Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4071009 - 01/29/15 04:16 AM I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
smile
So I've finally sorted out my crashed desktop and am stuffing the hard drive again wink
Apart from Elite: Dangerous, which I'm considering getting, I'm also revisting Skyrim. I had about 300 hours logged on that game before the PC crashed. I'll have to start all over again (and maybe actually finish the main quest this time) as my previous game was modded, and I can't remember what mods I used. So my save game files are likely incompatible with whatever configuration I would use, and would probably result in CTDs.
So, I'm looking for some recommendations for mods and utilities, firstly in a couple of areas. The rest will come in due time.

1. Utilities
I'm looking for utilities for the game that helps in managing gameplay. I used Nexus Mod Manager previously, is this still a good choice? Any better ones out there?
I also vaguely recall using a mod called SkyUI that made life a bit easier. Is this still a good choice?
Would be interested to hear what else you may have used.

2. Graphics enhancements
This is something I really didn't venture into the last time, the graphics of the vanilla game were good enough for me. The only ones I used were minor ones that corrected obvious issues like textures (I remember a fix for the purple log in the fireplace).
So as I'm new to this aspect of the plethora of mods out there, could someone recommend which path to go? To be honest browsing Skyrim Nexus has left me a little confused, there appears to be an alphabet soup of mods that require certain base mods like ENB, Wrye Bash, CBBE and so on. And I'm not sure about compatibility.
I'm interested in improving the looks of NPCs (including beast characters) and terrain. Eye candy followers would be a bonus!
So if someone could help me down this road it would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4071013 - 01/29/15 04:30 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I've heard that Mod Installer is actually better than NMM these days- I uninstalled Skyrim myself several months back, as it had gotten to the point of being too unstable to run for more than about half an hour at a time.

SkyUI, last I heard, was still the standard- though don't you need the SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) to get the full functionality out of it?

Depending on your system's horsepower, graphic mods can be a deep, dark, twisty rabbit hole to fall down.

I'd say to spend a good bit of time perusing the Skyrim Nexusmods site, and see where that leads you for other resources too.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/

Best of luck!

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4071015 - 01/29/15 04:36 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Well its been awhile since I've visited there myself. I personally don't get involved with the Wyre Bash whatever stuff or even Nexus' mod manager. I don't have time or patience for that and try to avoid getting into that frustrating, compulsive modding grind.

I just install stuff more or less stand alone and manually.

I'd say pick several utility mods, several gameplay mods and maybe a couple of graphics mods.

-Sky UI is still a good choice and very helpful. (other cool utility mods tend to utilize this mod)
-I like Enhanced Force mod (not sure exactly what its called but it improves physics)
-I say be a graphics mod of your choice and also install Imaginator which allows you to tweak graphic options on the fly in-game.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4071021 - 01/29/15 05:04 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Thanks. I'd forgotten about SKSE, it's a must have. Thanks for reminding me, NavyNuke.

#4071096 - 01/29/15 11:10 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: NavyNuke99]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Drop Nexus Mod Manager and switch to Mod Organizer if you care to read up on how to use it. It does incorporate SKSE and it will keep your Skyrim install original

NMM has known architectural and hence stability issues on the longrun.

I'm in the middle of re-tooling for Skyrim basing it on one large overhaul mod in the form of SkyRe (previously using Requiem) with a bunch of other mods to enhance it, eg. Hunterborn, Frostfall, Deadly Combat, Level Uncapper. SkyRe is comprehensive but much more modular where Requiem is not and therefore probably easier to mesh with other mods.

I haven't finalize the list since I'm still reading up on the literature but the list will be compact and manageable. I don't go crazy when it comes to adding mods, mostly because all my prior Elder Scroll installs had been based on one large overhaul that comprehensively change the vanilla game.

My prior install tanked badly when I got the dreaded super speed glitch, which apparently manifests itself even in the vanilla game though the SimHQ crowd here were quick to dismissed that but as you can see from the dearth of advice here, there's just not many who are interested in modded Skyrim. And for good reason too as the Elder series can be tedious to mod.

This is just not the right venue for Skyrim advice, if I'm frank. The Nexus forum is a better bet

#4071150 - 01/29/15 01:35 PM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

There was a good running thread about S.T.E.P.
Trust me, you at least want to check that out.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4071166 - 01/29/15 02:01 PM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Don't forget to check previous Skyrim threads. I also plan a trip back myself soon smile

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4021131/Skyrim_Mods?

Search: http://simhq.com/forum/search.php?cx=par...m&sa=Search

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4072315 - 02/01/15 08:47 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Harry
Am aware of MO, but I really don't have the time to get myself familiarized with a new mod manager. I'm happy to stick with NMM, although your comments are appreciated.\

I'm trying to figure out how to use ENB. I've downloaded v0.265 but where do the files go? And any favourite presets from any one here?

There are thousands of mods but I'm planning on just a few to minimise grinding, enhance visuals and that's likely to be it.

#4072448 - 02/01/15 06:08 PM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Your opening a big ol' can of worms my friend! For me, Skyrim isn't just a game that I play, it's a place that I go, and it's been very meticulously modded to my very particular preferences. I'll give you a list of recommended mods, but it's on you to decide if they're for you or not. Til then, here's a few screens to hold you over:

Click to reveal..

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4072534 - 02/01/15 09:26 PM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
OK Brennus, I don't have enough frustration in my life right now, and apparently too much free time. How bout posting that mod list? wink

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4072607 - 02/02/15 12:13 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Give me some time to organize the list, I'll post it when I get some free time.

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4072663 - 02/02/15 03:24 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Zero Niner
Harry
Am aware of MO, but I really don't have the time to get myself familiarized with a new mod manager. I'm happy to stick with NMM, although your comments are appreciated.\

I'm trying to figure out how to use ENB. I've downloaded v0.265 but where do the files go? And any favourite presets from any one here?

There are thousands of mods but I'm planning on just a few to minimise grinding, enhance visuals and that's likely to be it.

The trouble with NMM is there are some horror stories associated with it and while not everyone gets a taste, I'm one of those who experienced some of its pitfalls which was quite enough incentive to switch over to Mod Organizer. Modding Skyrim is challenging enough as is without having a mod manager going feral.

There are some excellent and easy to follow step by step youtube tutorials on how to setup and use Mod Organizer including instructions on how to incorporate plugins, Wrye Bash etc. Don't know why people are so afraid to touch Wrye Bash. It's just a couple of simple steps to get it squared away.

For what its worth, when I have time, I'll post the instruction links once I organize myself.

I'm somewhat like Brennus. I cannot stand Vanilla Skyrim because its so watered down. It's nothing against Bethesda. They are on a clock and budget and cannot reasonably expected to tinker indefinitely like a a modder can afford to do. Once you play modded Skyrim however, the depth and features just has no comparison. Having a desired mod list is only part of the picture. Equally important is how to mesh that list so that your game runs stable. I think I may have come across my desired list in SkyRe.

#4072675 - 02/02/15 04:12 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Thank you all for your replies and help. I certainly understand Brennus's comment about Skyrim being a place to go to, the game was gorgeous before the mods. And now that I've gotten ENB successfully installed it's really beautiful. Vanilla pales in comparison.

I'm using Real Vision presets, no particular reason just the first one I came across on Nexus that I liked. I've also installed Climates of Tamriel to go with it. Initially had some CTDs launching the game, then realised I had forgot to uninstall Real Vision as that is supposed to go after CoT. duh I'm looking at Realistic Water 2 next and after that perhaps some mods to improve the appearance of NPCs.

Just a couple of questions. Firstly, I've a few mods (like A Matter of Time, which adds a clock widget to the HUD) which can be configured via SkyUI mod configuration menu. However I've not been able to do so, SkyUI MCM only allows me to configure SkyUI only. Am I missing something? Is there an order of installation? FWIW, SkyUI was the first mod I installed, via NMM.

Second question, I'm looking for mods that enhance the look of NPCs in a lore friendly way. That means no female NPCs in bikini armour for instance. While nice to look at, it jars with the overall playing experience. Browsing Nexus, it appears that are 2 main body replacers, CBBE & UNP. I guess they are mutually exclusive, you use one or the other but not both. Then there are other mods which use either of these what I would call base mods.

So, do I really need a body replacer? Or just a retexture of the visible parts of the human (or beast) anatomy - heads, arms, etc - would suffice? In which case what are the more popular ones?

Thanks again.

#4073789 - 02/04/15 07:00 PM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Here's my (rather extensive) list of mods:

Click to reveal..
Appropriately Attired Jarls
Armored Skeletons and The Walking Dead
Armors and Clothes for Females
Audio Overhaul
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
Belt-Fastened Quivers
Better Dynamic Snow
Better Snow
Birds and Flocks
Birds of Skyrim
Blacksmith Forge Water Fix
Book Covers Skyrim
Book of Silence
Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger
Champion of Mora
Climates Of Tamriel
Cloaks of Skyrim
Convenient Horses
DANDELION SEEDS
Dead Body Collision Fix
Detailed Faces
Detailed Paper World Map
Detailed Rugs
DIMONIZED UNP (BBP)
Distant Decal Fix
Dragons Shout with Voice
DUST
Enhanced Blood Textures
Enhanced Camera
Enhanced Distant Terrain
Enhanced HD Dragon Bones
Enhanced Night Skyrim
Enhanced Wetness and Puddles
Equipping Overhaul
EWI HD
Farmhouse Chimneys
Female Vampires Have Fangs
Female Werewolf
Follower Commentary Overhaul
Follower Compatibility
Footprints
Friendly Creatures
Frostfall
Garm the Husky
Garrett Thief Armor
Guard Dialogue Overhaul
HD Dragon Replacer Pack
HD Plants and Herbs
Horse Stabling
Hoth
Immersive Icicles
Improved Foot Wraps
Improved Horse Step Sounds
Improved NPC Clothing
INIGO
Jewels of the Nord
LEAVES
Lore-Based Loading Screens
Lush Trees (Old)
Lydia Loop Fix
Main Menu
Meera
Moon Glow
Moss Rocks
No More Glowing Edges
No Road Predators
Nordic Ranger Outfit
OIL
PELTAPALOOZA
PondFish and Salmon
Ragdoll Paralysis
Rainbows
Real Shelter
Realistic Boat Bobbing
Realistic FPS Camera
Realistic Husky Sounds
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Realistic Ragdolls and Force
Realistic Water Two
Realistic Wolf Howls
RealVision ENB
Reduced Distance NPC Greetings
Ruins Clutter Improved
Run For Your Lives
Rustic Windows
RUSTIC X
S L F H (HD)
S L O D
Shooting Stars
SkyFalls and SkyMills
Skyrim Better Roads
Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)
SkyUI
SNOW
Sofia
Splash of Rain
Stalhrim of Skyrim
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
STEAM
Stunning Statues of Skyrim
The Eyes Of Beauty
Torch Arrows
uGridsToLoad
Ultimate Follower Overhaul
Ultimate HD Torch
Ultimate Spinning Arrows
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
UNP Dawnguard Armor
UNP Dragonborn Armor
UNP FT
Verdant
Vibrant Auroras
VioLens
Vivid Clouds and Fogs
Vivid Landscapes
Wearable Lanterns
Wet and Cold
When Vampires Attack
Wind Overhaul
WOODCARVED Shrines

... and some more screens:

Click to reveal..

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4073988 - 02/05/15 04:47 AM Re: I'm packing my bags, I'm headed to Skyrim [Re: Zero Niner]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Nice shots Brennus. I finished installing my mods and started a new game yesterday. Played for about half an hour, escaping Helgen and now at the gates of Riverwood. Game plays ok, no CTDs or obvious hiccups. And looks gorgeous!

Just a couple of niggles, hoping to find an answer here:
1. The dungeons are just too dark - pitch black in fact, for unlit places. I use Realistic Lighting Overhaul, and I know it's supposed to be dark. But until I can get my hands on a lantern (I also installed the wearable lantern mod) is there anything I can do to make it less dark, for ease of play?

2. Depth of field - I'm using the latest ENB (v0.265 iirc), CoT + weather patch, Real Vision ENB. I'd like the further distance terrain to look sharper than the blur it is at the moment.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.