Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4053879 - 12/21/14 01:25 AM Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,125 Per Pill  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...rds/?tid=pm_pop

Finally, there’s a medication to cure hepatitis C that doesn’t require use of the dreaded drugs interferon or ribavirin.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration earlier this month approved Harvoni, a once-daily tablet manufactured by Gilead Sciences. Harvoni is a combination medication that includes sofosbuvir (Sovaldi), another Gilead breakthrough treatment approved late last year, and ledipasvir, which is also made by Gilead.

The new medication costs $95,000 for a 12-week course of treatment

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4053887 - 12/21/14 02:02 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well Hag, again I had to unblock you....temporarily.

You are missing (surprise, surprise) the key issue here. Insurance companies are refusing to pay for Harvoni, unless your liver function is way low...In fact so bad you are into cirrhosis....which is kinda silly to say the least. "Sorry, we can't treat you until your liver is damaged beyond repair" eek

Will have a pic soon of the worlds most expensive drug for ya.

Oh, and another interesting factoid, most people with Hep C got it innocently from a blood transfusion. Prior to Jan 1990, blood was NOT screened for Hep C.

Folks out there may have it and not have a clue....If they don't drink...that gives you a clue, and maybe eat raw oysters and die.

BTW Hag, you factor in the tests, Doc visits etc it's well over $100K for the 90 day program.

I should know.

I got Hep C from a blood transfusion in Sept 1989 after an accident and, besides some suspicions after talking with people who had it, until Mar this year I really didn't know I had the disease.

I was just approved, begrudgingly after a fairly nasty battle with my Insurance company, for Harvoni this past Thurs. thumbsup

I have a GREAT Doc, who has an even greater assistant who have been fighting for me all the way.

Great opportunity for me to turn my life around health wise, and I intend to take full advantage of it.

It IS ridiculously expensive.....BUT....since this is Sim HQ....you can get around it....if you are broke enough.

PM me for more info if you have it.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4053895 - 12/21/14 02:45 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Nixer .... "I was just approved, begrudgingly after a fairly nasty battle with my Insurance company, for Harvoni this past Thurs"

Awesome, grats !

As to the insurance companies not wanting to pay for someones $95K treatment unless their liver is almost gone - jee, imagine that !

Nixer...."Well Hag, again I had to unblock you....temporarily"
rofl

#4053904 - 12/21/14 03:13 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Interestingly, while I was searching for guinea pig programs on the net, I found one in Japan where they are using MASSIVE doses of Vitamin C as a potential cure.

Caught my eye since I learned years ago about killing colds with 10K Mg doses of vitamin C.

I haven't had a "cold" for more than 12 hours since I learned that trick decades ago....FACT

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4053905 - 12/21/14 03:14 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
and here i though the cancer pill that costed 20.000 usd was too expensive

#4053906 - 12/21/14 03:19 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Interesting you mention that about vitamin C - my dad always said Vitamin C was a great defense against cold viruses. There is something else though i discovered that perhaps is an even greater defense - washing my hands often. I haven't had a cold now in 4 years.

#4054187 - 12/21/14 09:18 PM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
I'm outraged. How dare those people try to recoup their investment for a cure??? They should be giving away the fruits of their labors to those that need them. From those with ability to those with need, eh Haggart?

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#4054307 - 12/22/14 01:29 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
medicine in some respects is no different then any other business where profits are important - but that doesn't mean we should paint the entire industry with the same brush of pure greed - while we may not have the best health care system in the world it sure isn't the worst either

#4054312 - 12/22/14 01:41 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
When that statement is coming from the same guy who espoused proton radiation at nearly 20X the cost and same effectiveness as gamma radiation, it is a bit difficult to gauge its sincerity.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious...I was being sarcastic.

#4054318 - 12/22/14 01:58 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Well you made your point - you feel proton radiation treatment is useless and over priced. As to being over priced - well a lot of things are over priced but if it saves your life or the life of someone you love then you're grateful. Chemo, surgery, or traditional radiation therapy or combinations of may not be the best choice in all brain tumor cases. From everything i've read about proton treatment there are enough researchers and doctors in the medical field that feel it has a place in treatment of brain tumors.

You've made it clear you don't agree with that. Fine & noted.

Both Proton Treatment Centers in Florida and in Houston have been treating 60-80 patients/day since 2008 and the cost is more then conventional radiation but less costly then surgery.

just some of the survivors who underwent proton cancer treatment at M.D. Anderson:
Brain

Stephanie Mullins, Optic Nerve Glioma
Caitlin Acree, Optic Nerve Glioma

Childhood Cancers

Gage Buri, Pilocytic Astrocytoma Brain Tumor
Joseph Campione, Rhabdomyosarcoma
Jake C., Rhabdomyoscarcoma
Max Daniel, Anaplastic Meningioma Brain Tumor
Victoria Fox, Parameningeal Embryonal Rhabdomysarcoma
Forrest Jackson, Germinoma
Ava Jacobs, Medulloblastoma
Ana Kate Partridge, Medulloblastoma
Matthew Rager, Glioma Brain Tumor
Jacob Ralston, Ewing's Sarcoma
Hailey Strole, Astrocytoma
Emily Trail, Ependymoma, Spinal Tumor
Coleson Young, Ependymoma

Esophageal

Roberto Olivares

Head and Neck

Carol Monroe, left neck paraganglioma
Vaughn Bradley, Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Louise Chaung, Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Shane Leonard, Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma
Mary Lott, Neuroblastoma of the Sinus Cavity and Brain
Gerry McKim, Oropharynx Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Lung

Helen Schmidt
Chuck Martinez
Jose Rovira
Suzan Shughart
Billy Walls

Lymphoma

Molly Allen
Esther Lombrozo
Katie Meacham

Prostate Cancer

Lorenzo Abundiz
Walter Atkinson
Drew Cox
Khalid Al Failakwal
Ahmed Fakhri
Gerard First
John Floyd
Jack Holloway
Harvey House
Rick Keller
Joe Landry
Terry Lavy
Peter Taaffe
Richard Trevino

#4054390 - 12/22/14 07:39 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Medical isotope production for Tc-99 and some other
products is being done with cyclotrons, some new
due to the Chalk River machine problems, some has
been going on for decades. Superconducting machines
in the appropriate energy range can be built now
on a small footprint, for a lot cheaper than in the
past. Hospitals are installing these for a guaranteed
local supply of isotopes. When you've got the machine,
adding proton therapy is an incremental cost, and
as the technology matures and spreads, you can expect
to see it get steadily cheaper.

#4054391 - 12/22/14 07:43 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
thanks for your input and perspective PV1

#4054610 - 12/22/14 06:45 PM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: shan2]  
harryw Offline
harryw  Offline

NV
Originally Posted By: shan2
I'm outraged. How dare those people try to recoup their investment for a cure??? They should be giving away the fruits of their labors to those that need them. From those with ability to those with need, eh Haggart?

More like patent squatting than "fruits of their labors". "Giving away"? Hardly. At even a 10th of the price they charge they'd make a huge profit; Sovaldi is available in Egypt for 1% of the US price. It's just what happens in a free market when there is no real competition.

Quote:
Gilead couldn’t have been clearer about its intentions to charge a high price. It purchased Sovaldi by buying the drug’s developer, Pharmasset, for $11 billion in 2011, and then, in an ethically dicey move, stopped developing the drug in combination with a Bristol-Myers product so it could control all of the economics itself. It couldn’t have been clearer that Gilead expected to make bank on this new drug.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/12/22/drug-price-war-takes-pharma-back-to-the-future/

Last edited by harryw; 12/22/14 06:50 PM.
#4055659 - 12/24/14 09:51 PM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
harryw, no. Let's take a good look at what is being offered. Is it an alternative therapy for hepatitis C. Yes, it has a higher cure rate, but its main benefit is the lack of side effects. So, it is highly unlikely that the entire populace who have hepatitis C in the U.S. would be customers for the drug given the trend of medical insurance. Sure, if you could get every man, woman, and child who has hepatitis C to use the drug, then costs can be recouped at much lower price points. But that's pretty unlikely.

#4055660 - 12/24/14 09:53 PM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Well you made your point - you feel proton radiation treatment is useless and over priced. As to being over priced - well a lot of things are over priced but if it saves your life or the life of someone you love then you're grateful. Chemo, surgery, or traditional radiation therapy or combinations of may not be the best choice in all brain tumor cases. From everything i've read about proton treatment there are enough researchers and doctors in the medical field that feel it has a place in treatment of brain tumors.

You've made it clear you don't agree with that. Fine & noted.

Both Proton Treatment Centers in Florida and in Houston have been treating 60-80 patients/day since 2008 and the cost is more then conventional radiation but less costly then surgery.

just some of the survivors who underwent proton cancer treatment at M.D. Anderson:
*snip*

Show me the data from the control group that validates the proton therapy ended with superior outcomes.

Last edited by shan2; 12/24/14 09:53 PM.

#4055663 - 12/24/14 09:59 PM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Haggart
*snip*

Prostate Cancer

Lorenzo Abundiz
Walter Atkinson
Drew Cox
Khalid Al Failakwal
Ahmed Fakhri
Gerard First
John Floyd
Jack Holloway
Harvey House
Rick Keller
Joe Landry
Terry Lavy
Peter Taaffe
Richard Trevino

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/expert...h-the-cost.aspx

Quote:
Benefits in prostate cancer uncertain

Proton therapy has been proven beneficial for tumors surrounded by sensitive structures such as the eye, brain, and spinal cord, where the potential for radiation damage is very high. Proton therapy also offers a distinct benefit in many childhood cancers due to the high risk of long-term side effects in children who receive standard radiation treatment.

In contrast, most studies of proton therapy for prostate cancer suggest that this new approach may be just as good as standard photon radiation treatment at controlling the growth and spread of the cancer, but there is no evidence that proton treatment does a better job of curing the cancer.

And in spite of the theory that protons cause less damage to normal tissue, there is at present no convincing evidence that urinary (bladder problems), gastrointestinal (rectal leakage or bleeding), or sexual (erectile dysfunction), complication rates are lower following proton therapy. A few studies suggest that rates of some side effects might even be higher.

Proton therapy popular and profitable

The lack of evidence has not slowed the rapid increase in the use of proton treatment for prostate cancer. One recent study documented a 67% increase in the number of cases of proton treatment for prostate cancer billed to Medicare between 2006 and 2009. This rate of growth is particularly noteworthy given the limited access to proton therapy: there are at present only 10 proton beam centers operating in the United States, and each center treats only a few hundred cancer patients each year.

The small number of centers reflects the complexity and cost ($100-$225 million) of building and maintaining the facilities. While equipment needed for standard radiation treatment can usually be added to an existing hospital or treatment facility, delivering proton beam therapy requires constructing a specialized building and installing complicated and expensive equipment to speed up atoms to what's needed to separate the proton and fire it at the tumor. (Although it should be noted that more prostate cancer patients are being treated with proton therapy because new centers are opening, and increased outreach to patients is resulting in some centers extending hours to treat them.)

With this limited availability and no evidence that proton therapy is better, why is use of the procedure rising at such a feverish pace? Financial incentives may be playing a role. Proton beam therapy for prostate cancer is reimbursed at a much higher rate than traditional radiation treatment for the same condition. Medicare pays about $19,000 for a full dose of standard radiation therapy for prostate cancer, but it pays nearly double for proton therapy - more than $32,000.

Prostate cancer has become far and away the most common condition for which a Medicare beneficiary receives proton beam therapy, accounting for 2 of every 3 claims and 80% of Medicare spending on the procedure. So while the cost to build a treatment center is high, proton therapy presents a lucrative opportunity for those who are willing to make the investment. Established facilities in the US report annual revenue approaching $50 million. This profit potential is leading to a veritable "arms race" in the field, with the number of facilities in the US expected to double in the next few years.

Given the rising cost of US healthcare it is increasingly important to prove through studies that paying more is associated with better outcomes. A great deal of research is currently underway to determine whether proton beam therapy for prostate cancer can fulfill the hope of saving livings while limiting side effects and complications. However, men who are choosing treatment today should be aware that proton therapy's hoped-for benefits have not yet been proven. Meanwhile these men (as well as Medicare and other insurers) should reasonably ask, "Does it make sense to get the same results yet pay twice as much?"

#4079798 - 02/17/15 03:50 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: shan2]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Just starting week 5 of my treatment.

My week 4 test results (they took 5 tubes of blood!) came back Hepatitis free. Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada.

I went from a viral load count of over 7 Million to undetectable in 4 weeks! Also my liver function test has improved almost 40% in the same time frame.

This for a disease that was incurable not that long ago, is pretty dang miraculous to me.

Felt like crap the first couple of weeks, bouts of bad nausea and some ass kickin headches. The only lingering side effect is fatigue. I sleep a lot including afternoon naps, but who cares.

Now just concentrating on eating foods that are good for my liver, hoping to rebuild it after all those years not knowing I had it....no alcohol while on the meds.

Am on my second 28 day supply. Insurance pays $30,100 for each 28 day batch, I payed $5 for the first bottle and now they are free for me thanks to Gilead's co-pay assistance program. NO WAY I could have even afforded the co-pay, never mind the whole cost.

Have a great Doc and he has an even greater nursing assistant who have fought for me all the way. I am still amazed I was approved. This particular insurance company has only approved less than 10% of those wanting it according to my Doc, like almost 200 people on the list with this group of 4 gastro docs. The insurance company could have disapproved me if they had stuck to the letter of the guidelines.

Kinda like winning $100K lottery prize....this is more like the lottery of life.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4079800 - 02/17/15 04:00 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
BTW, if you have ever had a blood transfusion, especially before 1990, do yourself a favor and get tested for Hepatitis C.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4079806 - 02/17/15 04:26 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Glad to hear it Nixer, all the best!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4079808 - 02/17/15 04:29 AM Re: Got Hepatitis C ? No Problem - 12 Week Course Treatment At Only $1,250 Per Pill [Re: Haggart]  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
Here in Portugal we had a huge issue about the price of the new Hep-C treatment because the state was
in negotiations with the pharmaceutical for months without any agreement, all because of the the price.

The company wanted 41K Euros per treatment for 13000 patients giving a total of 533 Million Euros, but
the state refused to pay that much claiming that in France for example the price was below 20K Euros.

It reached a point that during a press conference with the minister of health several patients begged
not to let them die, as some had already died waiting for the medication.

A few days later the news came out that the pharmaceutical company had accepted to cut the price in nearly half, to 24K Euros per treatment and if the patient needed more, the extra pills would e free. Also if the treatment failed there would be no cost.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/healt.../article/425590

http://spidol.esy.es/?p=21269

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.