Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4083209 - 02/24/15 03:46 PM New version is out...  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
FME and dserver are now accessible...
No guide on how to use the mission editor unfortunately...
Nevermind, I'm sure we will find out what the editor can do for the game smile

#4083218 - 02/24/15 04:11 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

Last edited by Sokol1; 02/24/15 04:29 PM.
#4083220 - 02/24/15 04:16 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Sounds like it is pretty much the same as the ROF editor, just download the manual for it should at least be a good start for those not familiar with it.

Edit: I am curious if this release allows missions to be strung together in a campaign?

Last edited by dburne; 02/24/15 04:19 PM.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4083232 - 02/24/15 04:32 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: dburne]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: dburne

Edit: I am curious if this release allows missions to be strung together in a campaign?

Think this is more game engine related than Mission Editor feature.
In others il-2 just need create a .ini with missions list and the game manages.

#4083245 - 02/24/15 04:55 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
So how does the oxygen system work,is it automatic?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4083250 - 02/24/15 05:04 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Yes, is automatic, start consume around 3000 m.
But after ~2 hours (2x) the La5 oxygen pressures indicators goes to 0 - above 9000m and no adverse effect is noticed...

#4083264 - 02/24/15 05:37 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Well I know absolutely nothing about the ROF ME, just took a quick glance at the ME for BOS , I see at least in the drop down box for mission type there is a " Campaign " selection, so hopefully that ability does exist.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4083265 - 02/24/15 05:40 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: dburne]  
AbortedMan Offline
AbortedMan  Offline

Originally Posted By: dburne
Sounds like it is pretty much the same as the ROF editor, just download the manual for it should at least be a good start for those not familiar with it.

Yes, it is possible...in multiplayer at least as far as I know.

#4083274 - 02/24/15 05:56 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Ok thanks, hopefully that will be the case for single player as well.

Don

#4083722 - 02/25/15 02:05 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's so like the ROF one it makes you wonder what took them so long.

On the flipside, maybe this IS the one they've had all along and they were working on a more user-friendly one. Question now is whether they'll just leave us with this one and abandon that or if that will still come later.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4083859 - 02/25/15 05:57 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Jason Williams said yesterday this is essentially the RoF ME with RoF elements backed out and some bugs fixed. I invested some time in RoF before BoS was released, trying to make a couple of simple missions and I gave up. I can master mission building in IL2, BoBII, CoD, and DCS so I am no novice, but this one defeated me.

My hopes are with a user friendly GUI like Lupo's simple mission editor which can sit on top of this code, and enable us mere humans to make some missions.

H

[Linked Image]
#4083940 - 02/25/15 08:51 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, the 5 mins I spent on it yesterday felt like the 5 mins I spent with ROF's...it was like looking at my differential calculus textbook from college when I was still in high school.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4083946 - 02/25/15 09:12 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I'm pretty sure the release of the editor is a political desicion and in no way related to a state of finished features.

Probably a Jason forced event despite Loft screaming NO! in 5 different languages back in Moscow and finally walking away in the corridor muttering customers should be slapped with cast iron.

#4083987 - 02/25/15 10:57 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
Desode Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE
Desode  Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE

I suggest we need a Sticky in the BOS section with the Best ROF editor tutorial Vids linked there for the purpose of people learning to use the BOS one.

Desode

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#4083988 - 02/25/15 11:01 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: theOden]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: theOden
I'm pretty sure the release of the editor is a political desicion and in no way related to a state of finished features.

Probably a Jason forced event despite Loft screaming NO! in 5 different languages back in Moscow and finally walking away in the corridor muttering customers should be slapped with cast iron.

I have a feeling Jason probably spent all his collateral he had on the unlocks situation, getting them to reverse it and at least do away with unlocks for the gold members.

So if I was to imagine/speculate, I can see Loft going " Ok so you win partly on the unlocks, I'll show you - we will not implement a mods on mode for BOS as originally planned so there LOL...

Don

#4083999 - 02/25/15 11:40 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Desode]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Desode
I suggest we need a Sticky in the BOS section with the Best ROF editor tutorial Vids linked there for the purpose of people learning to use the BOS one.

Desode

I'd say that if they truly are applicable to BoS, that is a good idea. Feel free to start a thread with such videos, with a thread title that reflects it is for learning the BoS editor. If a few folks appear to find it helpful, I can make it a sticky.

I'd say that as long as it remains a technical discussion on how to use the editor (as opposed to people debating the merits of it, or lack thereof) it should go in the main IL2: Battle of Stalingrad forum. People who wish to debate the merits of it should do that in a thread in the Extended Discussions sub-forum.

#4084144 - 02/26/15 10:31 AM Re: New version is out... [Re: HeinKill]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Jason Williams said yesterday this is essentially the RoF ME with RoF elements backed out and some bugs fixed. I invested some time in RoF before BoS was released, trying to make a couple of simple missions and I gave up. I can master mission building in IL2, BoBII, CoD, and DCS so I am no novice, but this one defeated me.

My hopes are with a user friendly GUI like Lupo's simple mission editor which can sit on top of this code, and enable us mere humans to make some missions.

H

I have been stating this point over and over for several months now whenever I get a chance.
I had the same problems with the RoF editor, could not get my head around it.
The old IL2 had so many missions and campaigns because of it's easy to use FMB... There is nothing like the same amount for RoF, not because it's a lesser and small genre, there were plenty of people who wanted to make campaigns and missions, but just could not use the ME... so, whether this will have a similar effect on BoSBoM I have no idea, but time will tell.

I will give this editor another go, but I'm not sure I will prevail frown

#4084415 - 02/26/15 07:13 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Trooper117

Me too I suspect.

As I said I gave the RoF ME a go while BoS was in beta, trying to learn the ropes. It is very powerful, no doubt.

I could set up simple missions, but getting waypoint options/timing right in complex missions involved a lot of non automated tasks and that killed me. By memory (its been a few months) your first waypoint needed to be manually associated with the aircraft, and then linked to the next waypoint.

You needed separate on-map commands for triggers to eg just to tell the aircraft to take off, and had to link these manually to your aircraft or waypoint as well. You placed various triggers on the map, linked them all up manually and then tested it. Screw up one, and the whole shebang went belly up and it was a bastage to work out where your problem was. EG if you made the waypoint trigger 'sphere' too small, the AI could risk not triggering it, and thus would just circle around but there could be multiple other reasons for that too.

The AI had trouble with larger formations colliding so you could only make small formations (similar problem in BoS) - so you had to associate the same waypoints twice for two flights to make one squadron and if you made too sharp an elbow on your waypoints the formation wiped itself out banging into each other. Or else you had to spend a while manually setting which aircraft should fly where in which formation and then copy paste that formation from mission to mission.

Sure it was all doable, but my gosh it was labour intensive compared to other MEs where a lot of this stuff is automated for dummies like me (as in the Lupson Simple Mission Editor), and the AI handles the flying without banging into itself all the time and you can make formations of 12-36 aircraft in just a few clicks with no manual linking of waypoints and objects and triggers etc etc.

In BOBII I worked with a mission editor that never even made it out of alpha. It would crash constantly and I would have to redo a lot of work when it did, but I swear it was quicker to make missions in that, than in the RoF ME without crashes!

No doubt some of this was inexperience on my part, and there are shortcuts I didn't learn, and some of it has been improved. Might give it a go when I am on holidays next and have a LOT of time on my hands.

But after a few hours I said to myself 'Aha, so this is why there are so few user made missions for Rise of Flight.' Luckily Jason Williams seems to have recognised this (if no one else has) and is actively encouraging community coders to come up with a simplified mission builder that the average joe can use.

H

[Linked Image]
#4085144 - 02/27/15 10:44 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: HeinKill]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Originally Posted By: Trooper117

Me too I suspect.

As I said I gave the RoF ME a go while BoS was in beta, trying to learn the ropes. It is very powerful, no doubt.

I could set up simple missions, but getting waypoint options/timing right in complex missions involved a lot of non automated tasks and that killed me. By memory (its been a few months) your first waypoint needed to be manually associated with the aircraft, and then linked to the next waypoint.

You needed separate on-map commands for triggers to eg just to tell the aircraft to take off, and had to link these manually to your aircraft or waypoint as well. You placed various triggers on the map, linked them all up manually and then tested it. Screw up one, and the whole shebang went belly up and it was a bastage to work out where your problem was. EG if you made the waypoint trigger 'sphere' too small, the AI could risk not triggering it, and thus would just circle around but there could be multiple other reasons for that too.

The AI had trouble with larger formations colliding so you could only make small formations (similar problem in BoS) - so you had to associate the same waypoints twice for two flights to make one squadron and if you made too sharp an elbow on your waypoints the formation wiped itself out banging into each other. Or else you had to spend a while manually setting which aircraft should fly where in which formation and then copy paste that formation from mission to mission.

Sure it was all doable, but my gosh it was labour intensive compared to other MEs where a lot of this stuff is automated for dummies like me (as in the Lupson Simple Mission Editor), and the AI handles the flying without banging into itself all the time and you can make formations of 12-36 aircraft in just a few clicks with no manual linking of waypoints and objects and triggers etc etc.

In BOBII I worked with a mission editor that never even made it out of alpha. It would crash constantly and I would have to redo a lot of work when it did, but I swear it was quicker to make missions in that, than in the RoF ME without crashes!

No doubt some of this was inexperience on my part, and there are shortcuts I didn't learn, and some of it has been improved. Might give it a go when I am on holidays next and have a LOT of time on my hands.

But after a few hours I said to myself 'Aha, so this is why there are so few user made missions for Rise of Flight.' Luckily Jason Williams seems to have recognised this (if no one else has) and is actively encouraging community coders to come up with a simplified mission builder that the average joe can use.

H

I no longer have BOS on my system, so I've been unable to take a close look at the FME. I could easily make some rudimentary missions with IL-2, and COD, but to me the best new feature ever for mission building should be TRIGGERS, which should allow the same mission to play out many different ways. I have not tried the new mission builders TRIGGER feature in COD, but in your experience how hard is it to code TRIGGERS in BOS and COD, and how much detail can either game engine manage? I know I was blown away by the amount of content options available in the COD FMB, and find it hard to believe that the BOS FME would be more complex, usability notwithstanding. I know both sims still need much AI work for TRIGGERS to become all they can be, and hope both COD and BOS someday overcome these issues.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4085607 - 02/28/15 11:22 PM Re: New version is out... [Re: Trooper117]  
eonel Offline
eonel  Offline

Zurich, Switzerland
Campaign mission content is improved with the patch. More activity, intensity & difficulty to the missions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.