Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4052915 - 12/18/14 09:44 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

@ Bucksnort

3570k running at 4.4ghz used asus MB software to auto overclock to a stable level with one button press duck

@ skullbiscuit

how are you supposed to screenshot twenty a/c in combat all around you? you asked for 20 aircraft, I showed you...all within the immediate area, what exactly does a representative sample mean?

Cheers Dakpilot

#4052921 - 12/18/14 09:52 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
What you showed me was a "static of static" A screen capture of a map.

How about recording that battle and posting a track? Can do that right? Then people could play that track and get a feel for rendering speed vs entities in the area and so on.

Your posting this picture could conceal that for an "avg" machine on "high" settings...it's a stuttering mess

The only way we are going to be able to demonstrate what this game can and cannot do is by recording videos that display all the entities in play within a small area....or recording tracks

I assume that the game can do that? Right? Record tracks and then share tracks in order to get a feel for what is possible

"Representative Sample" is a term from statistics...it means what it implies....an example from a sample population which is representative of that population as a whole...as opposed to being unrepresentative or worse...an outlier

In this case we are trying to prove the game can handle 20+ aircraft in one airspace without experiencing performance problems...thus this is "a sample" in which to offer proof of that hypothesis

Let me also say this

Even if a track is offered and it plays smoothly....that may not be the whole story

Playing a track since it does not involve AI calculations in Real Time...may play smoother than the actual mission played out when played by the player

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 12/18/14 10:00 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4052923 - 12/18/14 09:57 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Thanks, Dak and Loki.

I used to build my own rigs starting from the motherboard up in the 1980's using parts from places like TigerDirect. But now my skills have atrophied completely smile

So I've been trying to get back up to speed enough to find a stock rig that I can tweak-up. My i5 2320 can't be OC'd so its as fast as its going to get, not to mention other possible bottlenecks on the motherboard.

These built for gaming rigs are insanely overpriced when you look at the parts they are using. But I guess they're getting paid for knowing how to put them together.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4052926 - 12/18/14 10:02 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: KodiakJac]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Thanks, Dak and Loki.

I used to build my own rigs starting from the motherboard up in the 1980's using parts from places like TigerDirect. But now my skills have atrophied completely smile

So I've been trying to get back up to speed enough to find a stock rig that I can tweak-up. My i5 2320 can't be OC'd so its as fast as its going to get, not to mention other possible bottlenecks on the motherboard.

These built for gaming rigs are insanely overpriced when you look at the parts they are using. But I guess they're getting paid for knowing how to put them together.

You can get a cheap AMD 8 core @4.2 along with MB for $270, plus another $75 for 8GB of Ram from Newegg

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4052928 - 12/18/14 10:05 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

okay just take it that I am lying, you can try 30 aircfaft in RoF qmb experience it for yourself

If the game was giving issues in this manner...stuttering mess with 20 A/C it would probably be very prevalent at BoS forums, look on Utube there are plenty of vids with lots of A/C

I don't have to 'prove' it, it works just fine on my system

Cheers Dakpilot

#4052931 - 12/18/14 10:08 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: KodiakJac]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Thanks, Dak and Loki.

Let me just put this out for you....if you did builds in the 1980's doing builds today and even OC'ing are going to be stupid easy with just a little info. Trust me. The newer pc parts are idiot proof unlike the 80's - late 90's where you actually had to have some knowledge and no reliable internet search.

I highly recommend if you are looking for an upgrade to do it yourself.

#4052948 - 12/18/14 11:06 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Dakpilot]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dakpilot

21 aircraft in immediate area in a campaign mission, no performance issues 3570K gtx770 2gb ultra @ 1920 x1080

Cheers Dakpilot

It's also worth pointing out that all those 21 aircraft are using the same advanced flight model as the player.
None of the other fligh sim engine can claim that.

These game engines are all compromises. I don't look at all their limitations as much as the benefits
It's nice to see lots of aircraft but the fidelity of the DN is also nice. I understand the trade off so I don't mind.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 12/18/14 11:17 PM.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4052952 - 12/18/14 11:18 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:

It's also worth pointing out that all those 21 aircraft are using the same advanced flight model as the player.

Frankly, until now I fail in see advantage in this famous "advanced flight model for AI" with AI bombers flying ugly, weaving left and right like seagulls or trying engage like fighters... rolleyes

#4052958 - 12/18/14 11:25 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Yep, first sim ever where iv been chased down by 6 bombers (Pe-2) in my 109.

P.S, The way i handle it is irrelevant, its the fact that one finds one self in that situation in the first place that's just plain wrong.

#4052960 - 12/18/14 11:31 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Sokol1]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Frankly, until now I fail in see advantage in this famous "advanced flight model for AI" with AI bombers flying ugly, weaving left and right like seagulls or trying engage like fighters... rolleyes

It's good for using it to fly missions for you in the God awful campaign grind smile apart from that the enemy planes don't show much evidence of having great intelligence

#4052965 - 12/18/14 11:44 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: Sokol1]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Quote:

Theres a scene in the Battle of Britain movie where He111s break formation and try to dodge the British fighters. I always wondered if that was correct but of course that film had actual veterans as advisors. I don't know what the correct tactic really is.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4052971 - 12/18/14 11:56 PM Re: Unlocks [Re: SharpeXB]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Quote:

Theres a scene in the Battle of Britain movie where He111s break formation and try to dodge the British fighters. I always wondered if that was correct but of course that film had actual veterans as advisors. I don't know what the correct tactic really is.

The correct tactic - as quoted by Battle of Britain Hurricane pilot Peter Townsend - who interviewed and featured accounts from German fighter, bomber and Stuka pilots for his highly-recommended book, 'Duel of Eagles' - was 'close up for fighters, open out for flak'.

That move in the film was for visual effect, and not realistic, I think we can be pretty certain. It would have been suicide to break formation like that under fighter attack, and bomber crews knew that perfectly well. If attacked head on I suppose some might have broke to avoid collision but I have read several accounts of the action over the North Sea on 15th August (which that scene depicts) and I don't recall anyone mentioning the German bombers doing a 'bomb-burst'.

Interestingly, in France 1940, there are several accounts of SINGLE German bombers - for example, Dornier 17s on recce missions - attempting to dogfight with BEF Air Component Hurricanes. Didn't tend to end well though. Source from memory is 'The Fighter Pilots' by Edward Simms.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4052991 - 12/19/14 12:26 AM Re: Unlocks [Re: 33lima]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: 33lima
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Quote:

The correct tactic - as quoted by Battle of Britain Hurricane pilot Peter Townsend - who interviewed and featured accounts from German fighter, bomber and Stuka pilots for his highly-recommended book, 'Duel of Eagles' - was 'close up for fighters, open out for flak'.

That move in the film was for visual effect, and not realistic, I think we can be pretty certain. It would have been suicide to break formation like that under fighter attack, and bomber crews knew that perfectly well. If attacked head on I suppose some might have broke to avoid collision but I have read several accounts of the action over the North Sea on 15th August (which that scene depicts) and I don't recall anyone mentioning the German bombers doing a 'bomb-burst'.

Interestingly, in France 1940, there are several accounts of SINGLE German bombers - for example, Dornier 17s on recce missions - attempting to dogfight with BEF Air Component Hurricanes. Didn't tend to end well though. Source from memory is 'The Fighter Pilots' by Edward Simms.

Good to know. Thanks. If you've read A Higher Call the B-17 pilot in that book is actually "dogfighting" the German fighters when he's cut off from the formation and out of ammo. It's amazing.

#4053000 - 12/19/14 01:04 AM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Makes sense, when you are cut off from the formation you are out of options anyway, may as well try and surprise your attackers.

#4053017 - 12/19/14 01:37 AM Re: Unlocks [Re: 33lima]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: 33lima

Yes, I've read many accounts of the same. They would close up for concentration of fire, and stay level to help their gunners with accuracy. Marksmanship was already difficult in hitting an attacking fighter from mostly rear and/or side facing gun positions, and if the bomber pilot started to maneuver marksmanship became almost impossible for his gunners.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4053115 - 12/19/14 09:11 AM Re: Unlocks [Re: Ghost_swe]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
The book was actually 'Fighter Exploits' now that I checked that out, my copy is in the loft but IIRC one of the RAF accounts has a Dornier actually attacking a vic of Hurricanes and then attempting to turn with them. May have been a misunderstanding of a possibly accidental encounter but there was at least one other case of a single German bomber behaving (or trying to behave) like a fighter. Early-war German aircrew seem to have been exceptionally skillful; Townsend in one account describes a Stuka having dropped its bombs as being able to 'turn on a postage stamp' and evade RAF figthers while he was one of many to attest to the effective shooting of the supposedly-wildly underarmed German bombers, whose excellent gunners Stephen Bungay in 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' records did a lot more damage than they are generally credited with.

BTW 'open out for flak' didn't mean break formation, just space it out more widely.

The bomber behaviour in BoS isn't TOO bad in my experience but it's reminiscent of WW1 two-seaters, with too-sharp turns leading to formations, if not lost, becoming too spread out and/or straggling.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4053118 - 12/19/14 09:47 AM Re: Unlocks [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: SkullBiscuit
Even if a track is offered and it plays smoothly....that may not be the whole story

It certainly isn't. I've gone from not suffering any CTD's to now getting them fairly regularly.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.