Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4070375 - 01/28/15 02:11 AM Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Kudos to the Cirrus SR-22 parachute, life raft and the US Coast Guard for saving pilot Lue Morton's ass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTtwRptOw1E

Quote:
Video by the US Coast Guard. The pilot of a single engine Cirrus SR-22 aircraft that ran out of fuel is safe after ditching his aircraft 253 miles northeast of Maui, Hawaii Sunday. At approximately 4:44 p.m. the pilot was able to deploy the aircraft’s airframe parachute system and safely exit the aircraft into a life raft. U.S. Coast Guard video.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4070477 - 01/28/15 09:24 AM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Looks like he was picked up by a boat from a cruise ship.
I guess the coast guard did coordination and monitoring.

#4070576 - 01/28/15 02:56 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: PV1]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Quote:
after ditching his aircraft 253 miles northeast of Maui

Look at a map and try to figure out where this guy was flying to in a single engine a/c. Lost???

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4070587 - 01/28/15 03:08 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
I was wondering the same thing.

What happened for him to end up that far out into the ocean on a small single engine plane?

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
#4070594 - 01/28/15 03:20 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I was thinking the same thing.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4070625 - 01/28/15 04:19 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Maybe he was competing in the Wings Around The Globe race and a rival aircraft chopped off his GPS antenna?

Click to reveal..

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4070629 - 01/28/15 04:34 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

This flight originated in Tracy, California (KTCY). Yes.... he attempted to fly a single engine aircraft 2100 nautical miles across the Pacific Ocean. Surprisingly, these delivery/ferry flights are common. Unfortunately, his pre-flight calculations didn't pan out. It's a very long flight and the headwinds probably picked up.... maybe poor engine management leading to higher than planned fuel burns??... who knows.

Now the aircraft and paperwork are sitting at the bottom of the ocean. Just to recover that will cost $$$ and I doubt the NTSB and FAA will approve a salvage operation of that magnitude for a Cirrus SR22. Base price $500k+ ouch.... added a deflated ego to that price tag.

✈ YouTube

✈ Twitch

✈ My PC Gaming Rig
#4070989 - 01/29/15 03:14 AM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Quote:
The next emergency landing I will cover is the WATER LANDING. If you are drifting towards a
body of water, immediately look then slip/turn away. If you cannot avoid the water, look below you to
ensure there are no fellow jumpers and lower your equipment. Next, jettison your advanced combat
helmet/ ballistic helmet, making a mental note of where it lands. Activate the quick release in the
waistband. Disconnect the left connector snap and rotate the reserve parachute to the right. Seat yourself
well into the saddle and activate the quick release in the chest strap completely removing the chest strap
from the chest strap friction adapter. Regain canopy control. Prior to entering the water, assume a landing
attitude by keeping your feet and knees together, knees slightly bent and place your hands on both leg
strap ejector snaps. When the balls of your feet make contact with the water, activate both leg strap
ejector snaps, arch your back, throw your arms above your head and slide out of the parachute harness.
Be prepared to execute a proper PLF if the water is shallow. Swim upwind, or upstream, away from the
canopy. If the canopy comes down on top of you, locate a radial tape, and follow it to the skirt of the
canopy.

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/1-507th/jumpmaster/content/PDF/T-11_MC-6%20Pre-Jump.pdf

That said, he did a terrible PLF. biggrin

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4071238 - 01/29/15 03:43 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
Was there a similar incident a year or two ago, on another ferry flight the came up short?

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4071257 - 01/29/15 04:05 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: coasty]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Man that Cirrus only has an 800 mi range. Must have been a BIG Ferry tank...well not big enough obviously.

Takeoff airport was over 50 mi inland...what's 50 miles right??

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4071856 - 01/30/15 09:04 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Apparently the fuel/flight plan was ok, it was a ferry flight of a brand new SR22 to Australia using extra ferry fuel bladders, with a fuel stop in Hawaii, the problem was a failure of the fuel bladder transfer valve, pilot had a few hours warning and contacted CG who were able to film and coordinate the rescue so well.

That explains why the pilot looked so calm. I had always considered the chute on the SR22 overkill, but this one event shows how much it can help in the right circumstances.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4071907 - 01/30/15 10:53 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

The problem with the chute is that it encourages the overstuffed and undertrained wallets that tend to buy the plane to fly in conditions that they would otherwise not without the security blanket. Many of the chute deployments are simply IMC loss of control. In my harsh but honest opinion the plane (or at least the marketing of the plane) is a curse. Few things are more dangerous on a clear blue Sunday than a Cirrus on an RNAV approach with five planes in the pattern.

#4071931 - 01/31/15 12:09 AM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
That's good insight Smoking_Hole.

Are there any special training or experience requirements for ferry flight pilots? also I wonder why they wouldn't have redundant fuel systems to account for a failure like this on such a long ferry flight over water...

#4072148 - 01/31/15 07:45 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Overwater, single-engine, ferry pilots are generally a very bright bunch with oversized... you know. My comments ware definitely not directed at this particular pilot as he almost certainly educated himself well before taking the job. But the lawyers, surgeons, actors and bankers that are the target market for the Cirrus are generally airborne idiots. There are exceptions of course. And Cirrus is fully aware of these people and has very good training centers scattered throughout the world to bring the willing up to a minimal level of safety. But so long as the sales people make the sale, and the insurance people are willing to provide coverage, look out below.

#4072152 - 01/31/15 08:10 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Ah thanks that makes sense, it also explains why I see a good number of them at local GA airfields, sounds like it's designed to be the rich kid toy.

Also if the real ones come with the G1000 glass that the Carenado SR22 GTSX I fly in FSX has, then I can definitely see where the amateur pilots with more money than experience can be more focused on the PFD/MFD than on what's going on around them in the airspace and the flying they're supposed to be doing.

#4072159 - 01/31/15 08:33 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
On the answer of "who can be a ferry pilot" the answer is any Commercially rated pilot.

A pilot with a the right commercial rating (in this case Single Engine Land) and a set of ferry permits for the aircraft from the FAA (allowing temporary modification of the aircraft to carry and use extra fuel in this case) can do the job if a company will hire him and the insurance sign off on him. Most manufacturers have their own certification courses, naturally.

Ferry pilots also work for private concerns as well. Let's say one owns an aircraft and moves across the country, or buys an aircraft that's in another part of it. The owner has the options of A) flying it to its new home, B) having it disassembled, shipped and then reassembled, or C) hiring a ferry pilot. Sometimes C) is cheaper than B), and any time an aircraft is disassembled and re-assembled there's a risk of damage (of the discovery of things that need to be repaired - A&P's can spot an unauthorized modification to a plane from a mile away, and undoing them can cost loads!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4072181 - 01/31/15 09:52 PM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Linebacker]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Good info thanks Dart.

#4072269 - 02/01/15 03:24 AM Re: Pilot safe after ditching 253 miles from Maui [Re: Dart]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Dart
On the answer of "who can be a ferry pilot" the answer is any Commercially rated pilot.

A pilot with a the right commercial rating (in this case Single Engine Land) and a set of ferry permits for the aircraft from the FAA (allowing temporary modification of the aircraft to carry and use extra fuel in this case) can do the job if a company will hire him and the insurance sign off on him. Most manufacturers have their own certification courses, naturally.

Ferry pilots also work for private concerns as well. Let's say one owns an aircraft and moves across the country, or buys an aircraft that's in another part of it. The owner has the options of A) flying it to its new home, B) having it disassembled, shipped and then reassembled, or C) hiring a ferry pilot. Sometimes C) is cheaper than B), and any time an aircraft is disassembled and re-assembled there's a risk of damage (of the discovery of things that need to be repaired - A&P's can spot an unauthorized modification to a plane from a mile away, and undoing them can cost loads!

Right, but I think the big point is that ferry pilots are professional pilots, not professional desk drivers (professionals in other industries) who figure flying is so easy a monkey could do it... and often seem to not offer enough respect to safety, training, other aircraft, changing weather conditions... I'm talking about those type-A jerks for whom the world revolves around them, "HEY... didn't you know... I'm a DOCTOR!!!1!", then go kick the tires, light the fires... and then proceed to be a danger to themselves, other traffic and people on the ground.

Meaning, acting unlike any true enthusiast, or professional pilots, who respect the entire world of airmanship, and strive to enjoy it in the safest ways they can.

Years ago I worked at an FBO. We had lots of contact with pilots of very diverse skill level. Some were former airline guys, at the tail of a long career, ferrying pro sports teams to televised games. Others were air ambulance. Two pilots were amateurs... both rich enough to buy for fun. One owned a PC-9 (must be nice!)... but he RESPECTED the fact it was more plane than his skills. He ALWAYS had a professional pilot ride as copilot. Always. He had a stock trading firm.

The other? A doctor. Owned a second house on a nearby island. Owned a helicopter. Stupid reckless. I mean full on dangerous to himself and others. He thought himself Maveric from that movie that shall remain nameless... but at least Maveric had high skills, was a professional pilot, and flew over desert and oceans... not cities.

The first is not the problem. The second, a hotdog with no skills and a deathwish... he is a problem for him and anyone around him, or beneath his rotorbird.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.