Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4070884 - 01/28/15 10:19 PM New Air Force 1 will be...  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
..the Boeing 747-8, rather unsurprisingly. Boeing will build three, and they will undergo a five-year test programme from 2018 onwards. So it may not enter into service before the 45th or 46th POTUS is in office.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/28/7930857/the-next-air-force-one-will-be-a-boeing-747-8

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4070949 - 01/29/15 01:22 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
5 MORE years of testing for an in service aircraft design?

Gee, I hope they can squeeze a couple of coffee breaks in. rolleyes

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4071020 - 01/29/15 04:55 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
And you wonder why military procurement is broken? Seriously, everyone wants to go to OCP, and we are still waiting on that after 3 years. I'm holding off on my new uniforms, because I know they won't be issuing them to us, we'll get to buy them since it costs them too much to issue them.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4071063 - 01/29/15 08:50 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: Timothy]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: Timothy
And you wonder why military procurement is broken? Seriously, everyone wants to go to OCP, and we are still waiting on that after 3 years. I'm holding off on my new uniforms, because I know they won't be issuing them to us, we'll get to buy them since it costs them too much to issue them.

Could be worse, you could be an English "Donkey Whalloper" (Cavalry, specifically, Officer)

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4071107 - 01/29/15 11:50 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I have a friend who is a private contractor for the Pentagon doing some kind of software programming for inventory.

He has been working on the same project for as long as I can remember with the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force.

He has a top security clearance: when he travels outside of the country, he is on a Pentagon private jet and he is driven around by armed bodyguards in armored SUV convoys.

Every so often, 4-5 months, I ask him: "so when is the project going to be completed and when it will go live?"

He answers in a couple of months.

He has been giving me that same answer for almost 10 years.

In the meantime he is making millions, and I mean millions, like in the 100 of millions.

Not bad considering that he is the owner of the software company and there are only 5 employees in his company:

he and 2 software programmers and 2 technicians.

He is only 43 years old and he drives a McLaren and he also owns an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini, A Ferrari, and he is now as we speak in Kentucky at the Corvette Z06 plant watching his new car being build.

He also owns 3 beach houses: one in South Beach, one in Southern California, one in Long Island.

All procured from his earnings fleeching the Pentagon.

#4071114 - 01/29/15 12:28 PM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: CG2015]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: CG2015
I have a friend who is a private contractor for the Pentagon doing some kind of software programming for inventory.

He has been working on the same project for as long as I can remember with the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force.

He has a top security clearance: when he travels outside of the country, he is on a Pentagon private jet and he is driven around by armed bodyguards in armored SUV convoys.

Every so often, 4-5 months, I ask him: "so when is the project going to be completed and when it will go live?"

He answers in a couple of months.

He has been giving me that same answer for almost 10 years.

In the meantime he is making millions, and I mean millions, like in the 100 of millions.

Not bad considering that he is the owner of the software company and there are only 5 employees in his company:

he and 2 software programmers and 2 technicians.

He is only 43 years old and he drives a McLaren and he also owns an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini, A Ferrari, and he is now as we speak in Kentucky at the Corvette Z06 plant watching his new car being build.

He also owns 3 beach houses: one in South Beach, one in Southern California, one in Long Island.

All procured from his earnings fleeching the Pentagon.

Yep, that sounds about right. I encountered those types quite a bit in my days in- but then again, when there's no competition for a contract...

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4071157 - 01/29/15 01:47 PM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: NavyNuke99]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99

Yep, that sounds about right. I encountered those types quite a bit in my days in- but then again, when there's no competition for a contract...

So is my friend the one dragging out the completion of the contract so the longer he takes, the more $ he gets (does it work that way?) or is the Pentagon slow at wanting things done or both?

#4071164 - 01/29/15 02:00 PM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It depends on what kind of contract he has. Cost plus, fixed price (obviously not), whatever.
Something tells me they don't give out contracts like that very often any more, at least not for that much money. He got it when, back post-9/11, pre-OIF? The money tap was flowing freely then.

I'm just surprised with sequestration and all that no one clobbered his.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4071176 - 01/29/15 02:10 PM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
just another reason why our government system is broken...

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4072281 - 02/01/15 04:18 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Right... but... we DON'T know if what he provides... is or is not worth the money paid. It may well be a game-changer. If it is... and there is no one else providing anything like it, then what's the problem?

Look, few criticise the purchase of MRAP's or jets and UCAV's... but sifting through sensor fusion and the giant databases on intel, to provide mission planners what they REALLY need... isn't that worth the price of a single fighter jet? Or maybe its a fancy super system able to track really high threat terrorists in new ways or better ways...

Look, I'm no fan of corruption, especially on the taxpayer's dime. I think it should be punishable by guillotine, frankly. I'm just saying that some guy with a big contract that's highly profitable, isn't nessisarily corrupt.

Getting back to AF1 though, this isn't just buying a 747 "off the rack". The current generation AF1, the first 747 version, was dramatically different from the normal civie aircraft. Sure, same wings airframe and so on... but the rooms, bulkheads, the wiring... it had more than doubled the wiring from a normal 747 even when brand new. Tons of new systems were put on it. Fancy communications systems for everything like talking to CNN, to video conferencing with the Pentagon...

It takes time to integrate all that into an aircraft, so that its not overweight, doesn't catch fire (look into Kapton wire!), can handle the loads.

Now consider all the tech advancements since 1990 they'll want to stuff into the next generation of AF1... you can't do that overnight, you can't do that on the cheap, and you'll need many aerospace professionals to do the work. And they expect to be paid more than the guy asking "you wanna upsize that?"

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#4072297 - 02/01/15 06:30 AM Re: New Air Force 1 will be... [Re: semmern]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Rick,

More often than not, it is a promise to be a game changer, it doesn't actually deliver.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/du...stem-90796.html

DCGS has been promised to be a game changers, but I'll be honest, I know 35 series have told me they use Google Earth more often than not.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.