Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
#4062645 - 01/11/15 08:48 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

*Informative* Since I (dear lord) forgot to save at the exit I had to reload a previous state (not too much, a week or two) and redo the missing days- I swear I tried NOT to take advantage and in any case it wouldn't have mattered as the fuzzy logic implemented meant that some thing went different any way... So, that said , I'm in the process of writing what happened. *End Informative*

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4062660 - 01/11/15 09:54 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

In just few days more than a week we manage to break them.

The Militia Division stuck in our encirclement is cornered. Minus some hundreds of dead, most of them is broken by the merciless June sun plus the precise sniping fire of our Regular Soldiers. Falling back their last defense ground they'll be prisoner pretty soon...

The only thing that left me curious was that unit trying to force the encirclement open.
They withdrew with way too much haste. A part of me is convinced they KNEW the trapped division was lost and that was useless to fight over it.
But that would require superior discipline and a certain amount of skill. Can that mean a properly trained division lay hidden among the "mob"?

This could mean a tough wake up call to our guys.
Despite a segment of proper regular infantry most of our expedition force is militia with little training and dubious military value. Put
against their Ethiopian equivalent, they work just fine but...

Alas, let's push forward.

In the north the momentum we gained seems unstoppable as regiment after regiment flee with quite a light resistance, if any.

What's worrying is that our supply lines are getting stretched across a terrain that's really unfavorable to our motor carriages are troubled by the harsh terrain, much less than the enemy mules...

Wonder if the rapid fallback is actually a tentative to cut us off the Ed port in the north; as a good measure I double the threats on the population and rewards for moles. Results are encouraging as a dozen spies and wanna-be sappers get caught and sentenced every week before they manage to attack our supply columns...

Back in the south, the Ethiopians have finally reached their last friendlies on the shallow plains of Gaalkacyo. Even numbering in excess of sixteen thousands souls, they are no match as their morale is broken and the will to fight left them. It's almost painful to watch them fall like that. After a single day worth of fighting they give up en masse and surrender.
Making us a favor and simplifying out southern front a big deal.

If only this feeling would leave me alone- despite the heat I can feel some cold shivers down my back.

Nevertheless I reorganize the troop displacement...

and order another push. A Gods' eye view.

From the diaries of Armando Resta Fondelli Togni.
"Iddì dodici di Luglio, Anno del Signore 1936, is almost at the end, the sky get's dark real fast.
The sun is the bright eye of an angry God setting in the distance- finally giving us a bit of rest and slightly less hot breeze timidly caressing the back of our sweaty necks.
The dark blue of the sky in the east is like a painted cup, dotted by shivering stars, slowly being overturned far above our heads.

The sight is so beautiful that for a moment I let my inner guard down and forget for a second my fears and doubts.
I light my heath pipe and long for a cold beverage- Any would do really. I start thinking that maybe after the forced marches and the fighting we'll manage a couple of good nights of sleep-

And that's exactly the moment Ruggiero Caligeri, the young Aide-de-Camp boy, rushes in. Troubled and pale in the face. My guts squeeze themselves hard.

Attaccano Comandante! In FORZE!"

With a mostly unexpected move a very silent formation appeared and attacked our weakest link in the southern front while another, larger, formation engages it's flank.

I immediately order the right flank to halt their advance and try to cut the back of the attacking forces, but it's a race against time...

Enemies are pushing surprisingly hard and show an unusual amount of Elàn...

Last edited by komemiute; 01/11/15 10:32 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4062672 - 01/11/15 10:59 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

The troops in the north face quite the opposite situation as they keep and keep on advancing.

If they could manage this pace we'd be in the capital Addis Abeba in less than a month.
But even if un-bothered by enemy attacks our supplies started to dry out to a trickle, drops of resources destined to quench a logistical thirst that can't be satisfied that way.

Back in the south I try and reroute all the possible units that could bring some relief to a front that's being weakened hour after hour.

Reports are talking about the Emperor's Guard. The most Elite formation in the Ethiopian army attacking our weakest Militian one. There's some spy-ass whipping in the coming---

The effort in bringing support and reinforcement to the overwhelmed units is nothing short than Monumental...

But it's all in vain.
In the end those beaten men got to retreat and reorganize before they're all lost.

Luckily the nearby region falls to our attack and now we can think about some more encirclement of god-forbidden Ethiopians. Elite or not, they aren't superhumans and a bullet between the shoulder blades ought to do it...

And finally the report comes in.
Addis Abeba fell.

The capital is ours- the last pockets of insurgents are being taken care of and soon there'll be peace in this sad horn of Africa.

(Also situation in the south was hairy enough I totally forgot to take proper screenshots of the attack :P )

The final Victory report and the easy choice- Annexation.

Last battles die out...

Final political view of a peaceful country, once again. cool

-continues-

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4062674 - 01/11/15 11:06 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I must be honest now- my nation is now at peace and that means a lot of trouble for me.
The industry has to be converted and the whole nation demobilized or I incur in tremendous economic losses (which is both credible and justified) but that means a lot of my troops have to be reduced to reserves.

On the other hands I can concentrate all of my efforts in pushing the Italia to new heights of splendor through technological innovation and research.
But frankly I'm stuck thinking out how to proceed from here.

We'll see. smile I'll surely get this back in a day or two- I've been beaten by a weak but really annoying flu. *surprise rhyme!*

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4063689 - 01/14/15 11:20 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Thinking out loud- feel free to add your conclusions:

The main problem for me is trying to Not-Metagame.
I mean, it's very hard for me not to put historical events into consideration when thinking about my soon-to-follow steps...

I would LOVE to be able to detach my knowledge (which is not splendorous, but not to shabby either) of historical events of those years from my mental processes- to be surprised by alliances and political back-stabbings.
I just can't. In a way I feel like I'm cheating but considering the abysmal strength of the Italia of those years, it may be seen as a justifiable leveling factor.

That aside, this is what I'm going to go for in the next few days.

Military segment:
Foreign

- Removing the bulk of my Italian born regular forces from the Horn of Africa.
- Transition to local regular forces, thus getting rid of Militia.
National
- Transition of all the army stationed at the French border to the North Eastern one (Austria/Slovenia).
- Reduce military spending by cutting number of Divisions, keeping the best fit ones (Mountain troops, Artillery)
- Try to transition Cavalry to Mechanized.

Political segment:
- keep aligning the Political axis toward the English Democratic one (aim is to- should WWII break out- be on the British/Allied side).
- Strengthen commerce with aligned partners.
- Keeping un-aligned trade partners relationship from degrading (but some Right-extremists nations have already pulled from trading agreement since I started changing my leaning).

Industrial segment:
- Drop Military Research completely.*
- Push hard for industrial development.*
- Push medium for infrastructure restoration and development in the African territories.

Luckily all of this is doable as there's virtually no overlapping.
Being out of a state of War allow me to better use resources to create rather than support.

I guess we will see how much the Fuzzy logic will hinder my plans!

*This is allegedly easy as being relatively early on and IF WWII breaks out around the '39-'40 I'd have enough time to have all the technical/industrial development to upgrade (the few) professional units I still maintain in little time.
I also hope to amass a small fortune in cash- that's always handy as a buffer when entering again a state of War.

Last edited by komemiute; 01/14/15 11:22 AM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4064009 - 01/15/15 12:59 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
So far so good. Well done in Ethiopia, komemiute.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next 2-3 years.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4064139 - 01/15/15 09:54 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Thanks Para_B.

I'll be giving it a spin tonight, if everything works well.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4064158 - 01/15/15 11:41 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Quote:
Drop Military Research completely

I wouldn't, not completely, look at the allies tanks in WW2 they were....sub-par.
I'd Push "light".

just my 2 cents

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4064190 - 01/15/15 01:21 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@ Comrade Hedgehog: Appreciated! smile Don't worry.
You see, it's not a decision I took lightly.
One reason is, as the main Allied nations (France Great Britain, USA and Canada) have the necessity to keep up with the war machines, I'm convinced I can stay out of the fray, being a small "useless" country, long enough to come up with a very specialized army.

Another part of the reasoning comes from the past technological knowledge of Italian eggheads.
This is represented in game by several numbers (Screenshot to come) that explain how much of the practical research has become theoretical knowledge. Infantry theory, Armoured theory, aviation- there's a lot of fields to research.

Putting even just a bit of what little I have, in that sea of despair, would quite put a strain on my wobbly research infrastructure without achieving anything.

I really need to focus hard on reinforcing it, as to make i able to sustain a more serious load.
Seriously, some screenshots are necessary to try and understand how FRIGGING big is this game's tech tree.
I've a nation with very very little knowledge whatsoever in the military field.
Trying to fit the foot in too many shoes will just slow down every research.

Trust me, I wish I didn't have to- But if I'm granted a bit of luck by lady-fuzzy-logic I'll be war free for long enough to have completed a decent amount of "civilian/industrial" discoveries and start again with military ones.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4064247 - 01/15/15 02:39 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Maybe you can pull a Franco and stay out of the war altogether smile

I don't know this game at all. Is it inevitable that Germany will go to war with other nations and provoke a world war? I would imagine that certain events are "hard-coded" otherwise it could be a war-game without a war!

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4064264 - 01/15/15 03:09 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Heheh, I share your doubts.
You see, it's my first ever play at this game- maybe I shouldn't have made an AAR of my first game ever, I really know only what very little the insufficient manual can tell me.
:P Probably it's a stretch to make this AAR, I feel like I should have played a bit more before all this...
I still thought that since Italy at world war II was a total noob- I would have fit quite well as a leader.

Back on topic, I've seen some logical events happening- the initial treat between Germany and Czechoslovakia, IIRC there's some "love letters" between Germany and Austria- and something with Spain being torn apart by civil war.

We will see... I'm really curious about the invasion of Poland and the Operation Sealion! biggrin

So far my opinion of this game is pretty damn positive.

There's micromanagement (that I LOVE), but that can be assigned to the AI too; there's tons of data to lose yourself into (even if sometimes I wish for something more specific, when it comes to some fields); there's a great deal of technicalness when forces ratio are calculated for combat- it's SURPRISINGLY deep!
Plus the code is as stable as it can get- Never had any issue whatsoever- which for such a complex game is a victory by itself.

On the other hand- there are some things I can't comprehend. If most of my Army branches are armed with one same specific rifle and I research for one of those a new gun- why do I have to research the same very rifle for each and every one of those branches?

So far the positive sides far, FAR, outweighs the few and scattered apart negative ones.
I mean, this games managed to detach me from Elite. That goes a LONG way, in my book.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4064299 - 01/15/15 04:19 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Keep posting the good, the bad and the ugly!
I'm enjoying it all so far smile

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4065050 - 01/17/15 11:55 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: Cold_Gambler]  
Rask Offline
Rask  Offline

Originally Posted By: "Cold_Gambler"
Is it inevitable that Germany will go to war with other nations and provoke a world war?

If the AI plays Germany then yes it will go to war in 90% of the cases. But nothing is really set in stone in this game. You can have a lot of fun with alternative (and mostly totally unrealistic) history. For example as Germany i was once able to pull the US into the Axis, which turned out to be quite a fun game. Seeing the US invade Canada made me chuckle.
In another game i managed to make the UK start WW2 by having them declare war on Germany, without Germany ever get involved with Poland.
Of course you need to play as one of the major powers to change the course of WW2 significantly. But having said that, playing as Argentina and trying to conquer the US is a fun challange smile tanksalot

#4065311 - 01/18/15 12:01 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

After getting rid of all the Militian formations (that were basically just eating up resources and money while providing very little security...) I make sure whatever regular forces left are reorganized as to protect the most valuable assets on the Horn of Africa.

In mainland I move all my forces toward the Austrian/Slovenian border...

Production of those Armoured/Mechanized units is almost over...

Brilliant! Finally some proper research are completed successfully.

On the other hand, the final capitulation of Spain is complete...

(Short turn
today, I know- I also fear next weeks, in game, are going to be somewhat bland and boring... :P )

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4065780 - 01/18/15 11:13 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Another month gone with little to report.

Main news on the mouth of everyone is how Germany is tying bonds with like-minded Nations.

I have reorganized enough my troops in Africa and decided to pull off some of my most expert divisions for the Mainland.
(In complete truth losing this "Colony" wouldn't be that much of a blow...)

I move transport to provide transportation to the troops...

And off they go, back home guys!

Exactly... here!

Actual political alignment...

There! More news from the Research and Development!
Theory is always good...

Again, I'm sorry for the occasional reader this is boring- but it's actually quite tense to play it.
I'm inching, crawling toward a better, more sustainable economy/industry scared by (and trying to change) my actual political axis (VERY Extreme right) that literally puts me between a rock and a hard place.

smile

Thanks for reading, I promise I'll try to do something grand with this...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4065955 - 01/19/15 08:54 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Can you crop the screenshots with status messages, so we can see them in this thread without having to enlarge the picture?
They all get downsized, after all.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4065961 - 01/19/15 09:28 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

:P Right you are. Sorry! biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4066470 - 01/20/15 08:58 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Next week, Duce, we will invent........the Electric Kettle!

:P

(Dunno why but I seem to think of Kerbals in games like these.)

Last edited by Comrade_Hedgehog; 01/20/15 08:59 AM.

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4068424 - 01/23/15 09:12 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Boy... Peace is REALLY BORING! :P

#4068434 - 01/23/15 09:31 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Another month- another little advance.
Not much.

This is my most dangerous front - against Austria and its friends (Germany, Japan, Czechoslovakia...).

One of the many feature of this game is the amazing amount of different filters you can apply to show selected info superimposed on the main map...

The weather filter: this is a HUGE stormfront sweeping across southern Europe I managed to notice...

The infrastructure filter: How are roads, connections, services...
In Italy

Northern Africa (One of my colonies)

And the Horn of Africa...

You may notice there's some work to do... rolleyes banghead

This is part of the Theoretical branch of the Tech tree.
As you can see there's just another tech tree (and usually more complex even) for each of the tabs on top (Infantry, Armour, Escorts -not what you may think :P and on...)

Speak of the devil, infantry finally got its new rifle:
These are the end bonuses- it will take time, though, to retrofit all the grunts. Usually couple of months IF they are within the Nation soil.

Then finally our military theorists finalized the concept of Engineer Brigade, opening a new dev branch for related technologies, like improvised barge bridges and on- all to be researched.

This game is the heaven for micromanagement morons like me! biggrin (Mind you, all can just be given to the AI, if you can't be bothered...) and hell for OCD's. It's full of tiny idiosyncrasies...

Industry Tech branch:

While I wait for Advanced Civil Engineering to be researched- that will allow me to improve the disastrous infrastructural system- I mass produce AAA sites to be distributed later on the Northern front.

A bit hard to spot, but there they are...

After the AAA I have to empower out industrial might- roll of the factories!

That's it for another slow month.
I wonder how much I can use to push improvements before spirits will start to heat up...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.