Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4051889 - 12/17/14 04:38 AM My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads...  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Updated: 11/24

I couldn't quite fit 100 songs on 6 CDs as these songs are typically a little longer than '80s Wave/Pop. Note that, as with the '80s pic, no one band has more than two songs per disc.

This will probably be my last music thread since the music I listen to is no longer being created and thus quantity is finite. I believe that over the past couple of years (with your help) I've acquired about all that I want. smile A 100 song count (approx. 8 hrs.) to me is a nice self-imposed limitation for organizing a "Greatest Hits" collection without being overwhelmed with music, and to create optional CDs. This listing may change over time with replacements (a stronger song will replace a weaker one).

I see no reason to create a thread for classic rock since I almost always listen to an album entirely.

++++++++++

Anyway, I'm going to post a few of my favorite videos from this selection, post yours if you want (I know ballads aren't popular with some of you). But mainly if you get the chance, please point out any obvious omissions from my listing.

Thanks again and enjoy...

Some final acts as a complete member band...

Last edited by MarkG; 12/25/14 12:34 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4051900 - 12/17/14 06:13 AM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Corrections:

1. Fixed Motley Crue to original official video.

2. Pic cropped two track 16s on bottom (another Journey and U2)...fixed.

Last edited by MarkG; 12/17/14 06:28 AM.
#4051916 - 12/17/14 08:43 AM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
An odd mix of things, some power pop, some metal.

If I were to make a list that included Foreigner's
I Want To Know What Love Is, I would populated it
with other power pop masterpieces, like Walker Bros
Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore, and Who's Love Reign
O'er me. And it would be a fairly short list.

#4051991 - 12/17/14 01:23 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Not really odd, PV1. If you look at other "100 Greatest Rock Ballads" you'll see pretty much the same songs I've listed, centered around '80s glam with other rock and metal thrown in.

Unlike the '80s Wave/Pop list, I ran short of songs before the 6th CD (~100 songs) so I used filler which IMO comes close (e.g. the two '90s Duran Duran). Some of those can be replaced if needed.

++++++++++

Loverboy is coming to Baton Rouge in March to a very small venue (325-seat Manship Theater), thinking about it before it sells out but tickets are kinda pricy ($150-$400).

++++++++++

EDIT: Nice description (with examples including the Foreigner song) of a Power Rock Ballad...
http://www.backtotheeighties.net/power-ballads/

Last edited by MarkG; 12/17/14 02:05 PM.
#4052032 - 12/17/14 02:41 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One more thing...

Even if you're not into the Journey I posted above (last song with Escape/Frontier lineup), how cool is it watching Steve Smith pound those sticks? Neil Peart gives Smith lots of praise in his books.

Nice to watch a musician really getting into what they're playing...

The sun is in the east
#4052306 - 12/17/14 09:18 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Cars: Who's Gonna Drive you Home

White Snake: Is this Love

This is a good one
Skid Row: I Remember you

Last edited by Top Gun; 12/17/14 09:23 PM.
#4052349 - 12/17/14 10:37 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
It kinda bothered me that I didn't have any of The Cars in my '80s selection, especially since their songs are so prominent in '80s movie classics like Last American Virgin and of course the famous diving board scene in Fast Times... (even if the song itself was late '70s). One reason why *my* '80s start in '78 and end in '93, although this selection isn't era specific so it wouldn't matter.

My personal slower-groove favorite from The Cars (I had the early 8-tracks)...

I'm going to have to find a place for Drive, possibly replacing Sheriff's When I'm With You, a power ballad (by my understanding) but kinda weak.

The Skid Row video reminds me to note that, while songs were selected to fit onto CDs (time constraints) and with no artist having more than two songs per disc, the first CD always includes my favorites, including I Remember You (and Sebastian Bach always has nice things to say about being a Rush fan).

Last edited by MarkG; 12/17/14 11:11 PM.
#4052541 - 12/18/14 10:18 AM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

Complete is so final - I'm preeetty sure you missed some gems.

For your consideration, Mark:

W.A.S.P. - Forever Free

W.A.S.P. - Hold On To My Heart (from the "Crimson Idol" concept album - concept albums are so very 70/80's)

"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
#4052608 - 12/18/14 01:38 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The only thing I knew about W.A.S.P. is that they had a song, "F*** Like An Animal" and I don't even know the song, just the shocking title.

And yet they came up with this?! confused

You bet I'm making room for these, not often I can groove to a song on the very first listen (and a pair at that).

Much appreciated.

Last edited by MarkG; 12/18/14 01:41 PM.
#4052611 - 12/18/14 01:45 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So what defining characteristics make a song a "power ballad"?

I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4052613 - 12/18/14 01:53 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

PM, everyone is fuzzy on it, I don't believe you can find a definitive answer.

There are plenty discussions that argue it though...
"Sweet Child 'O Mine" is not a power ballad!

#4052631 - 12/18/14 02:20 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: MarkG

I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

PM, everyone is fuzzy on it, I don't believe you can find a definitive answer.

There are plenty discussions that argue it though...
"Sweet Child 'O Mine" is not a power ballad!

Thanks for that link! It reminds me of the time when I got chewed out by a friend at college because I made the mistake of referring to AC/DC as a "heavy metal" band. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4052634 - 12/18/14 02:24 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
In the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary, an older DJ refers to Rush as "a heavy metal band". smile

The sun is in the east
#4052635 - 12/18/14 02:28 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary, an older DJ refers to Rush as "a heavy metal band". smile
LOL Ok, in my defense, AC/DC is much closer to being heavy metal than Rush ever was. smile

#4052650 - 12/18/14 02:50 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
LOL Ok, in my defense, AC/DC is much closer to being heavy metal than Rush ever was. smile

I'm sure everyone agrees with that. smile

++++++++++

While I don't have a concrete definition of a rock/power ballad, here's what I've observed...

The three quintessential rock ballads are:

1. Poison Every Rose Has It's Thorn
2. Motley Crue Home Sweet Home
3. Def Leppard Bringin' On The Heartbreak

You're likely to find these songs on everyone's list (I have the Poison song if only because it's expected, not that I dislike it but it's so overplayed).

Nazareth's "Love Hurts" is considered to be one of the first harder hitting ballads and Styx's "Babe" one of the first sappy ballads (followed by Journey's "Open Arms" a couple or so years later). I have all of these, even "Babe". While it may be a bit sappy even for me (and I'm a Styx fan), I'm old enough to remember this song in Bride/Groom dances and it's pleasant memories.

I may replace Styx's "Don't Let It End" with the much older "Lady". I was even going to use "First Time" if I needed more filler, instead I'll use W.A.S.P. to bring more balance to the "power" side.

#4052654 - 12/18/14 02:57 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It also seems like "power ballad" refers specifically to the 1980's. I don't think that genre even existed before the 80's and I never see any songs from the 1990's getting that label.

#4052659 - 12/18/14 03:00 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Kurt Cobain singlehandedly destroyed it all before destroying himself.

The sun is in the east
#4052666 - 12/18/14 03:10 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just want to point out that some hair bands made some pretty cool songs...

The same band that made this...

...also made this...

The sun is in the east
#4052668 - 12/18/14 03:12 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Kurt Cobain singlehandedly destroyed it all before destroying himself.

Nirvana never made any.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4052681 - 12/18/14 03:26 PM Re: My complete listing of Rock/Power Ballads... [Re: MarkG]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH

I'm sure everyone agrees with that. smile

++++++++++

While I don't have a concrete definition of a rock/power ballad, here's what I've observed...

The three quintessential rock ballads are:

1. Poison Every Rose Has It's Thorn
2. Motley Crue Home Sweet Home
3. Def Leppard Bringin' On The Heartbreak

You're likely to find these songs on everyone's list (I have the Poison song if only because it's expected, not that I dislike it but it's so overplayed).

Nazareth's "Love Hurts" is considered to be one of the first harder hitting ballads and Styx's "Babe" one of the first sappy ballads (followed by Journey's "Open Arms" a couple or so years later). I have all of these, even "Babe". While it may be a bit sappy even for me (and I'm a Styx fan), I'm old enough to remember this song in Bride/Groom dances and it's pleasant memories.

I may replace Styx's "Don't Let It End" with the much older "Lady". I was even going to use "First Time" if I needed more filler, instead I'll use W.A.S.P. to bring more balance to the "power" side.

To me, a Rock Ballad is a hit love song that was totally opposite from what the group normally puts out. IMO, Journey isn't a rock band so Open Arms would just be a normal love song from that type of band. Your first three examples were good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.