Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4052329 - 12/17/14 10:04 PM The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I think for the first time with these films, I may be too lazy to drag myself to the theatre when I could be doing chores instead. The lackluster advertising this time around (compared to the previous films) doesn't exactly inspire me, but I can't think that it won't be anything we haven't seen before- cartoon CGI battles with lots of orcs and elves and dwarves and humans, the dialogue and quests really feel like we've already seen it all. It's the 3-D if anything that might be worth seeing, but I'm really not interested in much else. There comes a time where even the filmmakers seem over it, this series might be a candidate for that.

If anyone else is going, feel free to give opinions either way.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4052334 - 12/17/14 10:22 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

My wife is dragging me to see it saturday. I hated the first two movies. They completely butchered the story which is my all time favorite book as I read it a million times as a kid.

I am ok with changes to the story and the additions from the silmarillion but they completely changed the context of things and the character interactions. They took away pivotal moments from bilbo and turned him into something he wasnt in the book. Then they threw a huge wrench into the history of middle earth by keeping alive a orc that died a hundred years before the book even started. Then that orc becomes the main antagonist where there wasnt an antagonist like that in the book. And it all adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the storyline... It wasnt even Thorin who fought (and killed) Azog in the book. That was Dain who I am sure will appear in this third movie and everyone will go, "who the #%&*$# is Dain?" Oh yea he is the guy who killed Azog... except he didnt in the movie so why even include him.

No clue why they did this. They should have let Dain kill Azog like in the book and made the main bad guy be Azog's son Bolg who could have then led the orc's in the battle of the 5 armies just like in the book... Makes no #%&*$# sense... none what so ever... #%&*$# Peter Jackson.

And that is not even the worst part. The worst part is the constant belittlement of Bilbo. They stole his glory time and time again in the movie. Then in order to make him seem a better character they manufactured more glory that didnt happen in the book. Makes no sense. Just do it like the book and you dont have to make up your own #%&*$# that isnt very good and makes no sense.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY CHILDHOOD IS RUINED

Also, the movies are ok action movies if you dont care about the books.

Last edited by Master; 12/17/14 10:24 PM.
#4052343 - 12/17/14 10:30 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I never read the books, admittedly. My only exposure to this had been the 1970s cartoons.

But without the books, the movies are still getting old. I saw Blade Runner last night at a local theatre- a film I've seen a dozen times, but the first time I've seen it on the big screen, and it was still more fun than the last Hobbit movie.

#4052350 - 12/17/14 10:39 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
They definitely stretched a lot out of one book, or timeline. I'm ok with the story changes I guess, but the problem is that none of the characters really stand out as enjoyable or heroic. Even Legolas. In the book, the dwarves were even fairly cowardly, which I understand they couldn't portray here after having done LOTR, but even trying to present them as heroic they're just not very likable. It really is odd how such an eventful and fun story has somehow become somewhat dull. Even in the first one with the Frodo timeline was forced and didn't feel right. I liked the idea, but it wasn't pulled off well.
I'd still like to see this in the theater, but might have to go by myself. My kids couldn't care less about it and I'm pretty sure my wife feels the same. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4052359 - 12/17/14 10:56 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I went last Saturday with my family.
Note a huge fan my self wife and kids are though.
I did enjoy the movie the battle scenes were pretty good
but not up to the standard of lord of the rings, IMO

#4052373 - 12/17/14 11:20 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
"The Hobbit" trilogy is IMO Peter Jackson's "Star Wars Episodes I-III".

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4052377 - 12/17/14 11:31 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Would have preferred Dam Busters,kids and i weren't interested in Hobbity stuff anyway although LoTR was ok. I preferred the version i watched in school when we read the books.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4052379 - 12/17/14 11:39 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Jayhawk]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
"The Hobbit" trilogy is IMO Peter Jackson's "Star Wars Episodes I-III".
LOL! yes you got that right.
if the films aren't long enough there is always the extended edition on DVD/Bluray wink

Hated the first Hobbit film, second one was slightly better, not seen the third one yet. My son liked the 3rd film said it was better than the first two.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4052380 - 12/17/14 11:46 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
With the exception of a few scenes like the endless barrel chase in the river sequence, I liked the first two Hobbit films quite a bit.

I get the impression that many of you here were expecting the Hobbit films to be on the same level of quality as the LOTR films?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4052386 - 12/17/14 11:55 PM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I get the impression that many of you here were expecting the Hobbit films to be on the same level of quality as the LOTR films?

I had them down as the Ewoks movies compared to Star Wars smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4052388 - 12/18/14 12:00 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I didn't have much expectation- I didn't really know what it was going to be like, of course we all have hope to see good movies. And there is the fact that there is something that will inevitably drawn comparisons- the first films.

But I also believe a good director can make a good film out of almost any story- even if one were to successfully argue that LOTR is inherently deeper because of better material to work with: better characters and plots and so forth, a good director can still overcome that. A very good script in principle can be ruined by lackluster execution, likewise, even a story that seems on paper to do not much happening can be a classic. Case in point: the near acclaim that Reservoir Dogs got, which is mostly a lot of dialogue and not a lot of action, notwithstanding one or two scenes, what drew audiences and critics to it was the sense of tension that it conveyed, but by and large it's just a couple of guys talking in a warehouse recounting what went wrong. Great movie, though.

#4052390 - 12/18/14 12:02 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I knew it wouldn't be as epic, but I did have high expectations.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4052395 - 12/18/14 12:11 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I have to disagree with Mechanus on the issue of the characters. The dwarves simply weren't as interesting or compelling compared to the characters in Fellowship. It was difficult for me to know who was who even with their rhyming names. After a while the dwarves were just one big indistinguishable blob.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4052396 - 12/18/14 12:14 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

That's how it turned out, that's correct. But Peter Jackson could have screwed up the LOTR characters and made them just as lame. That's the point I am making. I totally agree that the dwarves in this film don't do anything for me, they actually remind me more of humans and take away any sense of the fact that they are supposed to be dwarves with any of their own memorable personalities. But it didn't have to be that way, that's how it turned out. What if Jackson FUBARed LOTR, and having learned his lesson, did better this time around?

#4052449 - 12/18/14 02:10 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
okay someone 'splayn to me. WTF GANDALF ?
Click to reveal..
so gandalf knew all along bilbo had the ring, even if he didnt know it was THE ONE "wide eyes" and he waited 115 years so sauron army could regain strengh to do something about it ? the #%&*$#, just a few dwarves and a bunch of elves plus unarmored civilians manage to halt sauron forces, wtf they didnt call everyone else (high elves from riverdain, the other dwarven tribes with the arkenstone as bargain, and whoever to finish him while he was WEAK !!!)

And rastagard aparently tends for the forest but he didnt notice it was poisoned by a dark spell untill spiders were knocking on this door ? (quite literally) why did they knock and then left ? he took the taint away on the staff cristal, was that a beacon ?

also i don't understand why the galadriel who is actually wraith, can banish sauron, explode an orc into oblivion but was afraid of 9 dead MAN, when even aragorn beat them with a stick......a flaming stick, but a stick regardless.

and why didnt gandalft use light against the orcs like saruman was doing against the nine ? i remember he used some kind of force push against azog in previous movie.

#4052453 - 12/18/14 02:20 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Blade, in the time of The Hobbit, Gandalf was considered something of a crank with a Sauron hobbyhorse pet topic. He was the Gray, and one of the few wizards without portfolio....mostly because nobody wanted to deal with his paranoia about Sauron, whom had been destroyed.

Rastagast figured only slightly in the book and was just another wizard like Gandalf, out of the political circles.

Galadriel is a dark and powerful Elf Queen who has her own agenda in which none of the subject matter of any of the books figures in. She is just above it all, and everyone is pretty happy about it. Sort of like Tom Bombadil, who was powerful enough to put on the ring and not have it effect him at all...but decided to just hang out with his hippy chick wife communing with nature and singing tra-la-la-la-la.

Gandalf was pretty weak in The Hobbit and during the Fellowship. It's not until he died and leveled up to White Wizard and usurped Saruman as head of the council that he got his super mojo powers.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4052464 - 12/18/14 02:53 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Actually in the book (have not seen the third movie) Gandolf didnt know about the ring until between the hobbit and the LOTR. He knew about the ring but never knew Bilbo found a magic invisibility ring. Bilbo did tell the dwarves about it right before they were captured by the elves in Mirkwood but by then Gandalf was gone and didnt return until the siege right before the battle of the five armies. Gandalf first get's his suspicions about the ring at the end of the hobbit but doesnt know for sure about the ring until the beginning of LOTR.

Also Gandalf wasnt just a wizard he was a Maia (demigod) sent to Arda to fight Sauron. Sauron was a fallen Maia. When Arda first came to be these demigods were sent down to help the various races survive. They were specifically forbidden to claim power for themselves though. So when Sauron had the rings created his broke their number one rule which is why Gandalf was sent to stop him and given the red ring (one of the three elven rings.) But again, Gandalf cant fight Sauron directly because that would bring power to himself which is why he runs all over the place shepherding the various people.

Galadriel was just an Elf though she did have one of the three elf rings. At the time of the books though the elf's magic was beginning to fade and they were making plans to leave across the ocean to the west and die out. The elf rings were the only set of the rings that were not corrupted by Sauron so there was a lot of fear in the elves that taking part again would corrupt their rings and their race and prevent them from traveling to the west. This is why the elves for the most part just flat refuse to help during LOTRs.

Tom Bombadil was more powerful than Sauron but refused to get involved in any way. There is somewhat of a mystery surrounding him because he doesnt fit into any of the mythology of the series nor was his character ever expounded upon.

Also you have to remember that the movies make no sense at all. Things that happened in the movies didnt happen in the books and some of them dont fit with the mythology of the books either. The script writers didnt think a lot of this #%&*$# through nor did they consult with any people intricately familiar with the books. They just did things because it looked cool and because they could.

The Orcs are not hurt by light. They just dont like it (over sensitive eyes).

Last edited by Master; 12/18/14 02:56 AM.
#4052507 - 12/18/14 07:54 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Like these movies thought some scenes are overstreched and boring.
..sure that cannot compare with LOTR and weird thing, IMO, is that the special effects are not as good, and even from a lower quality , than in the LOTR trilogy.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4052513 - 12/18/14 09:04 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
All I can say about the first film was that the 48fps HD 3D gave me a headache which didn't do anything to improve my thoughts about the film.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4052538 - 12/18/14 10:12 AM Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [Re: Mechanus]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I found the first two overlong, juvenile on presentation, and somewhat liberal with the story as others here have mentioned.
But if box-office returns produce enough revenue for Jackson to fund the 'Dambusters' projected film, I'll be happy to pay my money and sit through the third part in the cinema

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.