Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4049110 - 12/11/14 02:16 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Originally Posted By: Winding Man
We have been round and round this discussion so many times - we have had it both harder and easier than it is at the moment and still we had moaners.

We have added a myriad of settings to help each user get to his nirvana and as Creaghorn says - its quite possible with the current setup.

However what we cannot do is instill the reality of WAR into the player, that would make every man try to preserve what is most precious to him - his life and to return to ones loved ones intact.
We cannot create the fatigue, the cold, the weariness that sets in when flying these primitive machines out to what was for many certain death....if not from the enemy then from failure of ones own machine or even pilot error.

In the end its but a game and the player can be as reckless as he wants.

So you can all analyse and compare stats and outcomes from WOFF with history... to death - what is missing is the high probability of YOUR DEATH and how you would behave if you really did fly in WW1....

And that you can only do yourselves and even then only to a limited degree because you all know you will not really die.

We did discuss having the option in workshops that if you die in WOFF your PC is reformatted....

WM

Don't change a thing WM!
WOFF is awsum as is sir.

No worries - there is ample scope in the workshops for all users we believe!

Pleased you are enjoying it.

WM

OBD Software
#4049153 - 12/11/14 03:30 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Winding Man]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

We have added a myriad of settings to help each user get to his nirvana ......

If you cram any more settings in the workshop I'll need a computer science diploma to figure it out.

Wait.... WOFF is a GAME?!

#4049216 - 12/11/14 05:47 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Winding Man]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
We have been round and round this discussion so many times - we have had it both harder and easier than it is at the moment and still we had moaners.

We have added a myriad of settings to help each user get to his nirvana and as Creaghorn says - its quite possible with the current setup.

However what we cannot do is instill the reality of WAR into the player, that would make every man try to preserve what is most precious to him - his life and to return to ones loved ones intact.
We cannot create the fatigue, the cold, the weariness that sets in when flying these primitive machines out to what was for many certain death....if not from the enemy then from failure of ones own machine or even pilot error.

So you can all analyse and compare stats and outcomes from WOFF with history... to death - what is missing is the high probability of YOUR DEATH and how you would behave if you really did fly in WW1....

And that you can only do yourselves and even then only to a limited degree because you all know you will not really die.

We did discuss having the option in workshops that if you die in WOFF your PC is reformatted....

WM

You've done a great job of creating numerous settings to suit the various rigs that we employ and numerous settings to allow us to fine tune the game to our desire. Certainly the best job of any WWI flight sim ever yet conceived.

I've found that I play much more cautiously than I have in prior games. Maybe because I am older. One thing I've noticed over the various sims I've played is that I will get up to a certain number of kills and then I will make an absolutely stupid numbskull error and get my pilot killed. I will know it is stupid when I do it and I will do it anyway. Flight Sim Fatigue Syndrome?

Please do not take anything I write or say as "moaning". There might be a couple of minor details that I'd like to see but they are trivial and possibly not obtainable given the framework you have to work with. And they would only be personal preference for immersion purposes. You've created the best WWI Flight Sim on the market and it is not likely to be dislodged from this pedestal any time soon.

Thank You
Stephen E Hood

#4049222 - 12/11/14 05:56 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Creaghorn]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
Anyway, are you sure those numbers are the overall number of sorties, or maybe rather sorties with enemy contact, or where enemies were spotted?

Hi Creaghorn,

I'm not sure at all...lol

I got these numbers from a friend who collects this type of info. He's been collecting this data from all sorts of contributors for about 30 years, so the data is only as good as the contributors. For instance, I gave him the numbers including individual victory detail on Lanoe Hawker from a book I've got on him.

So I was just tossing those numbers out there for discussion, and like you, I suspect the sortie count is low on some of the pilots, although Albert Ball's sortie count looks reasonable as he was only on active scout duty for about 120 days (not including his flying in a recon role) for the entirety of his career.

No "moaning" here either. I appreciate that I can adjust the engagement opportunities to my liking in WOFF, a wonderul feature!

Thanks!

Buck

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4049252 - 12/11/14 07:03 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Glad we got that all settled then.
The "refomat PC on WOFF death" feature had me a little worried.

#4049257 - 12/11/14 07:14 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Glad we got that all settled then.
The "refomat PC on WOFF death" feature had me a little worried.

Kind of like your father warning you that he will take the car keys away from you the first time you get a dent in the fender!! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4049274 - 12/11/14 07:41 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada

Yep, if folks want more or less action, they can fiddle to their hearts content (WOFF is very flexible, one of its great attributes, no need for any moaning!). For me, it would just be nice to know what a semi-historical starting point is regarding 'regional air activity'. My main interest is simply having the correct (ballpark) number of airplanes in the sky on a given mission. One of the three regional-air-activities settings is going be best for getting this semi-historical number of planes in the air, and I really hope to one day know which would be considered by the developers as 'most historical' (and I'll take it from there, no moaning smile2 ).

#4050018 - 12/13/14 04:16 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Just shot down 2 Camels, and both were flamers (not that I would mind... biggrin ).
The first went down in flames; the second literally exploded.
So, maybe they go up in flames easier now.
But that is by far more realistic than all the breaking-apart aircraft I see
in "another sim" - where the debries even hit me and demolish my prop.
The aces wouldn't have said "Go closer!" if that had happened.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4050778 - 12/15/14 09:58 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The aircraft flights, and density is adjusted over the years and regions by the Manager, and also varies when major battles are going on in your region. Many variables at play, but until every single aircraft that ever flew is in there in the sim, and therefore every squad is in there too, you will never get a "perfect" amount of craft in all regions at all times. The settings we set WOFF too are what we think it should be, given what we know of the mechanics behind it all.

Even then someone will say mmmm I am sure squadron x never flew at 7am etc or more than x flights a day or without eating cheese first, so just fly and enjoy it's as good as it gets!

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4051764 - 12/16/14 09:59 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Polovski]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Polovski
The settings we set WOFF too are what we think it should be, given what we know of the mechanics behind it all.

Thanks Pol. WOFF installs with 'regional air activity' set to medium, so I'll stick with that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM