Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4050495 - 12/14/14 07:38 PM That Feeling when you can save a Comrade...  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

...is one of the most special feelings WOFF can generate in me.
Just had a defensive patrol over our northern airfields Jabbeke and Vlisseghem (flying in September 1917).
Our 6 Albatros D.V ran into a patrol of 5 S.E.5a, which engaged us immediately.
The fighting went for a while without results for either side, and when the British decided to fly home,
we could not stop them nor catch up with them - we had to let them go.

Well, almost.
I had come quite low, ca. 1000 meter, and was about to fly home to Varsenaere nearby, when I sighted
3 fighting aircraft over Vlisseghem very low. Two S.E.5a were chasing one of our Albatros D.III around.
Coming closer, I saw (with the help of LABELS) it was Alfred Weiss from my Staffel, Jasta 28w.

I sneaked up on one Tommy and hit him full hard. He tried to fight me, but I could finish him off.
The other must have been hit by Flak, or Weisss shot him down - Alfred Weiss was saved, and he landed
right here at Vlisseghem, while I flew the short distance home.

The claim was confirmed immediately, and I saw I had even shot down a British ace: Sholto Douglas!
With the confirmation came my promotion to Oberleutnant!
Geeze, I hope my big head will fit through the mess door this evening.

Devs, this is such a fine sim - I hope one day you will find the time to fly it yourself... biggrin

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4050497 - 12/14/14 07:43 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great write up Olham, you saved his bacon there. It's enjoyable to read good combat reports and that you are enjoying being immersed in it.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4050504 - 12/14/14 08:10 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

You have captured perfectly one of my favorite aspects of WOFF. I cycle through Labels: Activity looking for friendlies being abused by bandits. I'm usually too far away to make an immediate Impact like you have. But I frequently can sneak up unobserved as bandits head home as a singleton. Well Done sir!

Last edited by busdriver; 12/15/14 02:24 PM.
#4050527 - 12/14/14 09:26 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
That is a big bonus.
The save of a flight mate and a easy shot as the enemy is fixating on your pal. Winning!

#4050536 - 12/14/14 09:47 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Somewhat related to this thread has anybody noticed the amazing improvement in the AI behavior since 2.0?
I have been very impressed with the change. Their behavior feels, dare I say it, quite "realistic" and "human-like" so far.

#4050713 - 12/15/14 05:48 AM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
gecko Offline
gecko  Offline

Saved a pal and managed to mess up RAF leadership in WWII at the same time! A certain infantry corporal may never know who to thank.

#4050832 - 12/15/14 01:53 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
...and it feels equally bad when you loose 'em. Like my Wingman Reginald Ross. I flew with him for quite some time - and he earned 2 (!) Military Crosses and a Distunguished Service Order Medal during that time (okay, mostly, because he was such a spineless Kill-Stealer LOL).
I lost him the most bitter way possible: He ran into me while landing - because of my favored "Straight Line Formation". He instantly transormed into a Comet, while I was still able to land properly.
Remember that I told you that you can get confirmed Kills by ramming down Enemy Planes instead of shooting them? Well, I got also "credited" for downing Reginald... my "doubious action" got reported...
Too sad... I really would have enjoyed watching a normal NPC like Reginald turn into a Super-Ace with more Kills than most HA's...

#4050848 - 12/15/14 02:13 PM Re: That Feeling when you can save a Comrade... [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Nice write-up Olham, and I agree completely with you and others here. It is a wonderful feeling when you can bring everyone back safe and sound. And it can be quite crushing when you lose a flight mate in battle. WOFF has a way of really getting one invested in his virtual comrades, which is yet another testimony to just how immersive this sim can be.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM