Hop To
#4084013 - 02/26/15 12:03 AM Working with stupid  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Sadly, you can't fix stupid.

It's hard enough working with the pressures that are on us right now (I work as a nurse in the NHS), but to be given more #%&*$# that doesn't even make sense just makes me want to rage-quit right now.

First new rule - we are no longer allowed "hot drinks" in the workplace aside from in the coffee room. No biggie as I'm not a coffee/tea person anyway. I'll just bring my bottle of juice with me. Supervisor spots it and tells me off in a loud voice, in front of other patients and co-workers, that I'd better put my drink away in my locker as we're only allowed water unless in the coffee room. Apparently, juice is classified as "hot drink." Okay. Conveniently, our drinking fountain (which has a filter installed) has been broken for almost a month now. The water from the cold tap is murky. Yeah, I'd love to drink that....

Second new rule - nurses are expected to put their own pillowcases on pillows. I come in to take a trolley for my next patient and the trolley has sheets on it and a blanket ready, but no pillows. What's up with that, I ask. Apparently, they no longer put pillowcases on pillows because people come in and take them away..... yes, to use on patients!! Not putting pillowcases on pillows doesn't stop us from taking them, it's just making our lives unnecessarily harder. Which doesn't really go down well when we go in and find your useless butt just sat down. I actually was stupid enough to ask why people don't put pillowcases on pillows anymore, and the reply was "you got hands."

I really wanted to banghead right then and there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above doing that work, but when I barely have time to catch my breath and get this sort of attitude, well, it's simply beyond me....

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4084016 - 02/26/15 12:06 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Yep i work with some real winners too. Always looking for new opportunities.

#4084053 - 02/26/15 01:50 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
The world is imploding with stupidity. Just about every facet of life in the work
environment is getting this way. The rules and regulations that change on a daily
basis to butter up the Management make everyone life miserable to work around. Could even
get worse.

Try a retail a store for the worst of it. Wife and son both work at Walmart. The stories
they come home with every night are the stuff that make Dumb & Dumber look smart. Between
stupid customers and even stupider management.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4084056 - 02/26/15 02:10 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I love coming back from 2 weeks vacation, having my supervisor welcome me back, then getting yelled at for not completing an assignment I was apparently given a few days prior...

#4084135 - 02/26/15 09:39 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Sadly, you can't fix stupid.

It's hard enough working with the pressures that are on us right now (I work as a nurse in the NHS), but to be given more #%&*$# that doesn't even make sense just makes me want to rage-quit right now.

First new rule - we are no longer allowed "hot drinks" in the workplace aside from in the coffee room. No biggie as I'm not a coffee/tea person anyway. I'll just bring my bottle of juice with me. Supervisor spots it and tells me off in a loud voice, in front of other patients and co-workers, that I'd better put my drink away in my locker as we're only allowed water unless in the coffee room. Apparently, juice is classified as "hot drink." Okay. Conveniently, our drinking fountain (which has a filter installed) has been broken for almost a month now. The water from the cold tap is murky. Yeah, I'd love to drink that....

Second new rule - nurses are expected to put their own pillowcases on pillows. I come in to take a trolley for my next patient and the trolley has sheets on it and a blanket ready, but no pillows. What's up with that, I ask. Apparently, they no longer put pillowcases on pillows because people come in and take them away..... yes, to use on patients!! Not putting pillowcases on pillows doesn't stop us from taking them, it's just making our lives unnecessarily harder. Which doesn't really go down well when we go in and find your useless butt just sat down. I actually was stupid enough to ask why people don't put pillowcases on pillows anymore, and the reply was "you got hands."

I really wanted to banghead right then and there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above doing that work, but when I barely have time to catch my breath and get this sort of attitude, well, it's simply beyond me....

You work in a government department, what the F**k do you expect??!
Intelligence? HAHAHAHAHA!
If the highest level of management can't organise a pissup in brewery...
(As you can tell I have the highest respect for those eton/oxford educated idiots we call "politicians". All they care about is being elected in 3 months times.)

I feel your pain, working for those numpties, the NHS is worse than a Warzone at the moment.
A serious shakeup is needed, management all sound like they're Fat, Dumb, & Happy.
Maybe you should go work in the private sector?
I hear Austrailia are gagging for nurses.

Maybe an exodus of nurses will wake them up?
I doubt it though.

Last edited by Comrade_Hedgehog; 02/26/15 09:43 AM.

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4084140 - 02/26/15 10:07 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Could be worse Ice; you could be working for Staffordshire Moorlands! smile
I read your posts with interest as no.2 daughter has an interview next week for a post-graduate nursing degree at Guy's London.

#4084389 - 02/26/15 06:27 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I think this is how the actual interview process goes for looking for managers:

Quote:
Interviewer: Okay, the situation is that you've got a patient in critical condition in one of your theatres and the blood bank is delayed in getting the proper blood processed and sent up. In recovery, they're getting overwhelmed as the wards aren't coming for their patients quick enough. At the same time, one of the doctors is complaining about a bit of kit that he wants for the next operation; he's told the sister-in-charge that he needed it when he spoke to her last week but it's not there now. What do you do?

Applicant for Manager position: Tuesday.

Interviewer: Perfect answer! You're hired!

The sad part here is that people on the front lines actually want to do some work, save lives, and earn an honest day's pay.... but those "higher ups" seem to do all they can to get in the way.

BD, I'm grateful I don't work there but to be honest, if every NHS hospital was audited properly now, I would bet that only a handful of them would actually survive that process. We've cut back on everything except number of patients that come through the door. Imagine travelling 500 miles each month and spending £100 on petrol. All of a sudden, you decide to spend only £80 on petrol but you still want to go 500 miles. And then maybe skip the next scheduled checkup and oil change. That is how (at least) my hospital is run now.

Anyway, good luck with your daughter's interview!! I know there are a few places that are simply a joy to work at --- and that is simply because people pull their weight and the managers get their hands dirty and thus avoid stupid policies.

- Ice
#4084441 - 02/26/15 07:42 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Yeah, but it's got electrolytes!

#4084825 - 02/27/15 01:24 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: U-96]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: U-96
Yeah, but it's got electrolytes!

Petrol?? Maybe that's why you pay more...

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4085684 - 03/01/15 03:32 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
ObvilionLost Offline
ObvilionLost  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
In one of my past workplaces one of the rules was, it was illegal to drink at you workplace, including water. When people complained to manager, he said you need doctors excuse stating that you need to drink water. screwy

Last edited by ObvilionLost; 03/01/15 03:36 AM.
#4085700 - 03/01/15 04:31 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Real stupidity can be of an almost poetic beauty:

A previous boss: "Legend, can you get us software so we can promote, by email, our products to all of the 150,000 contacts in our database? And while you're at it, please get some software so I don't get all this spam in my mailbox."

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4085857 - 03/01/15 04:19 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
miketb Offline
miketb  Offline

Hi Mace,

You have my sympathies mate as I too worked for the NHS, as a Security Officer, for six years before I rage quitted due to the "Rise of the Managers".

I received two Police Commendations dealing with Axe Wielding Lunatics and Staff Assaulting Horrors among a myriad of other problems so I like to think that I was at least competent in what I did but dealing with Managers, some of whom were as dumb as rocks, was too much for me so I left.

Departments that had run efficiently for years suddenly found themselves with two, sometimes three tiers of management where before there was none. Massive increase in cost. Zero increase in efficiency. From what I could see these people were largely concerned with generating emails about their next meeting to discuss how many emails were being sent by their staff. I kid you not.

Case in point: They introduced a smoking policy "manager" with the handsome salary of thirty grand a year. As far as I could see his sole responsibility was to come up with a global email once a month in which it was suggested that perhaps staff might consider that maybe they would think about the long term health benefits of giving up smoking as it might just be a good idea.

In six years I never saw the bloke. Ever. Anywhere.

And of course who is responsible for the budgets in the NHS? Managers.

So when money is tight as it now is and staff and services have to be culled, who are the last to go, if ever? Managers.

Nurses and the medical staff have nothing but my highest praise and admiration for dealing with the every day stuff, without this extra cr@p.

Without Nurses the NHS would grind to a halt within seconds.

Without these managers who manage nothing, apart from themselves, I doubt if anyone would even notice.

Hang on in there mate,

Regards,

Mike.

#4085961 - 03/01/15 08:03 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
miketb Offline
miketb  Offline

Sorry for above - just noticed I put Mace instead of Ice. Apologies to both for the mix-up.

Blame it on old age and too much beer at lunch.

Hang on in there Ice.

Mike

#4086223 - 03/02/15 11:52 AM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks Mike. I love my work, I really do. I work with lots of awesome people and we always put patient safety AND satisfaction first. Unfortunately, we have to deal with loads of unnecessary crap as well.

Case in point: I decided to try and stir up the waters a bit and complained to the Bullying and Harassment officer regarding the above issues. I got called into the boss's office and explained my complaint. Then she talked to other people concerned. Then I got called in again for a chat with the Band 6 (supervisor I mentioned in the first post) and the Band 7 (boss). First thing I got from the Band 6 was that she disagrees that she was rude to me and that she was well within her rights to tell me off. The fact that the water fountain is broken was not considered. The fact that I was in a busy list with no break time was not considered. The fact that the juice bottle was not contributing to any of the factors why the "no hot drinks" rule was conceived was not considered.

Then came the next banghead moments. Apparently, I should not be complaining as I am also rude to a few Band 6s and other staff. Note that I've never been called into office for any such complaints, nor have I been pulled aside to bring this to my attention prior to that day. I do acknowledge I've banged heads with 2 other Band 6s but this was over silly policies as well..... but apparently, I've been rude to more than just the two Band 6s. I also had to defend myself for why I snapped over the pillowcase incident, and now my ability to do my work is in question. Because of a pillowcase. I spent 90% of the time in the office defending myself because I made a complaint.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a surprise that the meeting went that way. I guess I was just optimistic, thinking things would change, thinking things would be handled politely and professionally. I guess I still am naive in some ways.

I guess I should explain that in my work, I have 4 Band 6s over me and one of them was the one I argued with over some policy but she was very mature and professional and we've sorted that issue out and it is a pleasure to work with her. The other Band 6 was the "supervisor" that was with me in the office. Band 6 #3 never does any work and #4 I get along with very well. The other team has I-don't-know-how-many Band 6s but since they are the "other team," my interaction with them is minimal, often just passing along messages or some sort. One of those Band 6s has decided to make it her business one day to tell me off for having my phone with me and so we got into a colorful discussion over policy.... that was the most interaction I've ever had with a "other team" Band 6, but apparently, I am rude to a few more of them. How convenient that those indviduals remain nameless, right? No way for me to confirm such allegations.

I do work with a lot of Band 5s and I've had a word with a few of them asking if I've been rude to them or if they've heard of complaints of me being rude to other Band 5s. I know my "brain-to-mouth" filter does not work sometimes and a few things slip through, I know my humor sometimes does not match common courtesy, and so forth. The answer I got was "not at all." I have never been rude to them nor have they heard of any complaints of my rudeness. I said I know I pick on a few people, tease them mercilessly and such, and I know sometimes it can get annoying for some. They said they know it was just me being me and they viewed it as "terms of endearment" and they do not mind it because when it comes down to it, I know the job, I do the job, and I help them with the job.

Coming from people who are on the floor, on the "front line," I guess that's vindication enough for me. The Band 6s who complain about me (I don't even know what about) not grovelling and worshipping them adequately can go #%&*$# off, I guess. biggrin

Now the next question is.... do I stir up the hornet's nest a bit more? Shake up the status quo as much as I can?

- Ice
#4086230 - 03/02/15 12:01 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Thanks Mike. I love my work, I really do. I work with lots of awesome people and we always put patient safety AND satisfaction first. Unfortunately, we have to deal with loads of unnecessary crap as well.

Case in point: I decided to try and stir up the waters a bit and complained to the Bullying and Harassment officer regarding the above issues. I got called into the boss's office and explained my complaint. Then she talked to other people concerned. Then I got called in again for a chat with the Band 6 (supervisor I mentioned in the first post) and the Band 7 (boss). First thing I got from the Band 6 was that she disagrees that she was rude to me and that she was well within her rights to tell me off. The fact that the water fountain is broken was not considered. The fact that I was in a busy list with no break time was not considered. The fact that the juice bottle was not contributing to any of the factors why the "no hot drinks" rule was conceived was not considered.

Then came the next banghead moments. Apparently, I should not be complaining as I am also rude to a few Band 6s and other staff. Note that I've never been called into office for any such complaints, nor have I been pulled aside to bring this to my attention prior to that day. I do acknowledge I've banged heads with 2 other Band 6s but this was over silly policies as well..... but apparently, I've been rude to more than just the two Band 6s. I also had to defend myself for why I snapped over the pillowcase incident, and now my ability to do my work is in question. Because of a pillowcase. I spent 90% of the time in the office defending myself because I made a complaint.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a surprise that the meeting went that way. I guess I was just optimistic, thinking things would change, thinking things would be handled politely and professionally. I guess I still am naive in some ways.

I guess I should explain that in my work, I have 4 Band 6s over me and one of them was the one I argued with over some policy but she was very mature and professional and we've sorted that issue out and it is a pleasure to work with her. The other Band 6 was the "supervisor" that was with me in the office. Band 6 #3 never does any work and #4 I get along with very well. The other team has I-don't-know-how-many Band 6s but since they are the "other team," my interaction with them is minimal, often just passing along messages or some sort. One of those Band 6s has decided to make it her business one day to tell me off for having my phone with me and so we got into a colorful discussion over policy.... that was the most interaction I've ever had with a "other team" Band 6, but apparently, I am rude to a few more of them. How convenient that those indviduals remain nameless, right? No way for me to confirm such allegations.

I do work with a lot of Band 5s and I've had a word with a few of them asking if I've been rude to them or if they've heard of complaints of me being rude to other Band 5s. I know my "brain-to-mouth" filter does not work sometimes and a few things slip through, I know my humor sometimes does not match common courtesy, and so forth. The answer I got was "not at all." I have never been rude to them nor have they heard of any complaints of my rudeness. I said I know I pick on a few people, tease them mercilessly and such, and I know sometimes it can get annoying for some. They said they know it was just me being me and they viewed it as "terms of endearment" and they do not mind it because when it comes down to it, I know the job, I do the job, and I help them with the job.

Coming from people who are on the floor, on the "front line," I guess that's vindication enough for me. The Band 6s who complain about me (I don't even know what about) not grovelling and worshipping them adequately can go #%&*$# off, I guess. biggrin

Now the next question is.... do I stir up the hornet's nest a bit more? Shake up the status quo as much as I can?

Next time you're in "one of those" meetings, supplicate the "Band 6" by Bowing so low your nose touches the floor as you exit the room. smile
(Maybe whisper a "Yes, My master" as you do so.)

winkngrin

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4086262 - 03/02/15 02:27 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Toe the line Ice or get the toe. wink

If you get the toe, you will get the reputation as a trouble maker.

I know, banghead

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4086263 - 03/02/15 02:28 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I get the "toe the line" part but "get the toe"??

- Ice
#4086284 - 03/02/15 03:01 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
miketb Offline
miketb  Offline

Ice,

I well remember the band 6 mafia at the hospital where I worked and the banging of heads at different meetings I had with them.

They really, really hate someone who not only knows what they are talking about but is also prepared to stand up and say so. I think their super sensitivity to any criticism is down to the fact that they know their jobs aren't worth a flying f.... and are desperate to preserve their petty little empires at all costs.

If this includes artful "interpretations" of facts and conversations and trampling on lesser beings sensibilities, then so be it.

In many ways the NHS is very similar to the military where you have a strict hierarchy and everyone, from the cleaners to the Chief Exec should know their place.

And just like in the military if you raise your head above the parapet and take on authority you then become a marked man. Unless you are prepared to put up with the consequences this is usually not a good thing.

As a Security Officer I often saw this and the aftermath.

So for what it's worth mate my take is still the same - just hang on in there. Because things will change, as nothing ever stays the same. Managers come and go, departments expand or contract, stuff happens.

But like the military the NHS is a big organization so is full of opportunities if you feel you can't stand it any more. Try and turn this situation to your own advantage. Easier said than done but good people are always on the look out for other good people.

Best of luck mate,

Regards,

Mike

#4086286 - 03/02/15 03:06 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
If you are kicked what is the first part of the foot that makes contact?

What covers the toe?

The boot.

toe = boot = employment terminated

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4086324 - 03/02/15 04:02 PM Re: Working with stupid [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Haha... thankfully, it'll take more than that for my employment to be terminated. At least I think/hope so!!

Mike, that is indeed true. There are little cliques and those who are in can do pretty much whatever they please. Those who aren't end up pulling all the dead weight. Unfortunately, I chose not to be in one but also chose not to compromise the quality of my work. I don't mind "people knowing their place," but dammit, if you're in command, you better know what you're doing and what you're talking about. Oh, and if you're not in the clique, "know your place," but if you ARE in, then it is an understanding, supportive environment! Haha!

I've even caught flak for asking some of our support workers to transfer patients to wards --- nevermind that that role is in their job description, they just didn't want to be told to do some work. I said I didn't mind if the hospital was happy to pay be a Band 5's wage for doing a Band 2's job. That bit of "common sense" didn't go down too well either.

I didn't know stupidity was infectious?! And apparently, for some people, the illness is also metastasizing into lazyness and entitlement as well.

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.