Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4057298 - 12/29/14 06:23 PM Went down the rabbit hole did I  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan

It all started to be very simple. The table I was using as a computer desk wasn’t able to accommodate a G27 wheel and I wanted to modify [ i.e. cut into it] so it would work. The wife had other ideas though and said “No way! You can’t do that!” So out of that one sentence my wheel/flight stick stand was born. Little did I know where it would lead and how far down the rabbit hole I would go.

Since, like many others at the time, I was unemployed I needed to keep the cost as small as possible. I had plenty of scrap wood left over from other projects so I started with that. The first version was very rough and was built just to hold the wheel and stick. I also had a Chevy Cavalier seat left over from one of my son’s projects and added that into the mix. The monitor stand was simply the computer table and I could turn it 90 degrees for gaming.

The next version, version is probably the wrong word since I just added on, included a keyboard tray.

Then came triple screens and Thrustmaster MFDs and a semblance of a dash. Still done in wood, press wood at that since that’s what I had on hand.

The next step was adding a platform on the front to hold the PC and the subwoofer as well as a few lights behind the monitors for ambient lighting. At this point it was still relatively mobile and could fit through a door with a minor amount of disassembly.

My journey to the dark side was complete but I didn’t know it yet.

I discovered the enclosed pits of Turbo Corvair, Propnut, and many others. I scoured the interweb using google and bing image searches looking for ideas, drawings, construction techniques, and parts-parts-parts. I combed automotive, plumbing, electrical, and computer modding sites hours upon hours looking for inspiration.
My design wasn’t planned at all I just kept adding wood, wiring, and a thousand screws.

It was a kludge but I didn’t want to start over. So, in my spare time, I began to design a replacement pit that would be modular and easy to take apart and get through the door. That idea is still being worked on.

In between building and design sessions I used the pit almost every day. My grandson loves to come over and drive Dirt3 and F1 2010. He has to sit on my lap as his feet can’t reach the pedals.

The frame for enclosing the beast slowly came together, still made from spare lumber. A million decisions, so it seems, needed to be made. I know that I didn’t want to have just a box. That was a mistake because I don’t have the skills of the artists that have done things like this and I was armed with only a table, circular, and jigsaw. So it took way too long to cut all of the angles I needed and the thing barely fits together. Then what about cooling, in the summer, it’s pretty warm in my office. So I needed to add fans, both intake and exhaust. Finally the basic outside structure was completed and painted. There are many more things I want to do on the outside but those are going to wait until I’m done with the interior.

Next came another million decisions. How to handle the monitors, panels, hardware mounting points and still the adhoc design on the fly approach continued. 3 panels were mounted over the monitors and the various electrical switches were moved from a project box to the 4 overhead panels that I have today. The TIR mount was the next and it too was put on the overhead panel. Speaker mounting was next with the 3 front mounted just above ear level and the rears as well.

Next was the covering for the dash. That is still a work in progress. I still have a ton of work to do and see no end in sight. I have to finish the interior construction, paint it, add back lighting to the panels, improve the door mechanism, and a host of other items.

Anyway, since seeing is believing, construction pictures will follow shortly.

Exterior

Interior

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4057310 - 12/29/14 06:48 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
TM MFDs in a racing cockpit?!!? The horror!

Not to worry though... I'm about to go down the hole again at the start of the New Year. Maybe I'll see you inside! biggrin

- Ice
#4057329 - 12/29/14 07:22 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: - Ice]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: - Ice
TM MFDs in a racing cockpit?!!? The horror!

Not to worry though... I'm about to go down the hole again at the start of the New Year. Maybe I'll see you inside! biggrin

LOL. This is a generic pit meant for:
xwing, tanksalot, driving, tomcat

and.

50cal

#4057340 - 12/29/14 07:39 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Here are some construction pics.

Version 1 wheel stand and flight stick

1st keyboard tray added

Triple screens and ambient lighting added

Subwoofer mounted on front right

PC enclosed on the front and start of remaining frame

Enclosed without paint

Looking down the right side from the front. The antennas are for the wifi router

Right front again. This shows the access door to the PC. The "fin" is removable to allow the door to open.

These are the two exhaust fans. The first larger fan exhaust mostly from the PC area and from behind the monitor. Due to other openings it also exhaust some of the pilot 's area. The green led fan is for the pilot area. The hinges are for lifting up the "hood" to provide further access to the PC, monitors, and electrical items on the overhead panels.

#4057345 - 12/29/14 07:46 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Ah, I see. What I'm REALLY interested in is how you get into and out of the thing!

- Ice
#4057372 - 12/29/14 08:25 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: - Ice]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Ah, I see. What I'm REALLY interested in is how you get into and out of the thing!

If you look at the 1st picture in the first post, the rectangular area on the right with the PVC handle coming out of it is the door. The handle also serves as the latching mechanism. The door is hinged from top to bottom with a piano hinge. The actual opening is about 28 inches wide and 45 inches tall. Ducking is mandatory but not difficult. For me it adds to the immersion that I'm getting into a "real" vehicle. smile

#4057508 - 12/30/14 02:30 AM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
That is nice. I'd love to have something like that.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#4057522 - 12/30/14 03:23 AM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Amazing work!Will look good as a Mechpit!

#4059526 - 01/04/15 05:44 AM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Wait a MINUTE! You're wife wouldn't let you modify the desk so she let build that AND put in the house?! Wha wha wha WHAT?! Nice dude.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4059640 - 01/04/15 03:40 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Cali]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Cali
That is nice. I'd love to have something like that.

Thanks Cali.

#4059641 - 01/04/15 03:41 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: 453Raafspitty
Amazing work!Will look good as a Mechpit!

Thanks 453. I didn't intend for it to look that way but you're right it does look like a mechpit.

#4059644 - 01/04/15 03:44 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
Wait a MINUTE! You're wife wouldn't let you modify the desk so she let build that AND put in the house?! Wha wha wha WHAT?! Nice dude.

Shhhhh.....

I'm not gonna argue with her on this one.

winkngrin

#4059773 - 01/04/15 09:16 PM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: Sabre]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
No don't argue with her ever, happy wife happy life right?

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4060577 - 01/07/15 02:17 AM Re: Went down the rabbit hole did I [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Sabre Offline
Sabre  Offline

USA, Michigan
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
No don't argue with her ever, happy wife happy life right?

You are 100% absolutely correct!

However, Sometimes I just can't help myself. smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.