Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4067835 - 01/22/15 08:06 PM FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE)  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

With fellow steelbeastsplayers we a currently running a 6 mission SB campaign set in Finland in Winter 2019.

We play the role of a EU/NRF batte group supporting finnish defence effort.
(detailed campaign info at: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=21397

"Team Blue"(the players):

And "Teanm RED", the evil enemy, skripted AI:

At the start of the campaign this was the situation:

The Fins had stopped the initial enemy attack.
Enemy has moved an follow up Division north IOT outflank the PORI and KARELIAN Brigades.
Our Batte groups moved into the KOUVOLA area to counter that enemy move.
The first to reach the area are the mixed recon BN and FINBAT(finnish light infantry BN)

So our first mission we took seats in the light vehicles of the mixed recon BN with the orders to screen FINBATS defence preperations, establish contact with the enemy and deploy long range recon teams.

We played this one with 22 players.
Server and teamspeak was provided by PzBtl-911 (www.steelbeasts.org)

Mission name: "A dance with the dragon"

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 01/22/15 08:09 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4067839 - 01/22/15 08:14 PM Mission One: [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Played on 102100Zjan15

We started with 8 Patrols:

2 Finnish patrols with 2xAMV patria each (LAV as lookalike) in the north.
2 UK patrols with 4xCRV(T) each in the center

and 2 Danish(EAGLE IV) and 2 Norwegian(Iveco LMV) Patrols in the south

Fins and britsh where supposed to do some "agressive" patroling IOT deny enemy recon accees to the AIRFIELD of SELÄNPÄÄ
While the DK and NOR patrols should quietly slip in an deploy scout teams to keeps contact with the enemy.

Movement forward when smooth in general. Only the danes lost the fight against the finnish terrain and got 2 EAGLES stuck.

While in the north the brits and fins encountered enemy recon elements and made short work of them:

Finish AMV hits and BRDM

CRB(T) literaly runs into and enemy Patrol. The Rarden proved useful at point blank range :-)

But also at long range kills (nearly 2 km) a good show from the brits:

In the south the Norwegians stumbled across an enemy BRDM 2 patrol and only a quick deployment of smoke and a liberal dose of 12.7 rounds saved them:

After PL 3, finnish and UK vehicles got close to the enemy staging area near the Town of KÄÄPÄLÄ, and contacts got more intense:

The Scimitars dispatced another enemy recon Patrol and where able to take out a SMALL FRED radar:

Unfortunatly this drew the attention of an enemy CRP, consiting of the tanks:

And the scimmies took some heavy loses:

But this caused enough distraction for the finnish patrols to infiltrate(pic show an AMV 500 from the enemy staging area):

Also in the south, despite some problems:

The recon units managed to deny enemy recon , and got scout teams close to the enemy combat units:

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 01/24/15 08:02 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4067864 - 01/22/15 08:55 PM Re: Mission One: [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

This week, at 242100Zjan15 mission 2 will be played.
In-Game time will be at the next morning after the recon mission 110800jan19.

The enemy moved with his lead BN against FINBAT and in the south towrads KOUVOLA.
Here, SWECOY, a swedish detchment from the "P7"-regiment will try to stop an enemy BMP-3 BN ...stay tuned :-)

Mission 2: "Skjaldborg"

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 01/22/15 08:57 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4068168 - 01/23/15 01:29 PM Re: Mission One: [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Standing Ready, Sar!

Katie is leading so.....
WE'RE DOOMED!!

skyisfalling

smile

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4068220 - 01/23/15 02:58 PM Re: Mission One: [Re: Ronin_GE]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Excellent AAR Ronin.

#4068315 - 01/23/15 05:54 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Kingtiger made a solid plan. I'm optimistic :-)

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4068469 - 01/23/15 11:00 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Duke911 Offline
Schlappeseppel
Duke911  Offline
Schlappeseppel

Hessen/ Germany
Servus Ronin,

very good AAR.
And this evening we have some fun with the BMPs.

See you

Cheers Duke

#4068785 - 01/24/15 07:17 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Superb AAR.

#4068923 - 01/24/15 11:47 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Sooo, we did it.
SWECOY still at 70% strength (ok, that'd be after the repairs ;-) ) and we have beaten up a whole BMP(+) BN!!

Stand by for AAR

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 01/25/15 10:05 AM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4070245 - 01/27/15 08:51 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

puh, didn't have time to write an AAR yet. I uploaded an video of the MAP view with all enemy icons shown.
Hope to get the AAR done this weekend.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4072558 - 02/01/15 10:15 PM AAR mission 2 "Skjaldborg" [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

*note: we played with enemy mapupdated switched off, so any red units shown on the map would have not been visible during the game. We had to rely completely on other players SITREPs

Played on 242100Zjan15. "In game time": 100830Zjan19

After the succesful recon mission on 091600Zjan19 (played at 102100Zjan15) the enemy geared up for an attack.
(endstate mission 1 here: Mission 1, AAR @this thread

2 Regiments advanced west. In the North an Mechanized Rifle Rgt(BTR) aiming towards HAAPALA-SELÄNPÄÄ(airfield)-VOUHIJÄRVI.
Left of the the enemy main effort, a mechanized Rifle Rgt equiped with BMP-3 and T-90.
The possible CoA's of the enemy: Attack towarads KOUVOLA and outflank PORI-Brigade or move further Northwest and securey the Roads over JAALA IOT make a wide flanking move towards LATHI.

The SWECOY arrived first in the AOR and prapared their defences to stop the enemy lead Battailion in and around the area of KEISANMÄKI.
We where to deploy at an defensive on the right of FINBAT (light infantry) to block the (only) suitable terrain for a quick mechnized assault. Our right flank would be overwhatched by recon units.(During this game manned by Joona, who had to take command there on the fly, and did a good job!!)

at 0800Z we received reports that the enemy attack was on the way. mission time started 0820Z with us moving into positions.

Kingtiger made an exellent battle plan:
Establish a time limited defence just west of URO. Then fall back over 2 Phase-lines and finaly stop the enemy attack at the railway line behind KORVENLAITA using artillery an engineer support.

My platoon (1st plt, Strv122) was initially deploy at BP "Berlin" to our right was 4th plt, mechnized Inf , left of us in BP "Paris" was 2nd plt( also Strv122) and the extrme left, keeping liason to FINBAT was the 3rd plt (CV90).

At 0820Z it was still pretty dark in Finland so we had to rely on NVG to find move into the BP's:

From BP Berlin we would be able to engage into teh engament areas (EA) Black and White and also into NAI(named area of interest) Poltava. The company was set up that the platoons could lay crossing fires in front of each other.
This would the enemy a warm greeting then he comes through the forests. They would still struggle to get into formation while we could concentrate fire on their lead units.

Initially the tanks paltoon stayed "turret down" while the CV90 platoons would overwhatch. but on the right an enemy recon patrol stumbled into 4th platoon.

And where dispatched.

On the left 3rd platoon made sure that recon does not get good view of our tanks:

Soon after that 4th platoons sentinel post (manned by Connaugh in his CV90) called out BMPs, so we (1st platoon) moved into BP-Berlin to engage.

And A few minute later I spotted one infront of 4th plt. And sent him my regards thumbsup

Meanwhile our left neigbor is also engaged by enemy Infantry near SOPANEN:

The AAR file shows at this moment, an enemy company(+) in the woods near NAI Poltava, and a futher enemy company east of URO as a covering force. SITREPS during game only indicated the southeast.

Also completely unnoticed by us, recon patrol sneaked past us.

But this was not of concern yet, as 1st platoon cycled though our ready-racks pretty quickly and still more and more contacts showed up at NAI Poltava. W guessed that this would be the enemy main effort there :-P

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4072568 - 02/01/15 10:27 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

My tank in Position, not perfect, but I'd be able to pull back if engaged and the trees might at least block out some ATGM fire when retreating.

To our right 4th platoon engages BMPs that managed to get through our fire and moved out of the treeline.

But Connaughs position was to open, and he get killed by an Tube-lauched ATGM from a BMP-3

We tried to cover 4th plt with fire:

Left of us 2nd platoon spots enemy tanks south of SOPANEN and engages them.

...to be continued

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 02/01/15 10:28 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4073813 - 02/04/15 08:00 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

These enemy tanks Near and south of SOPANEN occupied a support by fire position and tried to engage our 1st and 2nd platoon.
Also their main effort pushed more and more AFV trough the chocke points.
2nd platoon leader(Froggy) in his position:

We(1st plt) enegage enemy Tanks in NAI Poltava

There were comming faster then we could shoot them, and soon enough they found us and started shooting back.
This time the our plt-sgt's(ERAZOR) armour held.

This hit and the Sabot round just missing my tank, convinced our platoon leader (Falli) that we overstayed our Welcome here.
With our ammo running low, Xo supports us with fire IOT achieve a short break with the enemy.

While falling back, our plt-sgt get hit just below the uparmored front slope and into the hull-bunker.
The red flammes spilling out of the TC hatch tell us that we don't need to look for survivors :-(

We a falling back, and with the Xo on our left we try to establish a new BP, as I only have 2 rounds left in the ready rack, I tell Falli that I need to reload pretty urgently!

Meanwhile further to our left, 2nd platoon didn't manage to break contact yet, and is getting hit in front and flank. They lose their platoon leader.

3rd platoon, after slotting several BMP-3, gets hit and takes casualties. they have to give up their BP too.

More BMP-3 show up.

They now have on Company on our left, fixing 3rd and 2nd plt, they also have pushed at least 1-company(+) through Poltave and EA white.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4074324 - 02/05/15 10:09 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Though 3rd platoon keeps up the fight for a bit longer, our left wing is pushed back steadily

With our first line away, the enemy(having taken quiete some losses) tries to introduce his reserve company.
For this engineers with MT-55 deploy bridges to bring them forward. We can do nothing against that.(Our arty is busy with covering our retreat)

One for us :-)
The enemy fires at the abandoned 2nd plt-ldr tank...and hits one of his own in the process. One less BMP to worry about neaner

Time to look a 1st pltoon again.
We managed to pull back, and Hedgehogs guns put a nice smoke screen in front of us. Xo supports us on the left, 4th platoon is taking mounted and dismounted BP to our right. We are set up again

dismounts of 4th platoon in position in front of us seen trough my GPS

Now the enemy reenforcements move towards the MT-55 bridges now. FINBAT is still able to do something about that.
Just south-west of SOPANEN an enemy BMP gets a surprize from the Sky. I just love the Spike missle. Good job by the finnish ATGM-team

Now the enemy gets unsporty :-(
With us under preasure, they rush an airmechanized assault just over our heads. That will be a nasty surprize for our reach echelon.

Also an enemy company(+) bypasses the now un-overwhatched minefield south of URO.

This mean 1st platoon is in buisiness again ready
And here they come:

My loader just says *Scheiße*...he just had filled up the ready-rack. Gonna be a hard day for him.

Lucky for us they have to come down trough the samll gap left and right of that house, we can concentrate our fire there.
And we have an other problem. The enemy recon that has bypassed earlier shows up just behind us help
But our LogPack is up for it!!!
If you follow that line of "power-poles" right of the BRDM2, you can see TAC197 in his Wisent-ARV.
Handing out good news, 12.7mm type, to the enemy.

And Tac's POV:

Fruther north 2nd platoon also is in their new positions and are engaging the new enemy company(at least we think so)

We( 1st plt) are getting under preasure now. We start to assume enemy main effort happens directly under our nose!

I have my lucky moment here as an enemy round slams into my hull front, but at the uparmoured frontslope and at very shallow angle...it leaves at deep cut, but I stay operational...I don't need to tell my driver its time to move!!
We also try to contact Xo to inform him we are falling back, but we get no response. He didn't make it sigh

CO call's us, informing us that he sent LogPAck to resupply us in our current position.
We tell him that this is not a good plan and they should stay the hell away from us, We are making a runner

Now we really need some Arty to cover us...and the guns do their job well.

10 minutes later.
Left of us 2nd platoon and the boss falling back trough the gaps in our minefield, BMPs still in pursuit.

And to our right 4th plt has a run in with another enemy recon team.

In both engaments SWECOY stay victoriuos.
The pursuing enemy soon finds one of our mines...

...using his tracks to detect it hahaha

20 minutes later all SWECOY callsigns are behind our mines, and the enemy attack is halted.
Only some CRP tries to keep contact with us.
One CRP comes close...and the Boss(Kingtiger) has to work himself

At the end:
enemy BMP battailion down to 30% thumbsup
We took some losses, wounded but after recovery and repairs SWECOY is still in fighting shape

Bad is only: enemy Airmechanized units landed EAST of PAHASAARI, so DANCOY will not come to reenforce us but they have to attack the enemy landing.

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 02/05/15 10:26 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4074331 - 02/05/15 10:33 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Perhaps you missed the other Logpack element providing impromptu air defence for the CT commander. smile

I'll get a Polaroid from the vehicle commander.

See you Saturday night.

Last edited by Gibsonm; 02/05/15 10:42 PM.

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#4074438 - 02/06/15 06:12 AM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Gibsonm]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

WoW...maschinegunning enemy choppers and still time to take a picture grunt

There was a lot happening in this mission. I had to boil it down a bit, or It'b have been 120 screenshots

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4074439 - 02/06/15 06:41 AM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Well I had to choose between this and a snap of throwing main gun rounds to the vehicles in their fighting scrapes ready to face the foe, near MUNSTER. smile

Last edited by Gibsonm; 02/06/15 06:43 AM.

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#4074453 - 02/06/15 08:20 AM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Poor Co/F team stuck in the middle of a Russian horde....
Still they have 72hrs worth of tea, so they should be ok for the moment.

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4075571 - 02/08/15 04:48 PM Re: FINLAND Campaign (steelbeasts pro PE) [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Mission 3 is done:

Mission 3 Graphic and written OPORD

SELÄNPÄÄ airfield was held against the enemy attack.

Video accounts of the action:

And here:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQlpEfK8e8#t=3069[/video]

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 02/08/15 06:20 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4077698 - 02/12/15 09:00 PM KOLMESATAAKUUSIKYMMENTÄ, mission3 AAR [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

The Order from Zipuly where clear:

C-platoon was to establish contact with the enemy east of the airfield.
Both to slow them down, and to determine the enemy main effort.
After that C falls back, and A and B defend shoulder to shoulder.
A and B would be supported by the AT-platoon that is fighting from 2 Positions at the Runways(north and south)

C-would fall back to the reserve area, and link up with the incomming tank platoon...together with them C would be ready for counterattack in support of A or B

D, our Mortar plt(81mm), would be firing from posions D1 or D2 IOT support the defence.
Also the 9 Tubes of the BN's mortar company are staioned around SELÄNPÄÄ and provide support with heavy(120mm) mortar fire.

And finaly, the recon team K2 and K3 will overwatch the Flanks, north and south.

A few minutes into sce, start K2 reports contact with dismounts in the north, also C-plt has spots enemy dismounts and opens fire against them.
The map view for our CO(Zipuly) looked like this:

Thats the same map with all enemy shown:

The firefights the intensify, and C-plt as well as elemts from A pin the enemy down for a while.

In the south K3 deployed its small UAV to have a look at the Road 369(main road south of the airport)
There they spot a BTR company(+).

Zipuly guesses that they want to bypass in the south and order B-plt(commanded by Tac197) to block that move.

Here they still move, overwatched by K3

And here they come.

But they will get a nice present. The little rectangular board you see(right of the power-pole)...is an aim-marker for the blast-mine we burried earlier wave

Here Tac197's men get themselfes into position:

And just as No2 get hit by our mine, No1 eats an RPG to its face (we used the AT-5 as stand in for the APILAS)

The enemy column is halted, and they receive another RPG...this time a stationary a target

Now they dismount, and try to get guns to the front:

And Tac's ambush starts to take casualties too.

But the enemy is stopped and piled up...thats what the Mortars where waiting for winkngrin

Never the less, sheer weight of numbers force B-platoon to give ground in the south.

In the center C have now mounted up and are making a fighting withdrawel towards A and B

While in the south, the 1st BTR's managed to get past B(pretty close call for K3 too :-O )

Our main Problem is: the Sisu-Pasi (ok, we used the Fuchs as a lookalike) only has a 7.62mm MG, while the BTR sports a heavy 14.5mm MG (or MK), direct encounters do not end in our favor.

With C fallen back, and B-engaged by BTR and Tanks, Trouble comes to A in the north too.

The enemy has used the infantry cover to bring in heavies. And used the to "shoot his attack forward".

Directly from the north, we have been flanked to. A platoon and the AT-teams are forces to fight into all directions now.

Now where the Hell is our Tank support!!?

Not here yet, so A has to fight on its own.

But the ERA protection shruggs of A's RPG.
While A's APC's fall victim to the 125mm gun.

At least the Jägers are able to imobilize one of the attackers, and are also able to pick of some of their infantry cover.

Still ERA remains are mayor obstacle

Directly at the Runway, the northern section of the AT-platoon is engaged from 2 sides.
From the south, tanks move onto the airfiled

And the tandem Warhead of the Spike makes short work of the 1st one:

He wingman shoot at what he thinks is the attacker, but only hits an empty APC

Seconds later he joins his platoonleader

AT-plt's NLAW team are at the same time in a firefight with infantry and BTR from the north.

They pick off the BTR's.(note: the "green-line" shows the path of the HEAT-spike in this picture. The NLAW has a top-attack heat warheat...here it puches directly through the turret, igniting stored ammo and toasting the vehicle

But the situation does not look to good for the AT-guys

And a bit further south, the command team itself are in a firefight with enemy infantry, who now control the whole area east of the airport.

Thats when finaly the Cavalery arrived charge

...tbc

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 02/12/15 09:06 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.