Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4081658 - 02/21/15 04:15 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Its a shame that BI never fixed the HC system, or expanded on it.

Unfortunately, I find ArmA too frustrating to play as an RTS - I wish they would do more to shape it as an RTS.

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising has a much better HC system.

Rangers Lead the Way
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4081694 - 02/21/15 10:12 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Apocalypse31]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
Unfortunately, I find ArmA too frustrating to play as an RTS - I wish they would do more to shape it as an RTS.

Are you talking about ArmA3 in ZEUS mode or that ArmA2 RTS mod? ZEUS isn't too shabby considering the complexity of the engine IMO. And they just kind of threw that in

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4081739 - 02/21/15 02:15 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Amaroq]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Originally Posted By: Amaroq
Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31

Are you talking about ArmA3 in ZEUS mode or that ArmA2 RTS mod? ZEUS isn't too shabby considering the complexity of the engine IMO. And they just kind of threw that in

No, I was referring to using HC mode to control units.

Rangers Lead the Way
#4081773 - 02/21/15 04:17 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith
Highway,

I am interested in the same sorts of things.

Finally, I have found a rather limited but interesting command sim called March to Baghdad: Decision at Talil Air Base. It's free!

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/marchtobaghdad

It's based on the Air Assault Task Force engine, and should be good for a few play throughs at least.

That is interesting JMcK-S.

Thank you for the address, I downloaded it and will try it.

I forgot about "Schrapnels", good reminder.

Nice Insert!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 02/21/15 04:21 PM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4081905 - 02/21/15 10:04 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Amaroq]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
As far as simulating the OODA loop I think Flashpoint: Red Storm is impressive. Your turn resolution varies with external factors like EW, command unit readiness, range and availability etc. Basically, all other things remaining the same, the more you're getting hammered, the longer you have to wait until you can give new orders and the longer it will take for your orders to get out to the troops.

Nothing graphically impressive, but 'hammering' troops - and striking rear echelon units - has a tangible operational payoff beyond mere attrition.

Amaroq,

With the possibility to observe the battlefield due to the adjunction of google earth by matrix, this game starts to really interest me. I actually just bought it.

The review from Armchair-General is not bad either.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4082136 - 02/22/15 02:14 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
Amaroq,

With the possibility to observe the battlefield due to the adjunction of google earth by matrix, this game starts to really interest me. I actually just bought it.

The review from Armchair-General is not bad either.

Wow, I didn't see that. That is really cool.

It's here, for anybody interested:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3441322

Hope you like the game. I'm not really into hex gaming otherwise, I find it too far removed somehow, like chess. But FPRS has an immediacy to it and does enough micromanaging on it's own.

I've been looking at TOAW3 too but then I read in the manual to remember to move your units off frozen lakes and rivers before spring comes or you might lose them when the ice melts... Not the kind of challenge I'm looking for. rolleyes

#4082208 - 02/22/15 05:08 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Amaroq,

That sounds very realistic.

I read that a Kommandir Tanka ask his driver to put the gear in neutral as their KV-1 was breaking the ice of a lake right before jumping out. The next day the crew came back with another tank and a new battery and towed the KV out of the lake and used it 6 hours later. Only in Russia in WWII!...

Source: Krysov Vasiliy. Panzer Destroyer : Memoirs of a Red Army Tank Commander."Samokhodki ѵ boyu: Batareya, ogon!" Barnsley: Pen & Sword Military Book Ltd. 2010. ISBN 978-1-84415-595-12.

So what game do you play right now?...You seem to be on the sharp edge of Pro-Mil-Sim.

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 02/22/15 05:10 PM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082215 - 02/22/15 05:31 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Gunny,

I'm sorry to say that I don't think the game (an operational level wargame) you're looking for exists - or if it does, it's old and hex based. I'd like a game in that vein too, hexless at the brigade to corps level. I think the only thing that may have come close is one of the most famous vaporware wargames of all time - Road to Moscow.

http://spong.com/game/screens/11014997/Road-to-Moscow-PC/8592

#4082227 - 02/22/15 06:05 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Amaroq,

That sounds very realistic.

I read that a Kommandir Tanka ask his driver to put the gear in neutral as their KV-1 was breaking the ice of a lake right before jumping out. The next day the crew came back with another tank and a new battery and towed the KV out of the lake and used it 6 hours later. Only in Russia in WWII!...

Source: Krysov Vasiliy. Panzer Destroyer : Memoirs of a Red Army Tank Commander."Samokhodki ѵ boyu: Batareya, ogon!" Barnsley: Pen & Sword Military Book Ltd. 2010. ISBN 978-1-84415-595-12.

Absolutely realistic, but not what I want to be bothered with as a theater commander. If the guy gets himself stuck on an ice floe, he better not try to cast it as my fault. Actually, he'd better show up with a tow-cable and fix it before I even hear about it. biggrin

Quote:
So what game do you play right now?...You seem to be on the sharp edge of Pro-Mil-Sim.

Nah, I'm really just getting into this level of abstraction. I have little 'leisure time' these days and I'm usually pretty mentally exhausted by the time I get home so I like something that's not as frantic as the sims I used to play but still grips me like, say, ArmA3. I need entertainment value and tactical challenge even if I end up always losing (as I often do). So far I've been rather disappointed with what I found, at least outside of the WW2 sim genre, which is just not my thing.

SBproPE has been hard to beat, overall. Flashpoint: Red Storm really clicked too. Battle Command should be great when they add the AI but right now you need to play against a human opponent for a challenge and I don't have time for that. I'm loving Combat Mission Black Sea overall but it's a bit of a chore to micromanage all those units in bigger scenarios.

One sim I've been trying to figure out is Point of Attack 2. It's old but I remember it was buggy when it came out. The bugs have apparently been ironed out, but there's not much info out there and I kind of dropped my blind-purchase card on Battle Command already.

#4082250 - 02/22/15 07:06 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Helfish6,

The "Road to Moscow" game from vaporware seems to have been canceled of difficult or close to impossible to find, it is from 1999.

There is another game called "Frontline : Road to Moscow" that seems as per the posts I have read in Matrix forum, like a game rewarding by-passing strong points labeled as secondary objectives. Very much on sync with maneuver warfare. Yet on another hand it seems to be a basic game @ $9.99 for beginners.

How can you have a copy of the 1999 "Road to Moscow"?

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082301 - 02/22/15 09:21 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

No, "vaporware" means it was never actually released. It's my Holy Grail of gaming, which means I'll probably never see a game like it.

#4082310 - 02/22/15 09:41 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Hellfish6]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Hellfish6
No, "vaporware" means it was never actually released. It's my Holy Grail of gaming, which means I'll probably never see a game like it.

lol!...Roger that! yep

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082314 - 02/22/15 09:47 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Amaroq]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA

One sim I've been trying to figure out is Point of Attack 2. It's old but I remember it was buggy when it came out. The bugs have apparently been ironed out, but there's not much info out there and I kind of dropped my blind-purchase card on Battle Command already.

Actually you can find it on HPS games and it is POA 2.5 now.

I am getting into it to check the limits.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/POA2/POA2b.html

However, if you like casual, it might feels like working a full time job in the beginning!...

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082509 - 02/23/15 11:44 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I didn't see these mentioned but may be worthy of your intended goals of maneuver.... though a more simplified game style.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/ModernCampaigns.html

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4082511 - 02/23/15 11:50 AM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm

However, if you like casual, it might feels like working a full time job in the beginning!...

Wow! I totally forgot all about that title. Please provide some feedback on what you think of this. I like the more advanced weaponry it offers.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4082540 - 02/23/15 01:27 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe

Yeah, I bought it yesterday right after I posted, lol. I'd been following it for a long time after it came out but initial reports were kind of negative so I held back. Now it seems patched up and working fine but there's no info beyond the rather sparse description on the website. No videos, no AARs, nothing to show how all that modelling and data it obviously contains actually plays out and the one forum I found gave a new meaning to 'low activity'.

Back when it first came out it sounded like there was so much modelled that a lot of people were getting a sort of 'butterfly effect', where things they didn't know were even there were influencing gameplay and creating frustrating experiences. I played the tutorial last night and find it actually pretty accessible so far. I did get my HQ tanks inexplicably constantly firing on their own advancing subordinate platoons though. Not sure what was up with that.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. Without doubt it has great technical depth.

#4082685 - 02/23/15 06:28 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: strykerpsg]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: strykerpsg
I didn't see these mentioned but may be worthy of your intended goals of maneuver.... though a more simplified game style.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/ModernCampaigns.html

Strykerpsg,

John Tyler have been around for a long time. I played some of his games like "Eagle Strike", "The Proud and The Few" which are in the squad battle series and others in the Panzer battle series. They are all hexes based. I have a hard time making them work on my win 7 64bit. They worked fine on Win98.

I'll have to try the more recent ones, conceived for more up to date O/S

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082687 - 02/23/15 06:32 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Amaroq]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA

I'd be interested to hear what you think. Without doubt it has great technical depth.

Amaroq,

Right now I am battling windows that don't close and freeze the operation of the game. It is frustrating. I placed a support call.

Again, it might have to do with the way the upgrade overrun existing files and my operating system, that might not play well with the intended operating system of the game.

Some of those games, make a lot of sense to me, yet they were conceived for win98 up to XP and I run a Win7 64 bit.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4082719 - 02/23/15 07:24 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe

Amaroq,

Right now I am battling windows that don't close and freeze the operation of the game. It is frustrating. I placed a support call.

Again, it might have to do with the way the upgrade overrun existing files and my operating system, that might not play well with the intended operating system of the game.

Some of those games, make a lot of sense to me, yet they were conceived for win98 up to XP and I run a Win7 64 bit.

Yeah... I'm on windows 8 and it runs ok mostly, but it hangs when I scroll to scenario 11 in the load menu. Don't know what the issue is. I'm also not getting a 'Current Location Window' in game for some reason. If I use the keyboard shortcut it flashes briefly but disappears. Otherwise it's just not there. Those are the only two real issues so far though.

Also, the fully zoomed out view is obviously designed for ancient hardware. The map typically only occupies about 15% of my 1920x1080 screen and is barely usable which leaves you with two usable zoom levels. I'm sure it looked great on a VGA monitor though...

Another thing... I couln't find any third party scenarios and the game only includes twelve. Anybody know where to find some more?

#4082726 - 02/23/15 07:42 PM Re: Maneuver Warfare games [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Definitely needs more of this biggrin:

Battle Commands needs that AI they're working on though, so there are no perfect solutions at this point, but I'm confident BC will get there sooner rather than later, while POA2 doesn't look like we should expect much beyond what it is now...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.