's language.

OG:

CloudAhoy does in fact account for wind - there just wasn't any of measure on that flight!

Here's a screenshot from my first cross country over to St. Clair County:

[Linked Image]

If one squints, they can see the little airplane on the lower right of the track, flying south before the turn back to the airport.

It takes reported winds from airport stations as well as NOAA and extrapolates, which is pretty cool. Not super accurate, but not bad - I couldn't argue with what it spat out.

On the course itself in that flight, note that I went around the large patches of forest, opting to stay over handy fields.

Last edited by Dart; 11/28/17 04:19 PM.

From Laser:
#4391799 - 11/28/17 09:11 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Humph, CloudAhoy looks like PlanG (kinda) for FSX and P3D wink

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4391910 - 11/29/17 06:49 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It would not surprise me if there wasn't some inspiration there. wink

Having a tablet with GPS and tilt sensors record while an aircraft is in flight and then overlaying it onto Google Earth isn't exactly rocket surgery - but what impresses me is how they grabbed the NOAA data on winds at different altitudes to do the airspeed calculations. They're not 100%, of course, but pretty good.

There's a host of ways to view a flight - over a sectional, a road map, Google Earth (including "3D" terrain), as well as bunches of data charts one can pull up.

It also knows when one is at an airport and does the designation for it.

I'm pretty stoked that Saturday's forecast for the airport is "Mostly Sunny," 67 degrees, and winds at 2 MPH. Wife better not have anything planned or I'm going to be one grumpy fellow.

From Laser:
#4392269 - 12/01/17 02:12 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Because I'm shameless...

From Laser:
#4392718 - 12/02/17 06:08 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Your taxi speed looked just about as fast as your high speed flyby. winkngrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Page 41 of 64 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.