Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
How can I buy the classroom version?

It's export-controlled, so we don't sell it to private individuals I'm afraid to say. If you represent an organization, feel free to email me (my forum name here @eSimGames.com)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4083912 - 02/25/15 07:52 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
But you have an office in California!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4083962 - 02/25/15 09:39 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Originally Posted By: xIGuNDoCIx
Gunnyhighway,

You may want to check out BCT Commander from ProSim and LTC Pat Proctor . It's an older title for sure but may be what you are looking for. There is also a DEMO you can try out.

Combatsim.com Review:
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2002/05/bct/

ProSim Product Page:
http://www.prosimco.com/patch.htm#manual

Not half bad, really. How does BCT relate to ATF? They seem to indicate that ATF and AATF are further developments of the BCT engine but they sure changed up the control scheme. AATF only offers buttons, where BCT and ATF still offered right-click and buttons.

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4084037 - 02/26/15 01:02 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
But you have an office in California!

Sure, but that's no longer from where we send out the software. As it happens the software is being exported from Germany under German export control laws these days.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4084044 - 02/26/15 01:30 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Hellfish6]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Hellfish6
Let me describe something I put together in Arma3 and see if it's something that would scratch your itch.

I used the ALiVE (Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment, I think?) mod. Using it, you can automatically populate the entire map with enemy forces (composed of whatever you want them to be - motorized, armored, light infantry, SOF, mix, of platoon, company, battalion size, etc.). IIRC you can even check a box to enable enemy convoys. The friendly AI forces (generated by the mod) and the enemy AI forces fight a battle of control over the entire map over towns, bases, and cities. Bigger towns are more important, and have more enemy defenders.

In the mission I made (in about an hour) I was controlling a mech company team. Two Arma3 Leopard 2A7 (or whatever the game calls them) tanks as my HQ section, then a platoon of Leopards and two platoons of motorized infantry in Pandurs. A company train, with a recovery vehicle, ambulance, ammo truck and fuel truck were also included. I had control over all of them through Arma3's High Command.

It played well. The scenario was to expand a battalion-sized beachhead. I commanded the mech company assigned to the AI-controlled light infantry battalion, so I'd react to any enemy armor encountered and provided direct fire support as needed. Getting a little bored with the slow infantry, I punched deep into the island and took some towns myself.

It was fun, but the lack of fine control over your High Command subordinate platoons could be frustrating - you can basically only give them way points and hope they get there. It works fine 80% of the time, but sometimes you want that fine control - or to tell the infantry to disembark. Usually they only do when they come under fire.

I've also made a company-sized Russian BMD airborne company insurgency (clearing hostile grid squares and looking for intel to generate leads to target enemy munitions caches) mission with the ALiVE mod, so it's very flexible once you know how to use it.

Hellfish6,

Where do you find that mod?

Scratch that I found it.

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 02/26/15 01:49 AM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4084080 - 02/26/15 03:56 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Originally Posted By: Amaroq
If the scenario designer is adept at 'programming' the AI with the various available route conditions, it can get very fluid. But it's a lot of work.

Agreed, and I am not adept at programing, so I have twice the amount of work cut out for me!....

But, I've got to do it! smile

I must repeat some wisdom Teut said to me when I made a similar comment, about something else.

"be carefull looking under the hood. You might not be satisified with just playing"

#4084106 - 02/26/15 07:29 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Could you be more specific?...I am not certain to have understood the analogy Brit44'Aldo'.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4084155 - 02/26/15 11:12 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Could you be more specific?...I am not certain to have understood the analogy Brit44'Aldo'.

I think he means that you may end up doing more scenario designing than playing, once you've developed a taste for it. biggrin

#4084274 - 02/26/15 03:43 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Well, I think I will be more observing and writing about it than making scenarios and playing them. The goal being to study and report. The problem with your scenarios, is that you know what is going to develop. Besides, since you script both sides, there is no real surprise effect unless the program is bugged, and surprise becomes frustrations.

But certainly 7 years ago, that was the case Britt, I enjoyed scripting the few I made for Arma2 and VBS2.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4084327 - 02/26/15 04:52 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Yes, that is what I ment

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4084450 - 02/26/15 07:53 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Well, more news from the POA2 front. Turn resolution on more complex scenarios is... wow. It's been puttering along for probably 15 minutes now and I'm on pulse two of three on my second turn overall. Taking potshots at each other from 3km out, starting positions, no movement. It's not even complex yet.

I gather this can be influenced somewhat by tweaking the LOS, targeting and other resolutions in preferences, but the irritating thing is that behind all this, the CPU usage is averaging 12 percent, RAM usage is 98MB. reading

To be fair, I'm using a lot of AI because I'm on novice, but 20 minutes for turn resolution (turn 4) on an i7@3.4 GHz... ouch.

#4084980 - 02/27/15 06:17 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Which mission are you playing Amaroq?

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4085043 - 02/27/15 07:38 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Which mission are you playing Amaroq?

Scenario 1, "Defense in Sector" (Hagenbüchach / Tuchenbach).

Blue has
2 rifle platoons,
1 tank platoon
1 flight of A-10s

red is a motor rifle battalion, i.e.
6 rifle platoons
1 recon Plt
1 grenade launcher Plt
1 ATGM Plt
1 mortar plt

Pretty rudimentary I'd say, but it takes about five minutes just to work out the target list.

It seems very dependent on the force sizes. In Scenario 10 the first turn took five minutes, but ENY forces are only company sized. In Scenario 12 red is battalion-sized again and the first turn took about 10 minutes. That's long but only half as long as Scenario 1, so something might be buggy with Scenario 1.

Still, in Scenario 12 it's 10 minutes to go through one minute of actual time. I'm afraid no amount of detail can make up for the sheer boredom of that. sleepy

Small scenarios like the terrorist airport attack and the tutorial worked much faster, but for that kind of engagement size I don't feel POA2 is the right format. I know ArmA3 would have made that airport map a serious challenge even with no special scripting, while in POA2 I wasn't sure where any challenge at all was supposed to be. Maybe if you play as the terrorists or if at least a human opponent plays the terrorists and you need to keep all the civilians alive. - That would be quite a challenge (but again, probably more satisfactorily and realistically played in ArmA3).

#4085315 - 02/28/15 04:55 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
I am gonna start writing MW scenarios that I will be studying in SBproPE!...

I made up my mind!...

Thank you all for bringing up suggestions!...I appreciated them!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4085373 - 02/28/15 12:29 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

I'm currently working on a new SB scenario.
I know it will bring the software to it's boarders, but a few years agao a similar scenario (defence of a blue BN size CT against a MechRifle Rgt(+) ) worked ok. And it even worked in Coop play with nearly 40 players.
I'd didn't try it in the 3.002 version...my PC was down to 8 FPS just in single player :-(

With the code improvements since 3.025, I'm hopeful big size scenarios will work again.

I modified the Kursk area map a bit. My plan is to let BLUE (players side) defend against an enemy MechInfBrig (BMP-3 and T-90's).
The big taks is to skript red's attack. so far I figured out 3-4 possible CoA for Red to take the Airport and the Railway node.(RED is comming from the south)

Map is wide enough to allow for some "manouvering"

What you have to assume is that you got the enemy intent right from the start. I mean it is not realy possible to script it in a way: "Is the airport realy his opbjective? or are they going somewhere else?"

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 02/28/15 12:30 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4085444 - 02/28/15 04:20 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE
my PC was down to 8 FPS just in single player :-(

It has to do with the codes, but also the PC technology and the amount of RAM. Playing from a laptop is not always the best alternative when you have a choice.

The PC technology certainly improved, and windows today does not limit the ram as it did in WinXP.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4085453 - 02/28/15 04:33 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE
What you have to assume is that you got the enemy intent right from the start. I mean it is not realy possible to script it in a way: "Is the airport realy his opbjective? or are they going somewhere else?"

Yeah, I think this is the problem of this whole MW thing: That the tactical challenge slides up one command level when this happens and is suddenly out of the scope of the simulation.

Like here, even if you did script the enemy to possibly choose to go around the airport and take it a week later after it is sealed off, the decision to react to this plan would lie one or more levels above the command level you're actually playing in this game. The commander that you're playing could do nothing other than relay his observation up the chain of command that apparently the attacking force is sidestepping the airport. He is stuck with his mission of defending the airport until he is told otherwise (similarities to current events are coincidental (or not)).

But still, if the simulation is big enough, there will be an element of MW available one level below the highest command level represented in the game and that unit will have a higher command level to report to that will have to decide how to react such a situation, presenting the player with that MW challenge.

So in a sense, it's also a matter of keeping focus. There's always a bigger picture, there's always some higher echelon that needs to make bigger calls. What's important is that the game being played is sufficiently 'large' to allow those units represented a flexible plan of action.

#4085472 - 02/28/15 05:27 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Ronin_GE and Amaroq, I would push it and simplify it by asking:

What is the Auftragstaktik?

What is the Angriffsziel?

MW is not about moving tanks on a map to reach a better shooting position on the enemy, which is attrition warfare. MW is about pitting force against weakness.

The two Germans terms are explained in the beginning of the thread.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4085481 - 02/28/15 05:40 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Yeah, but my point is that you need to focus on realizing those concepts on the level that is simulated and not be bothered by the fact that there is a higher level where these challenges seem to materialize even more clearly.

I'm sure it can be done on the scale of Steel Beasts and I'm looking forward to what you come up with Gunnyhighway!

#4085504 - 02/28/15 06:39 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Ronin_GE and Amaroq, I would push it and simplify it by asking:

What is the Auftragstaktik?

What is the Angriffsziel?

MW is not about moving tanks on a map to reach a better shooting position on the enemy, which is attrition warfare. MW is about pitting force against weakness.

The two Germans terms are explained in the beginning of the thread.

There is a common weakness in the "Auftragstaktik" nowadays. That is that many commanding officers think that it only applies to their level and above...while anybody down should do as they are f***ing told. winkngrin

Auftragstaktik is true for ALL levels of command, from fire team to corps. The main thing when you try to apply it is at the start. You have a given situation, and get a your orders. You analyze these orders(or better tasks) and then ask one question: Wesentliche Lageänderung?
I.e.: Has the situation changed in a way that renders these orders invalid.=>or the boss knew what I know now, he would have given that order.
From my experience, it is extremely difficult to tweak a situation in a way that the student realizes: yes, there is a major change in situation...I have to make a completely new plan.

And for the second part: How do I strip down the task given to me, into taks for my subordinate units.
In all task form I know the task is given with a litte "suffix": "...um zu..." or in the anglo-saxon world: "IOT"==> you simply have to look how your units can achieve the "IOT" in the best way.

Angriffziel when I may (freely)cite from HDv 100 series: the aim of an attack is to take ground, or destroy enemy forces (or both).

Just an example: you give a BN the task to attack/take ground feature X and then hold it for 48 hours IOT secure left flank of own brigades attack.

This can mean: go there push the enemy out, then dig in and hold ground.
But this can also mean: Go there, push the enemy out...but you see an chance to exploit the gap you just pushed in and continue to attack

But ok, I where I want to get next with the scenario I'm working on. Is to get the player to figure out where RED has put their main effort.
The map in 20km wide, when you set against that how wide a bridgade is in attack...you see there is enough room to get your'vs'enemy main effort wrong or right.
The second things is, I wand to let the situation developed in a way that the player has to decide how to use his reserve. Reenforce own units? Block enemy breakthrough? Or, if all went well, counterattack?

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.