Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4081781 - 02/21/15 05:10 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So I attempted to play the campaign for the Western Roman Empire and um yeah, it's really tough. Then afterwards I checked the default difficulty for the campaign and it was "legendary". I scrapped that campaign and started one as the Saxons. That one is much better and not too ridiculously difficult. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/21/15 06:57 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4082604 - 02/23/15 03:29 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
With a little help from a post at the official forum, I finally figured a work around to get the game to run properly, and more surprisingly, I am getting pretty good frame rates.

I was on the right track with the core assignment Idea, but just had not tried the right combination.

I start the game and after the slash screen fades and the lagging intro tries to play, I hit escape to eventually get the main menu up. It's pretty well frozen registering 1 FPS. Then I start task manager
and go into the actual game process and only un-tick core "0" leaving all the other cores ticked.

When I go back into the game, everything is normal plus I can exit the game without locking up.

If I combine this work around with the "bring up the Rome 2 launcher, but instead launch Attila" procedure,
I am getting an average of 42 fps. in the battle benchmark test. That's with units on large and almost half of the various settings at "quality" with the rest a step down to "performance". The developers claim that
the extreme quality settings in the game are there for GPU's that don't even exist yet.

Unfortunately, I have to go through this process every time I start the game, but the feedback from the developers on the official forum is that they are aware of the launcher and menu lag conflict and should address this in their first patch.

I got caught up in a new FOTS campaign now, so I may still hold off getting too involved with Attila until
the first patch.

I have to admit that I favor the gunpowder based TW games over the pure mle based versions--especially if I get artillery---kaboom!

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4082620 - 02/23/15 03:52 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I've not had any issues with the launcher lag in either Rome 2 or Attila. Thanks for sharing that info though!

Speaking of gundpowder stuff, I'm still wondering if anyone would ever make a US Civil War mod for Napoleon Total War. I would love that and would pay for such a mod!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4082665 - 02/23/15 05:43 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I've not had any issues with the launcher lag in either Rome 2 or Attila. Thanks for sharing that info though!

Speaking of gundpowder stuff, I'm still wondering if anyone would ever make a US Civil War mod for Napoleon Total War. I would love that and would pay for such a mod!

"
There are two different ACW mods for Empire. One is called the "Blue and the Gray" while the other is "Brother against Brother". The advantage of using Empire over Napoleon is that Empire actually has a map of North America while Napoleon does not. The problem being that there are no tools available to create new strat maps.

Just do a Google search for ACW Total war mods and you will find links to both of them.

Cheers

#4086280 - 03/02/15 02:56 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
How much have you guys been playing Attila? I've got about 50 hours into the game so far and I absolutely love it. The graphics are much nicer, I like how detailed and thorough the family politics has been implemented and the 3D battles are even better implemented than in Rome 2. My only slight disappointment so far is that the dreaded Huns don't seem to be so tough. My Saxon armies have been opening up cans of whoopass on them. smile

The decisions you make within the family political aspect actually make sense now and have logical consequences.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/02/15 03:35 PM.

#4087015 - 03/03/15 06:27 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Other that a few turns of the prologue, I haven't played it at all. I will get to it eventually, but as I said earlier, while waiting on the first patch, I got involved with a FOTS campaign. Then last week when the first patch got delayed for another week, I started another--also in FOTS.

This time I am trying to score my 3rd legendary win going as independent, which may be one of the toughest TW games to win, but I am hearing Attila is quite a challenge for most.

The only problem I have with Attila (besides the time period) is that it seems like it's all based on fighting some variation of Germanic, Celtic, or Hunic type tribes. Basically all barbarian/nomadic cultures.

At least in Rome there was a bit more variation with Hellenistic, Eastern, and North African cultures
thrown into the mix.

Glad you are enjoying Attila though.

Cheers

#4087031 - 03/03/15 06:43 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Forward Observer
but I am hearing Attila is quite a challenge for most.

The only problem I have with Attila (besides the time period) is that it seems like it's all based on fighting some variation of Germanic, Celtic, or Hunic type tribes. Basically all barbarian/nomadic cultures.

Cheers
Apparently the two toughest campaigns in Attila are the ones for the Eastern and Western Roman Empires. I'll tackle playing as one of those after I finish my current campaign. I'm playing the Saxon campaign on "normal" and overall it's been pretty easy but I've been playing TW games since 2000. smile

#4087585 - 03/04/15 04:38 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Just thought I would mention that today's new (1st) patch fixed all of my technical issues. The intro movie and menu lag are all gone. In addition my in-game frame rates appear to also have improved.

I was able to set all of my options to "quality" with the exception of leaving shadows on "performance" and get an average of 41 FPS in the in-game benchmark test.

Check out your game to see if you got any improvement.

My less than state of the art system:

I7--3820 3.6 Ghz liquid cooled GPU only.
16 GB ram
256 mb SSD for OS and games 2 TB standard hard drive for all else.
GTX670 OC 4 Gb dedicated video Ram (will be ordering a new GTX980 soon)

Cheers

#4087588 - 03/04/15 04:42 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that update FO! I'll get patched up tonight!

#4087670 - 03/04/15 07:40 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I played through the Prologue and just finished and started a campaign as the Visigoths to sort of follow on from the Prologue story.

Really enjoying it so far, and it's running well on my 970 with most of the gfx on ultra (even with GEM FX mod installed), which I had heard were only for future video cards, looks great and I spend much more time than in previous titles watching the battle from the cinematic camera, this is one of my favorite historic periods and BI was one of my favorite TW games, so I'm really enjoying it.

Hope they keep working on the bugs that are impacting folks though, and I hope they come out with some good add-on campaigns like they did with Rome2.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4087999 - 03/05/15 02:05 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Played Attila for a couple of hours last night with the patch and yeah, the framerate is definitely improved!

Job well done CA.

I noticed the interesting change they made with the campaign victory levels. There's "Minor Victory" and then it branches off into "Military" or "Cultural" victory and once you achieve one of those you can get "Divine Victory".

#4088037 - 03/05/15 02:40 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
For a second I mistook "campaign victory" for "battle victory", and was wondering how one wins a cultural victory vs military by stabbing people in the face.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4090292 - 03/10/15 07:11 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I started a second campaign as the Eastern Roman Empire and I'm having an absolute blast!! This campaign is much more fun and more challenging than the first campaign I played. The damn Sassanid Empire WILL go down in defeat before me. smile

#4103535 - 04/09/15 07:39 AM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I bought this last week and have been playing a Franks campaign. I started off by taking and holding England while making friends with the other British tribes.
I now have most of France as well, and have allied myself to most of the surrounding tribes mainly to concentrate getting rid of the Western Roman Empire which is going well but I have the feeling that when the time comes to break one of my alliances all hell will break loose.

I am only about 60 odd turns in but really enjoying the game and finding more stuff out daily, it definitely seems a lot harder than Rome 2 though and a nice challenge, the Ostrogoths are next on my campaign choices.

How many turns have others played and do you think it a better challenge than previous TW games?

Cheers,

Mick. smile

Last edited by 3instein; 04/09/15 07:40 AM.

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4103585 - 04/09/15 11:07 AM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Attila is most definitely a tougher game compared to Rome 2 in every aspect.

Campaigns I've finished so far,

Eastern Roman Empire - Very tough challenge but also lots of fun and lots of combat!

Saxons - Quite easy to win as them since all of the other Germanic tribes liked me.

Huns - Tough challenge mostly due to how the economics work with nomadic factions. Lots of fun decimating enemy armies with my elite Hunnic horsemen though!

Geats - This is my current campaign and I'm finding it to be too easy for the same reasons I found the Saxon campaign easy.

Western Roman Empire - I tried playing this campaign twice but I couldn't manage to get very far. Creative Assembly ain't kidding when they say this campaign is "legendary" difficulty.

#4110123 - 04/22/15 01:56 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In case anyone is interested, Attila is on sale right now on Steam. 25% off.

#4110399 - 04/22/15 11:50 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Picked it up last night, on sale, and took a look today. Played through some of the tutorial/prologue. Seems interesting, and I look forward to giving it a more in depth look when I have more time. Not sure why the graphics are so much more demanding in this title...I went from being able to run Rome II at max to running Attila on whatever the mid-level setting is called. Curious.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4110578 - 04/23/15 01:26 PM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: VMIalpha454
Picked it up last night, on sale, and took a look today. Played through some of the tutorial/prologue. Seems interesting, and I look forward to giving it a more in depth look when I have more time. Not sure why the graphics are so much more demanding in this title...I went from being able to run Rome II at max to running Attila on whatever the mid-level setting is called. Curious.

The first patch made some significant improvements with frame rate performance and the follow up patches will improve it even further. With that having been said, Attila does look significantly better than Rome 2.

#4113621 - 04/30/15 09:51 AM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Attila is on offer at CDKeys.com for 13.59 and you can get a further 5% off if you like their Facebook page. I'm in no way affiliated with the company, just use them for cheap digital download deals as they do PC and some console stuff and find them to be a reliable company.

#4113630 - 04/30/15 10:33 AM Re: Total War: Attila? [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That's a great price indeed. I wholeheartedly recommend the game.

Right now I'm restoring the Western Roman Empire to its former glory. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.