Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4071268 - 01/29/15 04:12 PM Re: The Camel [Re: jmatt]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou and Robert,Very informative videos and advice. Thanks for the posts!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4071981 - 01/31/15 03:51 AM Re: The Camel [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jmatt Offline
jmatt  Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
jmatt;

here is a vid I made of some basic camel manouvers (loop, vertical spin recovery, flat spin recovery). There is no dialogue in it so here is a clue on how it was done.

Thanks so much for the video. Again, I just keep getting the feeling that something just isn't quite right for me. How in the world do you keep your nose into a 30 degree climb at 40 or 50 knots?

I gotta play around with this some more tonight.

#4072683 - 02/02/15 04:34 AM Re: The Camel [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
jmatt Offline
jmatt  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, you should be taking the fight to the vertical as much as you take it to the horizontal, in fact more so.

I'm having trouble with this. It just seems like I can't climb fast enough. I started flying QC with a wingman and he doesn't seem to have trouble maintaining the same altitude as the DR1.

But it's not the stick, it's me. I tested if I could climb at 30 degrees or so even at just 50 knots and I can. But until he comes down to my altitude, it just seems like he's always able to hover way over head. That's why I was asking about flaps.

#4072796 - 02/02/15 02:50 PM Re: The Camel [Re: jmatt]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

jmatt, the AI DR1 pilots will often just sit and hover above you and not come down to play until they see an advantage, and even then they may not. Because the DR1 can keep up with the Camel in a climb you will have nothing but frustration trying to reach one above you if they are climbing with you. As to the AI Camel driver maintaining the same alt as the AI DR1 pilot, that is simply because the computer knows exactly how far it can push the planes to get max performance out of them. This is what you will also need to learn. There is a very fine line you have to fly in terms of gaining alt as quickly as possible: too low a climb angle and you keep your speed up but at the sacrifice of climb rate; too high an angle and you start to lose speed to the point of poor climb rate as well. All I can recommend is practice until you find the sweet spot, a spot BTW that changes as you gain altitude.

If you want to try and get a high enemy to come down and engage, pull up so you can get a momentary gun solution on them and let go some rounds. My experience has been that after a few such pepperings they will dive on you, at which point you better be ready and then some.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4073048 - 02/03/15 03:39 AM Re: The Camel [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
jmatt Offline
jmatt  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
.If you want to try and get a high enemy to come down and engage, pull up so you can get a momentary gun solution on them and let go some rounds. My experience has been that after a few such pepperings they will dive on you, at which point you better be ready and then some.

Been doing this. Can pop off a few rounds just as I reach stall, then point the nose back at the horizon.

I understand the tradeoff in AOA, speed and climb rate and that it changes with thinner (and even warmer) air, I guess I just have to reconcile myself with the fact that he will always have that advantage. Maybe I'll try goading him down by showing him my six and then right banking into a turning fight.

Once he's at my altitude, I have no trouble downing Rookies. I'll have to work my way up to doing the same with vets.

Thanks again, everyone.

#4073093 - 02/03/15 09:32 AM Re: The Camel [Re: jmatt]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Aaah, very good then, my apologies if it seemed I was preaching to the choir jmatt. Another trick you can try is to lower your fuel load, though I do recommend learning to fight with a full tank as it only gets easier the less fuel weight you're carrying, (marginally easier mind you).

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80