Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4087942 - 03/05/15 12:51 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I just worry slightly about combining this effect with a TrackIR which already introduces a fluid and "bobby" effect for me.
Certainly it's cool if I was confined to a hat switch only.
But as long as it's optional no worries!

And was it my playback or were the FR kind of low in that video?

#4087943 - 03/05/15 12:53 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Robert_Wiggins, cockpit view only. No changes for external view.

#4087945 - 03/05/15 12:56 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: busdriver]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted By: busdriver
Creaghorn, with all do respect, I humbly suggest you are comparing apples to oranges. I also have a couple hundred hours in light airplanes...aerobatics in Cessna 150 Aerobat, Citrabria, T-6G, SF260.

But the point remains, options are good. If the effect creates a more enjoyable flight sim experience, then that is for the BEST. AnKor does incredible work for us, he's incredibly talented. His efforts are applauded, and I want there to be NO DOUBT I appreciate his modding skills.

Yeah, I'm was quite sure that it was not really comparable and that were the only things of my own experience which I could use to compare as good as possible. Rather bad choice obviously lol. Definitely apple and oranges. But since you have this RL experience in light AC, aerobatics etc. this knowledge might be of good use for counceling for sure. Glad that there a people out there with this RL sort of experience and not only guesses thumbsup

#4087946 - 03/05/15 01:00 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: DukeIronHand]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
I just worry slightly about combining this effect with a TrackIR which already introduces a fluid and "bobby" effect for me.

Duke, I'm using TrackIR with RoF and IL2:BOS and it produces a nice "feeling of flight" effect.

Slightly off topic, but I've noticed that v2.05 has crisper and cleaner graphics somehow or maybe it's my imagination.

#4087947 - 03/05/15 01:00 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: Wodin]  
nats Offline
nats  Offline

Pocklington UK
Originally Posted By: Wodin
nats..invest in Track IR..then you wont need to worry about head bobbing.

Well personally I prefer that head bobbing to Track IR. I was thinking about it driving on the way to York today. The way you fly (or drive) is you fix your eye on a distant feature. Your eyes arent dancing all over the place with the bumps and forces on the plane (or car). Your view is very still no matter what the vehicle does. I think this is represented far more realistically with that head bobbing video than with TrackIR. I think this is why I prefer Padlocking as well. In a fight a pilot will keep his eyes on his target (glancing back to instruments from time to time) his eyes wont wander all over the sky.

I can appreciate that TrackIR does give you a better sense of surroundings because you can look around quickly, but it terms of actually quality of flight and realism I actually prefer joystick hat, padlock and head bobbing. To me that is practically perfect. I am sure you must be able to configure TrackIR to be more stable, though, I have only used it for a short while (and the free FacetrackNoir one which is obviously limited) but I did find it a bit too wobbly when looking frontwards. I prefer a stiller view when I am flying. Maybe the expensive ones are better.

And with respect I didnt think that affect wa all that much overkill either. In a jet your head will be pretty stationary against a headrest with the collar stiffening and large helmet to resist a lot of the G forces. In a WW1 plane your head will move far more in reaction to violent maneouvers. So I think it seemed fairly realistic.

And you dont want it so subtle that you dont notice it. You can't 'feel' the G forces on your body or feel being upside down with the blood rushing to your head in a simulation, the way you would in real life. So this bobbing feedback is all you have to go on. So it should be slightly overplayed I feel.

So yeah I think it looks great, and look forward to seeing it in the game at some point.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!"

AMD Phenom II X6 (6x2.8Ghz Six Core) 12GB DDR3 RAM Nvidea Ti550 1Gb Graphics Card MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 Joystick Windows 10 64bit

Games that I am playing:
Elite: Dangerous
Making History: The Great War
Strike Fighters II: Europe
Hearts of Iron 3
Fallout 4
Waterloo
#4087953 - 03/05/15 01:13 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

You can adjust the curves for all head movements in TrackIR.
So you can have it much less reactive in the forward view area, than in the sideward and rearward views.

There is a "Precision" command that works as if you stiffen your neck -
the response of TrackIR is reduced to next to none - you are stiffly looking forward (at your target).
Press the "Precision" button again, and you "release your neck" again.

The freedom to look where ever you want is incredible with TrackIR - it puts you in the cockpit.
The stillness of the hat-switch maybe safer - but it is not realistic.
Padlock is cheating IMHO, and gives you too much advantage in a fight.
In real life the enemy pilot could evade and "disappear" out of your sight with clever manoeuvres -
but with Padlock he can't.
But to each his own - after all, these aids are in there - so you can use them of course.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4087957 - 03/05/15 01:16 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
The combination of headmovements and Trackir is the perfect solution. thumbsup

#4087960 - 03/05/15 01:17 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Originally Posted By: nats
In a jet your head will be pretty stationary against a headrest with the collar stiffening and large helmet to resist a lot of the G forces. In a WW1 plane your head will move far more in reaction to violent maneouvers. So I think it seemed fairly realistic.

Respectfully, you are terribly misinformed, and don't really understand what you're saying. I've never heard of collar stiffening, and the only time a fighter pilot would put his helmet against the headrest would be during the Cat Shot off a carrier or preparing to eject. A REAL fighter pilot has his head on a swivel (so to speak)...like TrackIR.

If anybody has any questions, PM me...I'm done with this thread.

#4087963 - 03/05/15 01:18 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
If you prefer a Hat Switch to TrackIR then I have to believe you have never tried one.
As indespensible as a joystick to me.

EDIT: Simultaneous post with busdriver. Easy baby. If you have true knowledge then it is almost a requirement here that you pass it on.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 03/05/15 01:21 PM.
#4087998 - 03/05/15 02:04 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: OldHat

Duke, I'm using TrackIR with RoF and IL2:BOS and it produces a nice "feeling of flight" effect.

Slightly off topic, but I've noticed that v2.05 has crisper and cleaner graphics somehow or maybe it's my imagination.

Cool. Thanks OldHat.
I will certainly keep an open mind about it then.

#4088029 - 03/05/15 02:31 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: DukeIronHand]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia

The video is recorded on Intel i3 low-voltage notebook with a built-in GPU running at 1920*1080. You can't expect much from this config smile

PS: And I was flying with only the keyboard ahoy

#4088040 - 03/05/15 02:49 PM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
thumbsup AnKor

and that wass excellent keyboard flying beercheers

#4088398 - 03/06/15 09:15 AM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
nats Offline
nats  Offline

Pocklington UK
Well another good thing is I have lost my bad stuttering thank goodness. I reinstalled the game with a full install of CFS3 this time and the game doesnt require the original disk to run nor does it stutter every half second like it did before. I did notice very slight stutter when I set my settings on max for my card (about one slight every few seconds) but on reducing these to decent settings the stutters are hardly/not noticable so that is great. I did notice it stutter once when a got over an enemy airfield but I think that's just loading the odd thing in which is relatively acceptable.

I did find it a little strange before when I reduced every graphic setting down to absolute minimum and the stutters seems to be worse than when the graphics settings were higher. That did indicate it wasn't a graphics issue.

Mind you I did also check my computers running programs and found a load of rubbish in there from java, acrobat reader and adobe, purely for updating their software. So I think those being removed will have helped a lot as well. Even Minecraft has been running slowly for the kids recently due to those things.

So nothing stopping me getting into this game properly now. All I have to do now is sell a few D&D/Traveller books, that I dont use, in order to fund getting the expansion and I will be well away.

Last edited by nats; 03/06/15 09:19 AM.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!"

AMD Phenom II X6 (6x2.8Ghz Six Core) 12GB DDR3 RAM Nvidea Ti550 1Gb Graphics Card MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 Joystick Windows 10 64bit

Games that I am playing:
Elite: Dangerous
Making History: The Great War
Strike Fighters II: Europe
Hearts of Iron 3
Fallout 4
Waterloo
#4088406 - 03/06/15 09:28 AM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The headbobbing will be a great aid to the feeling of inertia etc, and as AnKor says it can be set to be tailored some to personal preferences, then all is good smile

Great Nats glad you got some improvements, like many good sims or games you have to spend some time getting it sweet then you are off..

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4088423 - 03/06/15 10:53 AM Re: Feelings after first few flights [Re: nats]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
AnKor, you never cease to amaze me. Looking forward to this and all of your other immersion inducing goodies. smile Thanks for all that you do sir.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM