Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4057007 - 12/29/14 01:24 AM Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I had a good laugh tonight when a northern Californian said the best thing to come out of neighboring Oregon (animosity intact) was the Leatherman Multitool ...

I thought to myself, Those Leathermans do look solid!. thumbsup (I dont currently own one, but I plan to).

I also thought to myself, Great question to field here at SimHQ!. smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4057009 - 12/29/14 01:32 AM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Heres a good one from my neck of the woods ... the G-suit ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_R._Franks

#4057029 - 12/29/14 03:19 AM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Alabama, where innovation meets brilliance.

Supersoakers, the Saturn V rocket, Wikipedia, PVC, Vinyl, Van de Graaff generators, automobile windshield wipers, and about a zillion things from peanuts are all from The Adventure State (official fossil - Basilosaurus cetoides (Zeuglodon))

Personally, I'd of gone with Appalachiosaurus, which is a Tyrannosaur with big arms that could grab its prey: so we invented a whole new category of nightmare.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4057033 - 12/29/14 03:25 AM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Gatorade was invented in Florida. Guess which university it was invented at? smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4057133 - 12/29/14 01:11 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Twin cylinder overhead flywheel steam engine, designed by James Paul of Alexandria in the late 1700s, I have the prototype model.

Denny's Shipyard for: Stabilisers for ships, bulbous bows for ships, first steam turbine passenger ship, first model test tank.
Steamship: Henry Bell of Helensburgh

Television: John Logie Baird was born just a few miles from where I was born.
Refrigerator: William Cullen of Hamilton
Allan Pinkerton of the Pinkerton Detective agency
oldest surviving lunar calendar ( http://phys.org/news/2013-07-scotland-lunar-calendar-stone-age-rethink.html )
US Navy - John Paul

In other places I have lived the chain Harrow was invented in Caithness, also the electric clock and the fax machine was invented by Alexander Bain of Watten. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Bain_(inventor)

If you expand it to include the whole of Scotland ...

Last edited by Alicatt; 12/29/14 01:20 PM.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4057135 - 12/29/14 01:24 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
Pleasant Point, New Zealand. The first heavier than air, powered aeroplane!
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pearse

#4057145 - 12/29/14 01:50 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Plasticine (William Harbutt).
Shorthand (Sir Isaac Pitman).
Bowdlerization (not a "great" invention... but significant and 'popular' at the time).
"Modern" Horror ~ Frankenstein (Author Mary Shelley a local).
National postal service (network distribution, not all directed via Capital ~ Ralph Allen).
Discovery of Uranus (William Herschel).

#4057177 - 12/29/14 02:44 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
jens198 Offline
jens198  Offline

Nuremberg, Germany
The MP3 format was invented in my home town (Erlangen).

Jens

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
#4057182 - 12/29/14 02:55 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: jens198]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: jens198

Jens
I'm sure all of the major record labels are grateful for that. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4057201 - 12/29/14 03:17 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: jens198]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Originally Posted By: jens198

Jens

Don't be shy, tell us about the Lebkuchen and the Bartwurst !

By the way Nuremberg is a very nice town , and very romantic under the snow!

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4057202 - 12/29/14 03:19 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
WOLF257 Offline
Professional Cynic
WOLF257  Offline
Professional Cynic
Hotshot

Alabama
Dart, you forgot one.
This is from my hometown of Attalla.
The first operational hydroelectric dam in the US.

#4057216 - 12/29/14 03:39 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
finlander Offline
finlander  Offline

Oulu town, USA
Bucket Boss, Duluth, MN.

#4057217 - 12/29/14 03:42 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Forgot to mention another incredibly important invention from Florida,

Key lime pie. smile

#4057226 - 12/29/14 03:57 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Neiman-Marcus (luxury shopping) - not far from my home -about 20 miles, in fact- lies the depressing little dorf of Hillsboro, TX. This benighted little place was the stepping off point for two perfectly lovely Jewish brothers (probably the only two in town, which explains why they left) to emigrate to Dallas, pass on the offer to own Coca-Cola, and open the only competitor to the big department stores of NYC from the South. Neiman-Marcus ruled fine luxury shopping with an opulence that the northeast stores considered too gauche and crass for their taste, turns out gauche and crass was exactly what people wanted. So, from the 50s to about the 70s, Neiman-Marcus was king. The Shah of Iran was a personal customer of the Dallas flagship store's portrait studio. The Christmas catalog alone stood out as a beacon for leftists across the world to scream about corporatist and capitalist excesses for decades. Around the 80s, though, the Decade of Greed saw an orgy of lavishness and avarice that even shamed America. (The '86 catalog featured a pair of yellow diamonds for $2M) The chain has slowly declined over the years as Amazon and Jeff Bezos could only accomplish. Today, the store is owned by Californians and the Canadian pension system....which means it's probably worth more in their currency.

Dr. Pepper (soft drinks) - Ah, Waco. The Cleveland of Texas. Home of religious fundamentalists that either shoot federal agents and burn down their own homes around their ears, or they build new football stadiums so they can join the Big 12. Once marketed as a medicine, Dr. Pepper was the invention of a pharmacist. The 1953 tornado in Waco literally wiped the entire city off the face of the earth, thus giving Texas a chance to forget the whole idea and try somewhere else. They ignored the warning and rebuilt the town. The original bottling plant was leveled, save only a crescent-shaped section of one wall, which the builders actually used to rebuild the plant instead of leveling it and starting over. Locals call it the 'smiley face'. Dr. Pepper is also known for ruthless business tactics in which they squashed the bottling rights of their plant in Dublin, Texas because it made a more popular product, a version of Dr. Pepper that used Imperial Pure Cane Sugar as a sweetener instead of that terrifying concoction of chemicals called high fructose corn syrup. Dr. Pepper tried to mollify the masses by saying bottling Imperial Pure Cane Sugar Dr. Pepper would resume at their new, soulless location in Temple, Texas, but it has never reached the level of popularity or sales.

Texas Instruments (computer chips/solid state technology) - headquartered across the Berlin Wall of Highway 360 in Dallas, Texas Instruments revolutionized computing power with the invention of the silicon integrated circuit. Before long, TI chips were in everything from jet fighters to toasters. They built the first laser-guided bomb, insuring that terrorists across the world now had a reason to wonder which night was going to be 'theirs'. Today, they OWN the high-school algebra and trigonometry graphing calculator industry.

Tandy Corporation (home computing) - Thanks to the Trash-80, what started out as a leather goods company making tons of money off the hippies during the 60s 'fringe' poncho craze eventually turned into a computing leviathan of the 80s, responsible for acne-faced teenagers breaking into NORAD and starting World War Three from the comfort of their parents' basement. Not really, but they did pave the way for some #%&*$# 20-something in Lower Buttcrackistan to swipe my Visa card number and buy a wide-screen TV. Tandy Corporation would stand out in weirdness as their headquarters that was literally 10 minutes from the home I grew up in boasted an indoor ice rink and the world's shortest subway (it was in the Guinness book, it literally went from the employee parking lot to the main building). I once interviewed for a job there and I can attest during the HR testing their corporate environment is really, really bizarre.

EDS (data handling) - Another Dallas-based entity, EDS began the very nebulous cottage industry of electronic data storage, growing into the monster that it is today. However, the primary focus of EDS was not really data handling so much as was involved in the extremely critical endeavor of Making Ross Perot Look Less of a Douche. However, to their credit, they did know how to get their employees out of Iran after the fall of the Shah, which made them marginally more intelligent than the US State Department. Even in the 90s, after it had been bought out by HP, EDS still carried a persona of coolness in the DFW area and working there made it easy for you to get laid. Twirling around an EDS name tag on your car keys was a signal to every woman in the bar, "I have a job that pays me truckloads of cash". Thus, male employees of EDS pretty much had their pick.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4057229 - 12/29/14 04:00 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: PFunk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Neiman-Marcus

Also known as "Needless-Markup". wink

#4057231 - 12/29/14 04:02 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: PFunk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

EDS (data handling) - Another Dallas-based entity, EDS began the very nebulous cottage industry of electronic data storage, growing into the monster that it is today. However, the primary focus of EDS was not really data handling so much as was involved in the extremely critical endeavor of Making Ross Perot Look Less of a Douche. However, to their credit, they did know how to get their employees out of Iran after the fall of the Shah, which made them marginally more intelligent than the US State Department. Even in the 90s, after it had been bought out by HP, EDS still carried a persona of coolness in the DFW area and working there made it easy for you to get laid. Twirling around an EDS name tag on your car keys was a signal to every woman in the bar, "I have a job that pays me truckloads of cash". Thus, male employees of EDS pretty much had their pick.

Is that huge EDS campus in Plano still there? I assume it is even after the buyout from HP. Going to Plano for the first time was an odd experience...

I worked for EDS from 1999-2002.

#4057233 - 12/29/14 04:03 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Coleman lanterns, White Castles and Pizza Hut.

they can't all be "great." smile

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4057237 - 12/29/14 04:07 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Linebacker]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Not actually inventing, but stealing a spinning mule from the English and smuggling it to the Continent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieven_Bauwens).
Some even claim waffles (the true 20 hole variety) were invented here, and not in Brussels... cool

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4057241 - 12/29/14 04:09 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Is that huge EDS campus in Plano still there? I assume it is even after the buyout from HP. Going to Plano for the first time was an odd experience...

I worked for EDS from 1999-2002.

Yeah, it's still there, but it's not EDS anymore, which has attributed to the decline of their corporate panache they held for so long. The Campus at Legacy is now some upscale, trendy office park for the Next Big Thing of the Interwebz. Breaks my heart, because that place was just so...you know?

I worked for the phone company at the time and we had to walk into that building once to work on a cell tower they were leasing from us. It was very Darth Vader-esque. They knew it was intimidating and they liked it that way.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4057270 - 12/29/14 05:28 PM Re: Great inventions that originated from your home town/city/state/province [Re: Airdrop01]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
Coleman lanterns, White Castles and Pizza Hut.

they can't all be "great." smile

You should list some that aren't, then!

I like all three...though down here we have Krystals, the Southern cousin to White Castle.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.