Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4056093 - 12/25/14 11:02 PM Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/25/xbox-live-psn-down/

Quote:
Merry Christmas, gamers: Both Xbox Live and PlayStation Network are down this morning, apparently due to a denial-of-service attack. The notorious hacking group Lizard Squad -- which already carried out earlier attacks on Microsoft and Sony -- has claimed responsibility on Twitter for these latest outages. While the group's role in all of this remains unconfirmed, it's worth noting that the group threatened last week to take down Xbox Live and PSN, according to Business Insider. And again, Lizard Squad has already proven it can successfully pull off such attacks, not to mention other malicious pranks.

Whatever the cause, the timing is obviously terrible: Plenty of people surely received one of the two consoles as Christmas presents today, while many more gamers would have happily spent the afternoon in front of the TV. In the meantime, both Sony and Microsoft have acknowledged the problem, with Sony issuing a tweet and Microsoft posting a message on its support website: "We're working to address this as quickly as we possibly can," reads its status website. "Thanks for your patience, Xbox members." In an email, a Microsoft spokesperson declined to comment further or say when the company expects to restore service. We've also asked Sony to comment and will update this post if and when it does.

If only they would create a console that wouldn't need to be online for the games to work.

Maybe some day when we develop time travel we'll be a able to go back in time and re-aquire the technology! winkngrin

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4056132 - 12/26/14 03:11 AM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Maybe Microsoft and Sony will invest in the same anti-DDOS technology that allows online bank sites and other critical sites to withstand DDOS attack from script kiddies and losers with too much time on their hands, hopefully these idiots will be caught and can experience the joy of being someone's cellmate in jail.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4056152 - 12/26/14 05:03 AM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
"According to Vox.com, Lizard Squad brought down Sony’s PlayStation network with a similar attack in August, and Business Insider UK said the group took down PlayStation and Xbox at the beginning of December. It has claimed responsibility for disrupting other online gaming sites. The group also tweeted a bomb threat against a commercial flight carrying Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, forcing an emergency landing.

The group last week threatened to take down PlayStation and Xbox over Christmas, according to Business Insider UK"

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4056189 - 12/26/14 11:37 AM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Haggart]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Haggart
"According to Vox.com, Lizard Squad brought down Sony’s PlayStation network with a similar attack in August, and Business Insider UK said the group took down PlayStation and Xbox at the beginning of December. It has claimed responsibility for disrupting other online gaming sites. The group also tweeted a bomb threat against a commercial flight carrying Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, forcing an emergency landing.

The group last week threatened to take down PlayStation and Xbox over Christmas, according to Business Insider UK"

Holy crap. These people aren't just pimply-faced 1337 hackers, they need to go to jail and experience the joy of dropping the soap in the shower.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4056563 - 12/27/14 05:53 PM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4056575 - 12/27/14 06:37 PM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
The fact that companies should possibly spend more on security does not justify their actions.

People who conduct this kind of attack really should go to jail but they will probably end up working computer security for some company or govt.

#4056577 - 12/27/14 06:45 PM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I just don't care enough about games to worry about this. As long as they restrict themselves to annoying other millennial slackers, I couldn't be bothered.

You steal my identity, I will remove your huevos with a dull butter knife.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4056955 - 12/28/14 10:42 PM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Shows how good the always online deal is, consoles all turned into bricks gaming wise.Sony and Xbox had forewarning off it for weeks..all of the kids were talking about Gecko Groups threats online and hoping Sony and Microsoft would have been prepared. Here's hoping they don't ever takes an interest in Steam.

edit- As much as these Gecko guys eat balls, this is extremely true - They should have more than enough funding to be able to protect against these attacks.

The amount of times that Sony is offline, stuffs up new releases, breaks accounts etc ..as a paid service , it is atrocious.

Last edited by Ajay; 12/28/14 10:48 PM.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4057170 - 12/29/14 02:35 PM Re: Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
boy did this piss me off, got my kids a new XBOne and when I couldn't get them back on after my son was on earlier I was so pissed. Thought it was my router until I got the update on FB that they were hacked... Can't stand these useless twerps that have nothing better to do, make yourself useful in life instead.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.