Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#4055569 - 12/24/14 06:57 PM I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? **  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I took my first lesson - and shot my first guns - last month. I'm a registered Independent, but I suppose I would be classified a "LIBERAL" because of my views on most social issues (I'm more conservative when it comes to economic issues and foreign affairs). I'm married to a liberal Democrat who is anti-gun, so I did not tell her of my morning trip last month to the dark side. She can't know about me touching a gun.

I just registered for another class, an NRA First Steps class, which is more involved than Handgun 101. On top of that, I registered for private instruction next week.

Anyway, I was browsing the guns at the Heritage Guild range and shop this morning (told the wife I went Christmas shopping) and my head practically exploded at all the choices. How the hell is someone supposed to decide? I want to rent the right one for me for the next class, the type that I will eventually buy (when I can hide it from the wife, like my Dad did with my Mom for many years). There are so many friggin' choices!

This is not like shopping for a car. I know cars. I know the makes and model variations, foreign and domestic (I own both). I understand engine displacements, horsepower and torque, the difference between AWD and 4WD, rear-wheel steering and torque vectoring. I know what a turbo charger is and how it works. I don't know squat about guns.

So many brands! Ruger, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, FNH, Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer, Glock, and Beretta.

Until I went to the range for the first time last month, I had no idea 9mm bullets were smallish. I thought they were bigger than .45s and .50s. I don't know the gun makers, i.e. brands. What's the difference? Which one is the Kia of handgun makers? Which is the Mercedes Benz or the Ferrari of handgun makers? Which one is the simple, plain, but reliable Toyota or Chevrolet of gun manufacturers? Which maker's products should I stay away from?

I do live in a politically blue state (thank God) but one with a weird affinity for guns. I can walk into any store, even a Walmart, show my driver's license and buy any gun I see for sale, even automatic weapons. Personally, I think that's a bit crazy, especially for a blue state, but that's the way it is. And we can conceal carry in this state--an easy permit to get if you're a state resident. My goal is to be able to conceal carry, so I don't want one of the giant pistols I saw behind the case today. At the same time, I'm not interested in a .22. I've seen too many movies in which some huge gigantic criminal gets shot with a .22 and it just pisses him off. Many that's not the case in real life, but that image is stuck in my head. Finally, it seems .45s tend to have very long barrels (over 4 inches) and normal magazines hold fewer than 10 cartridges, so I don't think a .45 will work for me.

I've been perusing semi-auto pistols with barrels between 3.25 and 4 inches with a minimum of 10 rounds. Nothing bigger and no revolvers. Any opinions of the following which I pulled from the range catalogue, or any recommendation not listed here will be appreciated. I don't have the time to test try every possibility:

Model: Beretta PX4 Storm Compact
Caliber: 9mm
Barrel Length: 3.27in
Magazine Capacity: 15 rounds

Model: Glock 30 SF Gen 4
Caliber: .45acp
Barrel Length: 3.78in
Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds

Model: Glock 19 Gen 4
Barrel Length: 4in
Magazine Capacity: 17 rounds

Model: Glock 23 Gen 4
Caliber: .40s&w

Model: Springfield Armory XDM-9 Compact
Barrel Length: 3.8in
Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds

Model: Heckler & Koch P2000
Barrel Length: 3.66in
Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds

Model: Heckler & Koch P2000SK
Barrel Length: 3.26in

Model: Heckler & Koch P30
Barrel Length: 3.5in

Model: Heckler & Koch P30L
Barrel Length: 3.85in
With ambidextrous safety

Model: FNH FNX-40
Magazine Capacity: 14 rounds

Model: FNH FNX-9
Magazine Capacity: 17 rounds

Model: Ruger SR9 Compact
Barrel Length: 3.5in

Last edited by Plainsman; 12/24/14 06:59 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4055576 - 12/24/14 07:20 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Go to a range and try some out. See how they fit and feel in your hand, how easy the controls are to work, how well you like the sights & trigger, etc.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4055577 - 12/24/14 07:21 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Keep in mind magazine prices. HK magazines are about $40-50. When carrying people often want light guns, although lighter = more felt recoil. Assuming you are new to shooting I would go for a heavier gun. Having only put ~30 rounds in a pistol down range, I can say that the CZ-75 P0-1 recoils a good bit less compared to the Glock 19 for me. Metal framed guns tend to be heavier than their polymer counter parts.

You should look into SIG pistols to. SIGs and HKs are like the BMW/Mercedes of the gun world, although they are more reliable than their car counterparts. wink

Try shooting the ones you are most interested in, or at least handle them. While I like the CZ-75, the regular B model's slide stop is a bit hard for me to hit. The upgraded SP-01 model has an extended slide stop which is easier for me to reach. I think the location of the SIG controls are the best if you have small hands like myself.

Also, keep in mind if you want a pistol with no external safety (Glock), one with a no safety but a decocker (SIG), or one with both (CZ-75). Lots of guns have many different models; for example, there are decocker only CZ-75s. Also, look up Double Action and Single Action. Some guns, like the SIG and traditional CZs, are DA/SA guns.

#4055580 - 12/24/14 07:23 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Personal rule of thumb--always offer to buy the one pointed at you, no matter its condition or market value.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4055586 - 12/24/14 07:33 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Stick to common calibres. 9mm is the standard as it's extremely easy to control and firearms that take it generally have a high round count (which is important, especially for self defense). Every brand is different, where someone might swear by a Glock it might not fit the next guy's hand at all, so my next suggestion is find someone who knows what they're doing and shoot as many as physically possible. Common models like Glocks, S&W M&Ps, and Springfield XDs will be much easier to find parts for, but don't rule out CZs, HKs, etc if you shoot well with them. Barrel length is more a byproduct of how concealable you want the gun if you're carrying it, so if it's only ever going to be a range toy I'd just stick to whatever model fits you better (usually full size handguns area easier to learn on).

Lastly, drop the politics, no one at the range gives a damn what your alignment is as long as you leave them the heck alone.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4055606 - 12/24/14 08:16 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Yes, drop the politics.

And where did you come up with that you can even buy automatic weapons with your drivers license ? Unless you mean semi-automatic pistols which are often wrongly referred to as "automatics" .

For a first time owner, don't get fancy. Try holding them and working the controls. See if you can smoothly reach an actuate the safety, slide release, magazine release, etc. see if your hand and the pistol match. People will have preferences in calibers, but once you are at 9mm you are OK. 40 is a little better and 45 is the real manstopper. Don't get hung up on large capacity magazines. A lot of rounds will make the grip bigger; may not be good in your hand. May make it harder to operate controls. Decide what you want it for. Keeping at home, range shooting, or personal protection/concealed carry. They have very different criteria. Bill Grant is probably our best handgun guy.

Others post have good info.

Then see if a range has the ones you are considering and fire them. Shoot them a good bit and try all the controls and functions. Make magazine changes.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4055621 - 12/24/14 08:50 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Sorry, I will drop the politics. Still ticked off for getting banned once for vigorously supporting the POTUS on this site, but no more politics.

What don't you understand about drop the politics ?

What is a CZ? That's one I didn't notice in the range catalogue.

To answer your questions: I'm interested in personal/home protection and range shooting to keep sharp. I would like to conceal carry. Yes, I meant semi-auto handguns, not auto. But the range sells all kinds of long guns including machine guns. I'm a long way from being ready for that, and I don't hunt. I just want to learn handguns.

I'm not sure if I have a large or medium-sized hand, but mine are definitely not small. There were 3 semi-autos set up on a counter at the range on a stand enabling customers to grip them but not lift them from the counter. They appeared to be identical but I don't have a trained eye. They were labeled small, medium, and large. The small grip felt little in my hand. The large one felt the most comfortable, especially with the two-hand grip. I think the problem I had hitting the bullseye on the target last month was the smallish size of the grip. The 16 year old girl who shot better than I did had no problems with the same gun, but I couldn't get comfortable. Both of my hands seemed to swallow up the gun.

I'm just too old to get into fisticuffs anymore. I'm 61. I have too many injuries from brawls in my 20s and 30s that have come home to roost in the form of herniated disks and arthritis in my spine. I was never a hot head, but I always defended myself--I never ran. When I was young guys settled things with their fists--a good old throw down. Not anymore. Bad guys don't know how to use their hands anymore except to pull the trigger on a gun. I worry about becoming a victim in my senior years. People shooting people in movie theaters. Home invasions. The world seems filled with criminals and psychopaths, and I'm not so young anymore.

I'll take all advice and try maybe three different ones and see how they feel. I just wanted to narrow down the possibilities since the list of potentials seems so long. I'll try two 9mms and two .40s, different brands from the list above. Sounds like polymer is the way to go. I want light for concealed carry.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 12/24/14 09:04 PM.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4055623 - 12/24/14 08:51 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I know you and I have had our differences of opinion in the past, and I'm going to tell you this with all the love and respect I can muster for you. You're already screwing up.

You do not ever, ever bring a firearm into your home and not tell your significant other. You and your wife need to be on the same page. Full stop. You really don't want to have to explain to the ER staff that your wife found your gun, didn't know how to handle it, and ended up hurting herself.

I suggest calling a few gun ranges and inquiring about women's firearm courses. They are taught by other women, which works out a lot better than men telling them what to do. She might respond to that a little better. My wife was not an anti-gun person, she was just an anti-gun-in-her-house person. We had something happen to us living in the city, the details of which are unimportant, that changed her mind. Now, unless we were starving, my wife would be the last person to take out Bambi. However, if a trophy-sized stoned teenager was found wandering through her living room, trying to make it out the window with her camera equipment or laptop....well....God help the poor little schmuck.

Reviewing your selection, you made some fine choices, there, Croesus. For a first firearm, you can get reliability for a lot less than what you're wanting to pay. I bought a Smith & Wesson SD, and out of the box, it had a vicious trigger pull. After an Apex Tactical trigger kit and stainless steel guide rods, I have an excellent-shooting firearm for less than $400.

Also, you don't have to have a large-caliber firearm. 9mm handguns are just fine. Now, I can hear some of our military guys chuckling in the background, "9mm guns are weaksauce". Well, to them I say, "you're probably right, but my targets aren't going to be in Russian body armor and I don't live in Fallujah." Large-caliber guns bounce. For that reason, you also might want to avoid large-caliber 'compact' pistols. Their range is about as long as your arm. Literally. If they're too far away for you to belt them in the mouth with it, they're too far away to shoot them with it.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4055633 - 12/24/14 09:09 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
PFunk is a wise man.

But Plainsman, if you do ignore his advice, post the aftermath video to youtube when your wife finds out. hahaha

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#4055638 - 12/24/14 09:19 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
It would help to know why you are interested in wanting one.

If it's home defense, a pistol really isn't the best tool for that job. A 12-gauge shotgun is the Great Equalizer for homeowners. I worked in the ER at John Peter Smith as an orderly and I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't matter how much meth they've ingested, they are not going to shrug off a chestful of .00 buck.

And the good news is that your aim is really secondary to the gun just working. It just has to go off.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4055645 - 12/24/14 09:25 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Plainsman... you've come quite a ways from "Buying a gun is too extreme a step and might lead to divorce, so that's not an option." less than 2 months ago. wink

I'm not about to dissuade you from your belief that acquiring a handgun would be a good precaution. Concealed carry is a laudable goal in the reality that we live in today.

However,... I strongly suggest you reconsider your approach to how you are dealing with your wife on this. I know she has a traumatic loss that is coloring her thinking. But I'm also having a hard time visualizing how you plan to carry concealed and still keep it secret from your wife. One hug from her while you are carrying, and you could find the gates of hell opened up with the sense of betrayal she will be filled with, if you don't get it out in the open with her beforehand. I realize that is not a simple task, but hiding it from her is a poor choice if you really are going to carry concealed. Even if you don't do it when she is with you, what happens if you get involved in a self defense shooting and she didn't even know you owned a handgun? With the crap storm you could be facing with the aftermath of a self defense shooting, the last thing you will need is another war on the domestic front to go along with it. As hard as it likely will be to accomplish, you need an ally at home.

On to the handguns. Like any other tool, it's not a one-size/model-fits-all proposition. You are off to a reasonable start in narrowing things down, but be careful of preconceptions... especially ones that come from movies or TV, as Hollywood almost never gets it right.

Concealed carry is a classic example of tradeoffs. Smaller and lighter handguns are easier to conceal, but limit your potential effectiveness if you end up needing to use them. With a shorter barrel comes not only less projectile velocity, but also a shorter sight radius (which makes your shooting less accurate). With a shorter grip comes not only fewer rounds in the magazine, but less to hold on to while aiming. If it's shorter than your hand's width, such that you have a finger, or more hanging off... you're likely to be less accurate, plus you have less to hold on to should you end up in a struggle to retain possession of the handgun. With a lighter handgun comes more felt recoil, and probably more muzzle rise between shots.

All that adds up to, "Select as large and as heavy a handgun as you are likely to actually carry day-to-day (or whatever frequency you are preparing for)." That may be what you are already thinking, or you may reconsider and go with something larger.

If you are in a southern climate, it's more difficult to dress to conceal a larger handgun. If you're up north, it's much easier, especially in the winter. Carrying a full sized Colt 1911 Government Model .45ACP was easy in Connecticut. Doing it in Florida was much more challenging.

I don't think there were any poor choices in your list. While the triggers on the Glocks and similar designs remind me of Mattel toys, they are in truth, serviceable for self-defense use. With modern design hollowpoint ammunition, any of the three calibers you listed should work about the same on assailants. There may still be an edge to larger calibers, but from what I'm reading these days it is minimal if any.

For concealed carry, be prepared to spend some money on a quality holster-magazine carrier(s)-belt rig. That means something that isn't going to sag with the weight of the gun, etc., and where the mouth of the holster remains fully open after you have withdrawn the handgun. That holster remaining open is important because you need to be able to re-holster with just one hand.

Remain mindful that you need to practice on a regular basis. There are two types of practice. Live fire and dry fire. Live fire is going to cost money for ammunition, range time and travel. Dry fire only cost you time as you can do it at home. (Another reason to get things resolved with your wife). Dry fire can go a long ways in getting your sight picture - trigger pull down pat. Get some snap caps, or obtain some dummy rounds to aid in this while giving the firing pin something to hit that won't cause a loud bang. wink Dummy rounds are also useful for practicing your magazine speed loads.

Lastly, if you haven't read the following series being posted over on bearingarms.com, I recommend that you do.

It starts with:
http://bearingarms.com/gun-ownership-primer-philosophy-gun-ownership/

If you don't want to read the entire series, then at least skip to part 7 and read parts 7 through 9.
http://bearingarms.com/gun-ownership-primer-life-changing-realities-part-1/

Choose wisely, and Merry Christmas!

#4055720 - 12/24/14 11:35 PM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Sorry, I will drop the politics. Still ticked off for getting banned once for vigorously supporting the POTUS on this site, but no more politics.

What don't you understand about drop the politics ?

What is a CZ? That's one I didn't notice in the range catalogue.

Google is your friend. You'll want to look into the CZ-75 series; their website lists a bunch of models.

Also look into the SIG P226/8/9 line:

The CZ has a safety, the P226 has a decocker. A Glock or S&W M&P have neither. I recommend learning the differences between them, and going into the store/range and asking about it. This should be one of your first steps to learn the types of semi autos and how they work. I was rather confused about the differences until I went in a few weeks ago myself.

I would recommend looking at the following to get a good feel for the types of semi autos out there:

P226 - SA/DA with decocker
HK P30/USP series - SA/DA with safety or CZ-75B series
Glock - SA with no safety or decocker or S&W M&P

These guns should be pretty common and easy to find at most gun stores. Note that there are many versions of the CZ-75, some are SA only and some only have decockers. You'll want to ask for a SA/DA model with safety so you can see the differences between the three types of pistols. Or, find an HK pistol.

BTW, fully automatic weapons (all, incorrectly I might add, classified as machineguns) were banned in 1986. You can still get old ones in most states, but they start at around $5,000+ and are much harder to get than a regular rifle/shotgun.

#4055747 - 12/25/14 12:47 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I just want to second most of Flogger's comments. You will find that quality among a lot of the major brands is similar and that you will want to look at safety features such as what Flogger pointed out because they may make big practical differences in how you use them. Good luck in your research and eventual purchase; having read many posts like this I find that you will get a lot of useful information here. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4055754 - 12/25/14 01:17 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
The Taurus G2 line of handguns are among the safest and most reliable made. My wife carries one. I'm planning on eventually getting one of my own.

The CZ-75 is essentially just a Browning Hi-Power, right? I loved those things. I have an FEG clone of the Hi-Power, but it's really old and needs some maintenance. I just haven't had the time to get it in the shop to get it fixed.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4055776 - 12/25/14 02:25 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Leaving off domestic stuff and politics:

Pistols are like wine and beer - the best one in the world is the one you like the best.

Best thing is to go to that range of yours and talk to folks and ask if they'll let you shoot their pistols (they usually will, and give instruction on it, too!). Invariably there will be one that just "fits" your hand and feels comfortable shooting more than others.

I'm a 1911 guy because that's the pistol I had to work to learn to shoot properly (little dainty lady hands); now everything else just feels kinda weird shooting. I also like a big meaty pistol that can double as a melee weapon. smile

I gotta say that for a "two hands on the pistol" firearm, one really can't go wrong with a Glock. Probably the easiest firearm I've ever fired was the Glock 22 (.40 S&W), which I traded for my .45 and now have another as my company issued one to me. It's just a well behaved pistol.

Some advice:

1. Don't get caught up on caliber too much. Everything is about shot placement. The .44 Magnum may look impressive but is useless if one isn't accurate with it. And accuracy is all about comfort, confidence, and practice. A .22 caliber pistol in the hands of a practiced shooter is more deadly than anyone holding a Python with little or no time behind its trigger.

2. Avoid anything exotic. That includes the latest-and-greatest whatever has just come down the pike. The 1911 and the Glock 17 may seem pedestrian, but they're easy to get worked on and find ammo for.

3. Don't get too hung up on brand names. In M1911's, some purists will only accept a Colt...but Kimber, Auto Ordinance, and a bunch of other companies make really fine ones, too, and at half the price. Then again, if its a brand nobody's heard of, might want to see rule #2.

4. Is it a "range" gun or a "carry" gun? For a little guy like me there's really no hiding my big ol' pistol...it's gonna "print" somewhere, revealing a bit of outline that a knowing eye will spot quickly. That's fine with me, as I like being a rattle snake more than a water moccasin.

5. Learn it stock before you modify it. Before listening to the range know-it-all who will spout trigger pull weights, shaving sights, and custom grips, learn to shoot it properly as made by the manufacturer. A "stock" pistol that is to manufacturer's specs is better for learning the fundamentals of shooting as it applies to it. The tweaking is for fine tuning at distance, but if one isn't competent with the model to begin with there's not going to be much advantage. And you'll wind up training yourself for unusual setups - meaning that your shooting will be customized as well. I know some guys who love hair trigger setups (sigh - it's just asking for trouble) and can't shoot worth a darned with a pistol with standard pull because of it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4055779 - 12/25/14 02:38 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: letterboy1]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: letterboy1
I just want to second most of Flogger's comments. You will find that quality among a lot of the major brands is similar and that you will want to look at safety features such as what Flogger pointed out because they may make big practical differences in how you use them. Good luck in your research and eventual purchase; having read many posts like this I find that you will get a lot of useful information here. smile

Flogger's expert advice is much appreciated, but I'm a newbie at this. Decockers? I never heard of such a thing. It's too confusing. One guy at the range mentioned something to me about an "ambidextrous safety." I know the meaning of ambidextrous, but a ambidextrous safety? Again, way to confusing. I think I need to keep it simple. For now. I want to find a gun that feels comfortable and when using it at the range, I can hit what I shoot at, and away from the range learn how to take it apart, clean it, load the magazine correctly, all that basic stuff with which I admit I don't yet feel comfortable or confident doing. Forget modding. I've never modded a car; I won't mod a gun.

I never imagined the world of guns was so complicated. I don't know how I'm going to tell my wife, but I won't buy the thing until I do. That's sound advice. Thanks.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4055780 - 12/25/14 02:38 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System

I do live in a politically blue state (thank God) but one with a weird affinity for guns.

I can't think of any northeastern state like this except for Vermont. I thought you were a NYC'er though?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4055782 - 12/25/14 02:41 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System

I never imagined the world of guns was so complicated. I don't know how I'm going to tell my wife, but I won't buy the thing until I do. That's sound advice. Thanks.

You can order a little gun safe and when she asks you what it's for, you can tell her that its for your gun. wink

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4055815 - 12/25/14 03:46 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Some good advice for you here from these guys Plainsman.

Even though I'm a shooter, I am a low time shooter due to the gun restrictions here in Western Australia, and the associated costs. My advice is much like what others have stated here; go to a range, and select a number of handguns to fire. See how they fit your hand, you will find one that feels natural.

Despite my range commander grumbling about it, I found that a Kimber .45 suited me the best. But the reasons why were quite simple, I have a 6'4" frame, I weigh around 220lbs. It sound crazy I know, but I need to feel the "weight" there on the gun. I have been getting some really good range results. I verified this last time I was in Thailand as well, I used what must have been a WWII Colt 45, and I was plinking the targets at around 50 meters, and that was without even trying to sight the gun for myself. Luckily, my wife can already shoot, and is OK on the .45

Also, like yourself, I'm not too much into customization. The Kimber I use suits me fine, however, when we move next year and I make my first purchase, I will make sure that I get an extended grip, that is all.

Now we all need some words of wisdom from Mr Grant.

Merry Christmas everybody!!

AJ.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#4055822 - 12/25/14 03:53 AM Re: I Want to Buy a Handgun...any advice? [Re: Plainsman]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: letterboy1

Flogger's expert advice is much appreciated, but I'm a newbie at this. Decockers? I never heard of such a thing. It's too confusing. One guy at the range mentioned something to me about an "ambidextrous safety." I know the meaning of ambidextrous, but a ambidextrous safety? Again, way to confusing. I think I need to keep it simple. For now. I want to find a gun that feels comfortable and when using it at the range, I can hit what I shoot at, and away from the range learn how to take it apart, clean it, load the magazine correctly, all that basic stuff with which I admit I don't yet feel comfortable or confident doing. Forget modding. I've never modded a car; I won't mod a gun.

You're going to want to head over to youtube. You'll find some videos explaining it there. Then you'll want to go into a store, and ask about decockers, SA, DA ect. Then you'll probably want to ask if you can dry fire them. Hopefully you have a good store locally. I'd recommend figuring out what you think you would prefer, and then rent one of each type. Try dry firing before shooting real ammo at the range to figure out how the decocker, double action, ect. works.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.