Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4087044 - 03/03/15 06:59 PM CMBS Grand PvP Campaign  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

I posted this over on the CMBS forums and thought I might post it here as well in case some of you guys don't visit over there.

I was wondering if there would be any interest from the CMBS community in setting up a large PvP campaign. I have helped run/participated in projects like this in many different tabletop wargames over the past 20+ years. Applying CMBS would not be a problem as it is very similar to many tabletop games.

Below is just a brief outline explaining rules/setup etc.

Abstract:
This project will be created to make a free flowing PvP Combat Mission: Black Sea Campaign based on both creating an element of strategy to the base tactical game rules. Also creating a form of narrative within the game, allowing for army creation, and design for players who wish to build upon their own army within their faction. This addition will create a form of imaginative play which will see players develop their armies to a new level.

Aims and Objectives:
· To create a base rule system for a grand strategic game play option.
· Player progression with both armies units inside, as well as characters with in the game.
· Narrative creation for the players, allowing them to create their own back story within the game.

Objectives:
· To create a fun gaming experience for the players.
· To allow players to tailor a narrative to their characters and army.
· To allow expansion and a new mind set in gaming instead of playing normal PvP
· To give the player a personal experience and a sense that victory creates progress within the game, as opposed to the self-contained battlefields of normal PvP games.

Campaign:
Being that of the localized war zone within the Ukraine, 2 teams of players will be pitted against each other on a single contained AO (Area of Operations). This allows for gaming interactions between 2-10 players as a base. 1 real time week = 1 Campaign turn. Players would have a 2 week time limit (subject to change depending on player feedback before the campaign starts) to complete their battles in CMBS. Both Victory/Defeat screen caps must be submitted to the Adjudicator. The Adjudicator would be responsible for creating the AO map. (see example screenshot below)

Kriegspiel:
An aspect for this campaign creation will be taken from the German military war game Kriegspiel. This will be that of players having the ability to fight on individual sides, but also by having an adjudicator(s) to watch them when playing the games. This will be done to upkeep the sporting nature of the hobby. The Adjudicator(s) will be responsible for the following actions, much like a Campaign manager or Dungeon Manager within role play games.

These actions include:
· Assigning narrative content to the players.
· Assigning mission objectives to the players.
· Development and design of the world the players are battling on.
· To assure the players that the lists are of the correct points value.
· To act as an independent adjudicator for rule disputes.
· To insure the community is having fun.

Obviously other details like total points cost per side, setup, team objectives would need to be addressed but it would not be that hard to do so.

Example Campaign Map

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 03/03/15 07:00 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4087097 - 03/03/15 07:43 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
I would be very interested in taking part in something like this definitely.

#4087111 - 03/03/15 07:58 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Me too... I can't do all that detail stuff, but give me a PvP match and I'm in.

#4087137 - 03/03/15 08:37 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

I assume you both are registered users over on the Battlefront forums? Do you guys use the same names as you do here?

If so please go ahead and post that you are in on this thread:
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118661-multi-player-grand-campaign/

With both of you signed on we now have a total of 6 players.

#4087147 - 03/03/15 08:51 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Done smile

#4087359 - 03/04/15 06:33 AM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Rambler Offline
Rambler  Offline

Houston, TX
Looks cool!

Originally Posted By: xIGuNDoCIx
Campaign:
Being that of the localized war zone within the Ukraine, 2 teams of players will be pitted against each other on a single contained AO (Area of Operations). This allows for gaming interactions between 2-10 players as a base. 1 real time week = 1 Campaign turn. Players would have a 2 week time limit (subject to change depending on player feedback before the campaign starts) to complete their battles in CMBS. Both Victory/Defeat screen caps must be submitted to the Adjudicator. The Adjudicator would be responsible for creating the AO map. (see example screenshot below)

I can see you're a glass half full kind of guy biggrin. We run these types of campaigns regularly at The Few Good Men (we have four or five of these in progress right now). I can tell you from experience that that time limit is extremely aggressive. We usually average around 1-2 months (sometimes longer) or so for campaign turns in the Operation Overlord Campaign (Which is still going after three years now. I was involved in it for two), and this is from dedicated club members. You have to keep in mind that some of the players could be from opposite ends of the world only allowing for one turn a day. This turn rate (one a day) is what we use to estimate how long the battles should be. If you have 60 min battles, I would budget 60 days for a campaign turn, 45 days for a 45 min battle, etc. I think you'll find this to be a much more realistic approach to determining deadlines. If you're running this real-time only, then a two week time frame is adequate to coordinate and execute a game between opponents. Just my .02 smile.

#4087446 - 03/04/15 01:07 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: Rambler]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rambler
Looks cool!

Originally Posted By: xIGuNDoCIx
Campaign:

I can see you're a glass half full kind of guy biggrin. We run these types of campaigns regularly at The Few Good Men (we have four or five of these in progress right now). I can tell you from experience that that time limit is extremely aggressive. We usually average around 1-2 months (sometimes longer) or so for campaign turns in the Operation Overlord Campaign (Which is still going after three years now. I was involved in it for two), and this is from dedicated club members. You have to keep in mind that some of the players could be from opposite ends of the world only allowing for one turn a day. This turn rate (one a day) is what we use to estimate how long the battles should be. If you have 60 min battles, I would budget 60 days for a campaign turn, 45 days for a 45 min battle, etc. I think you'll find this to be a much more realistic approach to determining deadlines. If you're running this real-time only, then a two week time frame is adequate to coordinate and execute a game between opponents. Just my .02 smile.

Thanks for the heads up and info from your experiences. Some of the guys on the Battlefront forums directed me over to "The Few Good Men" site because they knew of/participated in a similar campaign over there. We have been talking it over and I think the general consensus is that we are going to keep it small and only run 30-45 min games with a 2 week campaign turn. Battles will be reinforced companies sized engagements which most seem to think is the sweet spot for this kind of venture. Another idea that has been suggested is that while each side has a core staff on hand to play most games, we could open up slots to the general public and they could fill in and play the battles as needed. that way you always have a player base to fill any gaps due to other players not being able to complete their engagement. (think of it as battlefield Promotions/Demotions) Obviously the goal would be to keep all who sign on the first week to remain until the end but we all know that inevitably that won't happen. So in the spirit of narrative we can replace them and call it a "Change of Command" or "Unit Rotation" ie Col Gundoc and B Company 2/2 Inf are going back to the US and Col Rambler and A Company 1/73ABN have arrived in theater to take their place. Keep the same equipment but change the story to fit the events.

#4096893 - 03/25/15 05:44 PM Re: CMBS Grand PvP Campaign [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

****Breaking News****

BRB News Network

Russia reinforced what Western and Ukrainian officials described as yet another invasion on Wednesday [April 7th 2018], sending armored troops across the Crimean border as it expanded the conflict to a new section of Ukrainian territory. The latest incursion, which Ukraine’s military said included multiple companies of Russian Federation units to include Armor, Mechanized Infantry, Artillery, and Russian Air Force support, was at least the third movement of troops and weapons from Russia across the southeastern part of the Crimean border this week. NATO has replied in kind to this new threat by re-deploying a Task Force compromised of several companies of US/UKR Armor , Mechanized Infantry, Mobile Artillery, and NATO led air assets.

The US administration, “has asserted over the past week that the Russians had moved artillery, air-defense systems and armor to capture the bridges spanning the Dnieper River in Kherson Ukraine. The Russian aim, one Western official said, “may possibly be to seize an outlet to the sea in the event that Russia tries again to establish a separatist enclave in eastern Ukraine.” ‘These incursions indicate a Russian-directed offensive is likely underway’, stated Willis O’Brien, the State Department spokesman . At the department’s daily briefing in Washington, Mr. O’Brien also criticized what he called the Russian government’s ‘unwillingness to tell the truth’ that its military had yet again sent soldiers as deep as 30 miles inside Ukraine territory.”

According to the Western press, this shows that the November 7th 2017 ceasefire agreement, signed by NATO, the Ukrainian government and the Russian Federation as the West breathed a collective sigh of relief, is now "collapsing." Since its signing, the accord has been "battered," "doubtful," "strained," "shaky," and "crumbling." Two days ago, Washington told Moscow to obey the truce. Today, Moscow told Washington to do the same. Consider this April 3rd 2018 headline, from the World Financial Times: "Heaviest Shelling Since Truce Renews Fears of Another Ukraine War." All of this implies that the ceasefire never existed in the first place.

The world patiently waits as yet another clash between NATO and the Russian Federation looms on the horizon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK CM community the back-story has been laid, armies have been chosen and orders have been given. The two teams are busy finalizing their initial deployments as you are reading this news wire. This is shaping up to be a big conflict as I have been privy to both sides forces. Believe me when I say that both teams are well organized and primed to lay some hate and discontent upon their enemies! Stay tuned as the campaign for "The Battle of Kherson" will be kicking off shortly!

Here are the two teams that will be going head to head in "The Battle of Kherson"

NATO Team
Tyrspawn/Krause - General
INinja
Ridethe415
Emccabe
Fivefivesix
Schmoly War
KevB0

Russian Team
Apocal - General
Tigerwulf
Piejoe21
Kraft
Magnum
Marco2Marzo

Link to the Hi-Res 4K campaign map: http://www.mediafire.com/view/wykyp2bvs0dr0qa/Battle_of_Kherson_Camp_Map.png

Link to the community driven campaign rules (v1.4): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tgeyW5dO3VBFTIT2XqpPyWBD37Hx_s---81kJZQ9VgM/edit

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.