Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4062717 - 01/12/15 01:26 AM Questions about the Obutto oZone  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Hi all.

I haven't been active in here for a while.
About 2-3 years ago, I build an ABC simpit. I used it for quite a while and enjoyed it very much.
However, I never found a good seat for it.

My ABC was set up for both racing and flying, with a slide-able rudder / pedals arrangement.
I'm currently thinking about buying the oZone, but I would very much like to be able to fly and drive without too much hassle when switching between those two modes.

So: Can I use both my G940 rudder pedals and my G27 racing pedals with the oZone? I was thinking that I could place the rudders near the seat, and the racing pedals behind these, so that I would slide the seat forward when I want to race, and slide it back when I want to fly.

The oZone apparantly comes with a gearshift mount and a "standard" keyboard tray. I thought that I could buy the tabletop for the wheel and H-shifter, and use the gearshift mount for my joystick. If I bought the upgraded keyboard tray, I could use the regular keyboard tray on one side and the updated one on the other, right? Then i would use one of the trays for mouse/keyboard, and the other for throttle and other random stuff :-)

I would be grateful, if those who own the oZone could confirm or deny my thoughts about setting it up?
I know that the r3volution would probably suit my needs more, but I think that it costs too much :-)

Here's two (hideous) paintings to express what I mean:

Would this be practical / possible?
Thank you very much.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4062737 - 01/12/15 03:14 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Or is the r3volution worth the extra $$?
I think, that the ozone fits my idea of mounting the wheel + gearshift on the table better....

#4062824 - 01/12/15 12:38 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
As a former owner of the oZone and current r3volution owner, I'd have to say the r3volution is definitely worth the extra $. It's more stable and much more versatile. The separate monitor stand, the wider space for pedals, and the optional mounts for the 2 acrylic table thingys are a huge plus. In the oZone, my Saitek pedals barely fit. With the r3volution, even my Crosswinds fit ( needed the width adjustment plate tho ).
As to you're idea of putting both pedal set in tandem and just moving the seat fore or aft, that won't work. There's not enough room in either model for that without some modification of the frame itself. Maybe you could remove the Obutto pedal tray and make some kind of sliding mount for both.
Hope these thoughts help. Any other questions, I or someone else would be happy to help.
<s> Bohemond

#4062960 - 01/12/15 04:00 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thank you very much for the answer :-)
If i mounted either the pedals or the rudder a bit farther up than intended, would tandem mounting them be possible? And would the stock r3v be enough for both flying and racing or would i have to buy some of the accessories?

#4063010 - 01/12/15 06:10 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I honestly don't think tandem mounting of pedals would work with either pit. Simply not enough room. At work right now, but as a guess I'd say there's maybe 18-24 inches in depth with the r3volution pedals plate. And maybe 12 inches space from the near side of that plate to the front frame of the seat. Not enough room for any 2 pedals that I'm aware of in tandem.
Both stock Obutto include just the wheel and shifter mounts. For flight simming, I'd have to say the stick and throttle mounts are required. I could have easily just made my own mounts. After spending that kind of money, I figured another $50 or so on the mounts was inconsequential.
If you want more accurate measurements, I could post them later on tonite when I get home from work.
<s>

#4063031 - 01/12/15 07:04 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks. :-)
I guess that I will have to get down and swap the pedals between modes then :-/
As far as I understand by your answer, either the ozone or r3v will do but with the additional stick and throttle mounts. Thanks :-)

#4063077 - 01/12/15 08:55 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Yup, swapping controllers is not an issue on either Obutto. If you don't hard mount the pedals, all it takes is reaching down and moving them from the tray. The stick, throttle, and shifter mounts just need a few turns of a bolt with a star shaped handle. Easy peasy!
Believe me, you won't regret getting either one.

#4063094 - 01/12/15 09:14 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thank you very much :-)
Of course the child in me wants the bigger version

#4063238 - 01/13/15 03:42 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I'm writing back and forth with obutto in europe atm. I might get the r3v instead. Depends on whether they'll let me acoid VAT or not (live in Greenland).

I was thinking about getting the triple monitor arms with it. Would my current system be able to run 3x24"?

Amd phenom II x4 955
XFX radeon HD 6950 2gb
4 gigs of ram
260gb ssd + 2tb hdd

I was thinking normal racing games and fsx on low / average settings.

What would be the most cost effective upgrade to boost my setup?

#4063242 - 01/13/15 03:54 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: jangeisler
I'm writing back and forth with obutto in europe atm. I might get the r3v instead. Depends on whether they'll let me acoid VAT or not (live in Greenland).

I was thinking about getting the triple monitor arms with it. Would my current system be able to run 3x24"?

Amd phenom II x4 955
XFX radeon HD 6950 2gb
4 gigs of ram
260gb ssd + 2tb hdd

I was thinking normal racing games and fsx on low / average settings.

What would be the most cost effective upgrade to boost my setup?

Well, it's not the inch size of the displays that matter, but rather the resolution. I assume those are 1080P displays.

I used to run 4x1080P screens on a Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition card, which has 2gb of Ram... so I think your video card should be able to hack 3 screens as long as you have reasonable expectations. I'm not up on the Phenom processors, so I don't know where you stand there. The 4gb of Ram could stand to be bumped up to at least 6 or 8gb, I'd say.

#4063325 - 01/13/15 11:01 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I was just searching on whether eyefinity or 1 big screen was best for simming, fps and general use. Any takes on this? :-)

#4063368 - 01/13/15 01:51 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Oh, and also; would I be able to use one of the acrylic swivelling tables for the Saitek proflight controls? Would be nice to be able to swivel them around :-)

#4063394 - 01/13/15 02:39 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: jangeisler
I was just searching on whether eyefinity or 1 big screen was best for simming, fps and general use. Any takes on this? :-)

There are a lot of variables. Some games support wide views better than others, for instance. Many games will exhibit stretched distortion on the side screens in an eyefinity 3x1 display setup. It may come down to how demanding you are about what is displayed.

Often times, running the three screens as an extended desktop is actually very nice. Back before I decided I wasn't enjoying Eve Online anymore, I used to run 3 characters/ships simultaneously, working as a team. Typically two Guardians on the side screens keeping the main ship in the center screen's armor recharged, and each other's, too.

3x1 Eyefinity appears to be popular with the sim racing crowd. You can do it with DCS World, but DCS World also lends itself to running 3 camera views on an extended desktop, too.

I'm not really an FPS afficionado, but I would think having increased peripheral vision on the side screens would be an advantage, providing you can keep your frames per second high enough. I can say it was nice in MechWarrior Online, although that is not technically an FPS, it has some similar aspects in play.

1 caveat for Eyefinity mode... If you are running touch screens, you will not have useable touch screen capability while in Eyefinity mode. The computer OS evidently has no way available to map the touchscreen calibrations to the combined display segments to obtain proper results. They work fine with Extended desktop mode though.

Folks using 1 big screen generally seem to be quite with that setup, and they certainly have less monkeying around to do to get working. smile

#4063419 - 01/13/15 03:49 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I couldn't recommend the Obutto Ozone highly enough, I took the plunge a few years ago and bought one and its really helped me enjoy my sims again as its so quick and easy to switch between general use/FPS gaming, racing sims or driving sims. I have a heavy set of Fanatec Clubsport pedals but don't find it a problem swapping them out for my CH Pro pedals. I keep my joystick and throttle stowed on the left side of the cockpit in the holders that fit to the side of the chair and then drop the joystick into the centre mount when needed. My Fanatec Porsche wheel is on a clamp that I hang on the end of the acrylic table top. I'd definitely recommend the table top as it gives you a good working desk configuration for storing paperwork etc.

If you're buying now I would recommend spending the extra on the R3volution as the pedal area/tray is wider than the Ozone and with pedals like the Crosswind, VKB etc you may find in future your options are limited to what pedals you can fit into an Ozone rather than what you would really like to have.

I find the Ozone to be a solid piece of kit, its well made and the only wear on mine is on the seat where the pvc has gone a bit brittle and cracked but its by a window so the sun has done that (unbelievable as that is in the UK). Its a shame really as its not given me the excuse I need to upgrade to a R3volution. The only thing I would change is to raise the seat height up just a few inches for extra comfort.

#4063517 - 01/13/15 09:34 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thank you guys :-)
I think that I will buy the full r3volution package with acrylic tables, HOTAS mount, 3 screen mount and so. :-)
I think that I will use one of the acrylic tables for the Saitek proflight panels, as navigation systems and the switch panel seems nice to have for fsx. Then i can just swivel it away when not using it.

Revvin, thank you very much for the tip about storing the stick on the side next to the throttle :-)

I think that i will buy the full kit when it becomes available in march, and then upgrade it bit by bit. I will invest in 3 screens first (maybe 24"), and then later I will get the Saitek controls - maybe one at the time. Depending on whether my current setup is enough for eyefinity or not. If not, I will have to do a system upgrade before buying flight accessories.

I currently have the Logitech G27 and G940 systems. For now I will have to do with the G940 although it isn't the perfect HOTAS.

Regarding eyefinity, I plan to use 3 screen as a super wide screen when appropriate. When not, I will just use the middle screen and pull the screen a bit towards myself.

#4063521 - 01/13/15 09:43 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
No problem, if anything I could do with an extension rail on the mounting section alongside the seat to fit more mounts to hold things like a gear shifter etc. I've been eyeing up the Fanatec Clubsport Shifter for a while now.

#4063705 - 01/14/15 01:12 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Would be really nice to have an extra mount on the right side, so that a joystick coild be mounted right next to the seat and a gear shifter just next to it

#4064023 - 01/15/15 01:23 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Ozone user here. Yeah I would do what others do and switch from flying mode, driving mode, and mouse and keyboard mode. Doesn't take more than 10 minutes for me.

The center flight stick mount add on is great for flying mode, highly recommend this add on.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4064185 - 01/15/15 01:12 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I seriously considered getting the ozone because its cheaper, but according to reviews the r3v is incomparably better, although the ozone should be just fine

#4064348 - 01/15/15 06:46 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
The Ozone will do everything you need, the only reason I'd buy a R3volution is for the wider pedal tray and as you're a new buyer it's what I'd recommend for future proofing yourself against larger pedal sets coming onto the market, you keep your choices open.

#4064373 - 01/15/15 08:31 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for your thoughts, Revvin. If I choose the r3v it will be because of the better keyboard tray, the seperate monitor stand (racing wont make the monitors move), the 2 tables, and the more customizable wheel mount. Other than that the ozone is just a good choice for me. I was thinking that since I'm already puttibg a lot of money into this, I might as well get the best I can get. Of course, if you can talk me out of this I will appreciate the savings, but I've heard that the r3v is so much better that they aren't really comparable. Anyone who've tried both have an opinion on this?

#4064411 - 01/15/15 09:54 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Would it be possible to do something like this with the oZone?
(the joystick would be either in the middle or on the right side, and I might get the new keyboard tray set up either on the left or right side)

#4064418 - 01/15/15 10:17 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Of course the shifter could also be on the right side of the seat, while the joystick is in the middle.
If I chose to get the oZone instead of the r3volution, I would be able to buy 3 screens and the Saitek Proflight controls almost immediately after.

I'm really unsure of which one to get, the r3v or the ozone....

#4064600 - 01/16/15 01:19 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
My advice, get the R3volution and have done with it. You can always upgrade your other gear in stages latter on. That, you really cannot do if you buy the Ozone and later wish you had the R3volution. Just my 2 cents.
<S>

#4064668 - 01/16/15 02:56 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Ayup. The R3volution is a case of improvements made due to lessons learned from the Ozone. It's not just a wider area for the pedals that can accommodate more models of rudder pedals... it's also having the seat not physically tied to the monitor stand, etc.

#4064738 - 01/16/15 05:10 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks guys. That pretty much settles it. I'll have to get the r3v :-)

#4064820 - 01/16/15 08:48 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
You could do what you illustrated with the Ozone, but I concur with the members above and re-iterate what I said before, go with the R3volution for future compatibility with wider pedal sets

#4064963 - 01/17/15 02:40 AM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

When I order the r3volution, I will need to get it shipped to a harbour in Denmark. Before the arrival, I will need to book the shipping of it to Greenland.

Although a bit impractical, I will avoid paying VAT/taxes/duties by getting it shipped directly to the harbour, and sending some documentation on the booking to obutto.eu. (unless of course obutto can ship it more or less directly to Greenland).

So in order for me to estimate the shipping costs from Denmark to Greenland, do you guys know the sizes and weight of the boxes the r3v comes in? I would be happy if you could provide me with the information for the tables, display mounts and HOTAS mounts also :-) It doesn't matter if the specs are in ", cm, lbs or kgs. I will convert them myself :-) I had trouble finding this info by googling.

#4067224 - 01/21/15 07:40 PM Re: Questions about the Obutto oZone [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

FYI, I'm ordering the r3v :-D !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.