Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
#4377887 - 09/05/17 08:21 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: trindade]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted by trindade
Youtube top gun clip

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4377905 - 09/05/17 11:24 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
Originally Posted by trindade
Youtube top gun clip

biggrin

#4377922 - 09/05/17 01:54 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK

ink

"I want some butts!!"

- Ice
#4378865 - 09/10/17 06:25 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: heat2151]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by heat2151
Hello All,

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The latest update on the DCS F-14 comes in the way of an outstanding first hand report from "Mudspike". They regularly provide excellent insider feedback reviews on most of our favorite flight simulations, and this time they did not disappoint. Once again great stuff guy's and thanks.

http://www.mudspike.com/heatblur-f-14ab-flight-model-insiders-report/

http://www.mudspike.com/in-anticipation-of-the-dcsf-14-tomcat/

Heat2151
USN Retired'08 salute
"Mr, We could use a man like, Ronald Reagan again, those where the days"

Thanks for these - a great read.

On a side note - t's a pity SimHQ no longer produces articles like these anymore. They used to have great article from time to time.

Nate

#4378886 - 09/10/17 09:18 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

yeah, the SimHQ tongue probably isnt as long as the mudpike one
Or maybe gushing praise isn't what SimHQ does ?

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 09/11/17 10:30 AM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4378894 - 09/10/17 10:25 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
yeah, the SimHQ tongue probably isnt as long as the mudpike one
Or myabe gushing praise isn't what simhq does ?

I suppose it begs the question what does it do these days?

Nate

#4378937 - 09/11/17 10:31 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline

I dunno , maybe contact the people who run it and ask them ?

#4379080 - 09/12/17 03:41 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Hello All,

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Update from our friends at Heatblur Simulations. It's RIO Time baby.

"One of the most difficult parts of developing the F-14 is developing your AI RIO companion- JESTER AI. For Jester, we want to make sure that the AI feels as lifelike as possible.
We have begun work on the AI’s “Human” behaviour model, which will simulate the RIOs current task, visual focus and detection abilities.
JESTER will move his head to look at exactly where the switch/indicator being manipulated or used is in the cockpit, and thus will not be able to scan the sky at the same time. Thus the RIO will have significant difficulties with visual detection when under heavy radar workload, as his head is buried in the DDD and TID screens.
The RIO has a focused viewing cone of roughly 30 degrees, and a peripheral vision field of roughly 100-130 degrees. Inside the focused viewing cone, the RIO will more quickly detect targets, while detection range and speed is significantly reduced in the peripheral vision. We also account for the sun, the horizon and line of sight (JESTER will not see through mountains or clouds). Thus, the RIO might even notice contacts in his peripheral vision while manipulating radar controls, but at a much lower chance than if actively scanning the sky, and thus using his focused viewing field.
Making sure that the RIO is bound by realistic human limitations is in the very foundation of our work, and it is important not only for immersion, but also to maintain appropriate multiplayer balance.
Below are three screenshots showing the system in action!
In the first image; Jester is looking straight ahead and has seen both the Carrier and the aircraft in the distance (yellow markers denote detected units).
In the second, he is looking down into the cockpit and manipulating one of the backseat controls.
In the third, he's looking at the locked targets, the dropped flares and has also seen one of the fired missiles. Note that the second missiles has not yet been seen by the RIO."

All seriousness aside this is truly amazing work to ingratiate a critical component of a RIO into the overall immersion factor. As they say it takes two to be a strong part of the team. Funny thing about all the squadron RIO's, I met when I was active duty used to call the pilots nose gunner's and the"GITB's" where the brains of the operation. biggrin

On the subject of RIO;s, I just finished reading a great one by: Dave 'Bio' Baranek, It wasn't just about his collaboration during the filming of top gun but his active fleet time as well to give real perspective: https://www.amazon.com/Topgun-Days-...oding=UTF8&qid=1505184179&sr=1-1

Another: https://www.amazon.com/Before-Topgu...mp;psc=1&refRID=JSQPT49XQPZFB8XE112B

Now we cant have a decent conversation regarding RIO's without or all time favorite and remember theirs two 'O's in Goose.

"Talk to me goose"

Heat2151
USN Retired'08 salute
"Mr, We could use a man like, Ronald Reagan again, those where the day

Attached Files rio1.jpgrio2.jpgrio3.jpg
Last edited by heat2151; 09/12/17 04:47 AM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#4379146 - 09/12/17 01:23 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

While this RIO looks cool, I wonder how useful it would really be? For instance, flying DCS A10C years ago and with an AI wingman, the AI can spot tank targets from a good distance away... so that's a good thing... but it can't really help me get eyes on targets... which made his target calls next to useless.

I'm also calling it now -- DCS Goose RIO DLC! biggrin
I'm also ashamed to say that I will probably pay good money just to say "Talk to me Goose!" in the sim. dizzy Don't judge me, people. wink

- Ice
#4379151 - 09/12/17 01:54 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: - Ice]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted by - Ice
While this RIO looks cool, I wonder how useful it would really be? For instance, flying DCS A10C years ago and with an AI wingman, the AI can spot tank targets from a good distance away... so that's a good thing... but it can't really help me get eyes on targets... which made his target calls next to useless.

I'm giving Heatblur the benefit of the doubt on this. They've put innovations into their modules (I'm including the MiG-21 radar in this) that have gone beyond standard DCS functionality. This includes a full ray-tracing ground radar for the Viggen, and now they're doing an AI that is more of an integrated crew member than a complementary wingman. I agree with your assessment of the A-10 wingman target spotting, but would this feature be more useful if the wingman actually created a SPI and sent it over datalink? We're going to have Jester managing the radar and likely creating a SA picture with the rest of the flight via Link 4. It may not happen day 1, but I wouldn't expect less from Heatblur.

I'm also calling it now -- DCS Goose RIO DLC! biggrin
I'm also ashamed to say that I will probably pay good money just to say "Talk to me Goose!" in the sim. dizzy Don't judge me, people. wink

Yeah, you're supposed to say "Talk to me Goose" and "Yee Haw, Jester's dead!", not the other way around. frown

and the obligatory
tomcat

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4379202 - 09/12/17 03:53 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I hope you're right there HomeFries! They have set the bar high if they decided to call this one "Jester" smile

I've got good intel stating that the planned DCS Goose RIO DLC will only be US$5, the only downside is that it is a single-use DLC and will "expire" as soon as you trigger the ejection seats..... You can, however, purchase another DCS Goose RIO DLC when your previous DLC no longer works.

- Ice
#4379203 - 09/12/17 03:55 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: - Ice]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I've got good intel stating that the planned DCS Goose RIO DLC will only be US$5, the only downside is that it is a single-use DLC and will "expire" as soon as you trigger the ejection seats..... You can, however, purchase another DCS Goose RIO DLC when your previous DLC no longer works.

At the rate I'll be ejecting from the A model, I'll only buy Goose DLC if he can play volleyball, then just keep him on the beach.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4379230 - 09/12/17 05:20 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Nice!!

link

btw, who the hell plays volleyball with his watch on?

- Ice
#4390451 - 11/19/17 03:09 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
update

ED's Forum

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4390479 - 11/19/17 06:36 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
It is my humble opinion, that DCS should have stayed with jets. I understand the desire to stretch your wings, see what else your capable of but they know jets. Maybe this would be out already if not for sidestepping over to WW2. Find your niche and stick with it. I've felt that the lack of direction has hurt the brand.
Just my opinion, of course. This one is going to sell well. Whole lotta Tomcat fans out there.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4390483 - 11/19/17 06:47 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Pooch]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by Pooch
It is my humble opinion, that DCS should have stayed with jets. I understand the desire to stretch your wings, see what else your capable of but they know jets. Maybe this would be out already if not for sidestepping over to WW2. Find your niche and stick with it. I've felt that the lack of direction has hurt the brand.
Just my opinion, of course. This one is going to sell well. Whole lotta Tomcat fans out there.

It will still sell well but not as well as it could have.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4390493 - 11/19/17 07:26 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Why, because of the way that people feel about DCS, now? Maybe something like this can save their asses. I mean, they have done some nice stuff. I do love my F-86. Would definately like a Korea terrain to operate over, though. Should've gone in that direction instead of Normandy. They'd be selling more Sabres and MiGs. Imagine taking off from Kimpo and heading north for the Yalu. Damn. But, there's that lack of direction, again.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#4390501 - 11/19/17 08:03 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I have to agree with you Pooch. ED should leave WW2 to 1CGS (and hopefully OBD with WOTR).

When it comes to the Korean era what do we have? Nothing springs to mind with the complexity of DCS.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4390520 - 11/20/17 01:07 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Pooch]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by Pooch
Why, because of the way that people feel about DCS, now?

Of course. Release a finished module and maybe. Maybe is depending on the core engine. We still have 2 different installs. Will the finished released module have to be changed when ED change the core engine? There are far too many variables with DCS for me to part with any money. Buying a beta in any other platform i have no problem with. DCS no.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4390523 - 11/20/17 01:48 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well, for me the problem is buying a single airplane that costs as much or more than an entire sim. I doubt that I'm buying any more DCS stuff. The F-86 was my last one. I HAD to have that jet. But I do think that the F-14 will be a good seller for them. Whenever it comes out. I was going to add that I might purchase a Korean War terrain if they ever did one, but I know it's not gonna happen so it doesn't matter.

Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.