Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4061186 - 01/08/15 05:31 PM Su-27 campaign  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I just got the DCS newsletter and for a moment, I was excited about the possibility of firing up DCS again. A campaign for the Su-27? Sweet!

But $10 for a campaign? Seriously? Well, back to E:D then.

If anyone gets this, please post a review and if the $10 is worth it, or if I should wait for a sale. duh

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4061197 - 01/08/15 05:48 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I have zero problem with this. $10 is in the same vein as the Vergeev Group campaign (actually less I think?), and to tell you the truth..at this point I have enough planes (no interest in WW2 stuff). I'll pay $10 multiple times a quarter to have stuff to PLAY. I just wish they'd do a Ka-50 campaign. As someone who has "sat in" on the development of missions (hey Wrecking Crew!), I can attest to how much work goes into these things. And to do voiceovers and graphic art and stuff is a pretty big undertaking. I think back in the Jane's days we all would have hopped onboard to buy campaigns for JF-15 and JF-18 (I always looked at those campaign menus with a bit of sadness that they never filled up with additional content). Anyway - cool project, hope it works out and I hope we see a lot more in the way of quality campaigns. *

* I have not flown the new campaign though - so I'm reserving judgement on the quality issue until I see what they've made.

It does beg the question though - 300 triggers - how are they gonna keep up with that as the Mission Editor evolves? That has been a problem for other mission makers from what I understand..

BeachAV8R

#4061201 - 01/08/15 05:54 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Ghost0815 Offline
Ghost0815  Offline

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R

[..]
It does beg the question though - 300 triggers - how are they gonna keep up with that as the Mission Editor evolves? That has been a problem for other mission makers from what I understand..

BeachAV8R

maybe 300 Triggers / 20 Missions = 15 Triggers .... popcorn

#4061205 - 01/08/15 05:59 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Yeah, that's math alright..but it's still 300 triggers.. LOL...

BeachAV8R

#4061211 - 01/08/15 06:05 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I would have no problems with it if I were still in my DCS phase or if there were nothing else but right now, I think what'll push me over the "DCS edge" again is either a DCS-level Su-27. That would be an instant-buy for me.

What I am worried about though is that this may be a start to a trend? New mission? Pay. New update? Pay. New theatre? Pay. If they've worked out all the troubles with view distance and framerate drops (have they?), then I can see myself re-investing. However, the last time I played, I would get stutter whenever bombs would hit, and this was on a single-player training mission I built and it did not matter if I was 500 feet or 5,000 feet AGL, looking towards or away from the impact site.

- Ice
#4061212 - 01/08/15 06:05 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I'll most likely pull the trigger on this one, once I relearn how to fly the Flanker, because as Beach said, it'll be nice to actually be able to *play* something.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4061218 - 01/08/15 06:09 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Link to the Su-27 The Ultimate Argument campaign.

300 events is not a big deal cool

The 126 voice overs -- now that's a big deal. That is a lot of work.

I just might pop for this, except I don't fly no stenken Russian jets! There are 20 missions... looks like Single Player,,, no Combined Arms. Hmmm, what I'm most interested in is if the mission can be opened and viewed in the ME, if it is protected to some degree. Then, how the object damage is carried over to the next mission. If someone sees a link to more info on this stuff, please post it; I poked around the directories but did not see anything.

WC

#4061220 - 01/08/15 06:17 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Anyone know if ED made this, or is it a 3rd party addition?

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4061240 - 01/08/15 07:05 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  

"DRM key has 3 activations." rolleyes
Welcome in dcs world

#4061245 - 01/08/15 07:19 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: BeachAV8R]  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
I have zero problem with this. $10 is in the same vein as the Vergeev Group campaign (actually less I think?), and to tell you the truth..at this point I have enough planes (no interest in WW2 stuff). I'll pay $10 multiple times a quarter to have stuff to PLAY. I just wish they'd do a Ka-50 campaign. As someone who has "sat in" on the development of missions (hey Wrecking Crew!), I can attest to how much work goes into these things. And to do voiceovers and graphic art and stuff is a pretty big undertaking. I think back in the Jane's days we all would have hopped onboard to buy campaigns for JF-15 and JF-18 (I always looked at those campaign menus with a bit of sadness that they never filled up with additional content). Anyway - cool project, hope it works out and I hope we see a lot more in the way of quality campaigns. *

* I have not flown the new campaign though - so I'm reserving judgement on the quality issue until I see what they've made.

BeachAV8R

+1, $10 for good campaigns of decent length is fine by me, hope it continues!

edit - that being said, if it ended up not working because of changes to the game that would be a serious issue. would be nice if whoever created the campaign would speak to that, might make more people more likely to buy if they knew what kind of support to expect.

Last edited by speck01; 01/08/15 07:24 PM.
#4061251 - 01/08/15 07:32 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
$10 for a campaign that I'll probably get 10-20 hours out of... sounds good to me.

#4061256 - 01/08/15 07:41 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I dont have a problem with campaigns like this for DCS or any sim, $9 is a small amount to pay for something that will give hours of enjoyment. The fact they are selling this would make me inclined to think they have to support this through evolutions of the mission editor and make sure nothing gets broken else it will stop them selling further campaigns as nobody will buy them. You can't sell a product today and then just say in a months time "oh well tough luck we released an update so now that product no longer works". The only thing that bothers me is the three activations, how often if at all will those activations be replenished?

#4061261 - 01/08/15 07:52 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
I am also all for this model of distribution - Microtransactions get a bad name due to them being associated with paid upgrades that are needed to compete in multiplayer arenas. But here it allows to me to -

-Pick up airframes that really interest me at retail
-Pick up airframes that I like on a sale
-Purchase campaigns that I want to fly

But airframes and campaigns I am not interested in are not built into my cost of entry like Lock On or FC2 back in the day. If I have no interest in an MI-8 campaign, I don't have to buy it.

Three things that need to be watched closely though -

-Quality. It's great that they employed voice acting. Voice acting can also be terrible. Read reviews before purchase.
-Balance. They have been very good with realism and fidelity. But balance is always hard. An overpowered platform can cause lots of problems.
-The cost of Maps. Maps are the common playing field and everyone will want them. Not having them can bar access to multiplayer. The price point for content that is considered essential will be crucial. This is the one that worries me. Be careful with this one ED..

Otherwise, bring on the content!

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4061271 - 01/08/15 08:04 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: Revvin]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Originally Posted By: Revvin
I dont have a problem with campaigns like this for DCS or any sim, $9 is a small amount to pay for something that will give hours of enjoyment. The fact they are selling this would make me inclined to think they have to support this through evolutions of the mission editor and make sure nothing gets broken else it will stop them selling further campaigns as nobody will buy them. You can't sell a product today and then just say in a months time "oh well tough luck we released an update so now that product no longer works". The only thing that bothers me is the three activations, how often if at all will those activations be replenished?

The policy for airframe module activations right now is replenish one activation per month AFTER all activations for that module have been used.

So I would imagine they will do the same thing - use up the three, They replenish one a month

I have no idea if they replenish back up to the max or if you operate perpetually at 1 activation from then on. I have never run out.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4061275 - 01/08/15 08:09 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
It's like A3 in most respects. A3MP is a great set of maps, but for some people Altis and Stratis are going to be a default thing (such as the Caucasus for DCS) for most players unless they join a virtual unit or download the maps themselves. But the main difference is cost, in which A3 maps are not sold so you don't have to worry about it. But back to DCS it will be a pain for some virtual units as you have to pay for the maps but again it's just speculation as to what it will cost. If it's reasonable and less than a module then why not? But I also agree if I took a lot of time and cared for the Su-27 I'd probably get it, but I just don't feel that great doing strikes with it. Now if it was an Su-25T campaign I'd probably look into it, or get off my ass and download one off the site.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4061288 - 01/08/15 08:28 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: TankerWade]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: TankerWade
Originally Posted By: Revvin

The policy for airframe module activations right now is replenish one activation per month AFTER all activations for that module have been used.

So I would imagine they will do the same thing - use up the three, They replenish one a month

I have no idea if they replenish back up to the max or if you operate perpetually at 1 activation from then on. I have never run out.

Thanks, it's been a while since I checked, I've not run out of activations on aircraft either but I do have an annoying habit of forgetting to deactivate if I format my Pc or upgrade and then using up an activation when I install again.

#4061290 - 01/08/15 08:36 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: - Ice]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Wow, go figure. "With this, campaign makers will be able to get a small reward for extra good campaigns", and what's the first thing to happen within hours of payed campaigns turning up? ED releasing a $10US campaign for the latest jet they released. I assume this will mean they'll start focusing more on releasing campaigns to raise money then, instead of maybe putting some more focus on say, the F/A-18C, or making the AI even a little smart in dogfights (all the moves they currently clearly illustrates that they think they're in a 4th generation fighter, otherwise I doubt they'd e.g. try to escape from you by climbing straight up into a stall despite the fact that you're very able to climb along) or any number of other things they should be fixing to make this a good sim. But I guess improving the quality of the game is harder to charge for...

This is a new low TBH. Spying on what forum members write on other forums with the stated intent of punishing them if they "step out of line", taking over the RRG operation and slicing backer rewards by 2/3, kicking out 3rd party devs so you can make the module you regretted allowing them to make, etc. and now this. I've never heard of anyone doing cheap things like this, not even with the new DLC culture presented to the gaming community. 2014 was a shameful year, sad to see this starting off 2015 as well.

Last edited by scrim; 01/08/15 08:39 PM.
#4061298 - 01/08/15 08:58 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: scrim]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: scrim
Wow, go figure. "With this, campaign makers will be able to get a small reward for extra good campaigns", and what's the first thing to happen within hours of payed campaigns turning up? ED releasing a $10US campaign for the latest jet they released. I assume this will mean they'll start focusing more on releasing campaigns to raise money then, instead of maybe putting some more focus on say, the F/A-18C, or making the AI even a little smart in dogfights (all the moves they currently clearly illustrates that they think they're in a 4th generation fighter, otherwise I doubt they'd e.g. try to escape from you by climbing straight up into a stall despite the fact that you're very able to climb along) or any number of other things they should be fixing to make this a good sim. But I guess improving the quality of the game is harder to charge for...

Because, you know, coding avionics/ flight models/ ai is *exactly* the same as creating missions and campaigns...

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4061302 - 01/08/15 09:01 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: scrim]  
rjetster Offline
rjetster  Offline

Originally Posted By: scrim

This is a new low TBH. Spying on what forum members write on other forums with the stated intent of punishing them if they "step out of line", taking over the RRG operation and slicing backer rewards by 2/3, kicking out 3rd party devs so you can make the module you regretted allowing them to make, etc. and now this. I've never heard of anyone doing cheap things like this, not even with the new DLC culture presented to the gaming community. 2014 was a shameful year, sad to see this starting off 2015 as well.

Well… Sounds like you got them all figured out.

#4061305 - 01/08/15 09:10 PM Re: Su-27 campaign [Re: scrim]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
@scrim: Do you complain about everything ED does nowadays?

Last edited by Lion; 01/08/15 09:11 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.